Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

Like I said, what I said about Rey is from Johnson. She is afraid that there's no one out there for her to ever rely on. She's lived her whole life believing her parents would return to save her.

Why would Rian Johnson's interpretation be authoritative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why would Rian Johnson's interpretation be authoritative?

Are you kidding?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

Are you kidding?

No.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

You are not sure why the person who wrote and directed the scene is an authoritative source on what the scene is about?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

You are not sure why the person who wrote and directed the scene is an authoritative source on what the scene is about?

Roland Barthes posted:

Like Bouvard and Pecuchet, those eternal copyists, both sublime and comical and whose profound absurdity precisely designates the truth of writing, the writer can only imitate a gesture forever anterior, never original; his only power is to combine the different kinds of writing, to oppose some by others, so as never to sustain himself by just one of them; if he wants to express himself, at least he should know that the internal "thing" he claims to "translate" is itself only a readymade dictionary whose words can be explained (defined) only by other words, and so on ad infinitum...

In this way is revealed the whole being of writing: a text consists of multiple writings, issuing from several cultures and entering into dialogue with each other, into parody, into contestation; but there is one place where this multiplicity is collected, united, and this place is not the author, as we have hitherto said it was, but the reader: the reader is the very space in which are inscribed, without any being lost, all the citations a writing consists of; the unity of a text is not in its origin, it is in its destination; but this destination can no longer be personal: the reader is a man without history, without biography, without psychology; he is only that someone who holds gathered into a single field all the paths of which the text is constituted. This is why it is absurd to hear the new writing condemned in the name of a humanism which hypocritically appoints itself the champion of the reader’s rights. The reader has never been the concern of classical criticism; for it, there is no other man in literature but the one who writes. We are now beginning to be the dupes no longer of such antiphrases, by which our society proudly champions precisely what it dismisses, ignores, smothers or destroys; we know that to restore to writing its future, we must reverse its myth: the birth of the reader must be ransomed by the death of the Author.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 12, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rey never demonstrates that she wants someone to "rely on." She does demonstrate that she wants someone to order her around and give her freedom from responsibility.

tadashi posted:

On a separate note, if Star Wars fans are any indication, it is clear that the First Order came to power thanks to the popularity of intergalactic Whataboutism.
what

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tadashi posted:

If the author doesn’t tell you explicitly what something is about how do you decide?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tadashi posted:

He's a Death Of The Author guy. You know, the clever little thing critics invented to never be wrong again when interpreting anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Probably is the hero Star Wars fans deserve, to be quite honest. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Decius posted:

He's a Death Of The Author guy. You know, the clever little thing critics invented to never be wrong again when interpreting anything.

:lol:

Why exactly does "Death of the Author" mean not being wrong about interpretations?

e: Let's also note the bizarre conspiracy mindset here. "Clever little thing critics invented" is some really paranoid thinking.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 12, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

So by "Straight White Male Hero" they are referring to Anakin, right?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Schwarzwald posted:

So by "Straight White Male Hero" they are referring to Anakin, right?

Sigurd.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This is worse than when Noam Chomsky defended that one dude’s right to deny the holocaust.

Fake edit: or maybe this allegory is worse than the situation it’s describing lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Decius posted:

It's all stupid nonsense, but you're pretty much in "head-canon" territory here. This poo poo isn't very complicated:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

Since nobody wants to read all this poo poo: Space Nazis were defeated. Many of the remaining Space Nazis hosed off to Space Antarctica with a poo poo-ton of gear, ships and knowledge. There they started to rebuilt, while Space Allies ignored them. Over time more Alt-Right Space Nazis joined the old timey Space Nazis with even more stuff, money and power. The New Republic didn't want to appear military at all and without much of a Navy or Army they were unable and unwilling to do much against the increasingly aggressive First Order (the usual "democracy is unable to defend itself, weak and cowardly" poo poo Fascists love to sprout). Since the Republic didn't do anything, Leia and her allies started their own private military and private war against the First Order (supplied by supporters in the Republic).

Yeah, basically the FO are if the Nazi's who escaped to Argentina were successful in building the Fourth Reich and discovered how to build nukes, then attacked the governments of all the Allies at the same time with said nukes. Like, it's not a perfect analogy (the Allies did the opposite of the Republic with their military forces, thanks to the Cold War, for one), but I think it's there.

There is nothing in the movies to suggest the FO is a political party inside of the Republic. The books suggest they were supported by some people in the Republic, but not that they themselves were members. They were an outside military force formed initially from the remnants of the Empire.

