Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Surely camera-girl's real solution is to murder her parents and pay off her loans with the inheritance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cumshitter posted:

Trusts are their own legal entities and even after the grantors die they have to be administered by a designated successor trustee. Typically it's a revocable living trust and when the grantor(s) dies you can do a step up in cost basis. That's when you reset the purchase price of stocks to the day of the grantor's death for the purpose of calculating capital gains.

Just power through the grieving process and install yourself as trustee ASAP from the date of death so you can liquidate with minimal capital gains.

"that's quite an act, what do you call it?"

"fiduciary duty!"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I had a friend in college who's parents were insanely controlling and crazy, to the point she told them to gently caress off, spent a year working as a waitress / applying for scholarships, then returned to college (she was smart as hell and lucked into something merit based or she'd have been hosed since her rear end in a top hat parents refused to admit they were no longer supporting her to the tax man)

anyways, this broke her parents brains. like legit, they went insane.

her parents literally stalked her. she had to get a restraining order. she couldn't register to vote or get a driver's liscence because they'd pay PIs to pull her address and show up.

they'd also drive around the area and the dad would just jump out of a car and beat her if he saw her. he managed that once, got arrested, restraining order, the works. the cops seemed to not care as much as they should

they showed up at one friend's house because she asked if she could ship some stuff there and they somehow traced it (!?) and were vaguely threatening

sadly this was pre-ubiquitous cameraphones so the cops would just shrug and be like "welp parents want to see their daughters and there's no proof :shrug:"

last i heard, they finally stopped when they tried muscling into a house party that facebook said she might be attending and the house owner marched them to the door at shotgun-point.

(they called the cops to complain and got arrested yet again, the most powerful of self owns)

cumshitter posted:

Trusts are their own legal entities and even after the grantors die they have to be administered by a designated successor trustee. Typically it's a revocable living trust and when the grantor(s) dies you can do a step up in cost basis. That's when you reset the purchase price of stocks to the day of the grantor's death for the purpose of calculating capital gains.

Just power through the grieving process and install yourself as trustee ASAP from the date of death so you can liquidate with minimal capital gains.

you can also draw a salary for administering the trust iirc, and it's a set % iirc

5% or whatever of a huge number is a decent number.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LooooooL

https://twitter.com/leahgraceee/status/1006642364767666176?s=19

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

boner confessor posted:

yes her parents are absolutely using the camera to police her morality and yes she should go gently caress at his place, what the hell

it's creepy but she is technically an adult and she can make decisions like turning down her parents money with strings attached or just dealing with not being able to gently caress in the apartment they pay for because they want to be the cum police

Nah, just cut two holes in a bedsheet and make the boyfriend put it on when he comes over. Then she should call her parents saying she thinks the condo is haunted.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The best/worst part is that the cameras in that condo are internet accessible and her parents almost certainly didn’t set up even the most basic of security measures on the cameras. That’s bad, because any weirdo perv can watch. That’s good, because it means if she wants it would be trivial for her to gently caress with camera settings or delete footage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It would be lovely if this were true.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or you act like an adult and tell them to gently caress off

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

https://twitter.com/leahgraceee/status/1006642440114229249?s=20

Lmao it all checks out

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

another /r/relationships success story

Barudak
May 7, 2007

An investigation into a powerful self own

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Should I (27F) tell my boss about my personality disorder?Personal issues (self.relationships)

quote:

Good afternoon world! Thanks to all who took the time to read this and offer advice.

I work in sales. I do mostly data/admin stuff, but occasionally work at events. I was brought on as a junior salesperson, but my boss and I have agreed that actual frontline sales isn’t the best fit. I’m super relieved – nothing makes me more anxious than having to dress up and smile and talk to strangers. My boss regularly compliments my work, praises my awareness and introspection, and has been helping me grow my career in this new direction.

