Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Munkeymon posted:

Oh, if I'm shaking my cane at the youngins, I guess I'd say you should know how to write a reasonably complex SQL without using a dang ORM!

SQL is a fantastic language and there's a lot that modern languages could learn from SQL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shirec posted:

Think I'm gonna go Java for now but Python will still be in the future slate.

What langs do you currently know? You might want to look at learning a sufficiently different "type" of language so that you can point at it and say "yes, I write (Java/C#), but I'm motivated and have learnt (JS/Python/Ruby)|(C/C++)|(Haskell/Scala/F#)|(Lisp/Prolog/Forth/APL) in my own time".

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

redleader posted:

What langs do you currently know? You might want to look at learning a sufficiently different "type" of language so that you can point at it and say "yes, I write (Java/C#), but I'm motivated and have learnt (JS/Python/Ruby)|(C/C++)|(Haskell/Scala/F#)|(Lisp/Prolog/Forth/APL) in my own time".

JavaScript (Node.js) and Ruby currently. Does SQL count? Also not sure if SAS is a lanuage, but I know that as well. So I maybe should go for something in the C family? I was never very clear on which of those was the one to choose if I was going to learn it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shirec posted:

JavaScript (Node.js) and Ruby currently. Does SQL count? Also not sure if SAS is a lanuage, but I know that as well. So I maybe should go for something in the C family? I was never very clear on which of those was the one to choose if I was going to learn it.

Java is a C-like, statically typed, compiled language. If that was the direction you wanted to go, I would recommend Java or C#.

Choosing between the two is basically deciding on the type of employer you want to have.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

The Fool posted:

Choosing between the two is basically deciding on the type of employer you want to have.

Oh, what types of employers go for each? I've seen both quite a bit but I never made a note

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Depends on whether you want to work someplace where everything is Microsoft and tether your software career to Microsoft's whims

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Unity uses C# iirc, so if you want to consider game development there's that too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The difference to me seems to be:

Java: big data, science applications, non-windows enterprise
C#: Windows enterprise, finance(?), indie games

fe: But both languages to most things just fine, and attempts to make broad categorizations can make you look like, well, a fool.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Fool posted:

The difference to me seems to be:

Java: big data, science applications, non-windows enterprise
C#: Windows enterprise, finance(?), indie games

fe: But both languages to most things just fine, and attempts to make broad categorizations can make you look like, well, a fool.

Java is also used for android. A bonus is that it lets you segue very easily into kotlin which is JVM compatible and way better, and also supports JS and C++. IIRC, the newer versions of Spring Boot are written in kotlin.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Taffer posted:

Java is also used for android. A bonus is that it lets you segue very easily into kotlin which is JVM compatible and way better, and also supports JS and C++. IIRC, the newer versions of Spring Boot are written in kotlin.

This is exactly right. C# has nothing equivalent to Kotlin afaik. Kotlin is a better argument to learn Java than Java is an argument to learn Java.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Hmmm I think I will stick with Java plan currently. I think my current plan is React/brushing up on Ruby and then Java, Python sometime. I did learn a tiny bit of Java before I went the boot camp route, enough to make a text only point of sale system haha.

It'll be nice to work in a typed language. Lord above, I'm tired of planning around Node fuckery.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Java skills translate reasonably smoothly to and from C#, anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Java is a good language and it's used everywhere.

That said, I'm glad when I could exchange most of my Java work for Scala stuff. Functional programming (like Haskell but new) with the convenience of using Java libraries if really necessary, hell yeah.

Dropped the amount of boilerplate I had to write by somewhere between a tenfold and a hundredfold.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shirec posted:

Hmmm I think I will stick with Java plan currently. I think my current plan is React/brushing up on Ruby and then Java, Python sometime. I did learn a tiny bit of Java before I went the boot camp route, enough to make a text only point of sale system haha.

It'll be nice to work in a typed language. Lord above, I'm tired of planning around Node fuckery.

