Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

KetTarma posted:

Ket's Guide to Why the Reserves Are Silly and You Should Not Care
Whenever I joined the Reserves, I had the assumption I would be doing something related to anything in my field. Instead, I was an EMN1 assigned to a cargo handling battalion. For the first 6 months, no one was really sure what to do with me and I mainly just hung around playing on my phone. Eventually, someone figured out I was really good at PowerPoint so I made briefings for the CO. Because of that, I gradually migrated into an admin role. Once I had that figured out, I knocked everything out in the first hour or so of drill day and literally spent the entire remainder of the weekend doing homework for college. No one cared because our metrics were good once I figured out how to get everything looking pristine in each database. By the second year, I was consider indispensable because I did a solid hour of work a month in Excel using formulas, conditional formatting, etc.

My first AT was going to a random school where they taught me how to load munitions onto cargo slings. I guess it was ok?

My 2nd 2 week AT was spent standing exactly 2 firewatches for a total of about 8 hours. I got some nice letter for it from some chief in the shipyard. The Reserves spent thousands of dollars sending me across the country to sit on a ship for 8 hours as an E-6 and watch a wall. I mainly hung around downtown Norfolk and visited people. I ended up meeting grover during this adventure and got to go inside Groverhaus. It didn't collapse on me so that's a win.

Eventually, I got a job that required me to frequently work weekends. I stressed out over this and eventually approached my LCPO about going IRR. He didn't care and immediately approved a special request chit for it. He forgot to route it for 6 months and someone found it in a desk when they were looking for something else. I got a funny phonecall about it a few months before my contract was up anyway.

And thus ended my Navy career.

That's uh....wow. Amazing distillation of the Navy in general I think. Remember they used to fly the ETs from Yokosuka to San Diego for a one day class then fly them back the next day. 6000 miles, 2 nights in a hotel, taxis and per diem for something they probably didn't need anyway aside from a check in the command box.

The thing that bothers me is it's evals and those can screw people over. I don't want to have a bunch of new sailors get derailed, no matter how short a time or degree of derailment, because I messed up. If it were me alone on this yea sure counseling chit and move along with my day but there are other people in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
You know what's worse than being stuck at White Beach for reserve duty? Having a typhoon come through when you're supposed to fly home.

What's even worse? Finding the stray cat that hangs around housing dead, knowing that she has four kittens who are also going to be dead because of this. Godfuckingdammit. :cry:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

KetTarma posted:

I ended up meeting grover during this adventure and got to go inside Groverhaus. It didn't collapse on me so that's a win.

Way to bury the lede!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fangthane posted:

That's uh....wow. Amazing distillation of the Navy in general I think. Remember they used to fly the ETs from Yokosuka to San Diego for a one day class then fly them back the next day. 6000 miles, 2 nights in a hotel, taxis and per diem for something they probably didn't need anyway aside from a check in the command box.

The thing that bothers me is it's evals and those can screw people over. I don't want to have a bunch of new sailors get derailed, no matter how short a time or degree of derailment, because I messed up. If it were me alone on this yea sure counseling chit and move along with my day but there are other people in on it.

I dont think your derailing anyone's reserve career by loving up the e4 evals. I could write a book about how lovely doing reserve evals are, and I'll probably edit this post when I get to work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

E4 evals can be bottom lined by chiefs. They do not matter.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

E4 evals can be bottom lined by chiefs. They do not matter.

Exactly.

When they give poo poo next month for e3 and below evals keep in mind that they matter even less.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But also loving :lol: at being concerned about damaging a career with an evaluation. If a sailor gets a lovely eval and/or gets dropped in ranking from a previous one, it's not a failure of the leadership to protect his career but rather the sailors.

then again, i'm looking at the navy with pie eyed dreams of it as a meritocracy and not just a federal jobs program for poor people from rural and conservative states.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The command I was in was small enough that I'm almost certain that the chiefs were rotating the EPs throughout all of us E5s to try to get everyone promoted as fast as possible. It generally worked too, with most people hitting promotion within 1-2 periods of being eligible.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I'm finally figuring it out now that I've served at a NOSC.

