Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh I see, the pubg hate is an old man nerd thing

it's all coming together now, gen x nerds are the worst nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Outside of workplace abuse, which admittedly is a serious thing, it's ridiculous that people took Kojima's side over Konami during the "controversial" breakup around Metal Gear Solid V. Kojina takes years and nearly 100 million dollars to work on the game, only for it to be half finished.

Konami, understandably, puts their foot down and Kojima a firm deadline. This results in the game still not even being close to finished and delayed. By the time the game is released, it doesn't even have an ending, with the closest thing being an extra with completely unfinished cutscenes and storyboard panels.

I'm not say the falling out was completely in Konami's favor, but they certainly had their reasons.

The workplace abuse and canceling the Silent Hill game with Guillermo del Toro really tilted the scales in Kojima's favor.

The thing is, most people who play games probably don't give a poo poo how they're made. They see Kojima as an auteur who makes really unique and weird games and should be allowed to do his thing, and then Konami is the villain who rips that away from us.

I'm certain Kojima is a nightmare to supervise but that's not really the part we see.

DogonCrook posted:

I dont really know anything about this guy or his games but he sounds like a loving child everytime i hear about him i wouldnt push a loving broom alongside this dude so yeah lol.

He's an auteur creator working at a level in the industry where that doesn't really work. If he was making games on a smaller scale, even if it's with a team with the size/budget of Supergiant Games, I don't think anyone would have a problem with him--he'd be the nerdy guy having fun making weird games and not ruffling too many feathers in the process. He's not a Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish going around poo poo-talking other creators, for example. He's just super excited to do what he does.

But he gets to work with huge teams and huge budgets, which means he has corporate overhead, and his auteur tendencies mean that he's probably not a great steward of a game budget.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Complaining about battle royale games is the new complaining about "CoD babies." These days people don't really care as much about CoD so it's not as useful a scapegoat.

Same complaining, different games

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hawowanlawow posted:

We hate ourselves so much more than anything you could post, don’t worry about it

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
The Division was a clown show at launch, but every time it gets brought up someone jumps in to mention how they fixed everything and it's a really good game now. I played it for the first time recently and still found it boring and lovely. I feel like they combined the worst parts of loot-grind RPGs and serious military shoot-mans.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I will never not associate The Division with fake voice acted teamspeak and boy did The Division I reup on that poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

The Division was a clown show at launch, but every time it gets brought up someone jumps in to mention how they fixed everything and it's a really good game now. I played it for the first time recently and still found it boring and lovely.

One of the least surprising things I've ever heard.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"Hey guys I'm riding the bus, just thought I'd check in with the drone on mobile. I'm tagging some targets for you."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChazTurbo posted:

I genuinely dig the concept but the two current big ones (pub and fort) feel and play like rear end. I don't know about all the new ones coming out but if they can make one that doesn't control like poo poo and has decent gunplay then I'm sold.

Agreed. That's why I'm kind of excited about the new COD and Battlefield while everyone is making GBS threads on them for adding BR. I want to try the concept in some games that aren't shoddy.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I bring quality options for fellow self-loathing gen-xers

Quake champions is pretty much a re-skinned loot crate economy version of quake 3. I suck at it because I'm old now but it is a good game, as long as new age matchmaking doesn't piss you off.
Overload just released version 1.0, otherwise known as descent 4. This game is great. It's got a nice campaign, infinite baddie steam leaderboard challenge mode and multiplayer.

Overload is probably my favorite game since DO4M.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

The scale is bad for getting a lot of fights in a short amount of time. You'll have a lot of games where you spend the first 10 minutes loving around getting looted up. The arcade mode where it's a small area with 30 people is actually decently fun because it cuts out the vehicles and running 50 miles bullshit.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013
Fight Night Round 3 is the only game ever made that is worth playing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I didn't realize Fortnite is as popular as it is until I started reading about Russians using it to run account scams using stolen info from other sites because the site security is so lovely.

It doesn't seem like anyone was prepared for the incredibly obvious appeal and popularity of doing Battle Royale/Hunger Games but for real. Maybe everyone else thought it was too tasteless to make a Hunger Games... game until someone went and did it anyway.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 13, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

steinrokkan posted:

THe future of gaming is people buying discounted games they'll never play on the internet instead of playing games.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

heffsay posted:

Fight Night in general was loving amazing and it's a drat shame the people responsible now just do terrible games where 90% of the fight involves hugging each other

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I absolutely do not watch WWF style poo poo but I have to admit I have had a blast with those games just for the stupid character customization. Once at work we had the entire the entire team put into the game with stats voted by the rest of the team, meaning the one 6'5 marine in the group's virtual copy basically went around beating us like he wanted our lunch money, but it was great.

