Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I like how the answer to "make these Mogstation items account-wide" was literally "no, give us more money". But hey, the motorcycle is finally making it to the game.

I missed the liveletter, we're getting Cloud's Motorcycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Think I'm gonna resub soon and I'm thinking about playing a new job. Played a bunch of Red Mage before taking a break.

Someone sell me on Bard, because it's between that and maybe Black Mage, but I'm not sold on Black Mage's really long cast times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

Think I'm gonna resub soon and I'm thinking about playing a new job. Played a bunch of Red Mage before taking a break.

Someone sell me on Bard, because it's between that and maybe Black Mage, but I'm not sold on Black Mage's really long cast times.

Bard is insanely loving fun, procs all day every day

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I missed the liveletter, we're getting Cloud's Motorcycle?

This year's fanfest item, along with 3 unrevealed minions that will depend on which region's fanfest you go to.

The mount and minions will also be on the mogstation this time instead of requiring you to buy a fanfest ticket.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Are there new glams from the liveletter? My catman needs more clothes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I actually got matched with multiple people on Chocobo Race and they all lost to Choco Meteors, it was a great day.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's plate spinning the job, you keep your dots and buffs up and spam heavy shot until something procs. Movement has no effect on you and ranged DPS have some of the best glamour options in the game

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Is machinist any more or less difficult than bard? I normally play SAM, but I kind of feel like leveling something new.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Is machinist any more or less difficult than bard? I normally play SAM, but I kind of feel like leveling something new.

Ahahahahahahaha

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Arist posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Between this and never seeing MCH in trials/dungeons, maybe I should just level bard...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I wouldn't say Machinist is any harder than any other class as it's all pushing buttons in the correct order, but it sure is way more stringent during a 10 second window while being completely boring as hell outside of it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You wouldn't be playing an mmo if you didn't already hate yourself, so whats the difference

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The impression I have gotten is that Bard and Machinist require similar amounts of effort, it's just that Machinist's effort is all compressed into your ten second Wildfire window. And if you miss it, either because you fumbled a power or the boss goes invincible before your Wildfire actually goes off or whatever, your damage falls in the toilet and it's hard to recover.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
MCH is infinitely more playable now than it was in HW though so that's a plus

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

This year's fanfest item, along with 3 unrevealed minions that will depend on which region's fanfest you go to.

The mount and minions will also be on the mogstation this time instead of requiring you to buy a fanfest ticket.

Well drat, I need that in my life right this instant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MechaCrash posted:

The impression I have gotten is that Bard and Machinist require similar amounts of effort, it's just that Machinist's effort is all compressed into your ten second Wildfire window. And if you miss it, either because you fumbled a power or the boss goes invincible before your Wildfire actually goes off or whatever, your damage falls in the toilet and it's hard to recover.

Your damage falls into the toilet, but the penalty for a failed Wildfire is not nearly as punishing as it was before (10 seconds/60 second recast now, vs 15 seconds/90 second recast before) and half of the MCH rotation is dedicated to keeping Wildfire stepping along lockstep, so recovery isn't an issue either.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MCH is hard to learn, easy to master, while BRD is easy to learn, hard to master.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was talking on Discord about this but I’ve been leveling MCH via PotD this week and BOY DOES IT FEEL BAD TO PLAY.

If you level MCH, do not try to make any sense out of the buttons or rotation. The best way to play MCH until lvl 70 is just mash whichever buttons look prettiest or suit your mood. Mashing buttons is how you play until 70.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
BRD had lots of buttons to push ahhhok the time with no breaks in its rotation.
MCH has a long break then a short do or die window before another long break.

E: ^Mord is correct, MCH really wants its full kit badly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You don't really ever want to sync MCH below 70, ever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just don't play MCH. It's an unfun class, it's been unfun for two expansions now, maybe it'll be fun in the next expansion. But not now.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Asimo posted:

Just don't play MCH. It's an unfun class, it's been unfun for two expansions now, maybe it'll be fun in the next expansion. But not now.

So you are saying they made Magitech flamethrowers tedious. Somehow.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unfortunately, yes. :smith:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Flamethrower is my least favorite mch button. I do not want it to be my least favorite button, but it is definitely my least favorite button.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MCH is actually fun; don't let the haters dissuade you. :colbert:

But yeah, it's lacking at lower levels. It gets better in the 60s when you can manage your heat.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Heat is the worst part of MCH. The flamethrower-a weapon that shoots liquid burning heat-is the epitome of everything bad with MCH. The class is so poorly designed that it makes flamethrowers not fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenik posted:

Heat is the worst part of MCH. The flamethrower-a weapon that shoots liquid burning heat-is the epitome of everything bad with MCH. The class is so poorly designed that it makes flamethrowers not fun.

To be fair, when are video game flamethrowers fun? They're always super short ranged, eat ammo like a fat kid eats lalafell, and that ammo is always super rare.

I think all the HW classes, only being available when you reach Ishgard but starting at level 30, are mistakes in that regard and deserve an overhaul, either start at a higher level or are available pre-Ishgard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uhh, no way am I ditching my bros Fray and Jannequinard

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eureka is good.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, when are video game flamethrowers fun? They're always super short ranged, eat ammo like a fat kid eats lalafell, and that ammo is always super rare.

There is definitely games with cool and fun flamethrower mechanics, like the drakefire flamethrower that the dwarf can use in Vermintide 2 comes to mind.

As for FFXIV, I play nearly every class and enjoy them all to some extent, except for machinist that is, I just can't seem to find any fun about the class that I can't get on others with much less hassle.

Come to think of it, all the HW jobs are at the bottom of the classes for me, with mch being the lowest by far.
I'm happy they did so much better with the new SB jobs and I hope they look to redesign the HW jobs to be as much fun and interesting in a future patch or expansion .

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Eureka is good.

Source your quotes

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

You wouldn't be playing an mmo if you didn't already hate yourself, so whats the difference

They're not wrong.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Eureka is good.

I went looking for a guide on how to gear up at 70 quickly. The 2nd step of the guide was 'grind Eureka until you can buy a weapon'.

It was real bad and I gave up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cythereal posted:

I think all the HW classes, only being available when you reach Ishgard but starting at level 30, are mistakes in that regard and deserve an overhaul, either start at a higher level or are available pre-Ishgard.

TF2

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, when are video game flamethrowers fun?

someone hasn't played warframe

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Source your quotes

Cabbit posted:

I went looking for a guide on how to gear up at 70 quickly. The 2nd step of the guide was 'grind Eureka until you can buy a weapon'.

It was real bad and I gave up.

You just follow the train and its painless as hell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it also takes about 3 billion times longer than alternatives

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Machinist is fun and pretty simple and has the best combat animations in the game at 50 heat which is fun.

If you like feeling like a panicked engineer mashing switches and checking gauges constantly to ensure everything is running on time thats the core gameplay loop as I'd describe it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The one real trick besides always using your reload and gauss rifle cooldowns because they're so short is loading ammo and rapidfire and then overheating with flamethrower, which you can then cancel and start your big boom wildfire faster than if you overheated with a regular attack. It's not something the game will ever teach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You just follow the train and its painless as hell.

I can't follow the train. The train has mounts and aethernet access and is level 20, whereas I'm level 5, stuck on foot, and everything can one-shot me.

The guide said to just follow the train but I might as well be trying to keep up with an actual locomotive.