You need sponsors for your Udemy courses?
https://www.udemy.com/java-the-complete-java-developer-course/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

withoutclass posted:

Spring boot is just fine with Kotlin. The problem with spring is the plug-in support for intellij requires Ultimate. Ktor is pretty rad and I've been doing some side projects with it.

I was talking about Java JVM shops in general, not Spring specifically, but I see how you'd get that rereading my word slurry.

Shirec posted:

I actually know SQL really well, that was the first thing I learned after Visual Basic haha (I dont count VB)

Learn everything about some species of SQL server and become a DBA then you can stack paper so high your hellboss will look like an ant from the top of it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Please excuse cross posting!

Shirec posted:

Speaking of :toot:, I just got an offer from the company I thought was ghosting! With complications, because of course, haha. The offer is no longer for Chicago, but for NYC or Houston. 5 weeks in Boston, if I get an offer at the end of the apprenticeship, it's $75k and I'd be in either of those cities. It starts Sept 10.

I'm legit torn. I moved to be in a safe area LGBT wise, and purse a career. I have two parrots so living with roommates is going to be a challenge. I can't give them up either, they saved me from the worst parts of depression.
I'm thinking I'll take the offer, plan on it being what I do, but I know (cause I asked) that I can still withdraw. So I could instead get another offer from somewhere else and stay in Chicago. And use that current offer as leverage.

I really don't know what to do.

But! I have a light! A way out!

Please throw all the advice at me

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shirec posted:

NYC is LGBT friendly as gently caress, and Texas is surprisingly LGBT friendly in the Cities. As for the birds, I am certain you can find a bird lover in either location.

Go for it. You can always apply elsewhere if you continue to have qualms about the move.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

75k is extremely low for NYC and isn't great for most of the locations nearby where commuting to NYC isn't ridiculously painful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

75k is extremely low for NYC and isn't great for most of the locations nearby where commuting to NYC isn't ridiculously painful.

If you're a single person it's not terrible to live on in neighbouring cities, though the parrots are going to be questionable when it comes to rentals.

NYC is super Gay-OK, so no concerns there.

If you do come to NYC, you can participate in the worst best worst thread.

I'm a little surprised at $75k as a start for an NYC job, especially since it's an "apprenticeship" where you're going to move to a different office after 5 weeks?

We need more details, that sounds a little sketchy to be honest.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Shirec posted:

I know you're (very understandably) put off by Houston because Texas, but as mentioned above Texas cities are way more LGBT friendly than you would probably expect.

This is coming from a cishet white guy in Houston, so take it with as much of a grain of salt as you'd like, but if you're going to take the job I'd give Houston serious consideration. It's a cooler city than you'd think and $75k will go way, way farther

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

If you're a single person it's not terrible to live on in neighbouring cities, though the parrots are going to be questionable when it comes to rentals.

NYC is super Gay-OK, so no concerns there.

If you do come to NYC, you can participate in the worst best worst thread.

I'm a little surprised at $75k as a start for an NYC job, especially since it's an "apprenticeship" where you're going to move to a different office after 5 weeks?

We need more details, that sounds a little sketchy to be honest.

http://www.intrepid.io/ is the company, they were really awesome when I visited. The apprenticeship is really hands on training (from talking to them, it's actual lectures and mentoring, classes and assignments kind of stuff) where they do the first bit, the 5 weeks, at their HQ in Boston. Once you get done with that, you move to the team you'll actually work with (Houston or NYC) and start integrating into the teams. It's a 12 week apprenticeship, so at week 8 is where you officially know if you get an offer or not. They only take on as many people as they can hire, so they budget/plan for hiring 100% of apprentices and historically get about 80%. I'd only be paid $700/week during apprenticeship but that's basically what I'm making now.

The work is client based and has a really good work/life balance. They were bought out last year by Accenture, so they have lots of funding and will have actual HR/corporate polices backing them up while still having a lot more start up style perks.