Are there any tolerable ones for button mashing stupidity that have good character editors these days?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed. That's why I'm kind of excited about the new COD and Battlefield while everyone is making GBS threads on them for adding BR. I want to try the concept in some games that aren't shoddy.

The only reason I can't get excited for the new Battlefield it's EA and lately EA has done nothing but gently caress it's customers in the rear end.

ED: Their assholery is so good it actually is hitting their bottom line hard as most investment recommendations suggest like, all of the big publishers EXCEPT EA because they 'lost customer confidence.' Well said, stock guys.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

heffsay posted:

Every time I try to play Champion I just end up going back to Round 3. I prefer actually telling my guy what to do.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Every time I try to play Champion I just end up going back to Round 3. I prefer actually telling my guy what to do.

4 was probably my favourite because you could still have the good controls of 3 but it had better graphics and you could create your own dudes using the camera

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Quote-Unquote posted:

4 was probably my favourite because you could still have the good controls of 3 but it had better graphics and you could create your own dudes using the camera

If I wanted to see me getting beat by half nekkid burly dudes I'd leave my basement.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only reason I can't get excited for the new Battlefield it's EA and lately EA has done nothing but gently caress it's customers in the rear end.

ED: Their assholery is so good it actually is hitting their bottom line hard as most investment recommendations suggest like, all of the big publishers EXCEPT EA because they 'lost customer confidence.' Well said, stock guys.

On the other hand, they’ve said no microtransactions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Ms. Pac Man is a dervative sequel

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ikanreed posted:

and she gave me herpes!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Spec Ops: The Line is a mediocre shooter with a twist that only works on very dumb people.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ikanreed posted:

on the other hand. championship edition dx+ (or whatever it's called) is arcade magic.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is a mediocre shooter with a twist that only works on very dumb people.

An opinion both unpopular and very wrong.

To this day I've never seen a game where your main character so subtly falls apart over it. I think my favorite thing in the game is how you begin looking all clean & crisp and when you target people you scream stuff like "Hostile, 6 O'Clock!" or "Tango down," but by the end you look like a bloody wreck and the targeting messages have changed to "KILL THAT FUCKER OVER THERE!" style dialogue.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChazTurbo posted:

on the other hand. championship edition dx+ (or whatever it's called) is arcade magic.

I have no idea what you're talking about but now I'm picturing a world where Pac-Man has similar sub-sequels to Street Fighter

Ms. Pac-Man Ultra Champion Turbo Edition

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Apparently For Honor is free to download on uplay right now

My unpopular opinion is that it was a very good game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

An opinion both unpopular and very wrong.

To this day I've never seen a game where your main character so subtly falls apart over it. I think my favorite thing in the game is how you begin looking all clean & crisp and when you target people you scream stuff like "Hostile, 6 O'Clock!" or "Tango down," but by the end you look like a bloody wreck and the targeting messages have changed to "KILL THAT FUCKER OVER THERE!" style dialogue.

You don't scream any of that. Some onscreen puppet does. You have no agency regarding what he barks when you press the Shoot Button, nor do you have any when it comes to whether or not you commit the game's violence. The game is trying to blow your mind by calling out things "you" did but really the game did it. There isn't a Surrender Button, or a Go Home Button. The twist is just dumb edgelord bullshit designed to impress dumb people.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 13, 2018

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Champions was the poo poo because you all you need is a head on and profile shot and you can upload anybody so like carl winslow can beat the poo poo out of gw bush with a dumb grin on his face. It was very good. On of my favorite was will ferrell as bush vs real bush will Ferrell would stomp the poo poo out of most boxers his stats were pretty good because of his size.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ikanreed posted:

The best was Baby Pac Man - it was an arcade game that had a built-in mini pinball machine. Not really for playing, but just for its mere presence.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

TheScott2K posted:

You don't scream any of that. Some onscreen puppet does. You have no agency regarding what he barks when you press the Shoot Button, nor do you have any when it comes to whether or not you commit the game's violence. The game is trying to blow your mind by calling out things "you" did but really the game did it. There isn't a Surrender Button, or a Go Home Button. The twist is just dumb edgelord bullshit designed to impress dumb people.

It's the power button

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

fruit on the bottom posted:

On the other hand, they’ve said no microtransactions.

Would you like to buy a bridge?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TheScott2K posted:

Greetings everyone, the brain genius here, checking in to let you know video game characters aren't real people. Brain genius away!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

translation: nyeeeehhh!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Away all Goats posted:

Would you like to buy a bridge?

Only with virtual currency :smuggo:

signalnoise