Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

If they disappear fairly soon, likely true. If they stick around though, I'd just call that wishful thinking. People like that absolutely exist on every side of every conflict ever and the trick with long-term trolling is that you eventually become the thing you are supposedly parodying.

Lol this is incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like holy poo poo hahaha that's so dumb.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Now I'm genuinely curious. Howso?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hypothetically speaking one could just be tired of the interventionist cheerleading. Hypothetically of course.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Crowsbeak posted:

Hypothetically speaking one could just be tired of the interventionist cheerleading. Hypothetically of course.

But hypothetically, Russia's or Iran's interventionism isn't problematic at all, right?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

But hypothetically, Russia's or Iran's interventionism isn't problematic at all, right?

Vilayet e fitig>Sultans.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The UN is withdrawing its staff from Yemen's main aid port because the UAE say they're about to attack it.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Some crazy close-quarters GoPro footage of what seems to be a PKK ambush on a Turkish unit in the KRG. Might be a bit :nms: as it shows some Turkish soldiers getting killed at very close range

https://twitter.com/AfarinMamosta/status/1006134332405305344

https://twitter.com/AfarinMamosta/status/1006135049786478592

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CrazyLoon posted:

If they disappear fairly soon, likely true. If they stick around though, I'd just call that wishful thinking. People like that absolutely exist on every side of every conflict ever and the trick with long-term trolling is that you eventually become the thing you are supposedly parodying.

Unless he's part of some Russian troll farm or something, in which case I guess there's some flattery that the D&D section of some dead gay forums qualify for that.

he's here to monitor Eliot Higgins, may as well have some fun in the process

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Radio Prune posted:

Some crazy close-quarters GoPro footage of what seems to be a PKK ambush on a Turkish unit in the KRG. Might be a bit :nms: as it shows some Turkish soldiers getting killed at very close range

Are the Turks just running up the mountain with no cover or recon?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Radio Prune posted:

Good to see that they're taking out wahabist aligned forces.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Good to see that they're taking out wahabist aligned forces.

Cheering for the death of your “enemies”, whether Kurds, Turks, Arabs or Americans is gross and counterproductive.

Anyone rejoicing the twin towers falling is indistinguishable in motive.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Cheering for the death of your “enemies”, whether Kurds, Turks, Arabs or Americans is gross and counterproductive.

Anyone rejoicing the twin towers falling is indistinguishable in motive.

Oh lol, :decorum: strike again.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Naturally Crowsbeak feels just as strongly about Israel purifying the evil Sunni jihadists in the West Bank

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

Are the Turks just running up the mountain with no cover or recon?

They probably are the recon. Looks like a small patrol.

They likely patrolled through this mountain path frequently, thought it was a safe area, and got complacent. First guy got shot while running for cover and probably didn't realize one of the ambushers was behind the boulder. Second guy shot at close range was trying to pull the first guy out of there, I think.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sergg posted:

Naturally Crowsbeak feels just as strongly about Israel purifying the evil Sunni jihadists in the West Bank

Israelis are invaders. Turks are invaders. Kind of the same thing when you think about it.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh lol, :decorum: strike again.

Not decorum, but decency. Something that you as an outsider can afford. Something that those fighting can’t.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Not decorum, but decency. Something that you as an outsider can afford. Something that those fighting can’t.

You don't treat Wahabists with decency, nor their Turkish Allies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
'Seeing tons of people die and writing off every last one of them as frothing at mouth Wahabists makes me hard.'

'Jeez have the slightest bit of human decency.'

'Do-ho-ho, I am beyond the petty confines of your :decorum: worm! I have ascended into true dickery!'

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

You don't treat Wahabists with decency, nor their Turkish Allies.

Frankly you treat ISIS with decency. If the Sunni’s in Iraq had been treated that way, maybe there wouldn’t have been ISIS in the first place.

Probably not though.

Either way it’s gross when people get little boners for dead Americans, Saudi’s, Russians, or Iranians, which several people in this thread do.

Generally these people are far removed from those with power who pull the strings.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
On the note of sectarian oppression, how are things for the Iraqi sunnis? I mean, it obviously sucks a great deal and the PMU are pretty drat brutal - but how does it compare to say, the life of the shia during post-Kuwait Saddam?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Frankly you treat ISIS with decency. If the Sunni’s in Iraq had been treated that way, maybe there wouldn’t have been ISIS in the first place.

