Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bilirubin posted:

...gourmet cheese shop in the US... a block of Black Diamond...

Wait, what? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
finally canada has something more important to boast about than burning down the white house

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Helsing posted:

tbf I can imagine finding food deserts in parts of Canada too and not just poor FN areas that can't afford more.

And unless you're in a very immigrant heavy area, yeah, even major cities often have incredibly safe, bland garbage and nothing else in mainstream grocery shops.

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Jun 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dairy Tariff posted:

“And the big thing about supply management is that it doesn’t cost the government a cent. Consumers pay the full cost of production.”

that's not actually a good thing bruce

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
why wouldnt you want to buy american cheese? it comes in a handy spray can and no cheese is oranger

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Yinlock posted:

that's not actually a good thing bruce

its what makes Canada milk trade protected and the US wants it so bad but they call it communist canuckistan over their supply system so lots of mixed messages going on here, really just read the article, its so good.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i honestly had no clue milk was like, communist style command economy up here

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
why do you think its 15 bucks for a block of loving cheddar earwax here

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the funny thing is i prob would be like "oh that has to be imported"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

US dairy is highly subsidized, poorly regulated, and still manages to lose money for all dairy farmers who aren't giant agro-conglomerates to the point that there's an epidemic of dairy farmer suicide going on, but hey I get to buy a gallon of garbage milk for 99 cents

Canadian dairy is highly subsidized, decently regulated, and provides a good living for small Canadian dairy farmers, but oh no, I have to spend $4 CDN to buy a gallon of decent milk

supply side management drives people insane because it runs counter to the general economic principles we were all told to value, regardless of the actual tangible benefits producers get from that kind of deal.

there's an episode in the "dirt money" series about the heist of maple syrup in quebec, and the same system exists there with maple syrup and you can see the same debate play out between people who want to just sell whatever they produce until the entire market crashes and everyone loses their homes vs the supply side management guys who have kept the price stable and people producing for 20 odd years.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Jun 12, 2018

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
oh thank goodness supply management is God's work. so I guess all these farmers are going to bail my rear end out of I go bankrupt a

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agnosticnixie posted:

And unless you're in a very immigrant heavy area, yeah, even major cities often have incredibly safe, bland garbage and nothing else in mainstream grocery shops.

stipulating that there are like 7 major cities in Canada, I disagree with that. even No Frills stocks Indian sauces and Chinese spices and whatnot

but yes, as always, the answer is to live in a diverse community. usually cheaper than huddling with a bunch of white people, too

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dinosaurtrain posted:

oh thank goodness supply management is God's work. so I guess all these farmers are going to bail my rear end out of I go bankrupt a

:rip: Dinosaurtrain. Big milk got him in the middle of a post.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

stipulating that there are like 7 major cities in Canada, I disagree with that. even No Frills stocks Indian sauces and Chinese spices and whatnot

but yes, as always, the answer is to live in a diverse community. usually cheaper than huddling with a bunch of white people, too

I meant in the US although my longest time living in the states was Philly where you get the bland borderline food desert grocery places and the "ethnic" places that suburban college kids leave bad reviews on yelp about because they stock poo poo that grosses them out like goat.

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Jun 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dairy Tariff posted:

its what makes Canada milk trade protected and the US wants it so bad but they call it communist canuckistan over their supply system so lots of mixed messages going on here, really just read the article, its so good.

oh i didn't know that, i figured it was more neolib doublespeak

im learning a lot, about how communism is good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Helsing posted:

It broke my brain too but that is how desperate they are for good cheese

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

It broke my brain too but that is how desperate they are for good cheese

Please tell me it was like 20 year old specially aged stuff not a block of Medium I’d get at Metro for 4.99.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arivia posted:

Please tell me it was like 20 year old specially aged stuff not a block of Medium I’d get at Metro for 4.99.