My boss is so kind and understanding, and has an open door policy. However, early on, we had a bit of friction between us and she pointed out instances where I accidentally said or did rude things to her. I was very apologetic. However, yesterday, my boss’s boss pointed out to me that I come across as aloof, shy, and rude, through my physical mannerisms and through being quiet. After I told my boss about it, she went on to share that at a recent event, I was accidentally rude to clients, which I hadn’t even noticed. I’m incredibly embarrassed, and suspect that incidents like this are why they didn’t want me to do frontline sales.

Nobody at my job knows that I have struggled with severe mental health issues my whole life, and that this time last year, I was hospitalized after a psychotic break. During my hospitalization, I was diagnosed with a personality disorder. The disorder is not really well-understood by the general public and is really highly stigmatized in the media and online. The disorder includes constantly changing moods, inappropriate anger, and black and white thinking as applied to situations and people. Trying to manage this disorder is exhausting and challenging. I am medicated, in therapy, went to an outpatient program for two months to learn skills last summer, and am always trying to get better, but it has been hard. My moods shift constantly, my opinions on things change, and my feelings about myself change.

Part of the reason I appear rude, aloof, and cold is because I am constantly in my own head, trying to manage the flood of emotions that feel overpoweringly intense. This job is demanding and exhausting, even when I’m not face-to-face with clients, but I feel like I can handle it. What’s harder for me is keeping up good interpersonal relationships, or when I’m expected to be happy and sunny all the time. It’s just mentally so exhausting and challenging for me to even get out of bed and get myself to work sometimes. But I do my job and I do it well – except when it comes to other people.

I’m struggling with whether I should tell my boss that I have this disorder, or not. Pros of telling her: She could understand my personality a bit more, she could hopefully take things I do less personally, and she could help me find things to do at work that I’m better suited for. Cons of telling her: It is a highly stigmatized disorder so if she Googles it, she may get the wrong idea. I don’t want her to think I’m the wrong fit for the job, or let me go over this, especially when it feels like I’ve been doing well. We are constantly around clients, so I don’t want her to think I’m not able to do that.

Advice would be welcomed, thanks so much!

tl;dr: I'm doing well at my job, except my accidental rudeness is causing some issues. I'm wondering if I should tell my boss that I have a personality disorder, a symptom of which is changing moods, or if I should not tell her.

I love that people with borderline personality disorder have adopted the language of the disability rights movement. Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than someone with a mood disorder so severe they can't smile in their customer service role because of all the rage and emotions complaining they are unfairly seen as less capable. Nothing makes me smile like someone complaining that a disorder whose symptoms cause them to try to murder people for minor sleights is described is "stigmatizing"

[Borat voice]

NOT!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
[Ontario] Final update to Feeder Employee.

quote:

A lot of people asked to know how it went Monday, and I am both glad and sad to say Sarah has been let go without much ado.

I went into work early Monday morning and carefully packed and wrapped all of Sarah's stuff (she had a lot of knick-knacks), deactivated her door access codes and her employee e-mail/log in, took her name off all our official stuff as an employee and then was waiting with security when Sarah showed up for work.

I handed her the letter (checked and cleared by my lawyer late sunday night) and then the security guard handed her the box of her stuff. She opened the letter and quickly read through it and I watched all the color drained from her face when she saw the date I listed for the misuse of company property. I don't want to quote the letter too heavily for privacy, but it also said that she would receive her final paycheque via mail with the $200 removed for the professional floor cleaning, and that all material produced and resulting from the misuse of company property needed to be removed from any "online or physical media within 3 days" or I would have to pursue legal action.

At this point Sarah started to cry and it absolutely broke my heart, but she didn't make any argument (she didn't even say anything at all), but just handed over her employee badge and then she went back to her car sobbing without any incident.

I went back inside and broke the news to everyone else that Sarah had been caught in the misuse of company property and I had to let her go, and that a camera system would be installed this coming Friday. Everyone was pretty shocked, but I asked them to please refrain from discussing the incident as it was a confidential employment matter and they all agreed. Most of them just wanted to make sure I was okay, as apparently I looked a mess.

