Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do it! I paid $15 for it. It's a joy!

How likely is it to leak all over my pocket though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Lowness 72 posted:

After continuing to write with the Moonman, I went through my drawer and found my Conklin DURAFLEX and gave it another shot. What a piece - of - poo poo that pen is. I paid like $60 for that garbage! I could have purchased two Moonmans for that! Ugh! Why didn't I learn my lesson on the first Conklin I bought that was absolutely nothing special for $60 or whatever.

In other news - I also ordered one of these Kaweco knock offs, in Green. I'm excited to try it when it arrives!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232779508973

It really is a piece of poo poo. I've been trying to use mine again as well. The littlest bit of pressure will splay the tines and just feels cheap overall.

At least now I know better. Maybe one day there will be a nice proper flex pen under $150ish that's not poo poo

edit: is my understanding of Modern Conklin right? It used to be an old american fountain pen company that went under in the later 20th century, then the name got bought (By yafa?) and now it's used to put out cheap garbage?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 12, 2018

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

They just announced like six new ring colors for the Moonman M2. I'm probably going to get one or two more when they come out, and a couple of spare nibs... EF just isn't my bag.

Sankis posted:

edit: is my understanding of Modern Conklin right? It used to be an old american fountain pen company that went under in the later 20th century, then the name got bought (By yafa?) and now it's used to put out cheap garbage?

Yup -- that's the long and short of it. With a different nib and feed in it my Duragraph is actually usable, but that's pretty much a different pen.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That sounds about right. From what I hear, the Duraflex nibs are real turds.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kessel posted:

That sounds about right. From what I hear, the Duraflex nibs are real turds.

I got to play with a couple of Pneider La Grande Bellezzas over the weekend when I visited Appointments. Pretty pens with a neat twist-off magnetic cap and soft 14K flex(ish) nibs. The 1.3mm stub was something else -- a very expressive writer. They didn't have the Honeycombs in yet, but I put my name down for one with the stub.

Of course the price differential between that and a Duraflex is large.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ended up with an unplanned layover at Washington National this morning, so I checked out the Pen and Prose store there, which at least online looked like a nice pen/stationary shop. Not sure what I expected, given that it's an airport, but it was mostly Vera Bradley bags and other random luxury-adjacent stuff. Three cases of pens with a few decent ones, but everything was a good 25% more than goulet's prices. I'm was looking to get a kaweko sport for my travels, but it did not pan out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what is the goon consensus on the Wing Sung 698 and 3008 pens? I love my clear demonstrator pens but I hate how my TWSBIs kept cracking and breaking under random strain.

Or is the Moonman M2 the new hotness now?

EDIT: I really loved my blue TWSBI Vav 700, are they still doing repairs?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 12, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Wingsun 698 was, in my opinion the first Chinese pen that could punch above its weight. Jinhao and Hero dominated the cheap pen market for a long time, but the whole idea of a (justifiably-good) $15 Chinese pen didn’t exist until the 698. I have 2 and they are both superb.

Now there are at least 10 different justifiable $15 dollar pens, with more (like the Moonman) coming every day.

It’ll be interesting to see how the first truly upmarket Chinese pen fares. Something that would compete with the Pilot Custom lines, or the high-end German pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Solkanar512 posted:

So what is the goon consensus on the Wing Sung 698 and 3008 pens? I love my clear demonstrator pens but I hate how my TWSBIs kept cracking and breaking under random strain.

Or is the Moonman M2 the new hotness now?

EDIT: I really loved my blue TWSBI Vav 700, are they still doing repairs?

At that price point some good options would be the Wing Sung 618, 698, Caliarts Ego, Wancai Mini or Moonman M2. For a couple of bucks more you could get a Wing Sung 601 or a PenBBS 323. All good pens.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Diplomas finished, only making one spelling mistake (a name was spelled in a very unusual way, I didn't check my list closely enough). It wasn't my best work due to my nerves, but my practice sheets tended to be a bit more flourishy, so I wasn't too upset.

I'll probably pick up a Lamy 1.9mm before next year and practice with it, it was sort of fun!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I bought a Moonman M2 because of this thread and I adore it. Its my first demonstrator and first eyedropper. Now I really get the appeal of both.

This is probably going to draw me into the world of Chinese pens now.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Sankis posted:

I bought a Moonman M2 because of this thread and I adore it. Its my first demonstrator and first eyedropper. Now I really get the appeal of both.

It is super awesome. I'm in the same exact boat and holy poo poo I'm going to buy another.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

grack posted:

At that price point some good options would be the Wing Sung 618, 698, Caliarts Ego, Wancai Mini or Moonman M2. For a couple of bucks more you could get a Wing Sung 601 or a PenBBS 323. All good pens.

What sub‐30 USD pens with integral filling mechanisms am I missing (i.e. not cartridge or eyedropper)?

TSBI Eco

Caliarts Ego

Wing Sung 698, 618, 601, 3008

Lanbitou 3059

PenBBS 309

Reform 1745

Various squeeze bladder pens from China

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 14, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sankis posted:

Thirding this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Platystemon posted:

What sub‐30 USD pens with integral filling mechanisms am I missing (i.e. not cartridge or eyedropper)?

TSBI Eco

Caliarts Ego

Wing Sung 698, 618, 601, 3008

Lanbitou 3059

PenBBS 309

Reform 1745

Various squeeze bladder pens from China

You can often find vintage German piston fillers for that price, like a Senator Windsor. There are also Indian pens (FPR, Click, Noodler's, Kanwrite, Camlin) to consider.