It was the 2 year old sharp, so it probably costs $6.99 at Metro
:goleft:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

Try and leave the chips and dew aisle you goonlord, even suburban Safeways in white rear end places like Langley or Ladner have pretty much anything under the sun as far as ethnic or unusual food goes. Have you even been in a grocery store in your life?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

It was the 2 year old sharp, so it probably costs $6.99 at Metro
:goleft:

Lol goddamn poor American motherfuckers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

even the suburbs (read: brampton, mississauga, markham) have dedicated ethnic grocery stores and carry multiple brands of all the base spices and pre-made sauces for a variety of options.

and yeah, i can walk into a random no frills and find lemongrass stalks, galangal, and birds-eye chilies no problem.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/GuillaumeTC/status/1006270297232805893

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so yeah i did some reading and apparently milk production in canada is controlled by quebeck mafia cartel

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

by rule of the canadian constitution the prime minister must personally inspect and taste a sample from each jug of milk before they can be sold

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Eh, who doesn't like to skim a little cream, you know?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

by rule of the canadian constitution the prime minister must personally inspect and taste a sample from each jug of milk before they can be sold

This is why we sell it in bags, it's a loophole

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Baloogan posted:

so yeah i did some reading and apparently milk production in canada is controlled by quebeck mafia cartel

tell him about the margarine, George

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try and leave the chips and dew aisle you goonlord, even suburban Safeways in white rear end places like Langley or Ladner have pretty much anything under the sun as far as ethnic or unusual food goes. Have you even been in a grocery store in your life?

Way to venture 20 whole minutes outside the city of Vancouver for this claim when stocking and fliers are largely determined regionally with some small degree of input by individual store managers. There are WAY more SKUs for misc ethnic foods in the lower mainland stores than the rest of the province.

You do realize that "whiteass" Langley has a population that's ~20% first generation immigrant?

In the great Canadian hinterland of "everywhere but major cities" it's a shock if you hit 5%.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

In the great Canadian hinterland of "everywhere but major cities" it's a shock if you hit 5%.

Haha, I just searched Census data for a few places close to the US border and got a significant American-born population of presumed draft dodgers. I assume we all agree that they don't count for ethnic food though. Maybe "mother tongue -> non-official languages -> non-aboriginal languages" is best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

Way to venture 20 whole minutes outside the city of Vancouver for this claim when stocking and fliers are largely determined regionally with some small degree of input by individual store managers. There are WAY more SKUs for misc ethnic foods in the lower mainland stores than the rest of the province.

You do realize that "whiteass" Langley has a population that's ~20% first generation immigrant?

Lmao I highly doubt that you even live in this region if 1) you think Langley is only 20 minutes from Vancouver, and 2) you don't think it's white as gently caress

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Superstore has a decent ethnic foods aisle, all the new Supermega Sobey's got them as well. If you want the good poo poo though you need to goto independent grocers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nations is pretty decent, perhaps obviously.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao I highly doubt that you even live in this region if 1) you think Langley is only 20 minutes from Vancouver, and 2) you don't think it's white as gently caress

I count Boundary Road as Vancouver and try to avoid driving at rush hour. Google maps supports me on this without even factoring "speeding by 20km/hr" into the equation:

https://goo.gl/maps/WyBHC9UVsfB2 (18-24 mins at night)

James Baud has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Nov 11, 2018

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/paulvieira/status/1006547302968897537

it's a good thing canada has nuclear balistic missiles and an armed forces that rivals north korea's in might because justin trudeau can threaten donald trump with hellfire to bargain a reasonable outcome to this assualt on our Noble Dairy Producers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You're really loving salty about dairy farmers earning a living aren't you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"earning" :rolleyes:

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
pretty much. why should dairy farmers get to drive around in massive lifted trucks and make shitloads of money on the capital appreciation of their farmland while receiving protections no one else paying taxes can enjoy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what do you make that should or could be supply constrained?

i mean other than shitposts, because lord knows we'd love some supply management there

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
why do so many canadians have to toil under the boot of the 'gig' economy while our dearest dairy farmers enjoy the privilege of government protections to earn a living

chew on that the next time some foodora cyclist delivers your subway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Please don’t change your avatar it’s confusing.

e: Supply management is probably bad but crab in the bucket arguments against it aren’t particularly convincing.