I'm taking my 3 days off work now, at home with my husband and our dog. I checked her fetlife account late Monday night and the photo set taken in the office has been wiped. Someone suggested I take my account offline for a bit, so I did (since I don't use it much anyways). I have cried a lot the past couple days now that the anger has pretty much gone out. Overall I still feel terrible about everything, but I suspect that will die out over time.

Again, thanks for all the sound advice and surprisingly deep support I received here. I know most of you are in it for the craziness of the journey, but everything you did is still appreciated.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

I've been in grad school man, yeah we love our free food but no one would steal from their friends for it, we'd just crash literally any campus event where refreshments were provided. That's above and beyond behavior, dude's just an rear end in a top hat.

iirc we had a similar story a while back with some winos that had a friend housesit and offered to let them have some and when they got back the person had like plowed through their whole rack or cellar or whatever. Some people just do that kind of thing.

I'm house-sitting right now and feel kind of guilty that I ate three or four cheese sticks that were in the refrigerator, and a few Rice Krispie treats. So to make up for it, I brought over two bottles of soda that the kids like so when they get back to town we'll have a nice treat.

Man, I remember babysitting when I was younger and the parents telling me the same thing, to make myself at home and eat whatever I want it kind of deal, and I always felt bad if I ate anything!

Although there was the time years ago, I house for a previous professor of mine, who's married to this really nice Japanese lady, and he told me, kind of laughing, to enjoy whatever they had in the house. The only thing in their freezer or refrigerator that had any English language on it was a packet of ketchup from McDonald's.

Edit: that nerd jerk dad who refuses to take any interest in his girls reminds me a lot of my dad. I was an Avid Reader when I was a kid, and still am, but when I was a kid it was all Stephen King or dragonriders of Pern, discworld, etc. The only books my dad has ever read were Louis L'Amour westerns, and he decided that the best way to bond with me was to threaten to throw away all of my fantasy garbage books as he called them, if he caught me reading them. Instead, I had to read one of his western books about the single daughter of some dude with 6 Sons. And yes, he quizzed me at the end of every chapter to make sure that I actually read it. Somehow, I did not become a fan of his western books, and went right back to the fantasy novels as soon as I was done reading that one horrible one. He made no secret about the fact that I had chosen poorly, and refused to have much to do with me throughout most of my childhood, other than to criticize me nonstop.

Now me, I don't have kids of my own, but I'm the official auntie and godmother of two kids I nannied for from pretty much their entire childhoods. The girl is definitely more into Star Wars, but loved watching Transformers Beast Wars with me, but that doesn't mean that was all we ever did. A lot of the stuff she wanted to watch or read, was nowhere near anything I was interested in, but you do what you do for family because you love them, not just because it benefits your interests.

The fact that dude has three daughters is really sad, but I can't imagine he'd be any better with a son.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 13, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Does anyone remember the saga of the goon who had no job functions? Because this /r/legaladvice saga reminds me of it:

I have become a forgotten employees for a few months at my job. I want to start a new job and wondering legal ramifications. xpost from r/jobs
(self.legaladvice)

quote:

This is in Texas.

About a year ago I was "fired" for something I did not do. Basically they thought I was stealing from the company and had me fired in the system before they informed me in person.

When they caught the real thief, literally 5 minutes before I got the axe, I got called into HR where they apologized to me profusely and told me they would be working to reinstate me without losing my tenure or my vacation time. They asked me if there was anything they could do in the mean time. I asked for the vacation right then and there which made HR real happy because me being gone for 2 weeks made it easy for them to unfuck the situation.

While on vacation I broke my leg and was wheelchair bound for a month. When I informed HR of this they offered me the satellite office for temporary use since it was literally one block away and I could get there safely using my wheelchair.

