Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
man back in those days twitch used to be such a horrorshow hahaha get it???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I had to google to understand all those posts: turns out horror was the name of a twitch moderator and there was a big brouhaha when some emotes got removed and then a lot of bans happened for mod sass.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Back in 2013(?) he had too much to drink and had to skip one of his scheduled runs; GDQ staff decided to pull his other runs that event.

I remember walking down the stairs the morning after and saw the puke stain from that. Sad, cause i wanted to watch doom 64.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think Doom 64 wasn't allowed on bonus stream specifically, and not the main stream

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of bans didn't peaches catch one and what was it for.

Gave an underage kid who was having a panic attack weed edibles without telling the kid he was giving him weed, making the problem worse.

Also weed is still illegal in VA so having as much weed on him as he did was A Problem too.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

axeil posted:

Gave an underage kid who was having a panic attack weed edibles without telling the kid he was giving him weed, making the problem worse.

Also weed is still illegal in VA so having as much weed on him as he did was A Problem too.

That wasn’t peaches that was bubbles

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Understandable mistake, they're both names for round things.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i thought the guy knew it was weed what rumour is true ???

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He knew it was weed, but wasn't very experienced at Eating Weeds.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cool Matty posted:

The moderation situation is honestly just really unfortunate. It's hard not to be heavy handed, because you'll get trolls who want to do any of the following:

1. "What, I said this completely innocuous thing, I didn't mean it in a racist way! *wink wink nudge nudge*" - The usual edgelord stuff.

2. Demand exact and specific rules on what they're allowed to say. As anyone who's tried to program a language filter knows, this is doomed to fail. They'll always find something new, or hell, even invent something new.

3. And the best of all, the ones who take the fall on purpose to try and be chat martyrs.

I'm glad we're in a position where we can donate our subscriber revenue to charity, because if we couldn't, this would be a huge mess to deal with. Not that I enjoy requiring that mode in the first place.

All three of those people deserve to be forever banned then poo poo down their throat and mocked until the end of time. GDQ should keep doing what it's doing, pissing off idiots is an extra bonus.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you want a good channel chat to watch GDQ in, PJ has a great community and always hosts the big events. I hung out there before I started attending. Now its the primary group I hang out with at the event.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eonwe posted:

free peaches

What do I have to purchase to take advantage of this amazing offer?

~Millions of peaches... peaches for me~

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

eonwe posted:

that is me. i play the poo poo out of that game. do u play or were you watching a stream

feel free to add me if you wanna play a game, especially throne of lies

that goes for anyone

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Eonwe01/

I play, usually I'm scraw. moon2S

let's speedrun it by being fools

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

b_d posted:

I had to google to understand all those posts: turns out horror was the name of a twitch moderator and there was a big brouhaha when some emotes got removed and then a lot of bans happened for mod sass.

His biggest crime was being a furry and making an emote out of his fursona. Everything else was just friction.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

His biggest crime was being a furry and making an emote out of his fursona. Everything else was just friction.
I believe there was also some other dumb furry drama, like making a global emote of his boyfriend's fursona with a name referencing said fursona's (glow in the dark?) genitals.

Internet drama was fun in the previous administration. Now it's just exhausting. I've gotten old, man. I'm becoming my parents, as if my backache and receding hairline wasn't reminder enough.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The Kins posted:

I believe there was also some other dumb furry drama, like making a global emote of his boyfriend's fursona with a name referencing said fursona's (glow in the dark?) genitals.

Internet drama was fun in the previous administration. Now it's just exhausting. I've gotten old, man. I'm becoming my parents, as if my backache and receding hairline wasn't reminder enough.

Horror had no tact in how he dealt with people, and managed to get an internet aggro mob on him that probably wouldn't have happened if he had more foresight. The emote thing was goofy though, he put up NightLight, which was his boyfriend's fursona. Except this was when a bunch of other people's emotes were being denied, and I'm 90% sure that the only art of NightLight that existed outside of the emote was vore with Horror's fursona.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I see... they didn’t mention any of that in the official twitch post-drama apology/announcement reddit post, for some reason.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
One of the emotes taken was afrok and the reason given for it being denied was it being a hello kitty character even though it has nothing to do with Sanrio. They used to play emotes really safe iirc they didn't even like giving people straight sprite rips.

it's actually really funny in retrospect because they've totally gone the other way with emotes and give 0 fucks about who uses what. I know people with spongebob emotes and my own tier1 is the loving first panel of loss

E. I vaguely remember back then someone said horror used to mod on 7chan before getting ran out for some reason

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
this was before they had the idea of monetizing emotes so all of those twitch emotes were global

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Horror and NightLight were global. Partners emotes you had to subscribe for.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah i paid good loving money for afroken to get to use it for like a week

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Kins posted:

This was what I understood it to be at the time, something of a final straw.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Remove horror is a high point in my twitch life

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I believe Horror was also the only person paid money by Twitch to be a community mod and was fired shortly after that fiasco.

I think the whole situation was more a symptom of Twitch growing from startup to billion dollar company overnight.

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I believe Horror was also the only person paid money by Twitch to be a community mod and was fired shortly after that fiasco.

I think the whole situation was more a symptom of Twitch growing from startup to billion dollar company overnight.

I think their growth has been a pretty consistent rise up until Amazon bought them. Definitely not an overnight sensation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the problem is that while their growth was constant rather than explosive, they never at all adjusted to that growth early on. twitch was a pretty rinkydink operation administration-wise for like, a long time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha once i saw the word "horror" in the first reply to me it all came flooding back.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Mate of mine does a lot of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup speedruns

so have one

DCSS realtime speedrun world record 31 may 2018 p0werm0de 26:44 be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cHD-i-X3s

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

heeheex2 posted:

Remove horror is a high point in my twitch life

same tbh

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

glad to see you're finally free

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I could do with some free peaches right now.

Kinda hungry tbh

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

top3 speedmoments for me:

agdq2014 (my first agdq)
remove horror
kannonless king

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's very hard to beat PJ's Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 run with the Hype vs. Silence bidwar.

Also, with the announcement of Metal Wolf Chaos XD, I now have to rewatch Murphagator's SGDQ 2014 All Cutscenes run.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So if I find a game with no speed run times on speedrun.com can I just submit a time and video proof and momentarily own the world record?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Generally yes, though some communities have their leaderboards not on speedrun.com

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Also some people don't consider just one submission a WR. usually they want a sampling pool and eventually others will hopefully join

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
also before claiming to have an uncontested wr in some obscure game you should do at least basic due diligence seeing if anybody has a run on youtube or anything

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Last I checked there was no WR for Circa Infinity, so if anyone wants to route that out go ahead. I found a few skips in it, mostly by squeezing into near-pixel-perfect gaps between enemies. Ok nevermind there's speedruns on youtube now.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i wonder if there is a WR for that unnamed racing sim game they had at the health museum as a kid where you slowly get more and more drunk as time passes showing the effects of inebriation. someone out there beat that game, and someone out there is speedrunning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Galaxy brain: Get a WR in your own self-made unpublished game.