Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

now it's coming out that his injury at the tail end of the voluntary practices was actually just him sitting out. he hasn't talked up a storm like bell so who knows if he wants to take the top off the pay scale or just get paid a little more fairly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah he wasn't really expected to be nearly so good and also was expected to sit behind a couple other guys for a while, but Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both went down pretty early in his first season. He was a third rounder so not an awful contract but nothing near RB1 money. He's already been hurt badly and also that he's expected to shoulder a huge burden of carries this season; he could very well be ruined before he even gets his first real contract. So this is a smart move for him imo. If the team is going to ride you hard then they need to pay you accordingly

Play fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 12, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Get paid, DJ.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Trade DJ to the Rams

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

Trade DJ to the Rams

You have the best ideas

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
i like how the video of luck is from a distance, at a lovely angle, from behind

we need a panel of cryptozoologists to determine its authenticity

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chase Daniel has a ten million dollar contract.

It's criminal what teams do to running backs. Who helps their team more, Chase Daniel or David loving Beast rear end Johnson

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the NFL contract system mega-fucks running backs because they have the shortest careers.

If you declare at 22 you'll be 26 or 27 at the end of your rookie deal, then can be franchise for two years at a cost controlled rate because every other RB is also going through this, so the franchise tag is pretty cheap. At which point they'll be 28 or 29 which is already in the middle of the downslope of RB's effectiveness.

Like here's the # of RB's that put up a 1000 rushing yards / 4.0 carry since the merger. (Which isn't exactly some crazy high bar)

Age - #
23 - 51
24 - 66
25 - 69
26 - 72
27 - 49
28 - 45
29 - 24
30 - 18
31 - 11
32 - 4
33+ - 0

As a side note, the Seahawks should probably extend Earl Thomas on the other hand, as all time great safeties have had this uncanny knack for staying healthy into their mid 30's that most defensive guys don't.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rookie contracts are too long.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

SKULL.GIF posted:

hot take: make rookie contracts literally one year

it's the least they can do since these guys don't get to pick their employer

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Imagine how insane draft day trades would be lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

No argument here. I'd like them to compromise down to 3 years, and change restricted free agency rules to get rid of the 1st round tag (that's what the franchise tag should be), and upping the contract values.

I think teams would see a lot more free agency poaching / trades if the most you could claw back from a RFA was a 2nd round pick, and make free agency a pretty nuts time in general with how many good players would be available.

Also I'd love to see the franchise tag changed so the player had a choice in the matter. Make it so they can pick a 1 / 3 / 5 year contract at de-escalating salary levels. The franchise tag is supposed to be a team declaring a player a franchise player... if he is that then he should be able to choose to have a 5 year contract right?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Raku posted:

hot take: make rookie contracts literally one year

it's the least they can do since these guys don't get to pick their employer
wouldn't that screw over a huge number of rookies instead of helping them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A huge part of why veterans have a hard time getting paid nowadays unless they're elite is exactly because of how long and cheap rookie contracts are, and this problem is most obvious and most severe at the RB position

I would set rookie contracts to 2 years for rounds 3-7 and 3 years for rounds 1-2.

Kalli posted:

No argument here. I'd like them to compromise down to 3 years, and change restricted free agency rules to get rid of the 1st round tag (that's what the franchise tag should be), and upping the contract values.

I think teams would see a lot more free agency poaching / trades if the most you could claw back from a RFA was a 2nd round pick, and make free agency a pretty nuts time in general with how many good players would be available.

Also I'd love to see the franchise tag changed so the player had a choice in the matter. Make it so they can pick a 1 / 3 / 5 year contract at de-escalating salary levels. The franchise tag is supposed to be a team declaring a player a franchise player... if he is that then he should be able to choose to have a 5 year contract right?

This also works, and I like that option for changing the franchise tag.

When is the next CBA negotiation?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

A huge part of why veterans have a hard time getting paid nowadays unless they're elite is exactly because of how long and cheap rookie contracts are, and this problem is most obvious and most severe at the RB position

I would set rookie contracts to 2 years for rounds 3-7 and 3 years for rounds 1-2.

This also works, and I like that option for changing the franchise tag.

When is the next CBA negotiation?

After the 2020 season, and it's probably gonna be really ugly.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
3-4 years is too long from a "what rookies get paid" standpoint but about right from a "figure out if this player will be valuable" standpoint (many positions take a year or two to develop). Raise the rookie pay scale and put in built-in escalators based on play time, awards, and pro bowl appearances in the rookie contract structure to ensure that strong play is rewarded without having to negotiate for a larger deal.

Kalli posted:

After the 2020 season, and it's probably gonna be really ugly.

lol if you think the players aren't just gonna get hosed over even harder again

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Andrew Luck (shoulder) was throwing a high school ball in Tuesday's minicamp session.

