Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Ravenfood posted:

How'd you end up killing it? Just unloaded on it with someone? I've just been avoiding it the whole time.

They recommend doing this in a loading screen tip, actually.
Yeah, each simulation seems like its designed for accomplishing a specific goal, eg, this sim I'm going to unlock X character and/or complete one story quest/escape in a new way. I also learned a few locations for guaranteed gold chests which I usually hit up each run, then reset. Then once you've done everything, you can try for the "everyone gets out at once" plan. The main reason I suggest escaping at least once with every method/person before trying for the all-in-one is that each escape method has extra steps that you can skip the second time around, like having to find the pilot connectomes and a neuromod for the Shuttle escape. Being able to skip those saves time.

Things I think you need to do for each escape: You have to repair or climb up a grav shaft for the mass driver. Repair and hack for the mimic portal. Otherwise, you're free to go about them in any order. For extra fun, I think I'll try to do each one according to their "story" exit if I can.

E: everyone gets a stun gun and ammo just so I can rush past gates if I need to.

I killed it once but I was drunk and can't quite remember. I'd definitely bought a laser turret which I set up on the platform before you walk onto the sand/rocks. I then triggered it and jumped to a rocky area so it'd surface between me and the turret. (I'd previously tried just the turret, but that only did like 50% damage).
Then when it came up I blasted it with psi? or something while the turret unloaded. It seemed to turn around each time it was shot so it was doing a lot of turning around instead of attacking. Someone else said the stun gun works on it. I know the pistol shots add health to it when you shoot it, but I know I've shot it with the pistol before, and had that remove health from it. Not sure why it varies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I killed it by hiding on top of some rocks where it couldn't hit me and then popping up and psi zapping it til dead. used up all my hypos. you get an achievement for murdering it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So it bugged out and spawned a Moon Shark at basically no health remaining so I just hit it with a kinetic blast and that was that. Weird.

Also that Operator you can summon transfers items across characters within the run? gently caress, I'd been trying to stash them in convenient places which is mostly why I placed such a premium on keeping the trams repaired. Oh well, that should make everything a lot easier later on.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Ouch. The sound when you walk on a broken leg is very very crunchy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Breezing along now, started as the engineer and looted/repaired everything. Making enough delay items that its never getting past the first level of corruption. The mini bosses don't seem to respawn unless the corruption goes up.

My other playthroughs ramped up the corruption fast so I never had a chance to see how sweet the knife is. Well except its super long take out animation.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Breezing along now, started as the engineer and looted/repaired everything. Making enough delay items that its never getting past the first level of corruption. The mini bosses don't seem to respawn unless the corruption goes up.

Engineer definitely seems like the best way to start. Nice big inventory so you can loot everything, turret minimizes your resource use, repair all the environmental stuff and if you find a nice elite weapon in crappy condition you can repair it up to full. Custodian probably the best second character so you can hack your way into whatever you missed initially, after that it's all just beelining for your chosen escape route.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
So I was doing the security guard's quest and the drat antidote didn't work after I used it. Still got the other objective done but the story remains uncompleted.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lambskin posted:

So I was doing the security guard's quest and the drat antidote didn't work after I used it. Still got the other objective done but the story remains uncompleted.

The same thing just happened to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do you deal with areas filled with radiation?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I try to run really fast around it or use the jetpack boost forward. If its really bad there might be another way around it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

How do you deal with areas filled with radiation?

Jetpack, sprint, or if you've got them, recycle charges on the leaking barrels.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

lambskin posted:

If you're quick enough you can dart backwards before the gas hits and not even need to get the antidote

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Outside of the quest item not working the rest of the run was super smooth and fast. The game is pretty fast after you repair everything and don't let corruption get out of control.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
FYI Corruption level going up causes almost all enemies to re/spawn on all maps. Was messing around as the security guy as the last one on my run, just chilling in the shuttle dock, and when corruption increased a phantom spawned in plain sight on the other side of the gate, just popped right into existence, and encounters throughout the area had reset.

The worst was when I first killed the moonshark and corruption went up before I could even loot the corpse, and then up popped moonshark #2... Experimentation does show that killing the moonshark will keep it dead for all characters, so long as corruption doesn't go up again.

