Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mgsv has insanely good controls and gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played Twin Snakes but I doubt it can be any more In Your Face than MGS 2 and 3

Literally every time the camera moves in a cutscene, there's an airplane woosh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

You can bait his attack if you stay at a midrange distance from him
Manhandla is the absolute fucker who will just gently caress your poo poo up and is actually detrimental to fight with more than one character

It seemed to be easier in the WiiU version of Hyrule Warriors to bait out his inhale, but on the Definitive edition it seems more random and he does the rolling attack more often than not if I stay outside of his melee range.

Manhandla is a pain to fight, but you fight them less overall and they seem to enjoy doing attacks that make at least one of the heads weak, so overall it feels like I'm doing more against them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mgsv has insanely good controls and gameplay

Yeah to the dude who was saying he didn’t want to play another MG game, V is insanely good. Plus it’s got a poo poo ton of hours of gameplay if you want to do it that way, but it’s not necessary. But I love sniping people sooooo much and Quiet killing the gently caress out of everyone is :swoon:

Problem: I’m trying to find bad things to complain about Detroit but I really can’t. The writing shockingly isn’t bad (Cage must have had help), there’s no creepiness, and the story and gameplay are really cool. I’m honestly upset I can’t complain more than this.

Ok e: this robot knew I was trying to repload a previous checkpoint and was unintentionally habitually pressing “continue game.” And she was like, “are you sure you want to do this?” This is soooooo creepy

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jun 12, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

The MGS games, the ones I've played are utterly batshit and have a ton of things dragging them down.

I started with the PS2 era games and struggled with wonky controls and camera angles, long winded un-skippable cut scenes and a LOT of trial and error gameplay. I HATE trial and error gameplay. I've been loving around with the modern Wolfenstein, DOOM and Tomb Raider games and they all semi suffer from it to varying degrees.

I'm honestly afraid to try a new Metal Gear game based on what I read about them. I remember liking a lot about them but also recall poo poo like laying down on my belly for no reason, shooting of my really loud gun when I didn't want to and poo poo like that. Probably I just suck at video games but, while I'm at it...

Overly complex controls take me out of anything. A well designed game makes the control layout intuitive and second nature.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain has amazing controls and is very easy to play. And this is coming from someone who considers the original Metal Gear Solid trilogy to be a tragedy about a supersoldier with a congenital defect that makes him bellyflop onto his own grenades and in front of enemy soldiers to be helplessly mowed down at random intervals because good lord are those some clunky-rear end controls.

MGSV has one of the biggest innovations of the entire series if not last console generation in that it gets away with codec calls entirely and replaces them with cassette tapes that you can listen to at your leisure as you play and which you have full control over and even automatically resume playback when you resume them later. Being able to listen to them as you actually play the game instead of having to slam on the breaks and watch two literal talking heads completely changes the experience for the better and it's really frustrating that so many people straight up ignored them and then complained that the game didn't have enough story content or complained that the cassettes should have been full cutscenes.

I've always been annoyed by how games like the Ubisoft open world games and the last generation of Bioware RPGs or Destiny just love to throw a codex full of :words:world-building lore:words: at you and expect you to just sit there and read it but that just makes it that much worse in comparison because if it was in audio form hell yeah I'd probably give it a listen while I'm dungeon crawling or whatever.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Erotic Wakes posted:

MGSV has one of the biggest innovations of the entire series if not last console generation in that it gets away with codec calls entirely and replaces them with cassette tapes that you can listen to at your leisure as you play and which you have full control over and even automatically resume playback when you resume them later. Being able to listen to them as you actually play the game instead of having to slam on the breaks and watch two literal talking heads completely changes the experience for the better and it's really frustrating that so many people straight up ignored them and then complained that the game didn't have enough story content or complained that the cassettes should have been full cutscenes.

Man, the cassettes where the worst thing(not really but they were pretty bad) they were mostly just bad audio logs that often didn't connect in any way to what you were doing at the time. Putting the controls where they were was a pretty inaccessible choice so a lot of the time you are choosing between standing still doing nothing or having the tape being drowned out by enemies or even your buddies going "look a gunship" for the 187319837129837th time. I feel like MGS4 did it better with it's iPod because it was part of the regular item menu.