The reason why NOSCs are so hit or miss is because the regional commands that direct the NOSCs are mostly staffed by people who've never worked at a NOSC and they're directed by RESFOR which is mostly clueless about how their policies ripple out into waves that ruin your average reservist's drill weekend and create impossible to enforce rules at the NOSC which creates insurmountable training obstacles for the region which turns around and asks RESFOR to change things which sets the whole ridiculous cycle off.

But why don't they just mirror the active component policies and tweak them to make them work for the reserves? Because that would be admitting that the reserves aren't a special force that is absolutely essential to the defense of the nation!

To drive home how stupid the construct of the RESFOR RCC NOSC reserves really is pay attention to the next TNR magazine you get. There's more than 1 FTS for every 5 selres. That's a seriously high ratio of fts to selres. Shockingly few of those people though are engaged in actual reserve management. The rest are basically filling active billets. Cancel the reserves, replace the whole thing with ten-fifteen thousand active billets and stop trying to make intel nerds, doctors, and lawyers play officer because they loving suck at it.

Tldr: the entirety of the reserve force exists to keep Djibouti and gitmo from having too many real billets to fill.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress I don’t miss brag sheets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well it is easier and faster to get a reservist in place than a sailor. I’m actually doing stuff a NMCI field tech should be doing with the infrastructure but it’s what the site needs. They usually have to wait weeks to months to get any work done.
I actually feel kinda useful here.

Also I’m making fat stacks because pay is great for orders under 140 days.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

then again, i'm looking at the navy with pie eyed dreams of it as a meritocracy and not just a federal jobs program for poor people from rural and conservative states.

People get real angry when I mention things like this for some reason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Lingcod if i knew you were going to have such a great experience i would have said you molested me at MEPs and tanked it because we aren't about having positives in my Navy, hooyah?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Lingcod if i knew you were going to have such a great experience i would have said you molested me at MEPs and tanked it because we aren't about having positives in my Navy, hooyah?

It’s not all fun and games. This morning I was walking by the flag and noticed nobody was ready to raise it at 7:55. I ran in and grabbed the flag, folded it and got back to the flagstaff. I knew there was a risk the VP helicopter would land since the SS was camped out and drat it if it didn’t take that moment to land and blew up a wall of fresh grass clippings on me and some got in my eye.
Thankfully he cut his rotors before I started raising the flag. Owe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s not all fun and games. This morning I was walking by the flag and noticed nobody was ready to raise it at 7:55. I ran in and grabbed the flag, folded it and got back to the flagstaff. I knew there was a risk the VP helicopter would land since the SS was camped out and drat it if it didn’t take that moment to land and blew up a wall of fresh grass clippings on me and some got in my eye.
Thankfully he cut his rotors before I started raising the flag. Owe.

Look at this go-getter :3:

When my rear end heard the 5 minute warning for colors, I found absolutely anything to keep me from going outside.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well speaking of reserves...
Based on the recent promotion board results, I am 99.9% officially terminal O4. My unit CO, when giving me my lovely FITREP, said that if I wanted to make O5 it was expected that I put in as much or more work during each week as I do during drill weekends. Well, I guess unlike the majority of reserve O5s and O6s, I actually have to work at my civilian job and can't make Navy phone calls, check Navy email, etc. And I sure as poo poo am not spending that much time outside my 50-60 hours of work a week with Navy bullshit instead of my family.
Downsides: Only a few years left of hella cheap medical insurance. My "remodel the house/rainy day/emergency car repair/etc" fund will dry up.
Upsides: I am stuck in loving Okinawa doing absolutely nothing and will not get the single qual I was sent out here for because of a tropical storm, meaning I wasted two loving weeks of my life and I won't have to do this ever again.

And I'm also dumb enough to be seriously considering a mobilization in order to give my kids a full rear end college fund even though it means spending a year away from them that I really don't want to do. :shepicide:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Just submitted my reenlistment paperwork. Last month they upped the multiple for non-aegis FCs from 0.5 to 2. So yeah.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Just submitted my reenlistment paperwork. Last month they upped the multiple for non-aegis FCs from 0.5 to 2. So yeah.

Man you know it's bad when theyre giving conventional (scrublord) FCs a decent reenlistment bonus.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Apparently, a retiring CMC friend told me this, if you're retiring from a med board you can request 75 instead of 50 pension since you could've technically gone all the way to 30 years. Looking into it and will update.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It took 3 years and five months but I don't even want to be in the service anymore. Seabeeeeees!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

It took 3 years and five months but I don't even want to be in the service anymore. Seabeeeeees!

