Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The real problem is that 291/365 (might be slightly off, cause this is from memory) applications were rejected retroactively now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Someone’s gonna get guns taken from their cold dead hands

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Someone’s gonna get guns taken from their cold dead hands

And the nice user lady who just wasn't good with computers is going to cop some really heinous federal charges for failing to follow federal firearms laws.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

And the nice user lady who just wasn't good with computers is going to cop some really heinous federal charges for failing to follow federal firearms laws.

Can't log in, better just not do my job for a year.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

Can't log in, better just not do my job for a year.

Where do I sign up?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

FW: Your Office 365 password is expiring posted:

On June 11, 2018 @ 12:25 pm, Sales Guy wrote:
Please advise
Thank you,
Sales Guy

>From: Microsoft Office 365 Tech Support [mailto:support@office366.com]

:thunk:

At least he asked, I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They only use that email address during leap years.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

*New to us! The spares were made in 2012!

For nothing else it is worth watching EoS dates on these things and doing periodic reboots / upgrades/ power cycles so you can weed out failures and get them RMAd before you can’t. FWIW when I started my job I did replacements including repatching and repunching for tens of thousands of ports and hundreds of switches. Tends to suck unless the janitors have invaded the room and put a chair or fan in it or something.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A ticket came in: "Remove pregnancy for user."

Fortunately that's shorthand for a course on processing pregnancy tests. Aborting anything more than processes is way out of scope.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Something something loss joke

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/vmyths/status/1005213135353999361
https://twitter.com/vmyths/status/1005264927710437377

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Of course they've just bcrypted each character with a salt, so they can tell, right?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jaded Burnout posted:

Of course they've just bcrypted each character with a salt, so they can tell, right?

What does your heart tell you?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Oh come on.

We all know the answer to this question.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zil posted:

What does your heart tell you?

To stop eating so many sausages.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
But think of all the taxpayer money we saved by going with the lowest bidder!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

But think of all the taxpayer money we saved by going with the lowest bidder!

My experience has been that the amount bid in a government contract is inversely proportional to the quality of the product.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

To stop eating so many sausages.

My heart tells me to eat more sausages. Gotta die young so I don't need to worry about saving for retirement.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

My experience has been that the amount bid in a government contract is inversely proportional to the quality of the product.

I read an article a few years ago about the NYC Transit system that amounted to this. They wanted to upgrade a portion of the rail system and gave the contract job to the lowest bidder.

The short version is that the project ended up seriously late and horribly over budget as a result of the lowest bidder being the lowest bidder because they had no idea how to actually do the job. Then the MTA said, hey we learned our lesson so NEXT TIME we're gonna do better. So they went into the next phase of the project, and awarded the bid to the same company who hosed it up the last time, because they were the lowest bidder again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 12, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Renegret posted:

I read an article a few years ago about the NYC Transit system that amounted to this. They wanted to upgrade a portion of the rail system and gave the contract job to the lowest bidder.

The short version is that the project ended up seriously late and horribly over budget as a result of the lowest bidder being the lowest bidder because they had no idea how to actually do the job. Then the MTA said, hey we learned our lesson so NEXT TIME we're gonna do better. So they went into the next phase of the project, and awarded the bid to the same company who hosed it up the last time, because they were the lowest bidder again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

america needs to ban the lowest bidder practice, and go with best value, ie cheapest + history of getting poo poo done right.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wargames posted:

america needs to ban the lowest bidder practice, and go with best value, ie cheapest + history of getting poo poo done right.

iirc we (meaning the US gov't) used to write huge penalties into contracts if dates were missed and other stuff like that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In the UK they get a tech architect to draw four big boxes on a whiteboard with component names on and write "IBM, £100m", "Capita, £300m" next to them, job done.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This is a tangled web because harsh penalties or huge bonds push business toward a few large firms that can afford them. That in turn creates a situation where you only have a couple megacontractors. Those large contractors can afford to eat small penalties, and nobody has the will to impose large ones, because you might put one of your 2-3 megacontractors out of business, and then you've just made the oligopoly worse.

Off the top of my head, the solution that suggests itself is to add a third party responsible for auditing progress and ensuring the success of the contract. They'd need to be well capitalized and to understand the subject matter, but they wouldn't be involved in actual service delivery. They'd rate the proposals and the bidders themselves and provide quotes for insuring the success of each bid. Those insurance costs could then be added to the actual bid costs to come up with a final price. Large companies with bad practices would still be in the running so long as they could afford insurance rates, but smaller and/or newer players could compete fairly for business provided they could demonstrate competence to the insurers.

I have no idea how you could get that off the ground, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:lol: When I complained about my previous employer requiring a change in at least one of the first six characters of the password, this whole thread was falling over itself to say it was fine and no of course the password wasn't stored in plaintext.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is a tangled web because harsh penalties or huge bonds push business toward a few large firms that can afford them. That in turn creates a situation where you only have a couple megacontractors. Those large contractors can afford to eat small penalties, and nobody has the will to impose large ones, because you might put one of your 2-3 megacontractors out of business, and then you've just made the oligopoly worse.

