Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

It's probably because bad dems are such lazy corrupt shitheads who unironically believe things like "Demographic dynasty"

Imagine a organize filled top to bottom with CC-like lanyard clones and you'll not be surprised by the dismal long term results.

I remember when I use to force myself to believe all those lines. I remember actually in 2014, asking to the baddems why there wasn't a concentrated effort to take as many attorney general's offices as possible as that could go along way to helping people as a whole, and they basically said that would happen in tn years. Because right now the demos were not right. Like I was pretty lib still at that time, but the demographic argument didn't make sense. It assumed that people just based on their color of their skin were naturally suppose to have these views, even though just forty years before views had been different. Also I brought up voter participation, and was told that people just naturally didn't care to vote. All of this didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have the tools yet to express my frusturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

It was "What is the biggest military threat to America" and he said ISIS (which is correct because they are the only ones who we are actually at war against and thus have a motive right now to attack the US whereas any country would be instanuked if they did (at least attacking directly and not by eg funding ISIS)) and they were like no that isn't in the rules you have to pick one of North Korea, Russia, or Iran
when asked what was the greatest national security threat to the US, sanders said climate change

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Alright, I'm gonna be real awful but how about : top tax bracket of 3x what the average income in the country is and 99% tax rate in that bracket. Fund a full wellfare state

Owners can still go crazy for their high score and the underlying rules are basically capitalist, but you end up with a de facto limit on your ability to accumulate wealth and turn that into income such that workers can't be left behind.

Not proposing that as a good system just articulating a hypothetical framing where systemic controls can limit systemic problems.

we’ve already had a political period where rich incomes were heavily taxed, and it was steadily undone over the course of decades by both political parties.

Japan even has salary caps, but it hasn’t made them any less capitalistic and dystopic, because instead of individuals controlling all that capital it’s controlled through firms.

it’s not even necessarily that people can become rich which is the problem, it’s the profit motive behind the commodity logic of production.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Alright, I'm gonna be real awful but how about : top tax bracket of 3x what the average income in the country is and 99% tax rate in that bracket. Fund a full wellfare state

Owners can still go crazy for their high score and the underlying rules are basically capitalist, but you end up with a de facto limit on your ability to accumulate wealth and turn that into income such that workers can't be left behind.

Not proposing that as a good system just articulating a hypothetical framing where systemic controls can limit systemic problems.
this was already tried. it was called the new deal

the top marginal tax rate during the new deal was like 94%. this was a compromise from FDR's proposal of a top marginal tax rate of 100%.

think about why the new deal was obliterated. those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

let me propose a better system to you than capitalism: the workers themselves should democratically own the businesses they work in

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

article was not the entire text of all three volumes of Kapital, 0/10

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you may also have not heard the following idea before:

markets are actually a horrible way to organize production and meet the needs of people in a society

you might notice this in such nightmares as the american healthcare system or the mass homelessness problems

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

I remember when I use to force myself to believe all those lines. I remember actually in 2014, asking to the baddems why there wasn't a concentrated effort to take as many attorney general's offices as possible as that could go along way to helping people as a whole, and they basically said that would happen in tn years. Because right now the demos were not right. Like I was pretty lib still at that time, but the demographic argument didn't make sense. It assumed that people just based on their color of their skin were naturally suppose to have these views, even though just forty years before views had been different. Also I brought up voter participation, and was told that people just naturally didn't care to vote. All of this didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have the tools yet to express my frusturation.

Also demographics aren't reliably solid voting blocks.

Trump got a shocking amount of the Hispanic vote, because not all Hispanic people are a hivemind, in fact, many are conservative.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nobody cares but friedersdorf sticks in my craw. he's my nemesis.

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1006620385616515073

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WampaLord posted:

I love that the centrist/leftist debate literally broke that thread

lol what happened, I fully abandoned d&d after my last probe

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the largest damning indictment of the "efficiency" of our economic system:

we have giant masses unemployed or underemployed, giant unfulfilled needs, all the resources and tools to address these needs, and yet our system cannot put the pieces together to solve our problems

you might also remember during the financial crisis, we had 5 million american families that were kicked out of homes and 5 million vacant homes. please don't kid yourself that this is ideal or efficient.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Basically anytime the Dems do something indefensible someone will ask "Wow, this seems really bad and lovely, why should I be happy about the Dems doing this?" and the thread regulars get all mad that someone dare criticize their political team and shout that person down, then go back to waiting for the Tweetstorm post and making bad jokes about Trump being bad.