Probably not though.

Either way it’s gross when people get little boners for dead Americans, Saudi’s, Russians, or Iranians, which several people in this thread do.

Generally these people are far removed from those with power who pull the strings.

You don't get to fight those people, though, you fight their hired goons. Much like in Vietnam, to have any effect on them, you have to defeat their armies in some way.

Ottoman imperialists getting slapped around is a good thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody been following the goings-on in Hodeida?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Volkerball posted:

Anybody been following the goings-on in Hodeida?

I have yet to find any good and reliable twitter accounts or other sources for live updates. The whole lack of documenation is rather alarming to be honest.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Calling Erdogan a wahabist is kinda jumping the shark on your side, Crowsbeak.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's very worrying that the US has "reluctantly" withdrawn it's objections to a Hodeida operation. Yemeni suffering will continue, the Saudis and their allies give no poo poo about them

https://twitter.com/msf_yemen/statu...om%2Flarison%2F

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The thread might have mentioned it, but the UN pulled out some or all of their people from the city, anticipating the attack.

Everyone seems to be bracing for catastrophe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

It's very worrying that the US has "reluctantly" withdrawn it's objections to a Hodeida operation. Yemeni suffering will continue, the Saudis and their allies give no poo poo about them

https://twitter.com/msf_yemen/statu...om%2Flarison%2F

Spoiler: it's 100% deliberate, guaranteed. Whether it be the US, the Saudi, or the Russians, MSF is at the very top of the priority list for everyone's bombers.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Calling Erdogan a wahabist is kinda jumping the shark on your side, Crowsbeak.

He's more of a happy enabler. Which is not good for Turkey's future as generally what happens when you enable extremists to fight your wars is they start having influence on your own society. Also, I wonder if the interventionist cheerleaders will be calling for the USA to bomb Riyahd for what it is doing in Yemen now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man, gently caress this poo poo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
well, they're giving aid to our enemies. not Mohammed Bin Salman, Peacebringer and Reformer, 's fault that the perfidious Houthi hides behind hospitals, power plants, water treatment facilities, and any building higher than one story

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Always accurate. :smith:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Retarded Goatee posted:

On the note of sectarian oppression, how are things for the Iraqi sunnis? I mean, it obviously sucks a great deal and the PMU are pretty drat brutal - but how does it compare to say, the life of the shia during post-Kuwait Saddam?
I can't say for Sunnis specifically, but Iraq in general seems to be improving and getting less shooty:
https://twitter.com/iraqithoughts/status/1006433852427046912?s=21

quote:

Iraq has witnessed a nearly 70% decline in violence since the declaration of the end of major combat operations against Da’ish.

Things are still fairly violent though, depending on where in the country you are and if there have been any particularly bad incidents recently:
http://musingsoniraq.blogspot.com/2018/06/security-in-iraq-jun-1-7-2018.html

quote:

Security in Iraq in the first week of June 2018 remained largely the same as May. The new mean is around 50 incidents, which has happened 4 of the last 5 weeks. Casualties have been stable as a result as well.

There were 55 incidents from June 1-7. In April, there were 40 incidents 3 of the 4 weeks, and then in May there were 50 incidents 3 of those 4 weeks. Baghdad with 11 and Salahaddin with 14 led the country in violence.

Casualties In Iraq By Province May 22-28, 2018
Babil 4 (4 Wounded)
Diyala 5 (3 Killed, 2 Wounded)
Kirkuk 8 (2 Killed, 6 Wounded)
Kurdistan 10 (9 Killed, 1 Wounded)
Baghdad 20 (8 Killed, 12 Wounded)
Salahaddin 40 (33 Killed, 7 Wounded)
Ninewa 45 (45 Killed)

100 people died and 32 were wounded during the week. There were 41 bodies discovered in Ninewa leaving 59 violent deaths, which was just around the same amount as each week in May. Most those corpses were coming from the rubble of the Old City in Mosul. Over 1,200 bodies have been recovered in just the last two weeks. Most have been labeled Islamic State members without reportedly actually checking their identities, so most have not been added to the weekly totals. 3 Turkish soldiers, 6 members of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), 9 Iraqi Security Forces (ISF), 13 Hashd al-Shaabi, and 69 civilians lost their lives, and 1 Turkish soldier, 2 ISF, 8 Hashd, and 21 civilians were injured.

