Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bubbacub posted:

Goddamn, that's like some Beksinski poo poo

Kludged together a way to do some night shooting with only two hands and found some Geiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

joat mon posted:

Kludged together a way to do some night shooting with only two hands and found some Geiger.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. It looks like a still from an Alien-type movie.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Completely on impulse I decided to buy the Laowa 15mm f4 ultra wide angle macro lens, reviews said it was a difficult lens to use and they're not lying, since the working distance is practically up against the lens but I can see it getting a little easier after some practice.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Stalk-eyed fly by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Neato!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pterinochilus murinus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

The pissiest big spider I've ever encountered. Apparently they're known in the pet trade for being aggressive and bitey.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Pterinochilus murinus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

The pissiest big spider I've ever encountered. Apparently they're known in the pet trade for being aggressive and bitey.

Gods this is a nice shot of the beastie. I've never encountered one that wasn't immediately shy the instant there's any sort of movement nearby them, but by all accounts they're supposed to be shits.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Great catch. Looks straight out of one of those random life generator games.

Snuck up on a halloween pennant:

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get back into wildlife macro photography, but I'm running into a major problem. I can't really on my stomach to take photos anymore and have a hard time getting on hands and knees.

Is there any way to, um, put a camera on a tripod, line up the shot, and then adjust the focus, aperture, and focal length thru a phone or tablet? Follow up, how unrealistically expensive do such things cost?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I'd like to get back into wildlife macro photography, but I'm running into a major problem. I can't really on my stomach to take photos anymore and have a hard time getting on hands and knees.

Is there any way to, um, put a camera on a tripod, line up the shot, and then adjust the focus, aperture, and focal length thru a phone or tablet? Follow up, how unrealistically expensive do such things cost?

There are some products like that. One kind that comes to mind is CamRanger although to be honest I've only seen that setup used in studio sessions and I don't know how well it would work when it comes to the purpose you're after though they do market it as a macro option. It's $299 usd but there are also some knock-offs floating around that are cheaper.

There are some options specifically made for macro photography though they usually cater to the focus stacking side of it, such as Helicon remote which runs around $75 usd for desktop/mobile versions or $48 usd for just mobile versions.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 5, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A lot of cameras these days have wi-fi onboard and have 1st party smartphone apps to let you use your phone as the viewfinder/touchscreen interface. You can typically do anything that doesn't involve physically moving the camera or the lens- so you can adjust aperture, shutter speed, focus point, drive mode and so on, but not zoom or the actual camera position.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I wasn't clear. I don't need it to move or zoom or change the camera position. I'd line up the shot and would then use the app check things out and shoot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Panasonic's image app lets you pretty much do just that. Plus you'd get to use Olympus' excellent 60mm macro lens. You could probably pick up an older Panasonic body and the Olympus macro for under $800, or go hog wild, get the latest and greatest G9 plus the lens for around $2k.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I do this with my d750 and qDslrDashboard. The interface is a bit... bad, but it works. It also does focus peaking and focus stacking assistance which are cool for macro.

tk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 5, 2018

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Finally had the time with a motionless subject to try focus bracketing with the full Olympus setup. Super smooth and easy, though I had to do some manual layer adjustments on the stack. I think they'd be pretty noticeable with a less furry subject, and still keep finding blurry spots.

:3:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You didn't have to dye your hair, we love you anyways pink moth thing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 12th by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Tamron 90mm, Nikon D7000

Bonus photo showing setup for this.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 12, 2018

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 14th

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice juvenile Cthulu photo, must have spawned early this year.

July 18th

Nikon D7000 + 50mm f/1.8 & +4 close up lens

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Well poo poo, I just took my first "decent" macro shot of a bug, saw there's a macro thread, thought I'd post. Yeah, no. God drat you guys' shots are amazing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pooper Trooper posted:

Well poo poo, I just took my first "decent" macro shot of a bug, saw there's a macro thread, thought I'd post. Yeah, no. God drat you guys' shots are amazing.

Just post it dammit. I suck at photography most of the time, and it's my job too.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

spookygonk posted:

Just post it dammit. I suck at photography most of the time, and it's my job too.

(click for huge)

Well, it's a bug. Taken with a point and shoot camera (Olympus TG-5) that supports macro mode.

I still can't get over how crazy the photos in this thread are.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pooper Trooper posted:

(click for huge)

Well, it's a bug. Taken with a point and shoot camera (Olympus TG-5) that supports macro mode.
That looks a shield bug (UK) or stink bug (USA). They look cute, but are bad for crops.

Good photo.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Super-Takumar + TC201 by roland luijken, on Flickr

55mm Super-Takumar F/2 with a TC201 on a Nikon D3400

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Here's some hot bug-on-bug XXX action to start the week.

IMG_20180730_081250 by Pooper Trooper, on Flickr

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

_ADS0881-01 by Pooper Trooper, on Flickr

Had a visitor at the office today :3:

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

IMG_20180811_181911 by Pooper Trooper, on Flickr

HELLO FRIENDS

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Playing around with my xf35/1.4 and an 11mm extension tube. It works out better than I could have expected.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Hello fellow macro nuts

Pollen 2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Hope you like bees!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

That is a very nice bee. Good catch!

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Newly hatched baby spider

Ants and Spiders by Marc, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

I like how you got the ant eye detail it's a bloody hard lens to use that 1x-5x 65mm

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Raikyn posted:

Amazing.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn posted: