Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

Okay. Good job yet again constructing some arguments to tear down.

I'm literally replying to people complaining that Trump was nice during negotiations, and claiming that wargaming out invasions isn't belligerent, but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

TulliusCicero posted:

How the gently caress do we get a Southern apologist in Michigan? :wtc:

Motherfucker, do you know far north of the Mason Dixon Line you are? Do you know how cold it is?

gently caress off to Tennessee with that poo poo, for gently caress sakes.

It's ridiculous. He's from my hometown which is WASPy/bougie as gently caress. He has a degree in aerospace engineering. It's all an act.

I do see a lot of Colbeck yard signs but based on social media followings he seems to be lagging behind the more 'normal' Republican candidates.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Too much Trump thread before bedtime. I had a dream that I was the new White House press secretary.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

This poll does indeed confirm that "centrists", ie people who support mainstream political parties, have only a relatively tenuous support of democracy. However the bigger issue is how low across the board current support for democracy. How is the question "Percentage of people who say democracy is a “very good” political system." not overwhelmingly endorsed by citizens of the freedom loving united states, let alone not even enjoying majority support? Trump is trashing democratic nations and cozying up to dictators in part because the majority of Americans apparently have no real preference for democracies.

Also what exactly is going on in the Netherlands? They seem to be a single economic downturn away from military parades and burning down the legislature.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

If those exercises are making North Korea feel threatened and pursue nukes, I don't see why stopping them as a show of good faith is a problem.

it demonstrates more commitment to what north korea wants than what south korea, our ally and trading partner, wants. also the exercises are not what is making north korea feel threatened, they just say that to justify firing some shells at the south or whatever

the military exercises thing is largely symbolic. it's just army practice. north korea demanding that we stop - and we conceding that - just makes north korea look like they can tell us what to do. which is amusing for sure, i think we all like seeing the united states taken down a peg, but it objectively does make us and especially trump look weak and easily manipulated, which is also true

VitalSigns posted:

I'm literally replying to people complaining that Trump was nice during negotiations, and claiming that wargaming out invasions isn't belligerent, but ok

without looking it up do you know what the exercises are for? because they are definitely not a rehearsal for invasion lmao did you make that up or did you hear it from a bad source or something

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McCloud posted:

So just to recap:

Trump bungled the meeting, gave NK a huge diplomatic victory.
Media is falling over themselves congratulating Trump on this historic meeting, entirely glossing over what NK actually meant with denuclearization.

Did I get that right?

It's his bombing of an empty air strip all over again. Dear Glorious leader did something and didn't poo poo his pants, let's all congratulate him for being a miracle worker.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Casey Finnigan posted:

Okay. Good job [VitalSigns] yet again constructing some arguments to tear down.

Extremely this.

VitalSigns posted:

Seriously, VitalSigns, I've been following your conversation for pages now and you are being INCREDIBLY disingenuous in your characterization of other people's posts.

You are not responding to the posts but some weird, inaccurate representation of them.

I don't know if you're doing this intentionally but it's constant and obvious.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, you're right that, like, in another world if we had a real president and North Korea wasn't one of the most brutally repressive regimes in the world then it would be maybe a good thing to warm relations and stop nearby military exercises as part of an effective deal. I guess you live in this world.

None of that poo poo is the case and instead the fat idiot is head over heels with an awful dictator cause he said he was cool or something, and we're giving up something for nothing, which sends a clear message that if you get nukes and rattle the saber enough the US will bend to your will. But I mean keep owning the chuds who think this is a bad thing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

axeil posted:

VA, ND, ME, NV and SC primaries are today! Remember to vote.

We only had county board on the ballot as Kaine and Beyer are running unopposed. Overheard the poll workers saying they were shocked how busy it was, as they already had 90 people before 9 AM and literally the only thing on the ballot is a local primary race where the candidates are pretty close to the same.

Tim Kaine is running opposed? Not even token opposition?

