Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

watched an ep of Altered Carbon last night. interesting premise thats heavily centered on body dysmorphia

humans reverse engineered alien tech that lets them store consciousness in a little chip that fits in your neck. unless it or your head is destroyed, they can recover you and put you in another body. oh and rich ppl back their brains up every other day so they can take headshots without much lost. one pilot scene had a family collapse in shock as their murdered 7 year old daughter's consciousness was returned to them inhabiting a 60 year old 'government issue restitution' body. really intriguing show so far

reminds me of nier: automata at first glance, but maybe it's because that's the last thing i played that had these sorts of themes. well, not the body dysmorphia i guess, but the rest of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Agile Vector posted:

tbh no, id play the heck out of what he described but then again thats basically saints row 4 and i already have played the heck out of that game

I mean it COULD be more than that.

The original trailer, posted way back in 2013, featured a police unit probably specializing in cyber-psychosis (in the table top game the more hardware you install the more humanity you lose, and at some point you just go crazy). If the game focused on you as a member it could be a gritty personal heart-of-darkness narrative.

The best chapter in neuromancer is the opening one imo where it focuses on just how scrappy and desperate everyone is, I hope the game focuses on that vs you driving around in some tricked out delorian fighting off wave after wave of augmented super soldiers. I'd still probably enjoy that, but it doesn't play to the genre's strengths.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

thread namesake showing some activity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2kIfS6fb8

at this rate it might almost be ready for release by the title year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

Does it really need to be anything more than that though?

it's cd projekt red

it ought to be more, and it won't be.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
the trailer doesnt really do a whole lot for me either, not grimy enough to warrant the punk part of cyberpunk. otoh when typical game progression means youre wealthier than 99% of people by midgame, how do you handle that in a cyberpunk game?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If it's anything like W3 you'll earn ten million cyber-yen for helping your mom read her vr mail

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The visual style reminded me a bit of the last Judge Dredd movie with the decaying concrete municipal architecture butting up against high tech skyscrapers.
I like it, and the faux 80's styling doesn't really bother me too much. I wanna see some actual gameplay though ffs.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i'm going to design the least satisfying game. you start with 1000 yen. your first mission is to crack a convenience store terminal. on completion, you get 1000, but subtract 300 for taxes, and you have to spend 800 to repair your robo-bike

continue? y/n

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
everybody set up an Amiga or emulator and play Neuromancer

(that’s basically how you need to budget in Neuromancer)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also Ministry is touring again this fall, with Carpenter Brut

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

i'm going to design the least satisfying game. you start with 1000 yen. your first mission is to crack a convenience store terminal. on completion, you get 1000, but subtract 300 for taxes, and you have to spend 800 to repair your robo-bike

continue? y/n

$8 for robo-bike repair is a pretty good deal

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Also I'm re-watching the expanse and miller's season 1 storyline is really cyberpunk and enjoyable.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

George posted:

If it's anything like W3 you'll earn ten million cyber-yen for helping your mom read her vr mail

idk i felt like in w3 i was always out of money up until near the end.

there were long stretches where i couldn't afford to repair my armor/weapons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

idk i felt like in w3 i was always out of money up until near the end.

there were long stretches where i couldn't afford to repair my armor/weapons.

you forgot the first rule of CRPGs: loot everything from everyone and sell it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also exploit the gently caress out of broken barter/crafting mechanics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fallout 1 was fun, if your barter was high enough you could sell a flare to a merchant for an identical flare + 5 caps, or whatever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ADINSX posted:

Also I'm re-watching the expanse and miller's season 1 storyline is really cyberpunk and enjoyable.

its a good show

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the majority of s2 of the expanse is legit some of the best sf i've ever watched

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

:krad:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NICE! but imo the asian-cyberpunk is getting played out. it was refreshing that Mute was german-style

actually, has there been any russian-styled cyberpunk stuff? that'd preserve the alienation of half of everything using another alphabet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

george alec effinger's middle eastern cyberpunk world was pretty good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

:agreed:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in a very stevensonesque move domino's starts fixing american roads

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
be honest, everyone hopes that amazon hq2 shows up near them

can't wait too be incorporated into an burbclave

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't. we've got enough problems with google trying to cyberize a few acres of our waterfront

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Krankenstyle posted:

NICE! but imo the asian-cyberpunk is getting played out. it was refreshing that Mute was german-style

actually, has there been any russian-styled cyberpunk stuff? that'd preserve the alienation of half of everything using another alphabet

I don't know if it's what you mean but the book covers of NeonCity have always made me want to find out what the books are about

https://omen2501.deviantart.com/art/Sins-of-NeonCity-114274103

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

you forgot the first rule of CRPGs: loot everything from everyone and sell it

early on everything is nearly worthless. entire swords sell for 6-7 gold and it cost over 700+ to repair the weapon sometimes early on.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

honestly an amazon megalith would be one of several large, and deeply embedded in national institutional functions, corps in the area so itd only add a more diverse mix of corp scum

(im also a corp scum but at least my corp isn't due to the internet)

i don't. we've got enough problems with google trying to cyberize a few acres of our waterfront

cyber as gently caress

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Same-day delivery is free in the Amazon Arcology :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Same-day delivery is free in the Amazon Arcology :)

poo poo sign me the gently caress up!

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

lol get ready for ads in the literal brick and mortar of repaired buildings and such.

prisoner of waffles posted:

be honest, everyone hopes that amazon hq2 shows up near them

can't wait too be incorporated into an burbclave

you could move to a north Dallas suburb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh yeah i liked the first one, didnt get around to the second. puttin that on my reading list!

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know if it's what you mean but the book covers of NeonCity have always made me want to find out what the books are about

https://omen2501.deviantart.com/art/Sins-of-NeonCity-114274103

cool, might check those out too. i basically just mean the aesthetic, give it a twist from the stuff weve seen before a thousand times

also i just remembered The Fortunate Fall by Raphael Carter, v good
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fortunate_Fall_(novel) (doesnt contain plot spoilers)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

proof that libertarianism is the one true path

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dont need expensive deliverators if you just fix the roads

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im mildly disappointed they aren't fixing them in Detroit because that would be the best ocp corporate cosplay I've ever seen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

croudsourced copyright enforcement, or how to narc on your local showing the match, entirely by accident

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

as usual, what the government pioneers, the private sector does better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my wision is augmented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDdaMy8KNE

• Locked thread