Luck also said afterward he has thrown "The Duke," which is what he calls a real NFL football. He's apparently been throwing for two weeks. The size difference between an NFL and high school ball is minimal — it's mostly about weight — but it's still not quite what we needed to hear. Even with the high school ball, Luck was not uncorking screamers. Despite all that, owner Jim Irsay pledged afterward that Luck would have no "limitations" for training camp. Right now, that sounds more like a hope than a guarantee. Luck is making progress but has a long way to go.

Luck was actually throwing a nerf vortex whistler

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

wyoak posted:

wouldn't that screw over a huge number of rookies instead of helping them

How so?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

most rookies take time to develop and/or don't pan out, so you'd be screwing the majority of players who don't go on to be stars and get large second deals who right now get multiyear guaranteed contracts.

I see the angle of "rookies who overplay their contracts get screwed" but they are a small percentage compared to "rookies who underplay their contracts or get hurt and still get paid."

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my simmering take is that i'd massively increase the performance pool. like half the cap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

3-4 years is too long from a "what rookies get paid" standpoint but about right from a "figure out if this player will be valuable" standpoint (many positions take a year or two to develop). Raise the rookie pay scale and put in built-in escalators based on play time, awards, and pro bowl appearances in the rookie contract structure to ensure that strong play is rewarded without having to negotiate for a larger deal.

Even if they were compensated fairly for their play, long rookie contracts still screw the mid-tier veterans who are (or would be) valuable mortar for a team since it's still a better idea to go for a rookie contract. If he doesn't play well then you pay him pennies, if he plays well then you have him locked down for half a decade, whereas a vet from FA will want both, not just one or the other.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The problem isn't directly rookies who overplay their contract (though that is a factor), it's that loading up on cheap contracts and hoping one of them breaks out is a much safer and cheaper move than picking up veterans from FA.

Look at what the Packers did in 2017 with their running backs and what they're doing in 2018 with their wide receivers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hifi posted:

my simmering take is that i'd massively increase the performance pool. like half the cap

That would be cool, but it's funny to think of the unintended consequences.

Like players getting insanely pissed about being subbed out or being an injury scratch / inactive.

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol if you think the players aren't just gonna get hosed over even harder again

Oh they probably will, but it'll be a long bitter fight regardless.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even if they were compensated fairly for their play, long rookie contracts still screw the mid-tier veterans who are (or would be) valuable mortar for a team since it's still a better idea to go for a rookie contract. If he doesn't play well then you pay him pennies, if he plays well then you have him locked down for half a decade, whereas a vet from FA will want both, not just one or the other.

Yeah, I see that. Though it depends on the veteran--they have the advantage of being very contract-flexible, with more escalators, signing bonus options, the ability to sign for one or two years or be franchised if they turn out to be really good. I think we're going to start seeing teams that see value in those mid-tier free agents, especially as the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of draft picks. The Steelers signing Joe Haden last year comes to mind as an example of this.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

veterans also have the advantage of all the money they made before they were veterans.

i'm really on the fence about who's getting screwed with the current contract situation, but with a guy like david johnson it's really apparent that if he gets forced into betting on himself with a bridge deal that's also got a prove it salary level then he is completely hosed if he gets hurt and GMs think he has the "easily injured" skill.

e: whoops, pressed submit accidentally.

my last thought is, is ~69k a completely valid amount of money to pay for purely the potential as the last pick in the draft? sure NCAA players deserve to be paid but right now that's your only guaranteed reward for being good enough to be drafted. I think all draft contracts should be fully guaranteed based on that.

hifi fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 12, 2018

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

womp womp

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1006638014469111808

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1006637449425154053

lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
2nd round pick, ditched by 2 teams before taking a snap lol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Please go to Miami, please please please

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Best of luck to Hack in the XFL

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

piss tape israel posted:

Best of luck to Hack in the AFFL

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just trying to picture Gruden and his offensive staff watching Hack throw.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
poo poo. We apparently don't get the 7 now...

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Kalli posted:

I'm just trying to picture Gruden and his offensive staff watching Hack throw.

he definitely threw a job straight into gruden's face, otherwise karma isn't real

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

The problem isn't directly rookies who overplay their contract (though that is a factor), it's that loading up on cheap contracts and hoping one of them breaks out is a much safer and cheaper move than picking up veterans from FA.

Look at what the Packers did in 2017 with their running backs and what they're doing in 2018 with their wide receivers.

Sammy Watkins and Tyreek Hill are both 24 years old.

Tyreek has outscored Sammy both his years at least fantasy-wise to give an indication of value.

Sammy's contract is 48 million

Tyreek's is 2.5 million

The draft slot rookie contracts are insane. The logic is, under-perform and get traded but be a former first round pick with ability I guess.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nooooooo

He must take the field

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh yeah, they should also just get rid of the compensation pick system and just add an 8th round of the draft.

It's a system that doesn't address what it was designed for an just gives teams like the Patriots / Ravens a billion extra mid round draft picks.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Can't whack the Hack if he never see's the field

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Make 1st round contracts 3 years with a team option and make every round below that 2 years only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nooooooo

He must take the field

I want to see it so goddamn bad.

• Locked thread