Kennel posted:

Too much Trump thread before bedtime. I had a dream that I was the new White House press secretary.

Scaramucci had the same dream.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

boner confessor posted:

it demonstrates more commitment to what north korea wants than what south korea, our ally and trading partner, wants. also the exercises are not what is making north korea feel threatened, they just say that to justify firing some shells at the south or whatever

the military exercises thing is largely symbolic. it's just army practice. north korea demanding that we stop - and we conceding that - just makes north korea look like they can tell us what to do. which is amusing for sure, i think we all like seeing the united states taken down a peg, but it objectively does make us and especially trump look weak and easily manipulated, which is also true

Not sure how much of this "rest of world all agrees Thing X is a failure for Trump but MAGA chuds and Trump's 44% approving base sees it as the exact opposite/a rousing success" I can take. We're in the Twilight Zone.

EDIT

SocketWrench posted:

It's his bombing of an empty air strip all over again. Dear Glorious leader did something and didn't poo poo his pants, let's all congratulate him for being a miracle worker.

Yeah, this too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

boner confessor posted:

So there's no reason to do these exercises, except that if we stop now we look 'weak' against a country with a GDP the size of Gabon, so I guess we have to do it forever and nuclear proliferation is better than losing face, thanks pre-2017 Sean Hannity

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

This poll does indeed confirm that "centrists", ie people who support mainstream political parties, have only a relatively tenuous support of democracy. However the bigger issue is how low across the board current support for democracy. How is the question "Percentage of people who say democracy is a “very good” political system." not overwhelmingly endorsed by citizens of the freedom loving united states, let alone not even enjoying majority support? Trump is trashing democratic nations and cozying up to dictators in part because the majority of Americans apparently have no real preference for democracies.

Also what exactly is going on in the Netherlands? They seem to be a single economic downturn away from military parades and burning down the legislature.

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

which sends a clear message that if you get nukes and rattle the saber enough the US will bend to your will

Well yeah duh that's been true for decades dude, why do you think NK wanted nukes in the first place.

Everyone already knows this message, nothing new is being sent, because that's what happened every time someone got nukes, whereas if you didn't get them and you don't bow to the US they smash your country.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

So there's no reason to do these exercises, except that if we stop now we look 'weak' against a country with a GDP the size of Gabon, so I guess we have to do it forever and nuclear proliferation is better than losing face, thanks pre-2017 Sean Hannity

there is a reason to do these exercises, it's practice for the us and south korean militaries. this is a weird conclusion to hop to since you know so little about the topic at hand that you immediately abandon your portrayal of the joint exercises as a "belligerent rehearsal for invasion" which is literally north korean state propaganda

it's a bit ridiculous how completely willing you are to repeat right wing propaganda on behalf of republicans and military dictatorships so you can portray yourself as the Most True Leftist

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Wait, where is this quote from?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

axeil posted:

We only had county board on the ballot as Kaine and Beyer are running unopposed. Overheard the poll workers saying they were shocked how busy it was, as they already had 90 people before 9 AM and literally the only thing on the ballot is a local primary race where the candidates are pretty close to the same.

Fortunately, Fairfax County doesn't have board elections for another year so I don't even have to head over to the poll. I probably should but I don't super care about running up the score in an unopposed primary and don't really want to walk back to my place if they don't even have D ballots

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

McCloud posted:

So just to recap:

Trump bungled the meeting, gave NK a huge diplomatic victory.
Media is falling over themselves congratulating Trump on this historic meeting, entirely glossing over what NK actually meant with denuclearization.

