Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I will remember okinawa forever because of a certain special cook. Carlson i believe was his name. I think he’s a CS1 and gonna retire a first class in a few years now (or at least i hope so).

This cook was not bright. He was one of the people that it was painfully obvious the navy was basically it for him because he wasn’t going to do anything else. He was super friendly and one of the nicest guys on the ship, but also just not smart. SPACE HOMOS and Dr. Arbitrary know the guy i’m talking about.

So our ship was based in Yoko so of course we went to okinawa frequently. Our cook friend had a “girlfriend” in one of the unmarked brothels out in the honch. He was dropping hundreds a week to go see her for a few nights.

We’re in Okinawa, and all the sailors are in town doing what sailors do. I don’t think i went on liberty with SPACE HOMOS, but we ran into each other near a red light district. Next thing we know we hear our cook friend start yelling SPACE HOMOS last name a few times to get our attention and then proceeds to tell us how he had been getting robbed back in the honch. Turns out his “girlfriend” had just been thigh loving him and he lost his virginity to an okinawa hooker instead.

That whole situation still makes me chuckle. Shine on you simple cook.

I definitely know the guy you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Man Okinawa loving sucks.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Unless I can pop smoke and split my next deployment will be there. Nice, get me a location so I can take my people on a tour of where special cook hosed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is it 100% lame rules and bureaucracy that ruins Okinawa or?

Remoteness is a factor I’m sure

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's also the Marines being good for heinous crimes against locals

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Oh nice. The building that has the washing machines was damaged in a landslide and is closed. God loving dammit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ManMythLegend posted:

Man Okinawa loving sucks.

At least the snakes in Guam won't *kill* you or rot off part of your limb(s).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 9, 2018

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Based on my (laughable) grades, recruiter suggested I get a grad degree and then decide if I still wanted to do Intel since I got the polisci degree. So that answers that :v:

Thank you everyone who responded, it helped me narrow down the questions I was asking him.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Loel posted:

Based on my (laughable) grades, recruiter suggested I get a grad degree and then decide if I still wanted to do Intel since I got the polisci degree. So that answers that :v:

Thank you everyone who responded, it helped me narrow down the questions I was asking him.

you should never rejoin imo and stick to CYOA threads

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Friend of myself and Nice was an OCS class officer recently, he said they saw some real low GPAs, do some recruiter shopping. Or you know, don't rejoin

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is it 100% lame rules and bureaucracy that ruins Okinawa or?

Remoteness is a factor I’m sure

There are some nice beaches but they do not outweigh the idiotic and crushing rules and bureaucracy or the fact that while the island is technically part of Japan, the Japanese have neglected it since forever and it's a dump.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The northern part of the island is actually pretty cool. There are plenty of tropical beaches and places to get away from the mass of US Military. The problem is that if you've spent any time on a ship in the Pacific you've spent a bunch of time on tropical islands. Once you've seen one beach, they start to all look the same and the scenery doesn't offset the rest of the stupidity you are forced to endure while you are there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

As an example of how lovely the military made it: I had a sailor who was married to an Okinawan woman. They had a newborn baby and her and the mother were living with the in-laws on the island to help while my sailor was on a sea tour.

The problem was that they lived in an off limits area.

All this guy wanted was to spend a night with his wife and kid. No exceptions to policy granted.

I still signed his overnight papers and told him to go and enjoy it because gently caress that noise. I wasn't going to let a bunch of idiot marines gently caress it up for my sailor.

gently caress Okinawa.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Okinawa is still better than Guam.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

piL posted:

Okinawa is still better than Guam.

Both are better than Diego Garcia

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
Seriously, gently caress Guam forever. Signed up to go see cool places and spent most of my time on this oppressively hot and humid island where theres nothing to do but bars and massage parlors. Cant wait til I can get next day shipping like the rest of the civilized world, so glad Im getting out next month. /rant

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Guam always seemed like the cool and smaller Okinawa with more autonomy and big boy rules but idk. Tbh this is largely the first time I’ve heard bad things. I mean I wouldn’t want to live there, but a tour sounds fun

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I've only visited for a few days at a time but I always had fun in ghetto Hawaii. Decent bars, beautiful beaches, good food, and easy to get around. Not much more I'd ask out of a small island in the Pacific.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I've only visited for a few days at a time but I always had fun in ghetto Hawaii. Decent bars, beautiful beaches, good food, and easy to get around. Not much more I'd ask out of a small island in the Pacific.