I can ask more questions of my recruiter, she said to let me know if I had to know anything before I got back to them on the offer. It was also really nice to hear how much the team liked me :3:

Handsome Wife posted:

I know you're (very understandably) put off by Houston because Texas, but as mentioned above Texas cities are way more LGBT friendly than you would probably expect.

This is coming from a cishet white guy in Houston, so take it with as much of a grain of salt as you'd like, but if you're going to take the job I'd give Houston serious consideration. It's a cooler city than you'd think and $75k will go way, way farther

I'm still kind of :swoon: over the idea of NYC, but don't know if I could swing it with that pay, the office is in lower Manhattan so maybe a nightmare commute? I'm 75% decided on Houston (where I was born actually haha), because I've lived in southern city sprawl and can deal. I've heard excellent stuff about the LGBT culture as well, so that is a definite plus

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
So my code challenge project for the second interview I have for the Vancouver job I mentioned is tonight.

The project was a shopping cart/store that pulls product info from an API, then displays a products page, a product page, and the cart, along with functionality to add, remove, and update cart quanitities. I'm generally happy that I've managed to code and entire shopping cart SPA using react and redux in a couple of days, but I don't know if that's actually noteworthy or just what should be expected.

One of the things they will be looking at is my tests, and I've never written tests in code before 2 days ago in my life. The tests for redux actions and reducers were pretty straightforward,but things got messy with components and I don't totally get the library I was using. I hope they are cool with me saying that my experience with testing so far has just been end user tests and appreciate my effort. Wish me luck goons.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 12, 2018

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

I'm still kind of :swoon: over the idea of NYC, but don't know if I could swing it with that pay, the office is in lower Manhattan so maybe a nightmare commute? I'm 75% decided on Houston (where I was born actually haha), because I've lived in southern city sprawl and can deal. I've heard excellent stuff about the LGBT culture as well, so that is a definite plus

You could live in Jersey City or Hoboken (or surrounding areas in NJ) and take the PATH or the ferry into lower Manhattan. And that's the ugly, awful part of NJ where the "jersey driver" stereotype was born.

But yeah, Houston is still going to be significantly cheaper.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You can definitely live in NYC on $75k, especially if youre willing to put up with roommates and an hour-long commute to downtown and not saving much. Im sure you can live better in Houston for that money, but $75k isnt poverty-level in NYC.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

One of the things they will be looking at is my tests, and I've never written tests in code before 2 days ago in my life. The tests for redux actions and reducers were pretty straightforward,but things got messy with components and I don't totally get the library I was using. I hope they are cool with me saying that my experience with testing so far has just been end user tests and appreciate my effort. Wish me luck goons.

Good luck! Front end testing is weird. Some places want it tested as thoroughly as possible, while other places are much more laissez faire, because front ends change too often to warrant updating all the tests. I have a policy of smoke testing every React component (does it render/does it not-error) and leaving it at that, but I'm mainly building MVP UIs at this point just to get poo poo out the door.

For contrast, everything I write for an API gets unit tested thoroughly, for every variation of permissions, error handling, and response type. If your back end won't let anything bad slip through, you can afford to be way less careful with your front end.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

gently caress yeah, Im legit so happy for you.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Thank you everyone! Y'all have legit been a light in these dark times. I know goons and all, but the words and offers of help I've received were lifesavers when I was in a dark ocean :kimchi:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Paying the same between NYC or Houston just seems odd to me. Like, I wonder if they're dangling that wage and Houston, but NYC is actually the only available place.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Paying the same between NYC or Houston just seems odd to me. Like, I wonder if they're dangling that wage and Houston, but NYC is actually the only available place.

I can ask! Maybe she said 75 because that's the base but it's adjusted up if I decided to go to NYC? I figure Thursday or Friday, I'm gonna call with questions and if the answers are acceptable, then I'm going to accept the offer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shirec posted:

at week 8 is where you officially know if you get an offer or not.