Did I get that right?
Yes, that's it. I honestly, truly do not understand why networks like CNN and MSNBC fawn over him when he does things like this. And then tomorrow, they'll finally start reporting the actuals of the event and critical pieces pointing out why it's bullshit, but by then it's too late.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone already knows this message, nothing new is being sent, because that's what happened every time someone got nukes, whereas if you didn't get them and you don't bow to the US they smash your country.

oh yeah it's a good thing now that north korea has nukes to stop us from smashing their nation for what, the sixth time now? :rolleyes:

please come back to reality, or at least stop sending us posts from whatever world you inhabit

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

None of that poo poo is the case and instead the fat idiot is head over heels with an awful dictator cause he said he was cool or something, and we're giving up something for nothing, which sends a clear message that if you get nukes and rattle the saber enough the US will bend to your will.

Everybody has known this for decades. There's no clearer message than Libya

B B
Dec 1, 2005

axeil posted:

There's been basically no polling on the Republican side for Senate, right? I'm like 99% sitting out the VA Senate election in November--Corey Stewart being on the ballot is probably the only thing that'd make me change my mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

boner confessor posted:

there is a reason to do these exercises, it's practice for the us and south korean militaries. this is a weird conclusion to hop to since you know so little about the topic at hand that you immediately abandon your portrayal of the joint exercises as a "belligerent rehearsal for invasion" which is literally north korean state propaganda

They are a belligerent rehearsal for invasion, you're the one claiming they're pointless which if true is all the more reason to stop as a show of good faith.

We can always start them again if we want! There's no drawback to it! You can train the military in other ways, we don't have to wargame out invasions of Canada to keep the troops at home sharp, because that would very reasonably be seen by Canada's government as a ridiculous provocation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

because everyone but the 1 percent gets constantly hosed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

boner confessor posted:

it's a bit ridiculous how completely willing you are to repeat right wing propaganda on behalf of republicans and military dictatorships so you can portray yourself as the Most True Leftist

Lmao military exercises are dick waving and you know it

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I feel like it should be stated explicitly: North Korea's awfulness doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue diplomatic relations with them, and it would entirely reasonable to argue that their international isolation drives their human rights abuses.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, that's it. I honestly, truly do not understand why networks like CNN and MSNBC fawn over him when he does things like this. And then tomorrow, they'll finally start reporting the actuals of the event and critical pieces pointing out why it's bullshit, but by then it's too late.

From what I saw last night MSNBC at least was circumspect at best. The former South Korean ambassador was particularly critical. Wait until the night crew gets ahold of the summit; they didn't really have a chance last night.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I feel like it should be stated explicitly: North Korea's awfulness doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue diplomatic relations with them, and it would entirely reasonable to argue that their international isolation drives their human rights abuses.

No, it doesn't. But it means that in order to do it we need to have someone without tapioca for brains at the helm.

And the bit that galls me the most? These shitfucks will tell us in the same breath that we can't engage with Cuba because their human rights record is bad.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

They are a belligerent rehearsal for invasion, you're the one claiming they're pointless which if true is all the more reason to stop as a show of good faith.

We can always start them again if we want! There's no drawback to it.

i very specifically said they are not pointless. this selective illiteracy gimmick you've got going is real tiresome and i dont know why you think you can convince anyone of your opinions by being a performative dumbass

Flip Yr Wig posted:

yeah but this isn't diplomatic negotiation, this is the foreign policy equivalent of elder abuse

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nocturtle posted:

Because representative democracy is bad and people are finally starting to realize that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

boner confessor posted:

oh yeah it's a good thing now that north korea has nukes to stop us from smashing their nation for what, the sixth time now? :rolleyes:

please come back to reality, or at least stop sending us posts from whatever world you inhabit

No it's not a good thing, but it's the logical outcome of US foreign policy.

If the US wants to unilaterally invade and demolish other countries, nuclear proliferation in countries that don't want to be invaded and demolished is the price you pay for that. If you want to stop nuclear proliferation, leaving other countries alone is price you pay for that.