It's basically centrism_txt the thread at this point, but a few leftists still try to fight the good fight.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
markets and capitalism are literally destroying the planet and will lead to an at least near extinction level climate catastrophe(s) in our lifetimes
the cause of this is how markets operate, it's it's 5 cents per item cheaper to ship a part from Hong Kong to California, a company will. If it's more profitable to create a disposable item or one that will stop functioning after a set period of time the market will produce it. The motivations of the market are driven by profit, and even if you incentivize caring about carbon or the environment the motivations of the market will just become extracting the most profit within that framework, similar to how companies use actuaries to determine if the legal costs of a potential lethal defect in their product outweighs the profit lost in recalling it, or how banks and energy companies intentionally violate rules/regulations if the profit/price outweighs the cost of the fine/punishment

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I posted this at that "pastor" (Probably got her "degree" at a correspondence bible "college".) Got blocked. :lol:

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jun 12, 2018

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I said I couldn't vote for Tim Kaine because he backstabbed fellow Democrats to deregulate banks less than a decade after my parents lost their house and savings during the Great Recession. Shitdems spent several pages calling me a fascist.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

people started defending Tim Kaine and all hell broke loose.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

B B posted:

I said I couldn't vote for Tim Kaine because he backstabbed fellow Democrats to deregulate banks less than a decade after my parents lost their house and savings during the Great Recession. Shitdems spent several pages calling me a fascist.

i got called entitled for wanting medicare for all since my family had medical bankruptcies

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
tbh tho i just went in there to poo poo on everyone and it was fun and worked

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

B B posted:

What's loving hilarious is individual votes literally don't loving matter when it comes to these kind of discussions.

Like, okay, you don't vote for Tim Kaine, he still wins by hundreds of thousands of votes, but you have now made a moral failing by not incrementing that number by 1.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a bunch of poo poo about how team d cannot do wrong

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

tim kaine is not good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I legit get Doug jones and Tim kaine confused sometimes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WampaLord posted:

What's loving hilarious is individual votes literally don't loving matter when it comes to these kind of discussions.

Like, okay, you don't vote for Tim Kaine, he still wins by hundreds of thousands of votes, but you have now made a moral failing by not incrementing that number by 1.

Sorry, not sorry, but if you're not going to vote for Tim Kaine in 2020, I cannot take you seriously because you have a fundamental lack of understanding of what is at stake here. You're so ignorant and blind to the problems at hand that you're going to let one or two little votes in the Senate be some sort of purity test as to why you "feel" you can't vote for Timothy "Mother Bitchin'" Kaine? Absolutely pathetic and I hope that if you're ever lost in downtown Mexico City and need to know where la biblioteca is and Tim Kaine is there too, I hope that he doesn't give you directions because you're the reason why we need to bring back the poll tax to prevent idiot morons like you from voting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

hola, yo soy Tim kaine!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

that scene from the office where Ryan draws a tilde over the N in lemonade for oscars bday party but this time it's over the N in Kaine

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

comedyblissoption posted:

when asked what was the greatest national security threat to the US, sanders said climate change

Did he? I know O'Malley did.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

uspol was dead the instant joementum joined the cspam collective

I'm glad of it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wow, what a pie in the sky answer, just goes to show he was NOT serious as a candidate.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jun 12, 2018

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

let me propose a better system to you than capitalism: the workers themselves should democratically own the businesses they work in

abolish business

but if that's what u mean carry on :angel:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why can't you just hold your nose and vote dem

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

access to voting dem

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/yesthatCarlo/status/1006629606743527425?s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why can't you just hold your nose and vote dem
I have a lot of boils on my nose and it hurts if I do that :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

An income limitation, by itself, can't be a limit on your ability to accumulate wealth. If the average worker makes $50k and the top bracket's earning power is capped at $150k, then after 20 years, the average worker has made $5 million and the top bracket earner has made $15 million. Except the top bracket actually made more than that, because they invested some of that money and now have twenty years of gains adding a pretty sizeable percentage to that number.

But that's not even the real problem. The key flaw is that those top bracketers spend that money on lobbying, campaign donations, and building friendly media. They plow their wealth advantage into increasing their ability to accumulate wealth by pushing the government to power the taxes, lift the caps, and so on.

If a group of people are given any income advantage at all, that advantage will increase over time as a gap between them and everyone else grows, and then they'll use those advantages to attack the factors limiting the size of their advantage, allowing the gap to grow wider and giving them even more advantage that they can use to increase their advantage even more, and so on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

if corporations are people then we also need to talk more about taxing the everloving poo poo out of them too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

An income limitation, by itself, can't be a limit on your ability to accumulate wealth. If the average worker makes $50k and the top bracket's earning power is capped at $150k, then after 20 years, the average worker has made $5 million and the top bracket earner has made $15 million. Except the top bracket actually made more than that, because they invested some of that money and now have twenty years of gains adding a pretty sizeable percentage to that number.

But that's not even the real problem. The key flaw is that those top bracketers spend that money on lobbying, campaign donations, and building friendly media. They plow their wealth advantage into increasing their ability to accumulate wealth by pushing the government to power the taxes, lift the caps, and so on.

If a group of people are given any income advantage at all, that advantage will increase over time as a gap between them and everyone else grows, and then they'll use those advantages to attack the factors limiting the size of their advantage, allowing the gap to grow wider and giving them even more advantage that they can use to increase their advantage even more, and so on.

100% death tax fixes that though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Main Paineframe posted:

human power functions exactly like gravity

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:lol:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

The Soviet Union had a stratified system of incomes, but nobody could become rich because it wasn't possible to accumulate wealth. You could only earn higher incomes to spend on more things, or supplement it through government perks - but you couldn't own private property so it didn't translate to a meaningful power advantage. All disparities in power had to be achieved socially through politics. Wealth accumulation is only possible through private property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

100% death tax fixes that though.

60%+ of people think that the estate tax should be fully repealed lmbo

• Locked thread