Guam's likely preferable to Kwajalein. I'd imagine only Diego Garcia is worse, solely because there's no indigenous population.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I've only visited for a few days at a time

Sure, it's a fine place to spend a few days on deployment but

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I wouldn’t want to live there

This is my problem. 3 and a half years of the same 200 square miles gets old pretty fast.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you see a white girl on guam she's either in the military, a military spouse, or an imported stripper

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

If you see a white girl on guam she's either in the military, a military spouse, or an imported stripper

Pick two.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My boat should have made some shirts about our Guam adventure.

"3 weeks at sea and all we did was drive around Guam and go home"

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
In case anyone wants a reminder of why you never go full nuke. Bolded the lesson.

https://www.reddit.com/r/navy/comments/8qdc4k/dont_want_to_be_nuke

a redditor posted:

Im a month into power school.

The first time I took the ASVAB I got a 67. I was perfectly fine with that. I eventually took it again, and somehow got an 85 and autoqualled to be a nuke. I never wanted to be a nuke, but I gave into peer pressure by literally every single recruiter in the office.

I didn't join for the money, or the great benefits I'll get out of the Navy. I joined just to get away. I can care less about money. I was motivated to get through A-school, and I passed with a 2.90. Got on T-track for 2 months, and I absolutely loved standing watches. They were all easy, but I stood them well, and I felt like I was actually doing something.

Now that I started power school, all my motivation is gone. I'd love to be in the fleet doing actual work already, like I initially imagined. People talk about re-rating and man, does it sound exciting. I look forward to that poo poo. The people here are nothing what I am. My outer shell gets along with people, but when I actually try to get to know people, I just never click. Our motives in life are too different. Its hard to explain.

I now drink fairly normally, smoke on the weekends, which I've never done, and I love just hanging out alone. I've got good buds, but nothing beats time alone. I think all the time about how I don't want to be here. My attitude on things has also changed significantly, and I've definitely changed as a person in this year I've been in the Navy.

The thing is, I don't want to be a nuke. I'll do literally any other job with pride. I just can't stand the school environment. I don't know where I'm getting with this, but any words of wisdom will help. Thanks.

And yes, I've been called a little bitch for thinking like this, and that's fair. But I just don't like it here.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know what you're all complaining about! Posted to Japan looks great! The army knows how to make it fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrHt3ZbQBs

(yes I know, very outdated but some great quotes and a fun look at the past)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well the plans and ops cells here in Okinawa are going to be having some fun tomorrow morning.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Geizkragen posted:

In case anyone wants a reminder of why you never go full nuke. Bolded the lesson.

https://www.reddit.com/r/navy/comments/8qdc4k/dont_want_to_be_nuke

He absolutely enjoyed checking badges?

I love the people in the thread saying to talk to your chain of command.

I'm imagining the training jacket entry..
"Discussed weekly concerns with MM3. MM3 stated wanted to quit. Told MM3 to continue studying. No problems noted"

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Ok Korea goons, good job but Kim said they're going to be good now so you might as well start packing to come back. The long tyranny of UFL/UFG is over.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I just need to rant for a second.

I joined the reserves in January and it's been torturous ever since. Cheap healthcare and gas money be damned, this poo poo is bananas. I had to go through a rate change to join, and I've been in my new rate for functionally 2 weeks (not even that as I haven't actually been working in my job 8 hours a day for my drill weekends). The senior leadership expects me to be some kind of expert already (I went for FC to YN, not exactly related jobs) and when they ask me something I obviously wouldn't know the ins and outs of they get a little miffed. They give me the canned response of "well you should figure it out" in the context of submitting evals with no back up and no prior experience outside of the contact non-admin rates have with them. Suffice to say I hosed it up and am trying to fix it but that's not good enough.

On top of this, I find out today that the LPO and I are on the chopping block for something that's also a big deal but we received no notification on. No face-to-face, no emails. The CoC is also upset about this for obvious reasons but... what the gently caress did they expect me to do? Read their loving minds?

