Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

IPCRESS posted:

My question is: What the heck is wrong with your payload rating system, or is the US ranger not the same as the world ranger?

Possibly the world gets a different model since small truck poo poo is super hosed up in the US. The truck in the video is, I believe, a 2nd or 3rd gen North American market Ranger (made until 2012 or so) which has, at best, a 1200ish pound payload capacity as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

In my house growing up, touching ANY metal part of the fridge at the same time you were touching ANY metal part of the stove would give you a shock.

Guess what my parents' solution was:

A. Call an electrician to fix the problem
or
B. Laugh heartily and/or yell at us when we forgot and touched both

I think you all know the answer to this one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CollegeCop posted:

In my house growing up, touching ANY metal part of the fridge at the same time you were touching ANY metal part of the stove would give you a shock.

Guess what my parents' solution was:

A. Call an electrician to fix the problem
or
B. Laugh heartily and/or yell at us when we forgot and touched both

I think you all know the answer to this one.

He fixes the cable?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

quite stretched out posted:

whats your take on radar though
how much should I tip my autopilot and how does it like its steak

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Nth Doctor posted:

He fixes the cable?

Here's a hint - No electrician ever came to our house.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

CollegeCop posted:

Here's a hint - No electrician ever came to our house.

An electrician's involvement wasn't implied in Nth Doctor's post though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

boner confessor posted:

it's gonna own that the dipshits at tesla and uber are going to set self driving cars back 5-10 years by rushing to market and getting people killed, creating the reputation that the technology isn't mature enough to be safe because it isn't, and something needs to penetrate the shell of early adopters who think all social problems can be solved with the adaptation of technology

or in more direct terms, this is going to get wealthy nerds killed and that's a good thing. shame about the decent folk who will be hit by wealthy nerds and their shoddy future cars

Ignoring the safety record because lol at getting into that argument, the sheer pent up demand for self driving cars has reached critical mass at this point that barring the government stepping in and stopping it, it's gonna happen.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azathoth posted:

Ignoring the safety record because lol at getting into that argument, the sheer pent up demand for self driving cars has reached critical mass at this point that barring the government stepping in and stopping it, it's gonna happen.

there's not a ton of demand for self driving cars

i mean, there is some from people who eagerly try to fill the void in their souls with new consumer technology, and those people serve a useful function by funding and being killed by immature technology to see if it is worth mass adoption. but imo more people are wary of self driving cars, they would use them if they were guaranteed not to kill you and since there are four fatalities and counting from a technology still firmly in the testing stage...

besides, the average age of a car on the road in the united states is over ten years. assuming self driving cars came out tomorrow and only self driving cars were sold from tomorrow onward it would take over a decade for them to be half the cars on the road

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

IPCRESS posted:

Australian Ranger is 1500kg payload & 3500kg towing (for the work truck version, should've-bought-a-wagon versions are lower).

That's 1.65/3.85 short tons, which I think will mean something to Americans; if you work in NatGeo units, then the weight of the average midwestern family and 1/20th of a jumbo jet, respectively.

My question is: What the heck is wrong with your payload rating system, or is the US ranger not the same as the world ranger?

e: Maybe he's got a forklift and will use a sling to get the rock out at his destination? He doesn't and he won't, but I kinda wish we could get a second video out of this as he gets his whole family to stand on the counterweight and get catapulted when the fork truck goes arse-over-teakettle.

e2: This isn't AI.

It's best to think of the Ford Ranger as more of a hatchback or wagon than a truck. Their target market is people who need to haul their toys around but who don't use it for actual work. Like, I live in a rural area where any given parking lot is going to have plenty of pickups because farmers and I legit thought that they stopped making Rangers because I haven't seen one in years.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
aside from having a decent chance of killing you, the other big thing that's going to hold back self driving cars is when people buy the system and say "wait, i still have to sit here and pay attention to the road? gently caress this, i'll just drive then"

we'll see how things shake out in the insurance market, especially if owning a first gen self driving car means you have to have a camera installed to watch your face to ensure that you were paying attention to the road