And yeah, you can twink items between characters using the operator summon, to the point where you can just dump inventory before hitting your escape and the next character gets everything. Feels kinda cheap tbh.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I didn't realize the DLC was $20... how long is each playthrough? I'm a big fan of rogue-likes too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thinking about it, there are two characters who presumably can get enough Typhon powers to be rejected by the Typhon gates, the Volunteer and the Director. Thing is, only one of them has a foolproof way through them, and then only if he takes the Burrow ability. Is it possible to just get yourself trapped on the wrong side of a Typhon gate? Similarly, what happens if you're trying to escape and just...can't, like if the only remaining escape route is the Portal and you didn't hack/repair it on previous runs. Does the game recognize this, or does it just let you gently caress around until the corruption boots you out?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I'm playing Andrius's story objective and my objective marker for the toy just up and disappeared as I transitioned zones, and now it won't come back. I have no idea what to do anymore.

Anyone out there know how to fix this?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Jetpack, sprint, or if you've got them, recycle charges on the leaking barrels.

I really need to remember this, just in general. Radiation was super annoying in the main game and even though I figured out to toss recyclers at heavy obstacles I never clicked to throw them at the barrels.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ravenfood posted:

Thinking about it, there are two characters who presumably can get enough Typhon powers to be rejected by the Typhon gates, the Volunteer and the Director. Thing is, only one of them has a foolproof way through them, and then only if he takes the Burrow ability. Is it possible to just get yourself trapped on the wrong side of a Typhon gate?

You can use the stun gun on the gate ring around a force field to disable it, so just put one in your loadout for your over-Typhoned characters.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Noob question!

How do I do the research to learn the psychblast?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

ymgve posted:

You can use the stun gun on the gate ring around a force field to disable it, so just put one in your loadout for your over-Typhoned characters.

Weapons with electric elemental mods also work. I got an electric psyblade one run that quickly turned into a skeleton key for typhon gates.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beastie posted:

Noob question!

How do I do the research to learn the psychblast?

You need the Psyscope. If you don't already have it, you'll get it as part of the main plot in Psychotronics.

Once you have it, activate it and point it at a living Typhon. Hold it on target until the bar fills up and you'll get a research entry detailing its strengths and weaknesses. Different research entries unlock different psionic abilities.

Not sure which ability you mean by "psychblast" -- if you mean Kinetic Blast, you get that by scanning Cystoids and Phantoms, so you should be able to get it quite soon after getting the 'scope. If you mean Psychoshock, you get that from Telepaths; I believe the first one you'll encounter is in the Arboretum, and there's a second in Crew Quarters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I've been doing that, it was more of a hypothetical about how you could accidentally get stuck. I can't remember any way to actually get stuck in the base game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ToxicFrog posted:

You need the Psyscope. If you don't already have it, you'll get it as part of the main plot in Psychotronics.

Once you have it, activate it and point it at a living Typhon. Hold it on target until the bar fills up and you'll get a research entry detailing its strengths and weaknesses. Different research entries unlock different psionic abilities.

Not sure which ability you mean by "psychblast" -- if you mean Kinetic Blast, you get that by scanning Cystoids and Phantoms, so you should be able to get it quite soon after getting the 'scope. If you mean Psychoshock, you get that from Telepaths; I believe the first one you'll encounter is in the Arboretum, and there's a second in Crew Quarters.

Psychoshock was the one. I just jumped back into a my game after a few months (had about 4 hours in) so I’m trying to get my bearings

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BaconCopter posted:

I didn't realize the DLC was $20... how long is each playthrough? I'm a big fan of rogue-likes too.

You might spend like an hour with each character until you farm enough skill points and then you can do all 5 characters really fast as your knowledge with the areas increases. Since things are somewhat random but not totally, it will be kinda fresh each attempt.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 13, 2018

The Bishop
Oct 8, 2007
The ring, Vic! Don't touch the ring!
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

The same thing just happened to me.

My game crashed when I was attempting to leave the area, after being poisoned. When I reloaded the game, and accessed the computer, I quickly stepped backward and wasn't affected by the toxin. Just went to scuttle the shuttle and that was that.

Just finished it, myself. It becomes really easy to maintain level 1 contamination once you can fab the delay. Anyway, this expansion was a great surprise. I mean, throwing roguelike elements into an immersive sim isn't something I would have expected, but it actually lends itself to the game really well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Had something odd when trying to unlock the Janitor's personal objective. I suicided the janitor after hacking and when I started as the engineer to repair the thing, I started in the labs instead of out in the crater, suicided her and when I picked the volunteer he also spawned in the lab...Didn't get the unlock tho since he got obliterated instantly by radiation and an electric phantom right outside the room though. RIP.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Had something odd when trying to unlock the Janitor's personal objective. I suicided the janitor after hacking and when I started as the engineer to repair the thing, I started in the labs instead of out in the crater, suicided her and when I picked the volunteer he also spawned in the lab...Didn't get the unlock tho since he got obliterated instantly by radiation and an electric phantom right outside the room though. RIP.

