Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Working on a list for NOVA, could use some feedback. I'm sorry to the anti-list people, but I did try to strip it down a bit from BattleScribe's formatting.

code:

The Lost Sons
Chaos Space Marines
Legion: Renegade Chapters
2499pts

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP ++

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour: Combi-plasma, Mark of Tzeentch, Power sword, Warlord

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power maul
. Terminator: 2x Lightning Claw
. Terminator: Power fist, Reaper autocannon

Chosen: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Chosen Champion: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. 4x Chosen: Combi-plasma, Power sword

Rubric Marines: Icon of Flame
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 4x Rubric Marine: 4x Inferno boltgun
. Rubric Marine: Soulreaper cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP ++

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle: Mark of Tzeentch, Plasma pistol, Power maul

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour: Combi-melta, Force sword, Mark of Tzeentch

+ Troops +

3x Chaos Space Marines: Icon of Flame , Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 4x Chaos Marine: Boltgun

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP ++

+ HQ +

Warpsmith: Bolt pistol, Flamer, Mark of Tzeentch, Meltagun, Power axe

+ Heavy Support +

2x Chaos Vindicator Laser Destroyer

Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought: Butcher cannon array, 2x Hellflamer, Hellforged siege claw, Meltagun

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP  ++

+ HQ  +

Exalted Champion: Plasma pistol, Mark of Tzeentch, Power maul

+ Heavy Support +

2x Havocs : Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. 4x Havoc: Plasma gun

Obliterators: Mark of Tzeentch
. 3x Obliterator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I picked up my second Warden kit. Once my helverins arrive this week, I'll have my big boy army.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Lupercalcalcal posted:

A service I'm happy to provide.

There was also a bit of a disagreement in the group about new Ork models. Model range that's coming out apparently will include new trukks, trakks, bikes, buggies, Boyz and Nobz.

One opinion was that they were "disappointing", one opinion was that they were "loving awesome" and then there was a lengthy "debate".

I'd be surprised at Boyz and Nobz. The current kits are great - easy to bash out a load, very poseable and customisable. Also, it would mildly to really annoy anyone who's got 120 of the existing buggers,. Which is most of us. I'd expect more of a Primaris style approach - Skarboyz etc. gently caress the Trukk kit. Fiddly and 107 bloody pieces with 7 steps worth of instructions, often at the wrong angle. You know when you're dealing with a great kit, designed by someone who really gets the craft, and the Trukk ain't it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Friends with Illustrator and decal paper. I already bought the decals from Fallout Hobbies before they decided to like sexist garbage but I’m not supporting them going forward.

I already do my own transfers, I was mostly wondering about white decals.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This will likely be what I bring to NOVA. Sadly it doesn't have enough CP to be really competitive, but it should be fun.

Deathwatch + Imperial Knights
2500 Points, 8 CP

HQ: Primaris Captain (Power Sword)
HQ: Watch Master

T: 5x Intercessors (Auto Bolt Rifle, Power Sword), 1x Aggressor (Boltsorm)

FA: 3x Inceptors (Plasma Exterminator)
H: 5x Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerator)

SH: 3x Armiger Warglaives (Heavy Stubber)
SH: 3x Armiger Helvarins (Heavy Stubber)
SH: Knight Perceptor (Stormspear, Gauntlet)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Milotic posted:

I'd be surprised at Boyz and Nobz. The current kits are great - easy to bash out a load, very poseable and customisable. Also, it would mildly to really annoy anyone who's got 120 of the existing buggers,. Which is most of us. I'd expect more of a Primaris style approach - Skarboyz etc. gently caress the Trukk kit. Fiddly and 107 bloody pieces with 7 steps worth of instructions, often at the wrong angle. You know when you're dealing with a great kit, designed by someone who really gets the craft, and the Trukk ain't it.

I do get the distinct impression that skarboyz are gonna be a thing in the same vein as iron jawz.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm still getting started with 40k and am currently in the process of building a Blood Angels army, but I just got a bonus at work and in the grand tradition of acquiring a huge surplus of unpainted mans, I'm thinking about :homebrew: on some of these warlads everyone's been talking about. Having not been totally following the knight codex stuff and detachment rules and whatnot, can someone give me a quick tl;dr the best way to supplement a BA battalion with some stompy bots? Some warglaives seem like they'd be pretty synergistic but I haven't really been paying attention to what all the different big guys do.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Artum posted:

I do get the distinct impression that skarboyz are gonna be a thing in the same vein as iron jawz.

That would work well. It's established in the fluff that the fightiest Orks are da biggest Orks. And the Iron Jawz models are amazing, but waaaaay bigger than 40k Boyz (the head of a Boy comes up to the armpit of an 'Ard Boy I've got on my desk right now). A kitbashed Ard Boy with a banner pole makes a great Nob with a Waagh pole proxy. gently caress, now I really want to paint him.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm still getting started with 40k and am currently in the process of building a Blood Angels army, but I just got a bonus at work and in the grand tradition of acquiring a huge surplus of unpainted mans, I'm thinking about :homebrew: on some of these warlads everyone's been talking about. Having not been totally following the knight codex stuff and detachment rules and whatnot, can someone give me a quick tl;dr the best way to supplement a BA battalion with some stompy bots? Some warglaives seem like they'd be pretty synergistic but I haven't really been paying attention to what all the different big guys do.