Violence has completely fallen off in Anbar over the last year and half. This week there were two suicide bombers who were killed before they could set off their devices.

Babil is another area where violence picked up at the start of 2018, and has since fallen off. An IED went off in Iskandiriya wounding 4 Hashd. Attacks are down to about one every other week now when before there was about one every other day.

There were 11 incidents in Baghdad. All were low level like shootings and IEDs. An explosives stash detonated in Sadr City, apparently in a building used by Moqtada al-Sadr’s Sayara Salam militia that left over 100 casualties. This caused a huge controversy, and the government promised it would take some action.

There were few attacks in Diyala, but their nature remained troubling. The Islamic State attacked three towns during the week. This is becoming routine now. The insurgents are active in all the rural areas, and have been rebuilding in the province. Despite constant sweeps, the security forces have not been able to stop this escalation in operations by the militants.

In May, there was a huge explosion in attacks in Kirkuk because of the elections. Things have since calmed down. There were 9 incidents in the first week of June. There was one shoot out with IS, an infiltration attempt and an IED on a Hashd house. Southern Kirkuk is another place where IS is rebuilding and these incidents show its attempt to re-establish control in those areas.

Turkey has moved deeper into northern Kurdistan. It is attempting to push the PKK away from the border and has threatened to attack its main base in Qandil, which it has been operating out of for decades. Prime Minister Haidar Abadi said that Ankara had to respect Iraq’s sovereignty and that Baghdad would not allow any group to use Iraqi territory to attack its neighbors, but the central government, and not even the Kurdistan government has any influence over this area. That means that the Turks will continue their campaign which has entered its third month now. 3 Turkish soldiers, 6 PKK were killed, and 1 Turkish soldier was wounded in clashes and air strikes during the week.

Besides the bodies being found there were three attacks in Ninewa. One was a gun battle with IS, while the other two were IEDs. Overall, this province is another one where the insurgency has trailed off.

Salahaddin like Diyala is another area where the insurgency is making a comeback. A car bomb went off in Tikrit. The last vehicle bomb occurred during the third week of April. There were two gun battles, while the rest of the incidents were more routine such as IEDs.
For a numbers comparison, the number of people killed by police in the US in May 2018 was 82. That's uh... closer to Iraq's numbers than it probably should be. Congratulations to Iraq, I guess?:v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao Sadr

https://twitter.com/DrAbbasKadhim/status/1006607926096744450?s=20

So much for opposing sectarianism and foreign influence. He's got a very rabid fan base that will support him no matter what he does, but there were huge demonstrations on election day where people were chanting Iran out of Baghdad and such, so there's likely to be some outcry over this huge flip flop. Especially since the remnants of his militia just blew up a city block last week due to some gently caress up with an arms cache.

There's been some voices arguing for a complete do over of the election due to all the uncertainty that has plagued the previous one at every step. Mostly losers of the previous election. Abadi will never go for it, and I bet Sadr couldn't breathe a bigger sigh of relief over that. He's been getting his rear end kicked on a daily basis since the results came in.

Edit: Looks like Maliki might be out of the ruling coalition this go round so they might try to hold that up as the victory.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 12, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

so there's likely to be some outcry over this huge flip flop.

what flip flop

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like, you think that forming a government with a party sympathetic to Iran is the same thing as launching a sectarian conflict in service of a foreign country?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lollontee posted:

what flip flop

He's been making GBS threads all over the Badr brigades for the last few years and now he's in a coalition with the head of it. That flip flop.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

He's been making GBS threads all over the Badr brigades for the last few years and now he's in a coalition with the head of it. That flip flop.

Unlike any other plop flopping political party in any parliamentray democracy ever conceived

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Regardless, well done on noticing that governments are sometimes formed by parties with unfriendly relations but mutual goals. We're all very impressed and I am personally appalled by this kind of immorality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:rolleyes:

parliamentray democracy