But even ignoring the books, the movies give us no reason to believe they are members of the Republic. Quite the opposite, in fact. There's this big speech where the space Nazi says he wants to wipe out the Republic. He plans to replace it with the FO. Not take it over through political means. That's what Palpatine did, taking it over from within. The FO is clearly going a different route. They're an outside force (their own nation), that may be popular with their own people, and may be supported by some people in the Republic. But that doesn't make them a part of the Republic.

There are definitely poorly defined plot points in these movies (why does Han know who the gently caress Snoke is? Does everybody?), but the readings in this thread can be quite bizarre.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This little fucker can die in a fire. And apparently Facebook shut the group down.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 12, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

This little fucker can die in a fire. And apparently Facebook shut the group down.

Some of the groups I've seen on Facebook, like I can't even imagine how bad it must have been that they actually shut it down.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They already had a very large control of the republic before they blew up the hosnian system (used their nukes).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"The good old days from 2014."

:psyduck:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Decius posted:

Actually, you are relying on the author as an external guarantee, whereas people who operate without any such guarantee accept the burden of freedom.

Obvious example: PostNouveau literally believes that the author doesn’t want him to think too much, so he’s openly making a conscious effort to become illiterate. He accepts falsehood.

As a contrast: I am an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

They already had a very large control of the republic before they blew up the hosnian system (used their nukes).

How do you know that? How do you know they have control of any of the Republic?

Note I said "Republic", not galaxy. The Republic being the group that had it's seat of power in the Hosnian System. I have no idea how much of the galaxy the First Order has control over, because the movies are, admittedly, annoyingly vague on that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

PostNouveau literally believes that the author doesn’t want him to think too much, so he’s openly making a conscious effort to become illiterate.

lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: Let's also note the bizarre conspiracy mindset here. "Clever little thing critics invented" is some really paranoid thinking.
Remember the good old days, before those dang postmodernists, when no one disagreed with authors about the meaning of their work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In TFA they already control substantial amount of the galaxy and the destruction of one system is enough to probably sway any other system to join the first order

This is confirmed in TLA which states that the republic was destroyed in TFA

Since star killer base was destroyed, they have to use their military to lock down the remaining objecting systems

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 12, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

In TFA they already control substantial amount of the galaxy and the destruction of one system is enough to probably sway any other system to join the first order

This is confirmed

The Hosnian System was the capitol of the Republic, and given what we see after, "destruction of one system" in this case is the equivalent of nuking Washington, D.C. during a State of the Union address where Leia was the designated survivor. Add in, if the United States had also largely demilitarized before this time. Then the Fourth Reich marches into the United States and starts taking over State governments. It's going to have a destabilizing effect.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry my app went on the fritz and I added to that comment

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Sorry my app went on the fritz and I added to that comment

Not in a way that would change what I said, though. An outside group destroyed the Republic, yes. That doesn't mean that group was already a member of the Republic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok. I don’t even know what you are questioning anymore. The republic is gone in TFA, the FO is all that is left. They control everything that was the empire and the republic probably, notwithstanding a few hold out systems. People are generally ok with the FO and it’s business as usual.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Ok. I don’t even know what you are questioning anymore. The republic is gone in TFA, the FO is all that is left. They control everything that was the empire and the republic probably, notwithstanding a few hold out systems. People are generally ok with the FO and it’s business as usual.

My original post was saying that the films in no way suggest that the First Order was a member of the Republic, which has been mentioned several times in the past few pages. That they were portrayed as an outside force. I then created a (not perfect) analogy likening the First Order to if the Nazis who escaped to Argentina had been successful in building the Fourth Reich and attacked the Allies, or the United States, with nukes. You said, "They already had a very large control of the republic before they blew up the hosnian system", and I'm still refuting that. Maybe they have controlled a large part of the galaxy, it's possible, we don't know because the film doesn't tell us. But I'm saying we have no reason to believe they had "a very large control of the republic" in the beginning of TFA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean republic as shorthand for the set of systems that were bound together in the galactic government ruled by the Senate on coruscant in the prequels and the Empire in the originals. This set of systems is then ruled by a government called the Republic and the First order then starts stripping systems away from them and eventually virtually all of them by TLJ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We can infer they have control of a large number of systems in TFA because the destruction one system is sufficient for hegemony over the rest. There is no other power out there once Hosnian is gone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I mean republic as shorthand for the set of systems that were bound together in the galactic government ruled by the Senate on coruscant in the prequels and the Empire in the originals. This set of systems is then ruled by a government called the Republic and the First order then starts stripping systems away from them and eventually virtually all of them by TLJ.

