Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
I purchased Saints Row 2 during a recent steam sale because I remember it being amazing, but the driving controls are mapped to A and B and not the triggers? It's feels really awkward to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The PC port of SR2 is notoriously terrible. I highly recommend installing the Gentlemen of the Row mod, which fixes many bugs and adds a bunch of great new stuff. It's so god drat good that Volition hired the person who made it, who is a goon!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Internet Victory posted:

I purchased Saints Row 2 during a recent steam sale because I remember it being amazing, but the driving controls are mapped to A and B and not the triggers? It's feels really awkward to drive.

That's how it was back then. Think of it like before people figured how to implement the mouse in PC games.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Ariong posted:

The PC port of SR2 is notoriously terrible. I highly recommend installing the Gentlemen of the Row mod, which fixes many bugs and adds a bunch of great new stuff. It's so god drat good that Volition hired the person who made it, who is a goon!

Will definitely check this out, thanks!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Internet Victory posted:

There’s a second set of driving controls I think. This might not have been true of SR1, which is (still?) a 360 exclusive, but that one did have a ton of missions where you needed to drive and shoot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to the Eagle's Tower in Link's Awakening and I really like the tone of the game overall. The world isn't impressed by you. You aren't the hero of time/winds/twilight/whatever, you aren't wielding the Sword that Seals the Darkness - all you are, and all the bosses/murals refer to you as, is Castaway. That's all. Just some random loser who got unlucky and is now going to destroy the island out of ignorance. You're basically Nier, destroying the whole world just to do the thing you want to do.

It reminds me of what I liked about Twilight Princess's somewhat bleak tone which was that initially the quest isn't yours - Midna is calling the shots. You have no idea how to save the world, so Midna's plan to gather the pieces of her helm are all you have to go on. Also in wolf form people are afraid of you, so you get your initial equipment through literally listening to the devil on your shoulder and stealing it from cowering civilians homes. You don't even know if Midna's plan will do anything but help her, she certainly doesn't seem to care about restoring Hyrule, in fact she says herself she likes it bathed in Twilight.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got to the Eagle's Tower in Link's Awakening and I really like the tone of the game overall. The world isn't impressed by you. You aren't the hero of time/winds/twilight/whatever, you aren't wielding the Sword that Seals the Darkness - all you are, and all the bosses/murals refer to you as, is Castaway. That's all. Just some random loser who got unlucky and is now going to destroy the island out of ignorance. You're basically Nier, destroying the whole world just to do the thing you want to do.

It reminds me of what I liked about Twilight Princess's somewhat bleak tone which was that initially the quest isn't yours - Midna is calling the shots. You have no idea how to save the world, so Midna's plan to gather the pieces of her helm are all you have to go on. Also in wolf form people are afraid of you, so you get your initial equipment through literally listening to the devil on your shoulder and stealing it from cowering civilians homes. You don't even know if Midna's plan will do anything but help her, she certainly doesn't seem to care about restoring Hyrule, in fact she says herself she likes it bathed in Twilight.

Oh man. You going to love Majora's Mask.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just started playing Iconoclasts, which is a very prettily-rendered (pixel art) 2D platformer game. So far not too much about it stands out, except you have a ground-pound ability, and when you use it on an enemy its sprite squishes and rebounds, sort of like a springboard, which just looks and feels fantastic.

You also get the occasional dialog prompt, which so far has consistently let me sound like a crazy person. A+ will always tell random people "I have a bomb!" when they ask if I'm a mechanic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

PubicMice posted:

Oh man. You going to love Majora's Mask.

I'm just going through the ones I haven't beaten because while I've seen LPs of most of them I haven't beaten many myself - now that Link's Awakening is done, I've beaten 3 Zelda games, LTTP, LA and Wind Waker.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just started playing Iconoclasts, which is a very prettily-rendered (pixel art) 2D platformer game. So far not too much about it stands out, except you have a ground-pound ability, and when you use it on an enemy its sprite squishes and rebounds, sort of like a springboard, which just looks and feels fantastic.

You also get the occasional dialog prompt, which so far has consistently let me sound like a crazy person. A+ will always tell random people "I have a bomb!" when they ask if I'm a mechanic.

A lot of the game doesn't really stand out (besides the sprite art), tbh. It's really more a lot of small things all working well together to make a good game, which makes it really hard to sell it to anyone. A favorite little thing in that game is the supporting cast. The world is kinda bleak and the way they all individually deal with that is interesting.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
https://youtu.be/FnEW6dX_BmU

Bethesda rolling with those punches, haha.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Safeword posted:

https://youtu.be/FnEW6dX_BmU

Bethesda rolling with those punches, haha.

It's real: https://kotaku.com/wait-skyrim-very-special-edition-for-amazons-alexa-is-1826719836

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'd forgotten how beautiful the soundtrack to Assassin's Creed 2. The layered music, gentle instruments, soft vocals...all can build into their own distinct combat and escape music. It's a gorgeous thing to listen to and the game wouldn't have been even half as atmospheric without Jesper Kyd.

