Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Imagine being this joyless

For more examples, see the E3 conference threads on this very forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If your writing of an abusive character causes the player to sympathize with and eventually save the abuser then you done hosed up, whether you initially elected to examine the issue honestly or not.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

For more examples, see the E3 conference threads on this very forum

Or really any thread in this forum

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

The Colonel posted:

Tales from the borderlands is also better than the walking dead season 1 though so if that wasn't gonna do it i don't think anything was

It's like Borderlands except funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snackula posted:

It's like Borderlands except funny.

and also, with characters

turns out when you write a game to have characters it's a lot easier to like the characters

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Tales from the borderlands owns

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tales from the borderlands was so bizarrely excellent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Imagine being this joyless
is joyless like, the new word this year or something, to talk about people you don't like

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

is joyless like, the new word this year or something, to talk about people you don't like

It is the word for people who just never seem to like anything that's fun

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

If your writing of an abusive character causes the player to sympathize with and eventually save the abuser then you done hosed up, whether you initially elected to examine the issue honestly or not.

Is it possible that the abusive stepfather angle is just someones interpretation and that is not how he was actually written?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't play borderlands the presequel but I thought it was a neat idea that you were playing as characters already established previously, even if they were characters who didn't really have much to begin with other than "is a boss in borderlands 2."

Too bad the dlc jack doppelganger wasn't voiced by anthony burch though since the doppelganger voice acting was great in BL2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

yeah my point is more that its less the abusive character and more the situation and characters around him. kenny could be literally anything and id still have sided with him because everyone else in that story is so fundamentally unlikable and unhelpful

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

It is the word for people who just never seem to like anything that's fun
yeah that's what I thought, so it is 2018's "sperg"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So they used the residentevil2.com domain, heres hoping they renewed residenteviloutbreak.com for a reason too :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Liking things is actually not cool, unless they are necessary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hating Doom is pointless, wrong, and very stupid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

If someone started posting in here and all they did was say stuff like "actually you're all wrong and the stuff you like is and always has been trash, why don't you go like good stuff like me" then I think it is fair to call that person a killjoy

I don't think it's fair to compare "gee this person just tries to vacuum the fun out of everything" to people calling others autistic for being way too argumentative about or invested in something.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not adding this as an attack on it but why are people optimistic about Division 2?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Division 1 was fun and Destiny 2 is bad so I guess it's the next grindy team shooter game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

imo regardless of whether or not it has any validity as a statement comparing a thing that is ableist to a thing that is not ableist is hosed up

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm not adding this as an attack on it but why are people optimistic about Division 2?

The first started out meh but got pretty good if you like that style of gameplay, and things like Rainbow Six Siege show that Ubisoft is capable of learning from mistakes so there's hope they don't get rid of all the good things they added to Division 2. The gameplay they showed yesterday looks good too. If you don't like loot shooters it's not going to win you over though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just that the last time I heard anyone taking about The Division was in the tone of it being complete garbage but if they turned it around, good for them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division has one of the coolest overworld maps I've ever seen in the form of a disease-ridden, deserted lower Manhattan. It's all meticulously detailed and very few assets are direct copy+pastes. I just wish the gameplay was more exciting than a realistic cover-based shootman with random loot. I think just about any other concept could have been more interesting than what they came up with.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Modern military and MM adjacent are the most boring setting for video games full stop.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight finally out on Switch today

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

If you fuckers haven't played this already then go do it right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

If you fuckers haven't played this already then go do it right now.

I was waiting for Console :blush:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That's fine so go DO IT NOW

Hollow Knight is unironically one of the best games I've ever played.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

That's fine so go DO IT NOW

Hollow Knight is unironically one of the best games I've ever played.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imma get hollow knight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wait was there for real an OUT NOW announcement for Hollow Knight ahhhh :supaburn:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

wait was there for real an OUT NOW announcement for Hollow Knight ahhhh :supaburn:

yes

come on eshop update already

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
RIDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
gently caress EVERYONE WHO SAID HE WAS TOO BIG AHAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA

DELIVERANCE!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm ok with smash just being smash 4 with all of previous smash and a few new characters, especially when one of the new characters is loving ridley

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, other than the thing I just posted that was....not something I can in good conscience say was better than Sony's.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nintendo lost E3 when Fire Emblem was pushed back to 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was just kinda left going "oh it's over" tbh

It had good parts but I feel like the smash part took up too much time that could've been devoted to showing off some of the other titles they only gave a little bit of time to.

Shame about waluigi still being an assist trophy though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aren't they doing treehouse streams for another couple days or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Aren't they doing treehouse streams for another couple days or something?

Well yeah but there's rarely anything that big in there.

• Locked thread