Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SgtSteel91 posted:

Starfield, Cyberpunk, and Assassin's Creed is eating their lunch

it will be the best game ever so even if anthem its good there is no way in hell i will play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

still will never understand their rationale for abandoning a reliably captive audience for "what if No Man's Sky but worse" and "what if Destiny but late"

Because EA wants billion dollar games that everyone will play, not reliably successful games with a [big] niche audience.

It's a shame, it's a rare indie RPG I've found that scratches that reliable itch like Bioware does, mostly the Shadowrun games and especially Dragonfall. Almost all get too grognardy, too anime, too edgy nihilistic everything sucks and is awful, or some combination thereof.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just want that mass market feel huh?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh god the comments on the IGN livestream currently showing Anthem when Cyberpunk is on the posted schedule are choice.
:discourse:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

Because EA wants billion dollar games that everyone will play, not reliably successful games with a [big] niche audience.

It's a shame, it's a rare indie RPG I've found that scratches that reliable itch like Bioware does, mostly the Shadowrun games and especially Dragonfall. Almost all get too grognardy, too anime, too edgy nihilistic everything sucks and is awful, or some combination thereof.

EYE Divine Cybermancy. It even has multiplayer!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh god the comments on the IGN livestream currently showing Anthem when Cyberpunk is on the posted schedule are choice.
:discourse:

Oh?

Not going to watch an Anthem livestream, but I'm curious what they're saying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy. It even has multiplayer!

That game rules, but it’s so, so loving impenetrably weird in a lot of ways. At least it’s 2 bucks all the time, so if it’s not for you you’re not out much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Starfield, Cyberpunk, and Assassin's Creed is eating their lunch

pretty much. even loving dying light 2 is has loving chris avallone building their world/story/choices, meanwhile whats left of bioware chases the pink dragon called destiny by creating some unoriginal ugly shitpile while Papa EA slowly loads his revolver again. everyone else is just taking from CDPR or some other not hosed developer.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2018

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh?

Not going to watch an Anthem livestream, but I'm curious what they're saying.

cant imagine what epople might be saying when you're supposed to be streaming a potentially very cool game but are instead streaming piss and turds

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

well, drat, this might be the first rear end creed game i've bought since one of the ones with ezio

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

how did the most recent ME and DA games sell compared to destiny, and/or destiny 2? Does there really seem to be that much more money in it? I'm not a businessman i'm more of an ideas guy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ainsley McTree posted:

how did the most recent ME and DA games sell compared to destiny, and/or destiny 2? Does there really seem to be that much more money in it? I'm not a businessman i'm more of an ideas guy

Andromeda sold quite well on launch and then fell into a deep hole. Same with DA2, though I have no idea about DA3 because I do not care.

im cute posted:

can’t wait to engage these Greek aliens in conversations that will inevitably let me gently caress.

Origins established that you can change the future with the animus now, so I would imagine they're eventually going to go full on alternate history because why else would you even bring that up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote isn't edit

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
DA3 was really bad, i still dont understand how so many people liked it, some really terrible animations and the sheer MMO monotony of collecting magic boar gizzards

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried to play it on PS3.
Of course the graphics were crap but the MMO nature of the game made it umplayable for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inquisition looked really good on PC and still did when I replayed it about two years ago.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The combat was the big dealbreaker for me with Inquisition. It's either boring button mashing or hair tearing frustrating with no in between.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I couldn't make it past the first 3 hours of DA:I because the game continually trying to force me into a romantic relationship during every dialogue became so tedious that I finally just gave up and quit rather than listen to another quirky character with a dramatic entrance flirt with me like a high school jock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I couldn't make it past the first 3 hours of DA:I because the game continually trying to force me into a romantic relationship during every dialogue became so tedious that I finally just gave up and quit rather than listen to another quirky character with a dramatic entrance flirt with me like a high school jock.

Tip: don't pick the dialogue option with a heart on it. The only character who blatantly hits on you first is Sera if you're playing a female qunari.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
romance options are one of the worst things about video games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fridge corn posted:

If only they were optional

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ainsley McTree posted:

If only they were optional

What would be great is if they were optional, but it makes the romance option characters extremely confused that you're rejecting them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Iron Crowned posted:

What would be great is if they were optional, but it makes the romance option characters extremely confused that you're rejecting them.

You do have to make the first move, though. It's very rare for a Bioware NPC to make the first move outside TOR - Sera with a female qunari and Anders are the only ones who come to mind.

Stop clicking on the heart prompts if you don't want the NPC to think you're romantically interested.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Doesn’t Kaiden always in ME3?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dogen posted:

But Kaiden is just some random carbon molecules on virmire? :confused:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

fridge corn posted:

romance design challenges the medium

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dogen posted:

Only if you romanced him in 1. Otherwise he's emotionally open and friendly, but doesn't flirt with you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I will never figure out people who can't complete a romance in Bioware games OR people who can't avoid them

it's marked very clearly!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

They could hook up with your best friend to make you jealous

I do think romance options are kind of cheesy and cringey but like...you can just not do them who cares

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hobbesmaster posted:

But Kaiden is just some random carbon molecules on virmire? :confused:

I hope we get to romance molecular carbon in the next Mass Effect game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only Witcher does good romances

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Especially if you try both of them at once.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

I will never figure out people who can't complete a romance in Bioware games OR people who can't avoid them

it's marked very clearly!

It's lame because I wanted to be bros with Garrus but not bang him and apparently that's just madness in Bioware land

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And Saint's Row 4.

corn in the bible posted:

It's lame because I wanted to be bros with Garrus but not bang him and apparently that's just madness in Bioware land

So... don't pick the option to flirt with him? Or if you did pick the flirt option on accident, let him down in the next conversation?

Apparently Bioware needs to import what they did from TOR and explicitly label flirty dialogue options (hint: they're always the upper-left part of the dialogue wheel) as [FLIRT]

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RPGs should let you pick best friends instead of lovers

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cythereal posted:

And Saint's Row 4.

You know, it might not count if the game by default lets you make the gently caress with everyone including the god drat robot.

But I think I'll count it BECAUSE of that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cythereal posted:

Only if you romanced him in 1. Otherwise he's emotionally open and friendly, but doesn't flirt with you.

No he definitely came onto me as a maleshep in ME3, and I don’t think you could romance him in ME1 as a dude

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

RPGs should let you pick best friends instead of lovers

That's Garrus if you pick guy Shep, don't have Shepard suggest "Hey! We could gently caress! That's something I'd be interested in!", or pick the options in the romance scene that go "Actually, you're right, this might be a terrible idea that could ruin everything. We're best friends, it would be weird."

There's much less dialog in ME2 if you don't romance him, which is something they explicitly set out to correct in ME3, but he's still established as Shepard's Best Friend.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah but you ought to be able to choose your best friend instead of the writers picking one for you. Give me a literal bromance option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

widespread posted:

You know, it might not count if the game by default lets you make the gently caress with everyone including the god drat robot.

But I think I'll count it BECAUSE of that.

Not everyone. Keith David is married, and the Boss just wants Ben King's autograph.