The company had a satellite office close to my house that was basically just 2 rooms. One had a desk power socket and internet access and the other was the bathroom. The office was purchased for an exec who was wheelchair bound because of cancer. The office stayed empty for a few months when her cancer went terminal and eventually she passed on. When I was offered it they moved my PC and everything out there getting me set up.

That was the last time I have had any face to face with anyone in the company. Even after my leg healed I did not return to the normal building. I stayed in the office until HR wanted to move someone else in.

Well that never came.
Five months ago my department was shuttered. My boss, several employees, and a few other management people were quietly let go. Some kind of thing happened at the top that caused a lot of people to be let go. By this time I was pretty much using the office as a second home and had not had any real contact with anyone outside of emails and the occasional phone call.

Once this happened I was just coming in to work everyday completing my tasks until they stopped coming. Then I just came in every day waiting until the hammer fell. It never did.

I have been coming in every single day, walking since its only a 5 minute walk unless its raining, hooking up my gaming laptop and hopping on discord with my friends to play. Sometimes I will bring my ps4 or xbone into the office and play that too.

I have been using this office and collecting a paycheck for the last 5ish months with no contact other than the company wide emails and former coworkers of mine calling me asking how things are going. To put it into context of how much I have stopped caring, when I told my girlfriend about my job situation she came to visit me at work. I will keep it G rated here for you guys and will let you use your imaginations as to the nature of her visit. I do not state this to brag but merely to pain the picture of how things are at my current "job"

All of this brings us to today. I have been using my free time to also study for several PC certs and have finally acquired them. I am getting job offers for a few places that will be a pretty big step up from my current position.

What are the pros and cons of taking the new jobs without "quitting" my first job?
I know that technically I am currently in the clear legally. But I want to know if that changes if I start working at another job and collecting two paychecks? I am guessing very much yes but wanted to know more. Does the situation change if one of the companies allows me to work from home and I use my office to work at both jobs?

Yes I know I am being incredibly greedy but I am legitimately wondering here cause its like a very lucky situation I find myself in and it would be a complete waste to throw it away without a good reason. As in I could get in legal trouble is a very good reason to throw it all away and work at the new job.

UPDATE: I am a forgotten employee who has been "working" for over a year. I got found out.
(self.legaladvice)

quote:

I post this a year ago: [SNIP]

Since that time I got denied for the second job and basically been coasting by until I landed another position and turned in my two weeks notice.

Recently I found a position at a tech firm that will allow me to work from home, is easier than what I used to do, and pays more. Basically tired of doing nothing even though Im getting paid for it.

The day after I mailed the keys to the satellite office back to the corporate office I got a phone call exactly at 8 AM. The head of HR for the former company wanted to speak with me in person. I asked her if there were any issues such as equipment that was not returned. She stated that there were no issues like that. They just had some questions about my job function over the last year.

I told her that they should have that information as head of HR and promptly disconnected stating I had to return back to work. She called back at 12:05 exactly.

I have been ducking her calls ever since. Her voicemails state that I am required to come into her office to discuss a few things. My emails with her have asked if there is anything that needs to be returned or issues with company property. Each time I am assured it is nothing like that, but that they need me to come into their office to discuss this with me in person. She calls at least once per day.

I am thinking I just need to ignore her until she either escalates or goes away.

How incredibly bad is that plan? Before anyone says it. I know... I know ok I should have quit a long time ago. I did not.

EDIT: Texas

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Caganer posted:

she's obviously going to dump him and date the car

My [26 F] company is threatening to fire me over my hair. How do I explain to my employers [40s? F+F] that it looks this way due to a medical issue?

Just shave your head. Jesus lady

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Caganer posted:

Does anyone remember the saga of the goon who had no job functions? Because this /r/legaladvice saga reminds me of it:

I have become a forgotten employees for a few months at my job. I want to start a new job and wondering legal ramifications. xpost from r/jobs
(self.legaladvice)

UPDATE: I am a forgotten employee who has been "working" for over a year. I got found out.
(self.legaladvice)

I... don't think they can do anything to him? He quit, what are they gonna do, fire him?