Hel has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Jun 12, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't say this is something dragging down Fallout 76 as the game isn't out yet, but Todd Howard says that it will "Have no NPCs, raider gangs will be other players", leading me to worry that the game is one of those gently caress about until you get bored and uninstall games, and I hate those. If it really doesn't have any main objective, no colorful sidequests, then can you really call it a fallout game, and not Rust but with Power Armor and nukes?

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jun 12, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought there was a quote where fallout 76 could be played entirely without other people. Might be mixing that up with another e3 thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ilmucche posted:

I thought there was a quote where fallout 76 could be played entirely without other people. Might be mixing that up with another e3 thing.

Unsurprisingly it was doublespeak for "Yeah you can play on your own! (Just ignore the other players and hopefully MagaPepe420 won't kill you on sight!)"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's probably like Elite Dangerous where you can play with no other players but it'll still be online, it just connects you to a private instance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Veotax posted:

It's probably like Elite Dangerous where you can play with no other players but it'll still be online, it just connects you to a private instance.

Nope, they even explained that, initially it was "No, players are gonna be around in your game, like it or not" and overnight they've changed to "UUUH ACTUALLY, we meant we'll try and have private instances in quick hopefully!"

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Got Rise of the Tomb Raider recently. The combat and exploration are good and fun, but:

1. It has that boring climbing that's in a lot of games, and is only there to waste your time and pad out the game.

2. The basic purchase came with all the DLC, which is cool, but apparently some of that DLC unlocked all of the alternate weapons so a whole bunch of the exploration rewards are just worthless now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The problem I have with Skyrim is that XP isn't tied to quests, but instead grinding the same skills over and over again. The game isn't so compelling enough to stop me from just using console commands to give me 500 herbs and ingots to help me power-level to 100 immediately. I never had to cheat in New Vegas or Witcher 3 because those games never relied on grinding or farming in any way, instead being deliberately finite experiences.

Another problem is trying to find the real quests amongst the random-generated ones. I've gone back to this game across six years and I've beaten Alduin or visited Blackreach.

I finished the prologue of Warframe and the game is fantastic, probably the first MMO I've ever played. What's not fantastic is Steam making GBS threads the bed and making redownload the entire thing. Ffffffffuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk yyyyyyyooouuuuuuuuu.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Trick Question posted:

Got Rise of the Tomb Raider recently. The combat and exploration are good and fun, but:

1. It has that boring climbing that's in a lot of games, and is only there to waste your time and pad out the game.

2. The basic purchase came with all the DLC, which is cool, but apparently some of that DLC unlocked all of the alternate weapons so a whole bunch of the exploration rewards are just worthless now.

The setpieces and exploration seemed way inferior to most of TR2013 for me, but the Witch questline was great, even if the quest rewards made the rest of the game way too easy.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
People rightfully dunk on single-player games wasting resources on a multiplayer mode in the name of adding a bullet point to the back of the box, I don't think the inverse is any different.

tight aspirations posted:

The setpieces and exploration seemed way inferior to most of TR2013 for me, but the Witch questline was great, even if the quest rewards made the rest of the game way too easy.

One of the things that annoyed me about Rise was that the story was predicated on the ambiguity of whether or not the supernatural exists when the previous game ended with samurai zombies and a literal thunder goddess. I was really looking forward to them getting weird with the sequel now that that cat was out of the bag and instead it's still 90% dudes with guns/bows and regular animals and you climbing through grounded real-world locations.

