Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Aniodia posted:

Huh, that's neat. I'd only seen this floating around, mainly on 4chan but also on Facebook occasionally

I mean, that's enough for me to swear off any sort of system based off of 3rd edition D&D in and of itself. To find out that it was in response to people trying to make the Gunslinger an actually viable class is funny, in some sort of ironic way.

in that picture, when Bulmahn says they walked back the advice on Free Actions, what he meant was that when this Gunslinger build/action-order was first developed, the "advice" provided to the playerbase was that it's still up to the GM's discretion if they want to impose their own limits on how many Free Actions are actually free, heavily implying that you could simply disallow a Gunslinger PC from doing a half-dozen or more Free Action reloads as being "unrealistic" to be able to do within a 6-second turn, despite the fact that the rules clearly and specifically allow this (and was never a problem for a bow-using character before!)

Of course, once they had published the weapon cord "errata", then the reload action-order was no longer viable anyway, so then they could say that Free Actions were once again "truly" free after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't think anyone posted the new UA yet.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

As far as official D&D goes. Both az-mo-day-es and az-moh-dee-us are proper. az-moh-dee-us seems to be the most popular right now.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus1.ogg
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus2.ogg

so basically sorcerers are the new muscle wizards... i'm cool with that. at 18th level you can use Rage of Fallen Astoria twice, making your size Huge, your reach 15ft, your speed 40ft, +36 current and max HP, STR advantage, and +(CON mod * 2) melee damage. no clue if that's actually good but it tickles me to think of a sorcerer casting spells so hard he becomes a behemoth and just hulks out on everyone.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't think anyone posted the new UA yet.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

As far as official D&D goes. Both az-mo-day-es and az-moh-dee-us are proper. az-moh-dee-us seems to be the most popular right now.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus1.ogg
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus2.ogg

Lol at the Hill Giant pushing 5 feet plus Con Mod feet (it's literally always two squares if you have a positive con modifier). Also lol it has melee spell options but it pushes enemies out of reach when it uses them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Syndlig posted:

so basically sorcerers are the new muscle wizards...
No no no, they're, uh stomach? wizards. Or immune system wizards. Or bones wizards. There is absolutely no reason for them to take the muscle stat. Remember, it's very important we distinguish between being tough and being strong. They're two completely different stats! That must mean there's a very good reason to maintain a distinction between the two.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Mystic and Artificer get pushed back another month...

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Josef bugman posted:

How is Asmodeus pronounced? I have been saying Az-mo-dayus (like Amadeus) but I have been told that is wrong.

I always say it in a way that i can sing it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAmkKp5tsI

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
as hill giants are the worst giants it only follows that they're the worst giant-blooded

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Syndlig posted:

so basically sorcerers are the new muscle wizards... i'm cool with that. at 18th level you can use Rage of Fallen Astoria twice, making your size Huge, your reach 15ft, your speed 40ft, +36 current and max HP, STR advantage, and +(CON mod * 2) melee damage. no clue if that's actually good but it tickles me to think of a sorcerer casting spells so hard he becomes a behemoth and just hulks out on everyone.

The CON mod to melee damage doesn't stack. The level 18 feature specifies what part of it stacks, and that isn't included.

Piell posted:

Lol at the Hill Giant pushing 5 feet plus Con Mod feet (it's literally always two squares if you have a positive con modifier). Also lol it has melee spell options but it pushes enemies out of reach when it uses them.

Yeah that is probably my least liked of the level 6 options. And it makes no sense for the build. That said it will only come up when you actually cast one of the spells, which is rarely going to happen. You will cast each of your spells no more than once a fight, if that. That said I would much prefer something like say adding Con mod to melee damage while under the effect of one of those spells, so when you have Shillelagh, Heroism, or Enlarge up. Stacking with the level 14/18 bonus of course. Or give them Extra Attack while under the effect of one of those spells, then again a Hill Giant Sorcerer would probably be using Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade with Shillelagh to put out a decent hit.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay does Giant Soul give Extra Special Shillelagh or is your Sorcerer just hosed into attacking with the Wisdom through it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Shillelagh explicitly uses its casting stat - tome warlocks could already use it with Cha as far as I can tell. It's definitely cool to have another source of that as, say, a sword bard.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ah, I must have been reading the SRD's text of the spell, which explicitly says Wisdom.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks, duders. I had a rad time with my Bugbear Murderhobo tonight.

If anyone is a pixel art master enough to make a :smugbear: smilie, I will buy it for the forums, because that's the only fair thing to do.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh I totally missed the glasses at first.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Huh I totally missed the glasses at first.

