Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it's extremely obvious that Donny went into this summit with zero plan and zero coordination with anyone, and then agreed to everything Kim said because he's a a loving idiot bobblehead.

Same but his presidency as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

He flew on a Chinese-operated 747.

Makes sense. I read an article a month or two ago that said they were shopping around for help because they basically have no planes capable of making trans-oceanic flights.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I look forward to serving a 10 year prison sentence for making fun of Christians.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I was thinking hours, tbh

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

They could be catch-up from operations from previous years, i.e. they recently put up 3 stars for CIA officers who died in a plane crash in Laos in 1961, because their operation was still highly classified, and its existence couldn't even be acknowledged until recently.

Yo I'm sure that information could still cause catastrophic harm to national security more than 60 years after it happened, 45 years after we lost the Vietnam war, and almost 30 years after the collapse of the soviet union.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Bandwidth caps.

ATT doesn't have bandwidth caps on their gigabit fiber plans. :smug:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

ATT doesn't have bandwidth caps on their gigabit fiber plans. :smug:

Congrats on paying $90 a month I guess?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Congrats on paying $90 a month I guess?

poo poo, $90 for gigabit fiber is pretty cheap.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

poo poo, $90 for gigabit fiber is pretty cheap.

Yeah, would do that in a heartbeat if it were available.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

They just offered it where I live, but 100 Mbps lets me stream 1080p video just fine so whats the point? Maybe when 4k becomes the standard, but by then there will probably be 10 gig and 1 gig will be cheap tier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xenoborg posted:

They just offered it where I live, but 100 Mbps lets me stream 1080p video just fine so whats the point? Maybe when 4k becomes the standard, but by then there will probably be 10 gig and 1 gig will be cheap tier.

:ironicat: do you think this is Norway or something where they just hand out bandwidth at reasonable prices without bullshit conditions?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

There's basically no consumer routers, let alone switches, that support 10gbps connectivity to the desktop right now, nor will there be any time in the near future. Even enterprise grade access switches for the most part only support 1gbps access ports with 10gbps for uplink.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Yo I'm sure that information could still cause catastrophic harm to national security more than 60 years after it happened, 45 years after we lost the Vietnam war, and almost 30 years after the collapse of the soviet union.

Overclassification is a hell of a drug.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

psydude posted:

There's basically no consumer routers, let alone switches, that support 10gbps connectivity to the desktop right now, nor will there be any time in the near future. Even enterprise grade access switches for the most part only support 1gbps access ports with 10gbps for uplink.

Fair point, but I still claim at present there isn't much to gain with 1 gig fiber vs 100 meg cable. Multiple users not throttling each other I guess.

Also I'm in Oklahoma City now, I figured if we have fiber both coasts and every major city must already have it too. $90/month was AT&T's price.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

The soviet union didn’t collapse. It was a covert reorganization to prepare to actually win the Cold War in 2018/2019.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On :ice:

More of a history question though...

At what point in the late 1930s did the gestapo go from legitimate police agents of a sovereign nation to criminals. Because there was obviously some moral transition point before war kicked off where they weren’t yet legally war criminals but still guilty of crimes against humanity.

And at what point could they theoretically have rolled back their policies and been forgiven for their violent indiscretions.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
they played us like a god damned fiddle

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Fair point, but I still claim at present there isn't much to gain with 1 gig fiber vs 100 meg cable. Multiple users not throttling each other I guess.

Also I'm in Oklahoma City now, I figured if we have fiber both coasts and every major city must already have it too. $90/month was AT&T's price.

Oh sure, pay for what you need. I'm just saying that consumer networking products have kind of capped out at 1gbps, so expect that to become the standard for at least the next 10 years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mods change my name posted:

they played us like a god damned fiddle

It takes skill to play a fiddle, we got played like a cheap kazoo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

At what point in the late 1930s did the gestapo go from legitimate police agents of a sovereign nation to criminals. Because there was obviously some moral transition point before war kicked off where they weren’t yet legally war criminals but still guilty of crimes against humanity.

And at what point could they theoretically have rolled back their policies and been forgiven for their violent indiscretions.

See: the US circa 2018

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm not too familiar with networking, so is it a recent thing that internet speeds have bumped up into LAN speeds? Back in the days of ISDN and early cable I recall LAN speeds being like two orders of magnitude faster.

Is there something that is preventing 10 gig ethernet from being common? Anything new I've seen at in the aerospace world has been 1 gig, but then again we still are making new 1553 busses, so thats probably not a great barometer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

See: the US circa 2018

Well yeah, but I’m trying to quantify the real red lines that are being crossed and their historical analog. Because the outcome of the midterms is going to affect this a lot, and if it can even be reversed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Xenoborg posted:

Is there something that is preventing 10 gig ethernet from being common? Anything new I've seen at in the aerospace world has been 1 gig, but then again we still are making new 1553 busses, so thats probably not a great barometer.