Off the top of my head, the solution that suggests itself is to add a third party responsible for auditing progress and ensuring the success of the contract. They'd need to be well capitalized and to understand the subject matter, but they wouldn't be involved in actual service delivery. They'd rate the proposals and the bidders themselves and provide quotes for insuring the success of each bid. Those insurance costs could then be added to the actual bid costs to come up with a final price. Large companies with bad practices would still be in the running so long as they could afford insurance rates, but smaller and/or newer players could compete fairly for business provided they could demonstrate competence to the insurers.

I have no idea how you could get that off the ground, though.

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/agile-delivery/apply-for-approval-to-spend-money-on-a-service

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

That would still be a very bad idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't the GDS start off as a good idea and then got hosed over a few years back? Something along the lines of wanting to go with small UK startups for web services that needed developing but ending up being pushed towards the normal Capita, Atos etc. I need my memory jogging.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Geemer posted:

:lol: When I complained about my previous employer requiring a change in at least one of the first six characters of the password, this whole thread was falling over itself to say it was fine and no of course the password wasn't stored in plaintext.

I don't remember your specific incident, but most password change forms require you to also type in your current password, which is what allows the system to test that criteria.

The example in the tweet does not do this.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't the GDS start off as a good idea and then got hosed over a few years back? Something along the lines of wanting to go with small UK startups for web services that needed developing but ending up being pushed towards the normal Capita, Atos etc. I need my memory jogging.

They're being slowly dismantled to the gloating of The Register, yes. Usual Whitehall power struggles; the departments don't want central government controlling them.

The Digital Marketplace is still a thing allowing smaller companies to bid for jobs and the in-house staff are still scrappy, but the writing's been on the wall for a while since Home Office, DWP and HMRC are standing around with knives and forks.

DCMS used to stand for "Department of Culture, Media, and Sport", but what a surprise after their former director took over GDS the D suddenly stood for "Digital".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

I don't remember your specific incident, but most password change forms require you to also type in your current password, which is what allows the system to test that criteria.

The example in the tweet does not do this.

Pretty much this, if the user provides the password in plaintext in the PW change form, you can trivially validate it against the salted hashed stored password, then do all your rule checking using the plaintext copy of new and old password. If it doesn't ask for old password, then yeah password is probably plaintext somewhere.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
At my job there's a couple websites that all use the same username and password. On one site, the password must be at least 8 characters but on the other, it can be at most 8 characters. However, if the user has a password longer than 8 characters, they can just type in the first 8 characters and get into the second site. Also, though I've never personally confirmed this, I have it on good authority that on the second site the password field is not case sensitive, but the username field is.

Finance!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess as long as you can just buy insurance against hideously insecure security practises there will always be people who see that as the easier/cheaper option

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wargames posted:

This is a misnomer really. Especially in New York. You have to write criteria to your RFP and weight the response categories so the cost isn’t necessarily overriding.

However , if you write the RFP like a dope using the copy and paste method or don’t understand what you’re writing it for, then the cost category can effectively drive selection.

tl;dr: don’t hate the game hate the player

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Nah it was always run by a bunch of Nathan Barley types fixated on the idea that no one outside Shoreditch "gets" the web.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nah it was always run by a bunch of Nathan Barley types fixated on the idea that no one outside Shoreditch "gets" the web.
American translation much appreciated, please and thank you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aunt Beth posted:

American translation much appreciated, please and thank you.
TBH just read literally any of these. They're the only reason I know that Shoreditch exists.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nathan Barley is an uncomfortably true portrayal of the worst of the East London startup personality. I think it's on Amazon Prime in the US, only 6x 30 minute episodes. Written by Charlie Brooker of Black Mirror fame, and Chris Morris who did Four Lions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Nathan Barley is an uncomfortably true portrayal of the worst of the East London startup personality. I think it's on Amazon Prime in the US, only 6x 30 minute episodes. Written by Charlie Brooker of Black Mirror fame, and Chris Morris who did Four Lions.

Sounds like a British Silicon Valley.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Partycat posted:

This is a misnomer really. Especially in New York. You have to write criteria to your RFP and weight the response categories so the cost isn’t necessarily overriding.

However , if you write the RFP like a dope using the copy and paste method or don’t understand what you’re writing it for, then the cost category can effectively drive selection.

tl;dr: don’t hate the game hate the player
We've done local government work that's tendered the same way and it doesn't matter how it's weighted in the document - everyone knows going into it that cost will be the biggest factor in selection. You need an amazing proposal to shift the selection process off the bottom line even if it's only meant to be ~20% of the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

But back in the day when phones still had buttons