He's just like Beast from X-Men, but instead of being a terrible drag on the team, he's an All-Star.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Have any of you guys joined games with strangers on Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds? One of my game groups is dissolving due to new babies and new jobs for some folks, and I thought I'd try to fill the void with internet weirdo stranger danger if it's not too bad. Just from a quick once over it looks like there's (of course) more players than there are people who want to DM for them, so I wonder if I won't just try my hand at running modules for a while.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wow it's dumb that giant sorceror can only get huge at level 14.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Have any of you guys joined games with strangers on Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds? One of my game groups is dissolving due to new babies and new jobs for some folks, and I thought I'd try to fill the void with internet weirdo stranger danger if it's not too bad. Just from a quick once over it looks like there's (of course) more players than there are people who want to DM for them, so I wonder if I won't just try my hand at running modules for a while.

I'm a forever GM who would love to play in a game with a non-awful GM so i've had a look at Roll20 recruitment and some seem alright but god a lot of them are dire and/or pay to play stuff. Though I assume you've got a larger pool if you're an american.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kingcom posted:

I'm a forever GM who would love to play in a game with a non-awful GM so i've had a look at Roll20 recruitment and some seem alright but god a lot of them are dire and/or pay to play stuff. Though I assume you've got a larger pool if you're an american.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, scheduling is really hard and it's such luck of the draw and I'd really rather play a different game than the Extremely Popular one that I'm running.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Reddit’s LFG has a community section that lists a ton of Discord servers for people who want to game on Roll20 and the rest of the net. I joined Taverns&Dragons and everyone there seems super nice, and the one one-shot I played in was pretty awesome and run by a dude who really cared about D&D and making it a great experience for everyone. I’m sure if you poke through the various communities listed there you’d find one you liked.

Personally I trust a community of people chatting regularly that I can be a part of and get a feel for more than some random dudes game that may or may not be slugrape fantasies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I use roll20 heavily and have been playing once a week straight for over three years (not in one continuous campaign, mind), but I would never use roll20 itself to recruit players.

Post here, post in your own community, etc., but randos on roll20 are just asking for trouble.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

What good places are there to find games, besides Reddit?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ChaseSP posted:

What good places are there to find games, besides Reddit?

I see a lot of local AL stuff on MeetUp.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got a new phone and in checking my old apps noticed the 5e spellbook app I had is lousy with ads now. Anyone got a good spellbook android app they swear by?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

I see a lot of local AL stuff on MeetUp.

There’s a similar site called Warhorn for tabletop/rpg/wargaming I’ve seen used round these parts.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

kingcom posted:

The larger pool doesn't really help since every Roll20 recruitment effort turns into reading 90 gaming resumes and Original Adventurer: Do Not Steal character bios.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Razorwired posted:

The larger pool doesn't really help since every Roll20 recruitment effort turns into reading 90 gaming resumes and Original Adventurer: Do Not Steal character bios.

My Gaming Resume:

Hi, I like to murderhobo my way across the realms and I have a working microphone and I don't obsess over fiddly rules interactions. I show up on time, ready to go, and I don't put up with racism, misogyny, bigotry, or homophobic slurs. Have dice - will travel.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I play on Roll20 like twice a week and frequently look for AL or one-shots if I get bored and have the time to invest. The neat part is that you can play with many different people, which can be cool if your IRL group is stagnant or always plays the same types of characters, etc. The bad part is because it's so hard to find a game and the aforementioned 90 gamer applications it means that players apply to a dozen games and wait for callbacks. This turns into them sitting for one session in a game just to shop a character or burn a single night of entertainment, which means the long-term campaigns tend to suffer.

I had to abort a campaign I was playing in just because every game was introducing a new character, and the DM was the type who wanted it to happen naturally. One particular person had to wait AN HOUR AND A HALF to be introduced into the game. Good news it's Roll20, so you could just listen in and like open up a new tab but yeah, it got messy.

In this way, sorry to say, the pay tables are actually kind of good. There's an investment there that people won't flake on, and the DM is "getting paid", so you should have all the pro features available on Roll20 (dynamic lighting is really cool - basically you can see your vision "cone"? from your character only, and not around and through doors or corners, etc.) and will probably sit down and actually put some effort into the making of it because they view it more like an assignment.

