Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moeljbcp
Dec 6, 2004

In case of fire, call a plumber
Fun Shoe
My only personal complaint about GDQ/RPGLB/etc is the slightly excessive moderation. I suppose it's inevitable when there is such a high volume of chat that they will err on the side of caution and be overzealous, but it is demoralizing when you try to be silly and participative in Twitch chat and get hit with a timeout for your trouble. I suppose my mistake was trying to participate in that hot mess in the first place. Regardless of my complaint, the mods for these events do a pretty dang good job considering how much noise there is to sort through. They manage to reduce the onslaught of nasty garbage in chat enormously.

Oh, and I don't know about Twitch overall, but if they are cracking down on casual racism and bigotry then good on them. Leaving that kind of toxicity ignored does far too much to normalize it. Quite the crap storm that got kicked up in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

This is the worst GDQ discussion speedrun, and you all should be ashamed for participating in it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I think my favorite thing about NASA are the people who aren't part of the Duke Bilgewater fan club that go.

The room is always nearly empty for their runs, like 2 people watching the speedrun at the speedrun marathon and 24 people who actually consent to get into an argument with Naegleria (playing mafia)

the funniest bit was their group picture of them all doing the okl hand sign and wearing maga hats gets posted around as a /pol/ meetup and they get all mad but honestly it's basically true its just they planed it in the /vg/ thread /pol/ leaked into

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Crotch Bat posted:

Follow exactly none of them, sorry. Here's my big list.

https://imgur.com/a/I4P7DNu

Cutoff at bottom are Treckie, Adam_ak, funkdoc, and Sinister1. Bottom 2 you can't see are sodapoppin and reckful.

I don't follow bad people *Follows Dr. Disrespect*

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

moeljbcp posted:

My only personal complaint about GDQ/RPGLB/etc is the slightly excessive moderation. I suppose it's inevitable when there is such a high volume of chat that they will err on the side of caution and be overzealous, but it is demoralizing when you try to be silly and participative in Twitch chat and get hit with a timeout for your trouble. I suppose my mistake was trying to participate in that hot mess in the first place. Regardless of my complaint, the mods for these events do a pretty dang good job considering how much noise there is to sort through. They manage to reduce the onslaught of nasty garbage in chat enormously.

Oh, and I don't know about Twitch overall, but if they are cracking down on casual racism and bigotry then good on them. Leaving that kind of toxicity ignored does far too much to normalize it. Quite the crap storm that got kicked up in here!

The way that chat works i'm surprised you can do anything on it, honestly.

I think with GDQ style events you have to get pretty strict to avoid random people doing poo poo for internet attention, I remember the AGDQs i was at personally kind of had that problem, because imo the only people willing to sit through the stank of the audience area of the stream room were people looking for e-attention.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Infected posted:

This is the worst GDQ discussion speedrun, and you all should be ashamed for participating in it.
Nah, these last couple pages of people piling on Crotch Bat for being awful has been great. It's nice to be reminded that most of the people who post in here are at least several notches above your average internet video games poster.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hold on, I saw like 100 new posts in here, what the hell happened?

Crotch Bat posted:

GDQ is evolving right alongside Twitch in the "don't ever for any reason do anything even remotely close to possibly being in consideration for maybe being something that someone, somewhere, in one of the multiverses considers offensive". It is astounding what Twitch is up to these days in an attempt to almost completely sterilize the platform of any remotely interesting personalities.

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

:yikes:

The rest of you are just the best, though. Can't believe it's only a month until another livechat thread!

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

xamphear posted:

Nah, these last couple pages of people piling on Crotch Bat for being awful has been great. It's nice to be reminded that most of the people who post in here are at least several notches above your average internet video games poster.

More that we have to have this exact discussion seemingly before and after every GDQ instead of people just going this is dumb and moving on, but if you are elated by this repeating itself, I guess more power to you.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Infected posted:

More that we have to have this exact discussion seemingly before and after every GDQ instead of people just going this is dumb and moving on, but if you are elated by this repeating itself, I guess more power to you.
Given the other way the discussion could go, I'm going to take this one, thanks. (Not repeating it isn't an option, it's just not.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Infected posted:

Yeah we should let bigot sympathizers just post whatever they want man!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bring back bonus streams, but also ban werster for life. Win win.

hell yeah

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Try not to glitch through reading comprehension maybe?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah we should let bigot sympathizers just post whatever they want man!

We could just ban them?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Infected posted:

Try not to glitch through reading comprehension maybe?

Like it took a hilariously short amount of time to reveal this last one was defending a bunch of streamers who were banned for using slurs on stream. I think that proves the conversation needs to be had every time it comes up since it clearly hasn't permeated enough.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

We could just ban them?

Wrong-warp them to the Leper's Colony!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
sequence break turning on your monitor

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
The moderation situation is honestly just really unfortunate. It's hard not to be heavy handed, because you'll get trolls who want to do any of the following:

1. "What, I said this completely innocuous thing, I didn't mean it in a racist way! *wink wink nudge nudge*" - The usual edgelord stuff.

2. Demand exact and specific rules on what they're allowed to say. As anyone who's tried to program a language filter knows, this is doomed to fail. They'll always find something new, or hell, even invent something new.