Of the pens you listed, the Reform, Eco and PenBBS are a clear step up from the rest. They use the best quality materials and generally the best nibs as well.

I've been, in general, very pleased with my PenBBS pens. I'm well in to the double digits and I've had only 1 pen that needed work on the nib.

grack fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 14, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note to anyone considering the Wing Sung 601:

In early production, a diaphragm was used. Then they switched to o-ring pistons that should be more robust.

As far as I can tell, only transparent models are available with the new construction at this time.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I received my Moonman M2, how do I swap the EF nib for the stub nib? It feels like I'm gonna break the nib if I were to use a lot of force.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

MohShuvuu posted:

I received my Moonman M2, how do I swap the EF nib for the stub nib? It feels like I'm gonna break the nib if I were to use a lot of force.

It's friction-fit; if you haven't pulled one before I'd look up a video or something. Goulet has a pretty good one. Basically, though, put the flat of your thumb on top of the nib, curl your index finger down underneath, put enough pressure on the nib to grip it but not too much, and pull it straight out. You can do it with ink in the pen but look out! It's easy to make a mess.

When you put it back in, hold the nib against the feed in the same way -- fins down, and there's a slight groove on top to show you where the nib should sit -- and push it back in. The Moonman has little grooves in the section that you'll have to fit the nib into, so if it's not going back in, rotate it a bit. You can also push the nib and feed around a bit after getting it back in to make sure they're lined up properly and that the nib didn't slide up on the feed and is in far enough.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Platystemon posted:

Note to anyone considering the Wing Sung 601:

In early production, a diaphragm was used. Then they switched to o-ring pistons that should be more robust.

As far as I can tell, only transparent models are available with the new construction at this time.

That last bit is no longer true; over the last month or so they've rolled out some additional colors with the new design. With and without ink windows (698-style), too, which is a nice option to have. Just check yo' eBay listings very very carefully (last I looked, there were only one or two sellers selling the new stock). I'm toting around a new olive green piston/plunger 601 right now! :krad:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 15, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The diaphragm version is being phased out in favour of the piston version as the latter is apparently much easier to produce.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Now that's a pretty nib

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I still can't seem to remove the nib and feed from the Moonman M2. No matter how hard I pull, even wrapping a rubber band around it for grip, it just doesn't seem to come out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

MohShuvuu posted:

I still can't seem to remove the nib and feed from the Moonman M2. No matter how hard I pull, even wrapping a rubber band around it for grip, it just doesn't seem to come out.

Soak it in hot water for 15 minutes. Works wonders.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alcohol and brute force also works well *nods sagely*

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
wouldn't both of those suggestions be bad for fountain pens? I've been told hot water can damage the feed, alcohol and brute force can also damage the pen.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I swapped mine with a piece of packing tape.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MohShuvuu posted:

wouldn't both of those suggestions be bad for fountain pens? I've been told hot water can damage the feed, alcohol and brute force can also damage the pen.

Hot water is fine for modern plastic feeds, generally. You do want to be careful with alcohol with some plastics because it can cause brittleness.

I think the alcohol was for the human

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I swapped mine with a piece of packing tape.

This is a good suggestion. I also like using those rubber jar opener pads to get a good grip.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I use spark plug pliers for stubborn feeds. They're rounded and rubberized.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

Hot water won't do anything to plastic feeds. My suggestion was a joke.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I think by alcohol he meant you would be drinking the alcohol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My PenBBS collection is slowly but surely creeping up on my Delta collection.

Gonna have to get another couple of Deltas

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What are some good, blue-black inks? Water resistance is a plus, but not necessarily a must have.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Moral_Hazard posted:

What are some good, blue-black inks? Water resistance is a plus, but not necessarily a must have.

Here's a big (and maybe unhelpful) list of blue "off black" bottled ink from JetPens. I'd go with sailor sei-boku myself (and I like the looks of the new Sailor bottles), or maybe Iroshizuku shin-kai. But blue blacks aren't really my jam.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 19, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Blue-blacks are my jam. Iroshizuku Fuyu-shogun is my goto. Sailor’s new Souboku is very good. If you want to hunt down hard to find inks, my current favourite blue black is Fuyu no Onkata from Kingdom Note in Tokyo.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

My PenBBS collection is slowly but surely creeping up on my Delta collection.

Gonna have to get another couple of Deltas

Those PenBBS pens are great, where is the easiest place to buy them, eBay?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Solkanar512 posted:

Those PenBBS pens are great, where is the easiest place to buy them, eBay?

They have an Etsy shop.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

They also have an eBay shop, but different items seem to go up on each.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Shin-Kai for looks and color and Bad Belted Kingfisher for more permanent writing. I use BBK in an eyedropper Preppy for my work pen.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moral_Hazard posted:

Sei Boku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for the blue-black suggestions

Kessel posted:

Blue-blacks are my jam. Iroshizuku Fuyu-shogun is my goto. Sailor’s new Souboku is very good. If you want to hunt down hard to find inks, my current favourite blue black is Fuyu no Onkata from Kingdom Note in Tokyo.

Is there a US retailer that sells Souboku? I've been having no luck finding one, even on ebay. That shade looks perfect.

Also, is this Fuyu no Onkata? https://www.kingdomnote.com/item/2717003239532 I can't read Kanji at all.

Partially fake edit:

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 19, 2018