If you decide to shop for these games, don't pay more than like $5-10 a session. IRL I bring a six pack or a joint or a pizza, so you can justify it as an expense more on those lines. There are people shilling 12/hr per player on Roll20, and I wouldn't want to promote that. Also, you probably want a DM with a backbone for a paid game. I'm a little hesitant that a paid game is like "sure, you want to be a Unicorn Psion? Whatever give me $10, you are so strong etc. see you next game".

Full disclosure, I recently have tried my first paid game, at $13/month. It came with an artist drawing my character, the DM does great voices, has a nice custom hexmap and lore available, etc. The Roll20 format can be good for everyone getting an equal view of the map, handouts are easy, easier to share art and references than it is at IRL tables, easy to incorporate the official maps, whispers and things of that nature can enhance gameplay. The Curse of Strahd campaign on Roll20 comes with the entire castle done in 5x5 grid, which is something not available in the actual hardcover - it just provides a cool isometric map.

So, yeah. Be wary of people on Roll20 who just want to shop their characters in your game or like generation more than play (lots out there), be wary of overpriced games... any of those paid games worth their salt will have the first session free, and allow you to pay after the session assuming you are satisfied.

E: If there was sufficient interest, I'd DM a one-shot for you guys on Roll20. Or join whatever game you were planning. Goonsquad would be fun. I always fish for goons first, but they tend to prefer PBP here. :shrug:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 13, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Unrelated note:

Matthew Lillard is apparently releasing a $500 unlicensed companion box for Dragon Heist. He had a AMA on the 5E Reddit recently and..
https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/

Every comment he makes is pretty much, "I've played D&D way before you heard of it, it just wasn't popular so you didn't hear about it"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated note:

Matthew Lillard is apparently releasing a $500 unlicensed companion box for Dragon Heist. He had a AMA on the 5E Reddit recently and..

Every comment he makes is pretty much, "I've played D&D way before you heard of it, it just wasn't popular so you didn't hear about it"

Wait. Matthew Lillard, like Shaggy?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Toshimo posted:

yes, that Matthew Lillard. Beadle and Grimms is his new company, and apparently its only products are novelty t-shirts with the company logo on them and a $500 set of miniatures and battlemaps.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Toshimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIARRGl2LY

The awful commercial for the $500 product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L7GpasQiZA
"Comments are disabled for this video"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. He's also a huge Ren Faire nerd, iirc.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Firstborn posted:

The awful commercial for the $500 product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L7GpasQiZA
"Comments are disabled for this video"

"It's a rare item, like a +3 vorpal sword, or a useful bard."

Uh, sure man, whatever you say.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated note:

?

Q: WHO ARE YOU?
A: The short answer is that we are a new company, licensed with Wizards of the Coast, that was founded with the goal of making your games great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

doctor 7 posted:

?

Q: WHO ARE YOU?
A: The short answer is that we are a new company, licensed with Wizards of the Coast, that was founded with the goal of making your games great.

Make D&D Great... Again?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toshimo posted:

Make D&D Great... Again?

We're going to bring back THAC0 which is a great system, let me tell you. Trust me. I know Elminster and he loves THAC0. Fourth Edition was rigged. We are going to bring THAC0 back again and play the way our grandfathers used to play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

We're going to bring back THAC0 which is a great system, let me tell you. Trust me. I know Elminster and he loves THAC0. Fourth Edition was rigged. We are going to bring THAC0 back again and play the way our grandfathers used to play.

"They're not sending their best, you know. They're sending their fighters and rangers across the border. And some, I assume, are clerics."

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated note:

If I were looking for a new adventure to run in the nearish future, I'd at least consider it. But it is very highly priced for what it is. I can only assume most of that cost is wrapped up in physical props ( It looked like you got a white dragon scale that was to scale from the stream? ) and miniatures.

This reminds me a lot of the special edition of Rise of the Runelords that Pathfinder did: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tg1

They didn't do any other ones like that though, which begs the question, is there just no that much of a market for this?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CeallaSo posted:

"It's a rare item, like a +3 vorpal sword, or a useful bard."

Uh, sure man, whatever you say.

Isn’t this product for 5th e where bards are by far the most useful class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If I were looking for a new adventure to run in the nearish future, I'd at least consider it. But it is very highly priced for what it is. I can only assume most of that cost is wrapped up in physical props ( It looked like you got a white dragon scale that was to scale from the stream? ) and miniatures.

This reminds me a lot of the special edition of Rise of the Runelords that Pathfinder did: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tg1

They didn't do any other ones like that though, which begs the question, is there just no that much of a market for this?

I showed it to my buddy who routinely splashes cash on the dumbest poo poo and even he said "With what they'd shown, this should really be about $250".