That is incredible.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Safeword posted:

I'd forgotten how beautiful the soundtrack to Assassin's Creed 2. The layered music, gentle instruments, soft vocals...all can build into their own distinct combat and escape music. It's a gorgeous thing to listen to and the game wouldn't have been even half as atmospheric without Jesper Kyd.

I absolutely love the track Salvation of Forli :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myywbAPETVk

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Safeword posted:

That is incredible.

Most of the Assassin’s Creed games have had great music.

Black Flag has some very good music as well, and I’m not just talking about the Shanties.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm replaying Live a Live because I love that game and have only played it once a few years ago.

Something I like is that despite the overall depressing story there is some levity, like the immortal ghost man in the Ninja chapter, once you solve the puzzle around defeating him, changing his first textbox from "Hahaha! I am immortal!" to "Ha...he... I am... immor..tal? :ohdear:" Also the soundtrack is great and I love that each chapter has a gimmick appropriate to that type of story. Currently partway through the Martial Artist chapter after beating the Ninja chapter (although the latter was very hard to navigate)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3_az-fpXU

Dragon Quest Builders won't let me be stupid

Between this and more Skyrim chat, I'm still on my first playthrough of that and I found... this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJfZNYWR3I

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That seems like a callback to Morrowind, where the following occurs if you take a direct path from the starting town of Seyda Neen toward Balmora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFUqAjp-pE

There is a better quality version of this on YouTube, but it seems to feature a modification that features "full anatomy" instead of conveniently placed underwear...

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jun 12, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't have a screenshot on this computer, but MGSV (Quiet Recruiting mission): If you have D-Dog with you as your buddy, during he whole bit where Snake and Quiet take on the jet, he's sitting in the choppers copilot seat. Good dog.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The trailer for the new Smash Bros character announced with... basically the entire rest of the game today, has a fun little reference in it that gives that new character a LOT of personality.

Also the whole trailer before that point basically depicts Ridley as a Xenomorph with wings, which is honestly the best treatment the guy's ever had.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even playing a lot of Metroid (and having the Prime games basically shape my teens) I just can't be arsed to give a poo poo about Ridley. Just don't really care about a grey dragon blob, including when they showed up in the games. That is a cool little link they did, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
His appearance is probably less celebrated as less 'yay, Ridley specifically' and more as 'yay, more Metroid representation'. The series has so little in the way of prominent returning characters that the list of viable reps for Smash is literally just him and Samus. I mean, who else is there? Dark Samus would just be a clone even if she has other moves canonically, Kraid is five storeys tall, and nobody wants Adam in anything ever.

So far Smash is 3-for-3 on doing Ridley better than the source material, though. This one came up with a never-explored direction for him that really works, Smash 4 has a better Ridley boss fight than Other M, and Brawl came up with a Ridley cutscene so good that the actual series stole it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It probably started as "we want more Metroid representation" and Ridley was the only one that fit the bill for all the reasons you mentioned, but people have been clamoring for Ridley specifically since before Brawl came out I'm pretty sure.

You know who I want to see now? Captain N and fuckin Eggplant Wizard. There's nowhere else to go from here.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know it's a tired meme and all but it's very silly that we still don't have waluigi even as an echo character

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I know it's a tired meme and all but it's very silly that we still don't have waluigi even as an echo character

I'm honestly surprised WaLuigi wasn't a playable fighter. That said, he can't be just an Echo Character because his model's too unique to derive from another character.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm replaying Live a Live because I love that game and have only played it once a few years ago.

Something I like is that despite the overall depressing story there is some levity, like the immortal ghost man in the Ninja chapter, once you solve the puzzle around defeating him, changing his first textbox from "Hahaha! I am immortal!" to "Ha...he... I am... immor..tal? :ohdear:" Also the soundtrack is great and I love that each chapter has a gimmick appropriate to that type of story. Currently partway through the Martial Artist chapter after beating the Ninja chapter (although the latter was very hard to navigate)

My favorite little thing about Live a Live: in the Japanese version there was only one font used for all the text, but the fan translation actually adds in different fonts for each time period. It's a nice little touch that never goes far enough to be distracting or annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to play as the alien bird thing that teaches you how to shinespark

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Backbreaker is a pretty bog standard American Football game except for one thing; it's powered by the Euphoria engine and that means that every tackle and hit causes opponents to ragdoll in pretty amusing or brutal ways. It's a shame that the series never caught on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Testekill posted:

Backbreaker is a pretty bog standard American Football game except for one thing; it's powered by the Euphoria engine and that means that every tackle and hit causes opponents to ragdoll in pretty amusing or brutal ways. It's a shame that the series never caught on

Supposedly the reason Euphoria never really caught on is that it was extremely difficult to use and you basically had to completely design your engine around it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Waluigi should have a fighting style completely based around sports (i.e whacking people with a tennis racket or golf club) since the only reason Waluigi existed in the first place was because Wario needed a doubles partner for tennis.