Ah, okay, so you're not, I believe, saying the same thing some other posters were saying, which is that the First Order was a political party inside of the Republic (current version). So I was arguing past you, and I apologize.

euphronius posted:

We can infer they have control of a large number of systems in TFA because the destruction one system is sufficient for hegemony over the rest. There is no other power out there once Hosnian is gone.

This I don't know about, though, because you keep saying "the destruction of one system" as if they blew up Tatooine or something. It was their capitol, and they had largely demilitarized. Which is why I mentioned this would be like nuking D.C. during the State of the Union (in a demilitarized U.S.) and then marching troops across the United States taking over state governments. The "federal" (galactic) government was wiped out. It would be largely destabilizing. It does not mean they already had control of a lot of those states.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I honestly don’t understand your analogy.

Sticking to the movies, at the end of TLJ Leia sends out a distress call that is flatly ignored. I infer from that that there is no notable political/military Republican element or even independent element left . So since that scene is like ... two weeks ?? ... after the Hosnian system is blown to smithereens I infer that at the time of huxs speech on Star Killer base the FO was in control of vast numbers of systems.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Rey never demonstrates that she wants someone to "rely on." She does demonstrate that she wants someone to order her around and give her freedom from responsibility.

Rey truly is the heir of Anakin Skywalker.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I honestly don’t understand your analogy.

Sticking to the movies, at the end of TLJ Leia sends out a distress call that is flatly ignored. I infer from that that there is no notable political/military Republican element or even independent element left . So since that scene is like ... two weeks ?? ... after the Hosnian system is blown to smithereens I infer that at the time of huxs speech on Star Killer base the FO was in control of vast numbers of systems.

Or that Leia overplayed how willing her allies would be to take on a military force whose power is not yet understood, but was just able to blow up the seat of the Galactic Republic? They're probably still trying to figure everything out, while getting their own defenses ready, since it's likely the First Order is about to come knocking. It seems likely that Luke Skywalker's stand against the First Order that has spread so far as slave children will inspire people to stand against them.

If they had left the Republic already, why would Leia think they'd come help?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

"The good old days from 2014."

:psyduck:

Ordinarily I'd have assumed that this guy was either a troll or even some sort of elaborate false-flag wangle by Lucasfilm itself, but I feel like I've run across enough of these guys that it could very well be the genuine article. I just don't know at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Possible , but hux indicates all remaining non FO systems are linked to the Republic. He or smoke or leia or anyone else also never mention some separate and independent political entity

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

Possible , but hux indicates all remaining non FO systems are linked to the Republic. He or smoke or leia or anyone else also never mention some separate and independent political entity

I just went and found it on YouTube and there's a bit where he says, "At this very moment, in a system far from here, the New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance!" There's probably something to unpack there. Who is the Resistance betraying if they're treacherous? Why does Hux seem affronted by their treachery? Are they betraying him?

Then he says, "All remaining systems will bow to the First Order," which presumably means that the First Order already controls a bunch of systems, but might also mean that there's a bunch of non-aligned ones which will be cowed into acquiescence by a show of force, or it could mean Republic systems will break away and join the First Order. It's not entirely clear. I don't think it especially matters, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obvious example: PostNouveau literally believes that the author doesn’t want him to think too much, so he’s openly making a conscious effort to become illiterate. He accepts falsehood.

Uh, excuse me but you're forgetting that I'm also a big fan of the laser sword fights and space battles.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PostNouveau posted:

Uh, excuse me but you're forgetting that I'm also a big fan of the laser sword fights and space battles.

My condolences on TLJ then. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On a separate point, I was thinking about my supposition that Episode IX will, if not bomb outright, then at least drastically underperform expectations. It occurred to me, there's this received wisdom that the middle entry declines then the third one goes back up, but wasn't that only true for the prequels? I'm fairly sure ROTJ made less money than ESB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

My condolences on TLJ then. :v:

Man what are you even talking about? That scene in the throne room where the background catches on fire and the whole fight's in the middle of an inferno for a bit and then all the drapery burns away to reveal the stars and set the mood for the struggle Rey and Kylo are about to have for control of the galaxy.

My god, the bomber gunner having the whole weight of the resistance on her getting to the payload deployment remote. The lightspeed ram.

TLJ was awesome.