When you die with characters left it seems to always spawn your next character in the same zone for some reason. It's nice for not having to deal with as much loadtime as otherwise, playing sans SSD, but a bit weird.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have two control modules and no idea how to use them. I found the control module receptacle in the tower and ... nothing. What do I do with it? I tried pressing f next to it, and tried dropping the module. I'm playing as the repair person.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
How much of a bonus does the "Increase XP rewards" chip actually provide? Trying to figure out if dropping a 1000 on it at the beginning of the run is even worth it. Did a few runs with it equipped, and didn't notice any boons at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

redreader posted:

I have two control modules and no idea how to use them. I found the control module receptacle in the tower and ... nothing. What do I do with it? I tried pressing f next to it, and tried dropping the module. I'm playing as the repair person.

Keep doing the objectives, it will tell you when you can use them.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

redreader posted:

You can only use them if they are missing in the first place. You'll find that you end up needing them to power areas or for getting the tram online.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
I was playing the DLC for the first time and making my way to the escape pod, but got stuck in the geometry. Can I abandon this run or do anything at all other than start a new game? I have no neuromods or chipsets.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
FINALLY. I got a certain upgrade for the engineer: recipe fabrication. Not quite as good as a neuromod recipe but I think this might get a lot easier from now on.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I finished the DLC earlier on in the evening. Don't get me wrong, it's great and the ending was right in the middle of what I expected and what it needed to be, but just be aware that if you finish all of the personal objectives then you'll not be able to play the simulation again on that save slot. A bit silly given that it was introduced alongside a newgame+ mode.

One thing that I noticed while doing my last run is that the delay item is really amazing in general. Just being able to run through things and not have to worry about being stopped by a bunch more Typhon is a real boost to getting poo poo done, even if it it can trivialise the game if you build around that.

It also seems like you can get away with just buying a bunch of low-cost high-recycle-value items (T-rations for organic, ammo for metal, cells or spare parts/suit repair kits for synthetic, and just toolbox wrench a few aliens because every round ended with me drowning in exotics) and then printing your loadout if you don't mind going through a few extra steps.

Also, there seems to be a bug wherein weapons you pick up from other runs don't have their listed damage updated to reflect any appropriate skills.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well, beat Mooncrash. I rather enjoyed it and need an hour to unsnarl my brain after planning the victory run.

I want to say I'd love to see a fully realized game with this as its core identity but maybe that'd outstay its welcome?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thyrork posted:

Well, beat Mooncrash. I rather enjoyed it and need an hour to unsnarl my brain after planning the victory run.

I want to say I'd love to see a fully realized game with this as its core identity but maybe that'd outstay its welcome?

The IF game All Things Devours works similarly, although it's a lot more densely tangled -- rather than playing successive characters with each one setting things up for later ones, you're playing one character looping repeatedly through time, setting things up for your past and future selves while being careful to avoid paradoxes.

It's also pretty short, though, and the map a lot smaller, which means iterations are pretty fast.

Thinking on it more, I'm not sure how "a fully realized game" would differ from Mooncrash. If you just mean something bigger/longer, yeah, I think that would overstay its welcome -- for something like this, where it's possible for mistakes you made a while ago to put you into a dead-man-walking situation, you want to be able to iterate pretty rapidly.

I would definitely like to see more games built around similar concepts, but I'm not sure I want bigger ones.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I thought I'd figured out an easy way to get points by placing a turret just far enough away from a weaver that it can kill the Cystoids that it spawns but not close enough to actually kill the weaver itself. I got about 100k points on that run as a result but unfortunately it was my last character and it doesn't look like you can keep the points you earn on the last life.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

I thought I'd figured out an easy way to get points by placing a turret just far enough away from a weaver that it can kill the Cystoids that it spawns but not close enough to actually kill the weaver itself. I got about 100k points on that run as a result but unfortunately it was my last character and it doesn't look like you can keep the points you earn on the last life.

Last time I ran out of characters and the sim reset, I kept all of my points -- was that not meant to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not sure how i feel about this DLC so far. I'm on the second crew member and I do enjoy the level gimmicks of "the floor is lava", but I really wished there would be more story focused DLC.

Still, purchased because I wanna support the devs and the Prey series. I hope E3 showed some people that Prey is actually a cool and good game.