What happens if you don't get an offer?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Congratulations Shirec

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

What happens if you don't get an offer?

Scramble for a job? I honestly think it sounds like a different method to the 3 month probation period a lot places have. They base the offer on whether you get along with the team, learn, and can handle clients. I also am not terribly worried about proving myself. Hopefully that's not too cocky, and I know it's not an ideal offer :ohdear:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Most of NYC transit is based around getting people to lower manhattan so thatll be ok. Dont live in jersey. I started out living in bushwick making 54k and that was fine (not that it would be fine in bushwick now, probably). Expect a 45 minute commute but its a lot different when youre not driving.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jersey is fine, just don't pick a lovely spot. Roommates make things dramatically more possible. Feel free to reach out to me or others if you do end up in NYC.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

... I also am not terribly worried about proving myself. Hopefully that's not too cocky ...
I think that's just called (self-)confidence. I'm glad to see your boss hasn't succeeded in his attempts at thoroughly beating it out of you.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shirec posted:

http://www.intrepid.io/ is the company, they were really awesome when I visited. The apprenticeship is really hands on training (from talking to them, it's actual lectures and mentoring, classes and assignments kind of stuff) where they do the first bit, the 5 weeks, at their HQ in Boston. Once you get done with that, you move to the team you'll actually work with (Houston or NYC) and start integrating into the teams. It's a 12 week apprenticeship, so at week 8 is where you officially know if you get an offer or not. They only take on as many people as they can hire, so they budget/plan for hiring 100% of apprentices and historically get about 80%. I'd only be paid $700/week during apprenticeship but that's basically what I'm making now.

The work is client based and has a really good work/life balance. They were bought out last year by Accenture, so they have lots of funding and will have actual HR/corporate polices backing them up while still having a lot more start up style perks.

I can ask more questions of my recruiter, she said to let me know if I had to know anything before I got back to them on the offer. It was also really nice to hear how much the team liked me :3:

One thing to check out before you make a decision: what's the travel situation? Consulting in general can have jobs where your boss texts you on a Saturday saying, "we just landed a contract in Tallahassee, book your flight and hotel and I'll see you Monday." Accenture and other big firms are notorious for this, because they're signing deals everywhere and need bodies to fill them (also, when people are stuck in the middle of nowhere away from home, they don't have anything to do but go back to the hotel room and bill a few more hours).

If you have pets that might need a special sitter, make sure that you can get plenty of advance notice about travel.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

One thing to check out before you make a decision: what's the travel situation? Consulting in general can have jobs where your boss texts you on a Saturday saying, "we just landed a contract in Tallahassee, book your flight and hotel and I'll see you Monday."

Seconding this. The furthest clients I had were 50 miles from home, since my companies were either local shops themselves or kept people within their home region, but there very much are companies that will ship you all over the place.

That said, I can think of no better way to get exposed to a lot of technologies fast. Running a few years in consulting did much to jump-start my own career.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've been denied jobs in consultancy because I've been told I'm not enough of an arrogant dickhead in a suit to be able to pull it off (at least that's what their explanation boiled down to).

I have a pretty good in-house job at a software company now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being able to perform arrogance when appropriate is a useful skill for a consultant to have, because under the right circumstances it's very persuasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This morning I came in early and the local git server is down. My branch is merged and I needed to pull the updated master. So here I am, posting.
Also a bunch of nightly jobs failed as they lean on git it seems.
Oh and some other jobs only report "Command exited with status 1" without anything else and it seems someone turned logging off.
To top it off, the PO basically told me to ignore all quality gateways to make some artificial deadline because after that we have another artificial deadline to make. The technical debt is growing, the interest we pay on it increases and there is no plan to ever pay it off.

Everything considered it seems like every development job in the history of development jobs, with Shirec's job as the exception (congrats on leaving that demon).