As a fellow Blood Angels player the new Castellan is extremely appealing because it very neatly replaces the majority of the fire support units I'd usually take. A box of Helverins would probably be a solid pick as well. Also the normal Knight variant that has two guns and who's name escapes me.

Essentially I'd be picking stuff to fill roles that the Blood Angels book struggles with and that is very much long range shooting. The shorter ranged Knights are cool and pretty effective but that's sort of the area where BA excel on their own merits. The Castellan has a ridiculous amount of firepower and will happily kill 2+ tanks per turn with reasonable rolling. Armiger Helverins are some of the most cost effective shooting in the entire Imperial lineup and are unlikely to be a bad choice for pretty much any army with the IMPERIUM keyword.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Naramyth posted:

S tier
Slow play orks
Mech eldar/ravagers/planes
Msu deldar

A tier (all imperium assumes a good guard screen and CP farm)
Imperium herohammer
1ksons
Nurgle plaguebearrers
Bugs
Vaults
Shooty knghts
Justin Curtis's double primarch 1k sons zangor list
Navadidididids yanarri

B tier
Normal crons
Orks
Admech chicken walkers
Bobby gunline
Genestealers
Punchy knights
Tau
Demons
Cusode bikers

Garbage tier
Probably everything else

Custodes bikes has gotta be at least A tier, and I’d argue triple big suit tau can probably sneak up there as well, otherwise seems legit (assuming imperial herohammer encapsulates the guard + custode captains + slamguinius lists).

Also, has anyone in the thread used Transcendent Ctan? Are they any good? Sadly the 1500 event I’m going to is no named characters, and while I could run a transcendent instead of the nightbringer he seems a lot less good. I guess double tapping on powers is quite nice as an option, but 225 points is steep, and i think too many things on the table are bad to let it ride on a double roll.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
My Jungle Daemon army uses skeletons as Bloodletters, so decided to mix the Shadespire warband in with the standard Tomb King troops. Make it look like adventurers from around the system have come seeking treasure in the ancient ruins, died, and joined the ranks of the undead.

Here's the rest of the army that I currently have photos of. Lots more on the way...

https://imgur.com/a/iszfTpg

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BuffaloChicken posted:

My Jungle Daemon army uses skeletons as Bloodletters, so decided to mix the Shadespire warband in with the standard Tomb King troops. Make it look like adventurers from around the system have come seeking treasure in the ancient ruins, died, and joined the ranks of the undead.

Here's the rest of the army that I currently have photos of. Lots more on the way...

Dude, that cape is insane. how did you do that? Pointillism?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Dude, that cape is insane. how did you do that? Pointillism?
Pretty much. I drew the initial pattern on lightly with a mechanical pencil, then blocked in the colors. Did an Agrax wash, highlighted the colors back up. Did another wash. Painted dots in the appropriate places, did another wash. Did the dots again. Then a final select dotting with a highlight color.

Someone asked for individual shots, so might as well share them here. I was originally planning on some swirly fleur-de-lys-style designs in bone on the purple cloak, but got lazy. Should I go back and add that?

Can't wait for my Catachan to bust up these bony boys.

vvv MANDATORY NARRATIVE-FORGING INSPIRATION BELOW vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 12, 2018

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
This is what I think of your auto-include imperial guard brigades!!!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BuffaloChicken posted:

These are cash money my dude. That cloak is my favorite thing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BuffaloChicken posted:

Pretty much. I drew the initial pattern on lightly with a mechanical pencil, then blocked in the colors. Did an Agrax wash, highlighted the colors back up. Did another wash. Painted dots in the appropriate places, did another wash. Did the dots again. Then a final select dotting with a highlight color.

Someone asked for individual shots, so might as well share them here. I was originally planning on some swirly fleur-de-lys-style designs in bone on the purple cloak, but got lazy. Should I go back and add that?

Can't wait for my Catachan to bust up these bony boys.

vvv MANDATORY NARRATIVE-FORGING INSPIRATION BELOW vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Madness. This all looks so good. I think the purple looks good as it, but now I want to see you do it, so yes, go back and add the fleur-de-lys.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

GreenMarine posted:

Hahaha that fuckin owns

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
should have removed one more finger so his dead-rear end mummy hand is flipping the perpetual bird

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I made a bad decision and now I need Knight bits; specifically the rotor cannon or the Thunderstrike Gauntlet. I'm tearing my way through Necrons right now and basically threw in on Knights rather than Sisters, because I don't want to have to slay my way through so much detail painting on 2 armies (GSC).