Yes, you start running into physical limits of electromagnetic s and copper. Much like how CPU speed has f increased much lately like it did through the past few decades. The next step for bandwidth is optical and that technology is still extremely expensive and specialized to large networks and servers.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't have an answer for the history question, which is a good one, but the question of forgiveness intrigues me (even if that wasn't where you were going with it). I generally advise mercy, but someone has to be at your mercy before you can really be merciful to them. So at what point can the gestapo or the slavecatcher or the ICE agent be forgiven? When they're at the mercy of their victims, starting with the most vulnerable. If that never happens, any forgiveness they might get will always be questionable.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

M_Gargantua posted:

I think it was the annexation of Austria

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Gestapo was the combination of multiple Prussian state security agencies, however, for the most part, the Gestapo itself was specifically always invented to do pseudo-criminal things and do counter-intel (which they were really, really bad at)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Strictly speaking I'd say they became criminals in May of 1945.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
UH north korea is saying that trump agreed to lift sanctions on them lmfao

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-a8396251.html

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

What you meant to post was “Trump agreed to lift sanctions on NK”

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NK now part of NATO, G8, Trump tweets

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's almost like international diplomacy should be handled professionally so the other guy can't make up poo poo and force you to react to whatever they want to complicate things for the other side.

Nah gently caress that, gently caress them, and gently caress you. I'll poo poo my pants on the world stage because preparation is for pussies and I'm a bigly deal maker who knows more about everything and anything than anyone else within a minute of walking in the room.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally posted:

Strictly speaking I'd say they became criminals in May of 1945.

I’d say the same, and not from a base-level “history is written by the victors” take.

There’s a lot of bad poo poo going on right now that, if we as a country survive this period, will be hard to be written about positively or even explain rationally in future history books. Trump’s presidency is hopefully the end result of a long, slow slide into insanity that began with 9/11 and deepened when we sent a well-spoken black man to the White House.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Trump’s presidency is hopefully the end result of a long, slow slide into insanity that began with 9/11 and deepened when we sent a well-spoken black man to the White House.

my name is reality, and unfortunately it seems we have never met before

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Idunno the depression followed by global foreverwar did a great job taking heat off the gilded age in k-12 history

my concern for how historians study this era is whether it'll be "runup to the great war" or "fall of rome"

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 13, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Soulex posted:

Apparently there is something called Vet TV and its everywhere as bad as youd think.

wtf, Animal Rescue owns

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Noted awful governor of Maine Paul LePage threatened to ignore the results of today’s primary vote by not certifying it because republicans might not win.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/12/17453676/paul-lepage-maine-governor-threatening-not-to-certify-tuesday-primary-results-2018-midterms

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 13, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Noted awful governor of Maine Paul LePage threatened to ignore the results of today’s primary vote by not certifying it because republicans might not win.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/12/17453676/paul-lepage-maine-governor-threatening-not-to-certify-tuesday-primary-results-2018-midterms

We need to bring back tarring and feathering for that son of a bitch.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Tesla announces layoffs, about 3500, to become profitable.

quote:

Tesla Inc. on Tuesday said it will cut about 9% of its workforce in an effort to deliver its first profit during a make-or-break period of building a mass-market electric car.

The layoffs of about 3,500 employees come as Chief Executive Elon Musk reorganizes Tesla’s management structure to make it flatter, and as the company tries to ramp up production of the all-electric Model 3 compact sedan.

In a memo to employees, Mr. Musk said the job cuts are mostly aimed at salaried staff and won’t affect production workers assembling the company’s vehicles. “This will not affect our ability to reach Model 3 production targets in the coming months,” he wrote.

Tesla investors welcomed the news on Tuesday, sending the company’s shares up more than 3% to $342.77. The stock has fallen about 8.8% over the past 12 months amid Tesla’s struggles to crank up vehicle production.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-cutting-about-9-of-global-workforce-1528827145?mod=hp_lista_pos1

Pretty sure laying people off will affect production goals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m on mobile so I don’t have the link handy, but some German market intelligence firm took appart some Model 3s, and they figure they cost about 28k to build.

They retail for 35k. I don’t know what kind of overhead and distribution costs Tesla has, but um... that’s not a great ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fister Roboto posted:

It takes skill to play a fiddle, we got played like a cheap kazoo.

People like kazoos

• Locked thread