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

boner confessor posted:

i mean, there is some from people who eagerly try to fill the void in their souls with new consumer technology, and those people serve a useful function by funding and being killed by immature technology to see if it is worth mass adoption. but imo more people are wary of self driving cars, they would use them if they were guaranteed not to kill you and since there are four fatalities and counting from a technology still firmly in the testing stage...

besides, the average age of a car on the road in the united states is over ten years. assuming self driving cars came out tomorrow and only self driving cars were sold from tomorrow onward it would take over a decade for them to be half the cars on the road
I didn't mean a demand from the great unwashed masses, but from that specific set of people who need to have the latest, greatest toy to show off.

If Tesla doesn't roll it out, some other manufacturer will, and any company operating in that space is champing at the bit to have the first fully self driving car because there's a ton of money waiting to be had to whoever puts it on the road.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Tesla, a company known for not making deadlines, and under extreme public scrutiny and a funding shortage is promising full automation in < 6 mos? I for sure see this happening and being well implemented when it does.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

A rock that size would be what, three - four tonnes? How much is a pickup truck expected to be able to handle?

That truck is rated to carry 500 stone in its bed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Azathoth posted:

It's best to think of the Ford Ranger as more of a hatchback or wagon than a truck. Their target market is people who need to haul their toys around but who don't use it for actual work. Like, I live in a rural area where any given parking lot is going to have plenty of pickups because farmers and I legit thought that they stopped making Rangers because I haven't seen one in years.

They did stop making them. There was like a ten year gap where the Ranger wasn't sold in the USA, and the new version is nearly the size of an F-150.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think "a hatchback" is a really fair description, it's a proper body-on-frame, rear wheel drive, live axle truck that is just smaller than the modern F-series monstrosities. And it's completely different than the rest of the world Ranger, which is quite a bit larger than the largest US Ranger.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That truck is rated to carry 500 stone in its bed.

Oh, so it's fine and they can just load another 499 of them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azathoth posted:

I didn't mean a demand from the great unwashed masses, but from that specific set of people who need to have the latest, greatest toy to show off.

If Tesla doesn't roll it out, some other manufacturer will, and any company operating in that space is champing at the bit to have the first fully self driving car because there's a ton of money waiting to be had to whoever puts it on the road.

there's a ton of money to be had for whoever puts it on the road safely. elon musk getting a bunch of his customers killed could be the final straw that gets the board to boot him from tesla, a company which is not in good shape right now. remember that during his last earnings call he refused to answer boring questions like "why can't you hit your production targets" and "why are you not following industry standard safety regulations"

like it's no big shock that the two thirstiest companies in the game, tesla and uber, are the only two companies making big promises and stacking bodies, while waymo and the big car manufacturers keep chugging along quietly with their projects

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
American Rangers were basically Honda Civics with truck beds instead of a back seat. Every one of my friends in highschool had one because they were like the cheapest thing you can buy. They were tiny and had like 120hp 4 cylinder engines.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

The actual purpose of self-driving cars for me would be if you could just call them like a taxi service, but cheaper, as you don't need to pay (or interact with) a human driver. Owning a self-driving car seems kind of missing the point to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1ojQPvp_E

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

ekuNNN posted:

The actual purpose of self-driving cars for me would be if you could just call them like a taxi service, but cheaper, as you don't need to pay (or interact with) a human driver. Owning a self-driving car seems kind of missing the point to me.

I'm a bad driver and am going to kill someone one day. Please give me a self driving car.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ekuNNN posted:

If self driving cars were reliable you could do things like set out at 11pm, go to sleep, and wake up at your destination. That's a lot of loving faith in technology though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ekuNNN posted:

this is decades away though, there is going to be a loooong time between when first gen self driving cars (requiring a backup driver) hit the market and when self driving cars are good enough to require human intervention so rarely that they could reliably navigate completely autonomously

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want a self driving tank

that way, if the A.I decided to go hog wild, everyone else would be sorry but not me

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm a bad driver and am going to kill someone one day. Please give me a self driving car.

I'm just lazy.

