Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, fascination is trivial to avoid because barring I think one event (time) you have to generate it all

So when it pops, you have a ton of time to get rid of it. You should do that as soon as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wolpertinger posted:

So, for 'special' paintings I dropped in 3 passion, a 6-strength heart lore as the inspiration, and used a heart pigment as the paint.. and it ate the paint and gave me nothing - what did I do wrong? Pigment is really rare for me so that's frustrating.

Oddly enough, it's always worked for me when I painted a disciple with the appropriate aspect with the paint.

Then again, I also worked up to a fevered imagination and threw in four passion.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fat Samurai posted:

Found that in the Mansus, peacock Door. Straight up Scholar - Vek, IIRC

I know that, I mean there's also a book that teaches it.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I believe you can also repeatedly do cult promotions to your Pawns and use fascination/dread as a trapping. They won't advance beyond their 5-aspect version, but it consumes the trapping just fine.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m in love with this game and haven’t gotten super far, so I’m still figuring everything out. My last run was stuck in a couple hour extremely slow death spiral after I cleaned out the auction house and bookstore and couldn’t find any new lore pieces without new books, and couldn’t solve the Stag Door riddle.

Is there a reliable non-book way to generate various lores? I don’t think I got a single Moth lore the whole run and only saw Forge once.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Aerox posted:

I’m in love with this game and haven’t gotten super far, so I’m still figuring everything out. My last run was stuck in a couple hour extremely slow death spiral after I cleaned out the auction house and bookstore and couldn’t find any new lore pieces without new books, and couldn’t solve the Stag Door riddle.

Is there a reliable non-book way to generate various lores? I don’t think I got a single Moth lore the whole run and only saw Forge once.

New lore is only gained from books, but books can be gained from Expeditions as well as the shops. Expedition locations can be found by Exploring Secret Histories. Existing lore can be upgraded via combining two of the same variety, or by subverting it with a specific different lore.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

With maybe a couple exceptions (STUMM! comes to mind), Morlands and Oriflamme's won't ever be getting you more than level 4 lores for the various aspects. By the end of the game you are going to be wanting level 14 lore. That's both literally dozens of level 2 lores to combine, and literally impossible as you'll never get enough lore from the stores to reach it. Luckily, you don't have to, because rare books found only in expeditions can leap frog you way ahead. End game books (usually in a hard to acquire dead language) can even reveal level 14 lore without any need to combine them. You should only be combining lore when you have a short term need for it (like making promotions easier, or getting through a door, or being able to complete a commission) because combining lore is otherwise time-consuming, prone to failure, and almost always unnecessary.

The real tension in this game is doing expeditions. Having the resources and manpower to complete them, and balancing their completion with the obligatory notoriety they produce, and therefore in dealing with the Hunter. Dread, decrepitude, and fascination failures are almost always avoidable or traceable to a bad decision you made, like any good roguelike. But your progress towards completing the game is equal to your progress completing expeditions. It's the only way to win the game and not just tread water, so learning them and developing strategies to avoid the consequences of them is essential.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Question about Win Conditions:

Besides the mundane ones, what are all the ways to win? I got through the Peacock door but all my good cultists were dead so I decided just to start over. Do you win a "Desire" victory just by doing a Rite using a shitload of whatever Lore type you are going for? I accidentally chose "Power" and got locked into Forge victory despite being a Moth cult, so this time I'm going Lantern/Enlightenment victory if I can.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Question about Win Conditions:

Besides the mundane ones, what are all the ways to win? I got through the Peacock door but all my good cultists were dead so I decided just to start over. Do you win a "Desire" victory just by doing a Rite using a shitload of whatever Lore type you are going for? I accidentally chose "Power" and got locked into Forge victory despite being a Moth cult, so this time I'm going Lantern/Enlightenment victory if I can.

There are only three: Power (Forge), Enlightenment (Lantern) and Sensation (Grail). There is supposed to be one for every aspect coming, plus some advanced versions of each, but those are the only ones in-game right now.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Synthbuttrange posted:

But I need it NOOOW.. whoops there goes another one to fascination.

I just lost a game I had been playing for what felt like a LONG time last night to fascination. My investigator was already locked in somewhere and I wasn't paying attention to fascination piling up so it was my fault. Normally if I get more than one fascination or one fascination in combination with the event coming up I don't bother trying to farm dread and just shut everything even slightly risky down and wait it out.

This is a fun game but the grind is waaaay too long, especially with having to manually drag everything. I can't see going through it again at this rate.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I lost someone to fascination because I drove my last investigator insane with The Wolf Word and then drove the next one insane with Lantern lore, so, probably my fault then.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1006627351860600834

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I guess cultist sold well enough that they can hire a game designer :v:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
'Colossal News'

Colossal Order is the company that makes Cities: Skylines. The possibilities range from 'Horizon Signal for Cities: Skylines' all the way to 'eldritch Lovecraftian citybuilder' and they're all magical.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

NewMars posted:

There are only three: Power (Forge), Enlightenment (Lantern) and Sensation (Grail). There is supposed to be one for every aspect coming, plus some advanced versions of each, but those are the only ones in-game right now.