Enlist Reserves, rerate to IS and be happpppy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh. If any of you guys are working at the Pentagon and see an old rear end E5 with a wicked flattop staring around be sure to say hi. Looking forward to my first trip.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh. If any of you guys are working at the Pentagon and see an old rear end E5 with a wicked flattop staring around be sure to say hi. Looking forward to my first trip.

You seem like one of those weirdo reservists who are constantly on orders.

I'm on orders next week and I already cant wait to be done.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

You seem like one of those weirdo reservists who are constantly on orders.

I'm on orders next week and I already cant wait to be done.

I'm on 139 day orders.

Gonna make enough to put a huge down payment on a car by the time I'm done. Go back home at the end of the fiscal year then immediately go on my AT to Hawaii (take the wife). Chill at home until Janurary then go back on 139 day orders to save up some more money.

That's the plan anyways. So far I've been saving up pretty good. There's a risk I may just get mobilized here. Serious manpower issue but it's not due to a lack of funding. Oh well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you see a super cool dude shitposter at China lake be sure to say hi

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Re: reserve talk- Does anybody know how to request some reservists? I'm going to be gapped a billet, and it seems like there's this organisation that I should be able to just tap into.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Enlist Reserves, rerate to IS and be happpppy.

Enjoy being temporarily in the rate since it will take 2+ years to get your TS which is required for C School and becoming permanent to take the exam. I think he retires in a year or so due to not being able to test for Chief
-Source: Our IS1 who is super Navy savvy but obviously not IS trained stuck doing admin work

piL posted:

Re: reserve talk- Does anybody know how to request some reservists? I'm going to be gapped a billet, and it seems like there's this organisation that I should be able to just tap into.

Shooting from the hip, which is not what to do in Real Life but this is SA, I think whoever is your OSO (Operations Support Officer) is the one who can put in reqs for reservists

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Shooting from the hip, which is not what to do in Real Life but this is SA, I think whoever is your OSO (Operations Support Officer) is the one who can put in reqs for reservists

This is exactly right. Go through the chain of command, of course, and also recognize that there are some good OSOs but there are also some total wastes of space.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Coming from MCM to LCS, I've never heard this title before, but it's a good direction to look and I'll send some investigatory emails. Thanks for the help!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

Coming from MCM to LCS, I've never heard this title before, but it's a good direction to look and I'll send some investigatory emails. Thanks for the help!

I swear to god if I get pulled to cover a gapped billet on an LCS...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

:hfive:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Needs of the Navy shipmate.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

There's an office at SURFPAC that specifically handled this. It won't be fast though because nothing about the Reserves is fast.

Unfortunately I don't remember the office name, but if you have contacts over there they should be able to hook you up with them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Needs of the Navy shipmate.

See I'd be fine going on deployment on an actual ship, like a DDG or CG.

Of course no LCS' are ever deploying so...

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?
MCPON Giordano is under investigation by the Navy IG.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...oxic-workplace/

Seems pretty bad, but kinda what you’d expect if your leaders are taking leadership lessons from their current commander in chief.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PneumonicBook posted:

See I'd be fine going on deployment on an actual ship, like a DDG or CG.

Of course no LCS' are ever deploying so...

Aren't all the Ticos floating dumpster fires held together by baling wire and duct tape at this point?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Aren't all the Ticos floating dumpster fires held together by baling wire and duct tape at this point?

HOW DARE YOU!?

Yea they're all hosed but they've been hosed for literally decades. When we brought the MOB into the yard in 08 she had like a 3 inch crack around the entire superstructure. Like you could look out of the qm shack into open air. We had a ton of 30 year old pipes burst right over load centers too my last deployment, which was fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hell the port royal is still running around and she's got a permanent list thanks to her adventure on reef runway.

I've got a picture somewhere from a RAS in the arabian gulf where the port royal just cut in front of us and everyone else like "gently caress all y'all we do what we want"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My Port Royal story is the time they called us up on BTB to inform us they'd be "standing by to receive passing honors" even though a) submarines aren't required to participate in passing honors in the first place, and b) it turned out our CO was senior to theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oooh I worked on the hatches and doors of the Port Royal a few years back and quite a few of them failed the line test, the chalk test and the “can’t be dogged down at all” test.