Did I mention that I also have no formal training? No A-school and no OJT as the way things are done here is you don't find out you're on a dinq list until the day you walk into the drill. The NOSC hasn't given us our own access so we can send that information to the sailors during the month rather than get punched in the face on Saturday. Couple that with a network that takes, no joke, 30 minutes to print one piece of paper and it boils down to not being able to sit with the only other YN to get some training since I have to put out a bunch of fires from he word go.

I'm bitching like some seaman right now. Maybe I had it real good in the 10 years I was active, I don't know. But this is the most rear end-backwards place I've ever been in. It's stressing me the gently caress out and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Fangthane posted:

I joined the reserves in January and it's been torturous ever since. Cheap healthcare and gas money be damned, this poo poo is bananas. I had to go through a rate change to join, and I've been in my new rate for functionally 2 weeks (not even that as I haven't actually been working in my job 8 hours a day for my drill weekends). The senior leadership expects me to be some kind of expert already (I went for FC to YN, not exactly related jobs) and when they ask me something I obviously wouldn't know the ins and outs of they get a little miffed. They give me the canned response of "well you should figure it out" in the context of submitting evals with no back up and no prior experience outside of the contact non-admin rates have with them. Suffice to say I hosed it up and am trying to fix it but that's not good enough.

On top of this, I find out today that the LPO and I are on the chopping block for something that's also a big deal but we received no notification on. No face-to-face, no emails. The CoC is also upset about this for obvious reasons but... what the gently caress did they expect me to do? Read their loving minds?

Did I mention that I also have no formal training? No A-school and no OJT as the way things are done here is you don't find out you're on a dinq list until the day you walk into the drill. The NOSC hasn't given us our own access so we can send that information to the sailors during the month rather than get punched in the face on Saturday. Couple that with a network that takes, no joke, 30 minutes to print one piece of paper and it boils down to not being able to sit with the only other YN to get some training since I have to put out a bunch of fires from he word go.

I'm bitching like some seaman right now. Maybe I had it real good in the 10 years I was active, I don't know. But this is the most rear end-backwards place I've ever been in. It's stressing me the gently caress out and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

gently caress you if you are still in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You got a bad NOSC and unit. I’ve always had good units but my first NOSC was an on fire poo poo show.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That sounds completely normal. Now learn your reporting chain and escalate your complaints with supporting documentation until it gets fixed. Never back down and never let them threaten to fire you without escalating over their heads. Most of them will get mad but bitch out when confronted about their horribleness.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Fangthane posted:

I joined the reserves
LS to EM for about a year and a half now. No school, no rate training, no work experience (or any work at all really, every weekend is just admin poo poo and good old quality Navy training on the topic du jour). Ask me about 3M, tagouts, or even to explain volts and amps and be met with a blank stare.

I find myself constantly questioning if this is really worth the $220 healthcare premium.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

LS to EM for about a year and a half now. No school, no rate training, no work experience (or any work at all really, every weekend is just admin poo poo and good old quality Navy training on the topic du jour). Ask me about 3M, tagouts, or even to explain volts and amps and be met with a blank stare.

I find myself constantly questioning if this is really worth the $220 healthcare premium.

The $220 is nice but the real jewel is the super low catastrophic cap. If you got kids it's amazing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I couldn't imagine coming to the reserves in a rate you weren't as active. It is hard enough in the first few years to navigate the reserve "culture" and understand everything else and to the have to deal with people expecting you to have the same knowledge base, my hat is off to you. That being said... :chiefsay: go make sure this is in the CO's log and I need a MFR about SN Snuffy and a FITREP correction letter to BUPERS for LCDR Butts. I'll grab you some lunch as you're never leaving :chiefsay:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Fangthane posted:

They want you to do it because they don't know how, which is also why they aren't trying to teach you poo poo. Just push it down the ol'chain of command and cover your tracks. lol you reservist puke stop giving a poo poo and tell them that their command climate is utter poo poo. It sounds like they're making you question your decision to join the reserves. Maybe you should return the favor (and sacrifice your remaining reservist career)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fangthane posted:

Glad to hear it. Your NOSC sucks, and that's typical. The US Navy does not allow its best and brightest into NOSC shore duty. How many DCs do you have doing IT work? Is a YN, PN, or LS your admin LPO? Do you have any career-counselor trained personnel attached to your NOSC or unit? CFL? Pick the worst answers to any of these questions, then just wait six months and the staffing will change.