3. And the best of all, the ones who take the fall on purpose to try and be chat martyrs.

I'm glad we're in a position where we can donate our subscriber revenue to charity, because if we couldn't, this would be a huge mess to deal with. Not that I enjoy requiring that mode in the first place.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gdq is good for punishing shitheads and edgy nerds

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive never had a heated gaming moment and accidentally did a racism, sexism, or transphobia

well thats my story

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I usually just hide the chat whenever I watch Twitch streams, so I don't mind that it's heavily moderated. Is the moderation working though? Is the GDQ chat clean enough to be worth watching nowadays?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Is the GDQ chat clean enough to be worth watching nowadays?

lol

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

To elaborate on this in a more serious way: even if it were clean "enough" (debatable even if I were being massively charitable and assuming sub only mode) it's too noisy to be anything other than a massive crowd aggregate reaction. Think of a stadium crowd cheering. You wouldn't try to have a deep discussion with somebody five rows back at a sports event so I think the same approach applies here when the crowd gets to a certain size.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I still wonder if Twitch will ever do [invisible or otherwise] chat splitting for big events. Put you in a subchat room with a thousand other people or whatever.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Spamming memes in chat is like 90% of twitch's success.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Why would you even keep Twitch chat on for an event like that. You have Streamlink Twitch GUI on one screen and the SA threads for quality shitposting without the need to to be awful edgelords to go with it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I still wonder if Twitch will ever do [invisible or otherwise] chat splitting for big events. Put you in a subchat room with a thousand other people or whatever.

It's common for people to restream GDQs for their own chat, and some of the smaller ones can actually be perfectly lovely.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

twitch chat during gdqs is only worth it when something weird happens and they all spam wutface, for some reason it always makes me laugh after all these years

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The best moment in chat was Color A Dinosaur, when somebody discovered the emotes were displayed in full resolution, and one of the whitelisted emotes was gigantic for some reason. Chat immediately seized the opportunity.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Cool Matty posted:

I'm glad we're in a position where we can donate our subscriber revenue to charity, because if we couldn't, this would be a huge mess to deal with. Not that I enjoy requiring that mode in the first place.
I just make sure I have my Twitch Prime sub ready to go for whatever week a GDQ is starting. Not that I say much of anything in chat, because it's a lot like yelling in a room full of a thousand other people also yelling. Everyone talking, no one listening.

Uh, as a side note, a few years back I mailed you an RGB-modded NES top loader with multi-out connector. Every marathon, I wonder if it's still being put to use, but haven't wanted to bother you with another email or DM. Is it still working well? Hopefully it's not giving the tech crew any issues.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

xamphear posted:

I just make sure I have my Twitch Prime sub ready to go for whatever week a GDQ is starting. Not that I say much of anything in chat, because it's a lot like yelling in a room full of a thousand other people also yelling. Everyone talking, no one listening.

Uh, as a side note, a few years back I mailed you an RGB-modded NES top loader with multi-out connector. Every marathon, I wonder if it's still being put to use, but haven't wanted to bother you with another email or DM. Is it still working well? Hopefully it's not giving the tech crew any issues.

Definitely, we actually have a full stock of RGB NESes now, and we use them all. I don't know if yours in particular has given us issues, but some of them have. The mods are definitely touchy, but we have more issues with the cartridge connector than anything else.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Cool Matty posted:

Definitely, we actually have a full stock of RGB NESes now, and we use them all. I don't know if yours in particular has given us issues, but some of them have. The mods are definitely touchy, but we have more issues with the cartridge connector than anything else.
Neat, thanks! :D I'll take the fact that mine hasn't done anything so awful as to stand out in your mind as a good sign. I'll try to catch it on stream again in a few weeks, I made the power button light up red, so I'd be able to pick it out from the rest of the pack.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

eonwe posted:

gdq is good for punishing shitheads and edgy nerds

eonwe I saw someone with your name in Throne of Lies

was it you and if so can Throne of Lies be speedrun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Golbez posted:

eonwe I saw someone with your name in Throne of Lies

was it you and if so can Throne of Lies be speedrun

that is me. i play the poo poo out of that game. do u play or were you watching a stream

feel free to add me if you wanna play a game, especially throne of lies

that goes for anyone

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Eonwe01/

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 6, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of bans didn't peaches catch one and what was it for.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Do you mean a few years back? During the whole Horror debacle, he was temp banned because his stream title was Remove Horror.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
free peaches

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Millions of peaches,

eonwe posted:

free peaches

Close enough.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Suspicious posted:

Do you mean a few years back? During the whole Horror debacle, he was temp banned because his stream title was Remove Horror.

Using my keyboard to Remove Horror, while playing Typing of the Dead, no less. At least I think that was peaches.

GDQ got a little boring when they stopped people from doing anything that distracted from the run, like the random props on the couch or the occasional goofball with a DS during game switches. They seem to have loosened up about that recently though, which is cool, and good.

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's common for people to restream GDQs for their own chat, and some of the smaller ones can actually be perfectly lovely.

And yeah, this. See if any of your chill friends is participating in or hosting a GDQ chat and you can have a really good time without the constant white noise.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Back in 2013(?) he had too much to drink and had to skip one of his scheduled runs; GDQ staff decided to pull his other runs that event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Groovelord Neato posted:

one GDQ he got super drunk and had to pull out and they got mad at him or some poo poo.

he also got banned on twitch for the Remove Horror drama, announced he was quitting twitch and was going to hitbox, then came back later