At any rate I used to have a job where I basically did nothing (the head of engineering left like a month after I joined, and his replacement decided we weren't going to do the thing I'd been hired to do, so I spent like two years writing tools nobody used and eventually I stopped giving a poo poo) and it was in fact driving me loving insane so I don't blame him for moving on

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

loquacius posted:

I... don't think they can do anything to him? He quit, what are they gonna do, fire him?

At any rate I used to have a job where I basically did nothing (the head of engineering left like a month after I joined, and his replacement decided we weren't going to do the thing I'd been hired to do, so I spent like two years writing tools nobody used and eventually I stopped giving a poo poo) and it was in fact driving me loving insane so I don't blame him for moving on

There's a concept in employment law called "engaged to work". It's mostly used in the context of hourly employees - basically if you're at the jobsite waiting on assignments, and required to do so, you must be paid.

That, in combination with the fact that many, many tech firms use being put on "the bench" as an indirect firing method, means there is not much they can do.

If they were smart, they'd fire him for insubordination for not doing the phone call they requested, since he mentioned putting in 2 weeks.

But we've established they are not that smart. :shrug:

Even the lawyers seem to agree with me. They all tell him not to talk on the phone (since you can be sued for anything regardless of merit) but that's your standard "don't talk to cops"

(HR are basically cops)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

Plus it’s only a matter of time before someone noticed, so smart of the guy to figure out his next gig while enjoying the ride.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

fruit on the bottom posted:

Plus it’s only a matter of time before someone noticed, so smart of the guy to figure out his next gig while enjoying the ride.

The best is it's actually illegal to retaliate against someone for quitting (violating at will employment laws). So unless they can articulate specific misconduct saying he was a "bad" employee etc will probably lead to a payday

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of the tale of a goon who realised he no longer had any actual job duties.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't understand why he put in two weeks. That was a risky move. Maybe his new contract had an exclusivity thing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

they could try to go after him for fraud if he knowingly cashed a paycheck without having any job duties. he definitely needs to lawyer up and not talk to anyone, depending on what his pay rate was he just needs to be more trouble than he's worth to go after. this isn't a slam dunk but depending on how much money they paid him in error it might be worth it to try to claw some of it back

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boner confessor posted:

they could try to go after him for fraud if he knowingly cashed a paycheck without having any job duties. he definitely needs to lawyer up and not talk to anyone, depending on what his pay rate was he just needs to be more trouble than he's worth to go after. this isn't a slam dunk but depending on how much money they paid him in error it might be worth it to try to claw some of it back

At the same time, he was given paychecks without being fired. Even if he had no job duties, I can see a judge simply going "That's your problem if you didn't fire him" and letting him keep all the money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
He says somewhere in the comments that someone was signing off on his timecards, which makes me suspect it's a combination of them trying to trick him into admitting fraud & them going after whoever kept mindlessly going "yeah he worked that much, go pay him."

The latter's 100% not his problem and the risk of the former means he shouldn't say poo poo, though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah like, he technically should have notified people he'd stopped getting assignments, but I don't think that's legally enforcible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not a crime to get paid to sit there and not actually work on anything specific given that nothing was assigned for you to do other than be present.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HR is hounding him only because if the company cant claw back from this guy its gonna claw the flesh it wants right outta HRs rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude's freaking out too much, mountain out of a molehill. Every company of medium size or above has had "6 mos worth of paying someone worthless or worse than worthless" in structural inefficiency, just fix it, it's not a big deal. Make him start working or let him go as redundant or w/e.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Barudak posted:

HR is hounding him only because if the company cant claw back from this guy its gonna claw the flesh it wants right outta HRs rear end

Yeah, I think the company has suddenly realized that they made a massive gently caress-up (they intended to fire him but completely forgot that he was shoved off in some empty building) and are trying to save face by finding a way to pin it on anyone but their own stupidity.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't understand why he put in two weeks. That was a risky move. Maybe his new contract had an exclusivity thing.

apparently it makes it easier to claim fraud if you use their resources to do another job or don't show up to jobsite

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Remember that spanish guy where they tried to award him a long service award only to discover that he hadn't shown up to work for six years?