I'd trade or pay for a TS Gauntlet or the Avenger Gatling Cannon. HMU @ herpderpspamcatcher@gmail.com.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GreenMarine posted:

Auto include nothing I've been wanting to make guard but with knights instead of tanks since dow3 came out.

These guys look dope and I think I'll be able to make something cool using some of the bits from these.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hey guys, I've got several collections of 40k and WHFB stuff that I'm looking to offload, but it's in varying condition ( multiple multiple armies, painted/unpainted/based/unbased/on/off sprues) and I kinda hate ebay?? Does a lot of buying and selling still happen by the forums? Is SA-Mart still the place to go if so? Any tips or anything that you guys look for when you're trawling for secondhand minis?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The helverin model is better than I was expecting. The guns don't look weirdly proportioned in person.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Xpost from the 30k thread for visibility:

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The 30k thread is now officially hosting Zone Mortalis at LVO 2019. Last year was quite fun despite no organization at all whatsoever, next year is gonna be very good. If you’re a lurker or thread regular please consider flying to a degenerate hell city next February and playing small mans in hallways with your fellow posters.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

NovemberMike posted:

The helverin model is better than I was expecting. The guns don't look weirdly proportioned in person.

I feel like they’d look a lot better parallel to each other and actually aiming at something, like a Madcat or Vulture mech’s arms from Battletech, rather than all splayed out in different directions like they’re modeled in all the promo pics?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MD goons- I’ll be at Ft Meade all next week and won’t have poo poo to do during evenings and up for some hams.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I feel like they’d look a lot better parallel to each other and actually aiming at something, like a Madcat or Vulture mech’s arms from Battletech, rather than all splayed out in different directions like they’re modeled in all the promo pics?

Further proof that GW sucks at modeling and photographing their stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm listening to the badcast. You guys are extremely easy to listen to and I like it, but whoever said you are the most American sounding Americans wasn't lying lmao

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Stephenls posted:

To be completely honest, they only point parallel if they're basically pointing straight forward.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Your work, as always, is amazing.

-

I got the first of my Chaos Marine Chosen assembled. Kitbashing is so my poo poo.

Dark Angel Veteran bodies and heads, MkIV Marine right arm and combi-plasma, Khenetai Occult Blade Cabal left arms, Rubric Marine shoulderpads.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

MD goons- I’ll be at Ft Meade all next week and won’t have poo poo to do during evenings and up for some hams.

Gonna be around on the weekend? Games & Stuff is a pretty good venue, and I'll meet up to get my rear end kicked.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Gonna be around on the weekend? Games & Stuff is a pretty good venue, and I'll meet up to get my rear end kicked.

Unfortunately no it’s only M-TH (Friday I’ll be just going home.)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I’m running the Busch Light case at LVO

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

BuffaloChicken posted:

This needs more attention. Not only are they beautiful skeleton boys, but your entire approach to Warhammer, with its heavily converted and modeled armies alongside custom fluff, is what got me excited about this whole silly hobby decades ago.

* I mean, these aren't converted, but oh wow that cloak.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
New Badcast episode is absolutely excellent.

Thanks guys :)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have a rules question from a new player: Imagine a 5-man combat squad of intercessors is in melee combat with some other enemy unit. The marines are arranged in a single-file column pointing away from the unit they’re engaging. Each intercessor is no more than 1” away from the next one in the column, so the unit is coherent. Can the models at the far end of the column (furthest from the enemy) still attack the enemy unit in melee combat?

I’ve watched a few videos online and I can’t quite tell if the furthest away models can Go-Go-Gadget Arms their attacks or not. Some videos talk about the unit as a whole fighting, others make it seem like each individual model has to be within a certain range of the thing they’re trying to punch.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I have a rules question from a new player: Imagine a 5-man combat squad of intercessors is in melee combat with some other enemy unit. The marines are arranged in a single-file column pointing away from the unit they’re engaging. Each intercessor is no more than 1” away from the next one in the column, so the unit is coherent. Can the models at the far end of the column (furthest from the enemy) still attack the enemy unit in melee combat?

I’ve watched a few videos online and I can’t quite tell if the furthest away models can Go-Go-Gadget Arms their attacks or not. Some videos talk about the unit as a whole fighting, others make it seem like each individual model has to be within a certain range of the thing they’re trying to punch.

They would not all be able to fight. In order to attack a model has to either be within an inch of an enemy model or within an inch of a model that is already within an inch.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yet for some reason when choosing who was killed, you can select the person furthest back, despite being out of attack range

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I still can't believe we're going legit this year after the makeshift crystal caverns of 2018.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yet for some reason when choosing who was killed, you can select the person furthest back, despite being out of attack range

Yep, it sure was amazing having to struggle to fish your models out of a big melee without moving anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I feel your pain but when your opponent is Daisy-chaining models in his high-count unit 15 inches behind the combat it gets tiresome