Are you capable of discussing the situation without Rovian "oh you think war is bad, you must loooooooove Saddam" bullshit?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Except in this case he did poo poo has pants. He is being praised for only sharting instead of the full works.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If there is a country that needs to be Libya’d it’s NK. And by Libya’d I mean that the people got sick of the poo poo they were being put through and had an uprising and the US supported it.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

B B posted:

There's been basically no polling on the Republican side for Senate, right? I'm like 99% sitting out the VA Senate election in November--Corey Stewart being on the ballot is probably the only thing that'd make me change my mind.

Stewart's expected to win [e: the primary] IIRC. He has name recognition from last year and I'm pretty sure the insane parts of the state love him

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arturo Ui posted:

It's ridiculous. He's from my hometown which is WASPy/bougie as gently caress. He has a degree in aerospace engineering. It's all an act.

I do see a lot of Colbeck yard signs but based on social media followings he seems to be lagging behind the more 'normal' Republican candidates.

It honestly doesn't surprise me. If you go anywhere outside the city metro area in Macomb, Wayne, or Oakland you see a sea of Trump and blue lives matter NRA garbage from wannabe southerner chuds.

This state is so hosed outside the metro areas.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jesus Christ

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

No it's not a good thing, but it's the logical outcome of US foreign policy.

If the US wants to unilaterally invade and demolish other countries, nuclear proliferation in countries that don't want to be invaded and demolished is the price you pay for that. If you want to stop nuclear proliferation, leaving other countries alone is price you pay for that.

Are you capable of discussing the situation without Rovian "oh you think war is bad, you must loooooooove Saddam" bullshit?

you are projecting super hard here. you're all over the map in how incapable you are of answering simple questions like "do you know what the military exercises are for" and "why are you repeating north korean state propaganda"

calm down dude

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xae posted:

So has the media realized that Trump got rolled at negotiating and gave the largest US concession in 60 years for nothing yet?

Ok, but on the other hand I'm having trouble coming up with examples of Trump holding up his end of the bargain.

This meeting was meaningless on every side.

This is Donald 'doing something'. Smile for the cameras, look pretty, have people gush over you even though you accomplished jack poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

boner confessor posted:

i very specifically said they are not pointless. this selective illiteracy gimmick you've got going is real tiresome and i dont know why you think you can convince anyone of your opinions by being a performative dumbass

Of course they're not pointless. They are a deliberate threat.

That's the only advantage they have over other training exercises.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Moatman posted:

Stewart's expected to win IIRC. He has name recognition from last year and I'm pretty sure the insane parts of the state love him

Do not, do not, DO NOT sit out the election. Clamp sugar tongs over your nose and vote for Tim Kaine if you have to, I don't care. We don't need any unpleasant surprises election night. Seriously, we saw what happens when too many people adopt this mentality in a major election.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

If there is a country that needs to be Libya’d it’s NK. And by Libya’d I mean that the people got sick of the poo poo they were being put through and had an uprising and the US supported it.

Open air slave markets for everyone! Maybe *this* time arming nonstate actors wont create a hellish forever war

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Of course they're not pointless. They are a deliberate threat.

That's the only advantage they have over other training exercises.

you can't answer the question so you're just going to repeat north korean propaganda

all hail King Leftist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Moatman posted:

Stewart's expected to win IIRC. He has name recognition from last year and I'm pretty sure the insane parts of the state love him

Hmmm. Kaine already stabbed multiple Democratic colleagues in the back to deregulate banks. I guess I'll have to wait and see how successful he is in giving Trump the authority to indefinitely detain American citizens over the next several months.

Alter Ego posted:

Do not, do not, DO NOT sit out the election. Clamp sugar tongs over your nose and vote for Tim Kaine if you have to, I don't care. We don't need any unpleasant surprises election night. Seriously, we saw what happens when too many people adopt this mentality in a major election.

LOL, no. I am not going to mindlessly vote for Tim Kaine just because he's on "our team." My family lost their house in 2009 because of the banks, whom Tim Kaine just hosed over multiple Democratic colleagues to deregulate. gently caress Tim Kaine.

B B fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 12, 2018

• Locked thread