The Baba Yaga DLC was the most memorable thing in that game precisely because it went full supernatural and even then they take it all back and it was just hallucinations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Are we still spoiling Rise of the Tomb Raider?
There was a relic that literally made people immortal so that if they died, they just sort of came back. The Immortal Prophet and his stupid, dumb army of angry men. They never said whether that was supernatural or extraterrestrial or what.
Lara, Sam, and Jonah are the only people alive who koww the first game ended with magic stone warriors and a storm goddess passing from host to host like a parasite. I think the second game implies that Sam decides "gently caress this" and goes into full denial mode.
In Rise, I don't recall Lara ever saying "wow, I bet this immortality thing is a crock of superstitious bullshit". She's all on board from the beginning or at least willing to believe due to what she experienced. She figures out dude is the Immortal Prophet because he keeps not dying when he should have; she doesn't question it.
Sure, they could have gone deeper, but that would make it obviously not the world we live in, which it seemed like they were trying to avoid.

But, the third one is going full Mayan Apocalypse blood moon stuff, so maybe you'll get your wish and the news will be out about the supernatural.

Edit: the point of the second one was Lara desperately wanted to believe that her dad wasn't a crazy person. We weren't supposed to know for sure until she knew for sure.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Jun 12, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

New-Tomb Raider reminds me of Amazing Spider-man movies; a series that would be awesome if we weren't stuck in a prolonged origin-story nobody cares about.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

New-Tomb Raider reminds me of Amazing Spider-man movies; a series that would be awesome if we weren't stuck in a prolonged origin-story nobody cares about.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that the goal of this trilogy all along. It wasn't a good goal, but it was what they said they set out to do. I'm surprised they've been able to make two games that were fun to play to be honest.
I hope they keep going and do another set of games after this where you can shoot T-rexes and fist-fight angels and what-not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So far I like how the upcoming Tomb Raider leans more into the idea that hey, maybe Lara just enjoys killing people.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BiggerBoat posted:

Overly complex controls take me out of anything. A well designed game makes the control layout intuitive and second nature.

I nearly never finished Metal Gear Solid 3 (as part of the Legacy Collection on the PS3) because I never had a PS2 and didn't know that the PS2 and PS3 have pressure-sensitive face buttons. I went through the entire game without the pressure-sensitive face buttons interfering much with the gameplay, but once I got to the motorcycle chase rail shooting section, the game got extremely frustrating because I'm aiming with an analogue stick without crosshairs or any good way to aim the gun. Eventually I got a piece of masking tape and stuck it to my TV to act as the reticle so I could kill enemies effectively.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

So far I like how the upcoming Tomb Raider leans more into the idea that hey, maybe Lara just enjoys killing people.

Yeah like the first one she seemed to be killed throngs of guys out of necessity, this one she's literally stringing them up by their necks and watching them die.

Lara is getting loving horny over all this murder she gets to commit. It's the reason she keeps going on these excursions, it's the only way she can feel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I finished the prologue of Warframe and the game is fantastic, probably the first MMO I've ever played. What's not fantastic is Steam making GBS threads the bed and making redownload the entire thing. Ffffffffuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk yyyyyyyooouuuuuuuuu.

Warframe has come so far from what it was when I first played. 5 years ago it was a janky mess with the potential to be a fun cyborg ninja game someday. Same thing 3 years ago. And 2. I booted it up on my PS4 two weeks ago and ended up actually spending money on it, I was having such a good time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Warframe is very good. The worst part of it, by far, is how almost nothing is explained to you about any weapons, mods, warframe abilities*, etc. Its a game you need the wikia open for the entire time.

*ok well it tells you the bare minimum of what an ability does.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Morpheus posted:

Yeah like the first one she seemed to be killed throngs of guys out of necessity, this one she's literally stringing them up by their necks and watching them die.

Lara is getting loving horny over all this murder she gets to commit. It's the reason she keeps going on these excursions, it's the only way she can feel.

Apparently Jonah will be telling her she should reel it back in a bit because, drat, but she won't listen. The voice actor for Lara felt bad recording the lines for those interactions, where Lara was clearly ignoring good advice from someone who loved her so she could justify her progressively darker actions. Going straight into Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness next I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like the new Tomb Raider game(s) but I keep getting them mixed up. I think I played Rise and really liked it aside from backtracking for poo poo I missed.

For the dude that wondered why Laura accepted the immortality maguffin thing, if I'm remembering right, I thought it had something to do with her discovering her father's research or some poo poo.