So those are the only ways to end a game, barring death/insanity/arrest/mundanity?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the writing in this is a thousand times better than the writing in sunless sea. maybe he can also get better at game design (or just pay someone to do it)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pro tip for never caring about fascination again:

Fascination is actually an influence, so if you aren't working you can slot it in with 8+ grail and a knock assistance, sacrifice it to Sunset Rite/Maps Edge, and get a Raw Prophet who can destroy evidence into the bargain. Dread is also an edge influence, so you can use it with high lantern or high winter to get a hint or maid-in-the-mirror respectively.

Also, you can summon with histories? gently caress!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

All he really needs to do is not require 8 clicks and a 60-second wait for every single action. Some things (e.g. buying books) should happen instantly, and others (doing your mundane job) should happen automatically unless you interrupt them. Painting is probably the worst since it takes a ridiculous number of clicks and drags and you have to do them all every single time you want to paint.

There are a couple of UI things that would be really nice, too, like making stats and mystique stack nicely, but those are marginal.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

megane posted:

All he really needs to do is not require 8 clicks and a 60-second wait for every single action. Some things (e.g. buying books) should happen instantly, and others (doing your mundane job) should happen automatically unless you interrupt them. Painting is probably the worst since it takes a ridiculous number of clicks and drags and you have to do them all every single time you want to paint.

There are a couple of UI things that would be really nice, too, like making stats and mystique stack nicely, but those are marginal.

i think the wait for a lot of stuff (buying books) is good, but there are a lot of annoying pauses for stuff like auctions. i should be able to click a button to toggle auctions to always be magnets for funds, or toggle a magnet for inspiration for painting, etc

cards should always go back to where they started and if theres an overlap between them and a currently hidden box, i should be able to toggle visibility to fix that. cards shouldn't loving scatter everywhere, use opacity to show that there are multiple cards on a spot that need to be fixed. stuff like scholar cards could be an upgrade that you just apply to study and can click on when you drag the book to the box. i get that he wants to keep the card game feeling and so using cards is important (so nothing cna be truly automated), but a lot of things are annoying busywork

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

TheBlandName posted:

It's intended because advanced painting explicitly warns you about that applying to any notoriety you use while painting.

Also summoned minions can be "Talked" to about literally any card (even though they only respond to a handful) so keeping a familiar around to preserve your Contentment, prevent an Illness from progressing, or provide Erudition during research is pretty dope.

is this not true anymore? i cant even talk to heart minions about notoriety and i thought they were supposed to dispose of it

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Worked fine for me.

Summoned minions can hold any card.

To get your Heart cultists to get rid of Notoriety you need to Talk to the Cultist about your Cult.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh, i misread that, im dumb. thank you

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

So those are the only ways to end a game, barring death/insanity/arrest/mundanity?

unless the hidden achievement is currently implemented, yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tehan posted:

'Colossal News'

Colossal Order is the company that makes Cities: Skylines. The possibilities range from 'Horizon Signal for Cities: Skylines' all the way to 'eldritch Lovecraftian citybuilder' and they're all magical.

:stare:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What’s the benefit of starting a cult other than Lantern/Forge/Grail if those are the aspects you need to win?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Using your better lore to promote cultists.

If I have 8 winter lore but 2 grail, the children of silence make a bit more sense.

Each cult also has a cult action exalts autosucceed at.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

But to win don’t you need to do a Rite using specific lore, or does it just need to be sufficiently high level of any aspect?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

What’s the benefit of starting a cult other than Lantern/Forge/Grail if those are the aspects you need to win?

theres not really...it feels weird there arent ways to win for each aspect. maybe there will be eventually

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I wish there was a longer internal cooldown on that heart affliction event. It feels like I keep getting it over and over again which greatly slows down the pace of the game for me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GulagDolls posted:

theres not really...it feels weird there arent ways to win for each aspect. maybe there will be eventually

Flip this around. What's the benefit of starting a cult in your victory aspect? The only thing it affects is what lore you use to promote followers and what cult business you can afford to go all in on- for everything else, summons are better. Lantern is probably the easiest for promotion, because you're guaranteed a Noonstone from the Forgotten Mithraeum, but Lantern's business is pretty dogshit. Grail's is pretty solid, but you can get all the prisoners you want by betraying hirelings. Forge at least gives you a steady supply of spintriae and low-level ingredients.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

But to win don’t you need to do a Rite using specific lore, or does it just need to be sufficiently high level of any aspect?

You do, but you can meet that requirement even if your cult isn’t founded on that aspect. It’s just slightly harder to do so.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just like the Sun-in-Rags. He seems like a cool Hour.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Flip this around. What's the benefit of starting a cult in your victory aspect?

being able to promote everyone to disciples faster, so you can do all the expeditions faster, because restlessness gives three grail/lantern/forge and spawns every two seconds

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there any good source of Knock or should I continue regretting my decision to found that cult?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

genericnick posted:

Is there any good source of Knock or should I continue regretting my decision to found that cult?

I have more Knock than anything else in my current run. Just keep at it.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

You can create Knock lore by subverting other lores with it really easily but don't burn up anything you might need.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What do Heart cultists do? Steal?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

They get rid of Mystique or Notoriety. They’re your PR people, basically.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

gently caress that would have been good to know before mine got murdered in an expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Heart Cultists do public relations. They eat Notoriety and Mystique at no risk.