Gimme a car where I can go to sleep while it transports me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
OSHA: Heavy emphasis on light truck specifications

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

boner confessor posted:

this is decades away though, there is going to be a loooong time between when first gen self driving cars (requiring a backup driver) hit the market and when self driving cars are good enough to require human intervention so rarely that they could reliably navigate completely autonomously

Decades? I say not In the lifetime of your average poster here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wdarkk posted:

If self driving cars were reliable you could do things like set out at 11pm, go to sleep, and wake up at your destination. That's a lot of loving faith in technology though.

I'm thinking more like, take me to work, then go back to home, take wife to work, go back, take kids to school, go home to load batteries, then go to supermarket to pick groceries that I ordered, then come fetch me from work.

Also drive along the highway while I concentrate on mooning to other drivers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

Decades? I say not In the lifetime of your average poster here.

given the lifestyle and habits of the average goon i stand by my statement

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lmao speaking of tesla not doing well they're cutting 9% of their employees

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1006597562156003328

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

I'm just lazy.

That would be self-driving level 4 which no one is anywhere near delivering and only the most starry-eyed tech fetishists will say otherwise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

The actual driving is only a part of what the cab driver does. Also you'll be lucky to l4 self-driving in your lifetime.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

That would be self-driving level 4 which no one is anywhere near delivering and only the most starry-eyed tech fetishists will say otherwise.

Just for the record since this always ends up in some kind of argument about terminology:

Level 0 is entirely manual driving

Level 1 is speed holding cruise control like we've had since the 1940s

Level 2 is adaptive cruise control, automated braking, and lane-keeping, allowing the car to drive itself down the road for limited periods of time, but the driver has to be ready to take over at any instant with no warning (this is what you get with any high-end car you buy today, including Teslas)

Level 3 is the same functionality as level 2, but for longer periods of time. the car must be able to handle the transition from automated to manual control in an emergency as the driver gets refocused on what's happening. Because this essentially means that the car has to be able to handle an emergency on its own, most manufacturers are ignoring level 3 until level 4 is possible. Tesla claims their cars are already at level 3, but they're lying.

Level 4 means the car can drive itself entirely on its own, with no driver input, in some specified envelope. For instance a car that can handle the entire freeway driving task, including emergencies and merging on and off and transitioning to human control on the human's terms, would be considered level 4. You could go to sleep on the freeway in a level 4 car and it should be able to get you to your destination exit and pull over and stop to let you handle the city portion of the driving.

Level 5 is a car that can do everything a human being can do in any situation, including handling city streets with flagmen and traffic cops and temporary detours, whiteout snow conditions, parking on the grass at a campsite, and so on. In other words, what most people think of when they imagine a self-driving car.

We have level 2 now. Level 3 is probably five to ten years off depending on what people decide is a reasonable amount of emergency handling for that mode. Level 4 is unlikely to happen for a couple of decades at least. Level 5 requires hard AI.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

this is why you dont use liedar

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
No buy all the lidar

i need my holiday bonus

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evil_bunnY posted:

The actual driving is only a part of what the cab driver does.

talking about right-wing politics is something we can probably convincingly program through machine-learning soon though

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

having to watch the road and be ready to take over from the car at any second in order to avert disaster the AI can't handle actually sounds more demanding/stressful than totally manual driving. like having a player 2 controller and control shifting over to you at some random point.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

talking about right-wing politics is something we can probably convincingly program through machine-learning soon though

Or vent part of the carbon monoxide into the cab, you get almost the same effect as long as it's under 20 minutes of exposure :shrug:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ekuNNN posted:

Microsoft already did this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Renegret posted:

I'm just lazy.

Idk might as well wait for some kinda teleporter that kills you and makes a dumb clone do your job on the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nenonen posted:

I'm thinking more like, take me to work, then go back to home, take wife to work, go back, take kids to school, go home to load batteries, then go to supermarket to pick groceries that I ordered, then come fetch me from work.

Also drive along the highway while I concentrate on mooning to other drivers.

Sooo, you want a servant? But in car form so you don't have to deal with the social awkwardness of having a servant?

Beep beep! I'm a car!