So on xbone there's how many stand alone TR games?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Warframe is very good. The worst part of it, by far, is how almost nothing is explained to you about any weapons, mods, warframe abilities*, etc. Its a game you need the wikia open for the entire time.

*ok well it tells you the bare minimum of what an ability does.

My problem with Warframe is that eventually I built a shotgun that could 1 or 2 shot pretty much anything and the game started feeling pointless. It was a pretty fun ride up to that point, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The problem I have with Skyrim is that XP isn't tied to quests, but instead grinding the same skills over and over again. The game isn't so compelling enough to stop me from just using console commands to give me 500 herbs and ingots to help me power-level to 100 immediately. I never had to cheat in New Vegas or Witcher 3 because those games never relied on grinding or farming in any way, instead being deliberately finite experiences.

Another problem is trying to find the real quests amongst the random-generated ones. I've gone back to this game across six years and I've beaten Alduin or visited Blackreach.

The game also scales to your skills. So if you, say, spend your first few hours puttering around a town leveling stealth, pickpocketing and/or your crafting skills but none of your combat skills then you're going to have a fun time smacking bandits for 1% of their massive healthbars for a while.

Warframe is fun right up until A. You fight Vey Hek and realize all of the bosses are garbage, and B. the new game smell wears off and you're stuck with infinite grind and waiting literal days for your dogs and guns to come out of the microwave.

The Moon Monster posted:

My problem with Warframe is that eventually I built a shotgun that could 1 or 2 shot pretty much anything and the game started feeling pointless. It was a pretty fun ride up to that point, though.

That's basically how the game works. You're either one shotting everything, or the game's a miserable slog because everything has too much armor to bother killing. Are they still on damage 2.0 or did they change it yet again? They do that every so often, realize everyone's doing too much damage and just completely overhaul the damage and mod systems so everyone has to figure out the optimal way to min-max yet again while making some of the coolest and most unique weapons useless.

Like the Acrid. Back before the damage overhaul, it was one of the most powerful weapons because it did piercing damage and poisoned enemies. It was a unique gun because it didn't just nuke things and it was interesting because of that. After the overhaul, however, it was completely useless and you were better off just using a shotgun again. Warframe is at its weakest, I feel, when everyone's just stuck using the same loadouts because the alternatives are all just so infinitely weaker there's no reason to even try.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I actually meant to say I hadn't beaten Alduin or gotten to Blackreach. I don't see the point of randomly generating quests in a single-player game. You're not fooling anyone by slotting these between actual actual handmade missions, and you're just making apparent the gulf between the two. RNG mission make sense in multiplayer affars like Warframe, and in games where the long-term goal is fulfilling milestones.

I wonder how Wild Hunt would have fared under another developer. If it were Bethesda then were would be 100 boring dungeons you'd have to progress though, and if it were Rockstar then it would be a 100 times more mean-spirited and there'd be no story DLC, only online transactions, because gently caress you we're Rockstar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've played an absurd amount of Skyrim and I've never finished the main story either. Never even finished the civil war. It's all just so boring and bad. Only ever found Blackreach by accident, because there's one quest in a major city that takes you right to it. 90% of my skyrim experience has either been just wandering around place to place in vanilla, or otherwise enjoying mods. It feels way, way more shallow than either Oblivion or Morrowind.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

That's basically how the game works. You're either one shotting everything, or the game's a miserable slog because everything has too much armor to bother killing. Are they still on damage 2.0 or did they change it yet again? They do that every so often, realize everyone's doing too much damage and just completely overhaul the damage and mod systems so everyone has to figure out the optimal way to min-max yet again while making some of the coolest and most unique weapons useless.

Like the Acrid. Back before the damage overhaul, it was one of the most powerful weapons because it did piercing damage and poisoned enemies. It was a unique gun because it didn't just nuke things and it was interesting because of that. After the overhaul, however, it was completely useless and you were better off just using a shotgun again. Warframe is at its weakest, I feel, when everyone's just stuck using the same loadouts because the alternatives are all just so infinitely weaker there's no reason to even try.