The toughest punishment they could give him was a $30,000 fine, but they'd payed him $41,500 a year for six years, so he still made $219,000 profit out of it.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Just found out BF (20M) looks at lolicon porn and I (19F) don’t know what to do

quote:

So my bf and I were texting today and we were talking about sex trafficking and why I understand mom’s being scared to let younger teenage girls go to the mall alone etc. and he brought up about how when he was 14 he looked up CP because he was 14 and that’s what he was attracted to and is still kind of grossed out by ever doing

He then cracked a joke about how he “Still likes the lolis”. I have trouble with sarcasm over txt so later I asked him if he actually looked at porn featuring young anime girls, which he ignored and then eventually ended the conversation without ending. This made me concerned so I tried calling him and didn’t get a text back until later. He answered a different question I had so I repeated my question if he was being serious and he replied “Can we talk about this later?”

I immediately knew that meant yes, but I asked him to just give me a yes or no before he went fishing since I didn’t want to jump to conclusions.

He answered with “Is it that big of a deal if I do it every now and then?”

Listen I used to watch anime back in my day and I don’t really care about porn, it’s just the child aspect that gets me. Because he insisted on going I didn’t even get a chance to make him clarify, was it just high school girls, middle school, actual children?? How often? I feel so in the dark and I know immediately if I tell any of my friends they’ll be disgusted and hate him for it, which is why I’m posting here.

Do you think there is a solid difference between real CP and hentai featuring underaged characters? Also he was supposed to come tmrw and visit me (hour drive) but rescheduled for Friday, no conflicts he just thought it’d be more fun to come down on a weekend, would it be overreacting if I asked him to stick with coming down tmrw so we can talk about this? I just really don’t know how to feel.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

La Brea Carpet posted:

Just found out BF (20M) looks at lolicon porn and I (19F) don’t know what to do

What are the odds on there being a pedo lurking the reddit thread that gives the OP an answer besides "Leave him immediately and block him on everything"?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
very high

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, he was given paychecks without being fired. Even if he had no job duties, I can see a judge simply going "That's your problem if you didn't fire him" and letting him keep all the money.

it could go either way. like, the company had a duty to ensure they were getting their money's worth, but at the same time if this dude was fully aware that he was 'fired' and was being given no responsibilities yet continued to draw a check, cashing those checks could be seen as fraud

he's probably safe if he shut up and routed all communication through a lawyer

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean he had some guy actually sign off on his time cards, I can't see them getting him for fraud for cashing the checks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xun posted:

I mean he had some guy actually sign off on his time cards, I can't see them getting him for fraud for cashing the checks.

not unless he goes to HR and admits on a hidden camera that yes he did know he was fired and yes he did cash the checks and no he didn't tell anyone and

if someone writes you a check in error and you cash it and refuse to give the money back that's fraud. now if they write you a few dozen checks in error, that's more their fault, but still

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s not like this guy was actually fired and found some way to trick them into giving him money. They made a mistake and forgot he was part of a closed department and continued signing off on all the “Yes, this is an employee and this is his money” paperwork. He was never fired because you need to actually process an employee as “fired”. Employees don’t have to assume that they’re fired because everyone else is if they don’t get a notice.

Judges tend to look poorly on companies trying to insist that all their paperwork is a mistake and shouldn’t count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Employees don’t have to assume that they’re fired because everyone else is if they don’t get a notice.

this is why they're trying to get him to come in and explain exactly how fired he knew that he was to HR

"look, we'll give you your two weeks, we just need you to come in and sign some paperwork" *prints out my_crimes.docx* "its just a formality"