But I think the reason he's not a fighter is because A) There's already too many Mario characters in Smash and B) Nintendo loves trolling their fanbase

But hey Ridley is playable so that's good. :shrug:

Not sure how I feel about Pokemon Trainer coming back, Charizard was way better off as a standalone fighter.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Jun 13, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

His appearance is probably less celebrated as less 'yay, Ridley specifically' and more as 'yay, more Metroid representation'. The series has so little in the way of prominent returning characters that the list of viable reps for Smash is literally just him and Samus. I mean, who else is there? Dark Samus would just be a clone even if she has other moves canonically, Kraid is five storeys tall, and nobody wants Adam in anything ever.

So far Smash is 3-for-3 on doing Ridley better than the source material, though. This one came up with a never-explored direction for him that really works, Smash 4 has a better Ridley boss fight than Other M, and Brawl came up with a Ridley cutscene so good that the actual series stole it.

Olimar isn't even an inch tall yet they still managed to put him into the game. But yeah, you're not wrong, Metroid just doesn't have a lot of memorable characters to pull from. You've got Samus and Ridley, since every game needs a nemesis and... Metroids? At best, you could put one of those characters from Prime 3 in like Ghor Rundas or Gandrayda. Sure, people may not know who they are but that's how the games started anyway. I personally had no idea who Ness or Captain Falcon where when I first played Smash 64. And the same for Marth and Roy on Melee.

Also I kinda hope they put some ARMS characters in, even if they'd all be the same by the broad strokes of things. I hope they do add more characters than just Inkling and Ridley. Can't think of anyone I'd like to see off the top of my head though, but it's always nice to have more options. Ooh, maybe they'll add in Cranky and Funky Kong. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
have they added Mike from Startropics yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Olimar isn't even an inch tall yet they still managed to put him into the game. But yeah, you're not wrong, Metroid just doesn't have a lot of memorable characters to pull from. You've got Samus and Ridley, since every game needs a nemesis and... Metroids? At best, you could put one of those characters from Prime 3 in like Ghor Rundas or Gandrayda. Sure, people may not know who they are but that's how the games started anyway. I personally had no idea who Ness or Captain Falcon where when I first played Smash 64. And the same for Marth and Roy on Melee.

Also I kinda hope they put some ARMS characters in, even if they'd all be the same by the broad strokes of things. I hope they do add more characters than just Inkling and Ridley. Can't think of anyone I'd like to see off the top of my head though, but it's always nice to have more options. Ooh, maybe they'll add in Cranky and Funky Kong. :v:

Hey now, they could always bring back Anthony and Ada-OW, OW, GOD PLEASE STOP HITTING ME I WAS JOKING! :gibs:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Add shovel knight

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey now, they could always bring back Anthony and Ada-OW, OW, GOD PLEASE STOP HITTING ME I WAS JOKING! :gibs:

Anthony was one of the better parts about Other M though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RareAcumen posted:

My go-to for dream first-party Nintendo characters is Porky Minch. Probably in his Earthbound end-boss spider mech, since that seems like it's probably a pretty good size, but you can plumb Mother 3 for a really good and varied moveset.

And I think the thing about Metroid's villains isn't just that they're big, it's that they have a clear (if not always consistent) scale and are supposed to be huge compared to the player character. Olimar can scale fine because he's never put up against anything else Nintendo to compare against; Kirby's like six inches tall canonically, but because the games don't really care about that we can scale him and his buddies just fine, because they're all meant to be of comparable size anyway.

But a core facet of most of Metroid's bosses, especially the recurring ones, is that compared to Samus they're loving enormous. Kraid's the obvious example, since a part of his boss fights is actually scaling the arena just so you can hit his head. The other hunters from Prime 3 are some of the only bosses that don't tower over her (and even then you've got Ghor, who gets in his mech to fight). Something that made Dark Samus stand out as a fight in Prime 2 was that you were fighting something your own size, rather than picking a fight against a giant. Most of them you can't just shrink without losing a big part of their design.

But Ridley is at least capable of being shrunk down to a reasonable 'Smash fighter' size without losing much just by being a bit clever, though, which they've done well. His size in Brawl is about consistent with how big he was in Super, Fusion and Zero Mission, where he took up like half the screen. Smash Universe Ridley is constantly crouched and slouching, hiding his true height (much like his posture in Super), but there's a button that just has him stand up straight that they've shown off, and he's pretty loving tall. In fact, comparing his height to Samus', I'd put him as about the height of Metroid Prime Ridley; about two and a half times Samus' height, he's big and imposing without being gargantuan.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ridley in the NES Metroid was about the same size as Samus. His size about as consistent as Bowser's.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Add shovel knight
This. Add Shovel Knight and make Plague Knight a secret unlockable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

My go-to for dream first-party Nintendo characters is Porky Minch. Probably in his Earthbound end-boss spider mech, since that seems like it's probably a pretty good size, but you can plumb Mother 3 for a really good and varied moveset.
I would rather have had Pokey than Lucas.