There's been some rumblings about damage 3.0, but iirc the proposal was basically a nerf to slash damage without meaningfully buffing the other other physical kinds. There was a bunch of backlash and they took it back to the drawing board, there might have been more about it in recent weeks but I've stopped playing for a little bit now and I'm not following dev news.

Armour's still super hosed, but if you're not playing content at a high enough level for it to matter you can screw about with whatever gun. If you are it's fine as long as you're going all in on armour stripping or everyone's brought the one useful aura!

Skyrim's pretty neat if you mod it until it bleeds, but the base game is pretty shallow and mediocre.

Path of Exile: There's lots of cool builds based on using cool uniques that do fun things and I can't bring myself to care about them because having to shop around for them (or purposefully grind up the currency to afford them) just to play a character feels like such a chore. Objectively it isn't, mostly, but ugh.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Learned in the past few days that X-Wing Alliance got a 2.02 version update (Years old already though) so started replaying that. Still great fun, still at times braindead AI that will leave you hanging and not accomplish their part of the mission, bringing you to having to replay everything. Now just have to remember which missions really bugged out with the scripting if you did too good a job killing poo poo and identifying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm finally playing Witcher 3 and you know what? gently caress wolves. This is almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Gerald is just wading through millions of wolves to get to any place on this map. I talked to an NPC to get a quest and like twenty wolves just showed up running around in the background of this dialogue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So I'm finally playing Witcher 3 and you know what? gently caress wolves. This is almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Gerald is just wading through millions of wolves to get to any place on this map. I talked to an NPC to get a quest and like twenty wolves just showed up running around in the background of this dialogue.

:woof:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

:woof::woof:

wolves hunt in packs Arisen!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Certainly its pack draws near.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

Just mentioning dragons dogma made my blood pressure go up, I hated that game so bad. SO MUCH. Everything about it. Everything.

E: I spent 20 real life minutes running from a quest point chased by lizards (quest where I got killed by an overpowered enemy so I couldn’t complete the quest—this was at the beginning of the game, why was he op?) and getting lost in some forest trying to get back to the main path. Never found the main path. Dumped that piece of poo poo back in the library drop box immediately afterwards.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Jun 13, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^
you should have dumped that game into my console because i loving love it to pieces

ChaseSP posted:

Certainly its pack draws near.

No! They hold the advantage!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MGSV is absurdly great, but one mission is pissing me off: #16, Traitors Caravan. They never tell you where the caravan is coming from or where it is going, where the escorts are coming from, all they tell you is "Predicted Routes." Where are they starting? Who's starting where? What direction is anybody going?! I finally looked up videos online of where the poo poo is, but goddamn that mission is badly explained.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

:woof::woof:

wolves hunt in packs Arisen!

Wolves ill like fire!

It's true, though. I stopped using my stupid shield rune and just started setting them all on fire and it's much easier to kill them now.

Thin Privilege posted:

Just mentioning dragons dogma made my blood pressure go up, I hated that game so bad. SO MUCH. Everything about it. Everything.

E: I spent 20 real life minutes running from a quest point chased by lizards (quest where I got killed by an overpowered enemy so I couldn’t complete the quest—this was at the beginning of the game, why was he op?) and getting lost in some forest trying to get back to the main path. Never found the main path. Dumped that piece of poo poo back in the library drop box immediately afterwards.

It's a very fun game, I find. With a few questionable choices in design. As you found, the beginning of the game can be super rough because of how leveling and damage scaling works. If you're even one level below an enemy your damage will be crippled. But if you're equal to or above you'll destroy anything. Some enemies, like the lizards, have specific gimmicks for dealing with them too. You cut off their tails and suddenly you do a lot more damage to them. Your pawns will point this out to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thing dragging down Friday the 13th is that Victor Miller, the guy who wrote the first movie, is trying to sue for copyright control of the series despite not even watching the rest of the series because he got all old-man-yells-at-cloud about Jason being the killer. As a result, Illfonic and Gun aren't allowed to release any new content for the game including Uber Jason and the Grendel map. People were already able to shuffle some files around to play as Uber Jason without issue so they were super close to releasing it.