Right now, you're in a bad spot, but it's not your fault. The way to get some relief is to realize that 1) this isn't your job, and you can let it safely slide with no repercussions. If you have 10 years active in, you know what you REALLY need to do to survive. The reserves aren't active duty by any stretch. 2) learn how to do your job to the best of your own satisfaction at your own pace. Right now, I hear you champing at the bit because people are asking you to do things you don't have training on. That's just fine; do the YN books on NKO on your own time at your own pace. That'll teach you some stuff. Any time you don't know how to do something, research it and its instructions, then do it literally verbatim to the instruction. You will have done it wrong. This is a learning opportunity. You just say "I did it in accordance with OPNAV/NAVINST/NAVADMIN XXX.X(rev J)" and then the person who knows better than you teaches you how to do it right. This is much like the internet: nobody will tell you how to do it, but they'll tell you how you're wrong. 3) If you feel strongly that you're right, stick up for yourself. Do everything important by email. This is so you don't forget this is so you have proof when someone's screwing you later, and you can hold their face to the fire for it..

You will get tasked with doing things you don't know how to do, with no training, and then get crapped on for screwing it up. That's cool. You do the best you can, or at least the best you want to do, or possibly the best you're willing to make time for. The whole system is penalty-free. You keep doing PFAs, attending drills, and not failing your exams and they can't kick you out! Good luck, and godspeed.

Figure out how to get a 45-day AT/EAT/IDTT and only come to the drill center four periods per year (two exams, two PFAs).

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Thanks for the responses. I've cooled off a bit since that rant but I'm still upset about the whole thing. I feel like the proper disclaimer is "I'm not clean in all this. I could have done a few things better/more efficiently/advised the CoC earlier." End of the day, the right course is just doing what I can and documenting everything which is Navy 101. It baffles me that an organization that is theoretically responsible for 1/3 the bullshit is somehow more messed up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fangthane posted:

Thanks for the responses. I've cooled off a bit since that rant but I'm still upset about the whole thing. I feel like the proper disclaimer is "I'm not clean in all this. I could have done a few things better/more efficiently/advised the CoC earlier." End of the day, the right course is just doing what I can and documenting everything which is Navy 101. It baffles me that an organization that is theoretically responsible for 1/3 the bullshit is somehow more messed up.

The problem with NOSC from what I can tell is they seem to be half staffed with broken people who don’t seem to care. I put in 70 days at a NOSC last summer and boy howdy the command had some hard cases to try to get work out of. Seemed like half the staff was either pregnant, recovering from pregnancy or dudes who looked like they were in their 3rd trimester.
Good ol shore duty dumping ground.

It wasn’t all bad their were certainly some outstanding people but they would have shined wherever they went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Fangthane posted:

Ket's Guide to Why the Reserves Are Silly and You Should Not Care
Whenever I joined the Reserves, I had the assumption I would be doing something related to anything in my field. Instead, I was an EMN1 assigned to a cargo handling battalion. For the first 6 months, no one was really sure what to do with me and I mainly just hung around playing on my phone. Eventually, someone figured out I was really good at PowerPoint so I made briefings for the CO. Because of that, I gradually migrated into an admin role. Once I had that figured out, I knocked everything out in the first hour or so of drill day and literally spent the entire remainder of the weekend doing homework for college. No one cared because our metrics were good once I figured out how to get everything looking pristine in each database. By the second year, I was consider indispensable because I did a solid hour of work a month in Excel using formulas, conditional formatting, etc.

My first AT was going to a random school where they taught me how to load munitions onto cargo slings. I guess it was ok?

My 2nd 2 week AT was spent standing exactly 2 firewatches for a total of about 8 hours. I got some nice letter for it from some chief in the shipyard. The Reserves spent thousands of dollars sending me across the country to sit on a ship for 8 hours as an E-6 and watch a wall. I mainly hung around downtown Norfolk and visited people. I ended up meeting grover during this adventure and got to go inside Groverhaus. It didn't collapse on me so that's a win.

Eventually, I got a job that required me to frequently work weekends. I stressed out over this and eventually approached my LCPO about going IRR. He didn't care and immediately approved a special request chit for it. He forgot to route it for 6 months and someone found it in a desk when they were looking for something else. I got a funny phonecall about it a few months before my contract was up anyway.

And thus ended my Navy career.