Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Why even have interest in the show then? It's clearly for people that watched the first movie.

Because I’m interested in any acclaimed show. DP just said he loved it and has never seen the movie. I’m sorry this is so offensive to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Watch Karate Kid first but the Jaden Smith version.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

Watch Karate Kid first but the Jaden Smith version.

I'm not sure you could pay me to do that. Well it'd have to be a lot anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll do it for one hundred dollars

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Karate Kid 3 is also worth watching for how utterly bad it is and how coked up 30 year old fat Ralph Maccio is playing a 17 year old and also doesn't really do any karate at all in it

it also has one of the best villains in any film ever

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Cobra Kai but it strikes me that if part of the show is about flipping the perspective on the movie and giving you a different take on it then refusing to watch the original movie is basically you actively ignoring this part of it.

I mean, its up to you to watch whatever you want however you want. But I can imagine a lot of people having wildly different interpretations of characters and events based on whether they saw the movies or not. I'm never going near that show's thread.

Lurdiak posted:

Laffo at izombie treating enforcing military rule and participating in public executions as a political difference that lovers should get past.

There must have been some changes in the writers' room cuz this is not the same show as season 1.

Having just finished S4 and having my share of problems with it I don't think that's what they were going for at all. Major tries to present it as "political differences" because he's the guy committing war crimes but Liv and Co end up feeling very differently.

Granted by season's end it all gets resolved a little too neatly and a whole lot of really heinous poo poo gets brushed under the rug but that's kind of par for the course for iZombie.

edit: messed up my spoiler tags

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 12, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Karate Kid 3 is also worth watching for how utterly bad it is and how coked up 30 year old fat Ralph Maccio is playing a 17 year old and also doesn't really do any karate at all in it

An evil businessman who in reality was played by an actor who is younger than Ralph Macchio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Cobra Kai but it strikes me that if part of the show is about flipping the perspective on the movie and giving you a different take on it then refusing to watch the original movie is basically you actively ignoring this part of it.

I mean, its up to you to watch whatever you want however you want. But I can imagine a lot of people having wildly different interpretations of characters and events based on whether they saw the movies or not. I'm never going near that show's thread.

Thread loves the show :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.fiercecable.com/video/viacom-still-confident-its-channels-will-make-it-to-hulu-live-tv-youtube-tv

It seems like Viacom is starting to feel the hurt from their anti-streaming stance and realize that they need Hulu and YouTube TV to survive. I have no doubt that part of the Hulu negotiations center around bringing some Viacom stuff back to the Hulu back library.

They are trying to spin this as these two outlets not mattering, but I think it's no coincidence that this came out after Hulu announced their growth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine actually giving a poo poo that someone doesn’t want to watch The Karate Kid

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-orders-three-new-unscripted-seriesa-1119388

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

The Fix, produced by Embassy Row, is described as the first comedy show in the world with the stated ambition to solve the world’s biggest problems. In each installment of the 10-episode series, Jimmy Carr, along with two permanent team captains, Katherine Ryan and D.L. Hughley will host guest comics and experts who will take one massive issue facing the world and attempt to solve it. Michael Davies and Andrew Westwell will executive produce.
So I guess the US finally gets to experience panel shows?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shame they added Jimmy Carr, one of the absolute worst things about British panel shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They’ve had plenty now, it’s just nobody really watches them still.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine actually giving a poo poo

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Tough Crowd only instead of everyone's brains being broken by 9/11 they're broken by Trump.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That article features a terrifying picture of Jimmy Carr. Since you've got him and Katharine Ryan, why not just call up Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade, Jonathan Ross, and David Mitchell, and churn out thirteen weeks' worth of a decent Big Fat Quiz?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Isn't that Frankie Boyle's show? I guess his shtick isn't comedically trying to solve issues and more comedically saying how much we're hosed.

Escobarbarian posted:

Shame they added Jimmy Carr, one of the absolute worst things about British panel shows.

The laugh is what I can't stand. He laughs like a robot programmed by someone who had only had the concept explained to them. At least Katherine Ryan's pretty good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mameluke posted:

Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade, Jonathan Ross, and David Mitchell

America would not be able to handle that much sexual magnetism on one show. Richard Ayoade alone would be too much.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mameluke posted:

That article features a terrifying picture of Jimmy Carr. Since you've got him and Katharine Ryan, why not just call up Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade, Jonathan Ross, and David Mitchell, and churn out thirteen weeks' worth of a decent Big Fat Quiz?

Honestly toss out all the rest, give the money to Noel Felding and Richard Ayoade, and see what happens. It’ll probably be the best, weirdest, thing ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
OK I can see how Rosa eventually differs from April but you gotta admit the first season Rosa was what if April stops acting like a surly teenager and starts acting like a surly adult

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I ignored Succession because I thought it was yet another prestige drama about rich white people having rich white problems but I was surprised to see that it's actually a black comedy about dysfunctional rich white people having dysfunctional rich white problems. It's odd to me that HBO is marketing it as a big-deal drama because it's fairly funny despite (or because of) the melodrama.

edit: also that opening song is a banger

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 13, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am loving the poo poo out of the Staircase after episode one. These interviews with the family are amazing. All this lieing and me guessing what happened. It's got me hooked y'all.

Before I watch anymore, why was the end clip significant, testing the sound from the pool? Did he say that he went in the house because he heard her calling?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 13, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Rosa/Pimento thing is too cartoony even for this show

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

He repeatedly runs away from chances to do karate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should have done something with the dojo masters having fought in Vietnam and WW2 and how it hosed with their heads.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Aaaaand I'm done with S4 of Bosch. I don't think I have ever gone through four seasons of a show this fast. The big case was a bit weaker in S4 but the extra breathing room for all the side characters made more than up for that. Lance Reddick is the loving best. I just hope that they don't send Maddie away to college in S5, her relationship with Bosch has really become my favorite part of the show.

Anyway, watch this loving show if you have even the smallest bit of tolerance for shows like this, you won't regret it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sure Bosch is very well made. But what's the hook? A generic detective drama that's really well executed doesn't really interest me. Is the show more than that?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The best thing about Karate Kid 3 is that the bad guys accomplish everything they set out to do, yet Daniel winning som pointless tournament on a technicality is treated as winning the movie, even though it doesn't make any real difference. The bad guys weren't even trying to win that tournament. They just wanted Daniel to suffer, which he did. The only reason he won was because his opponent was deliberately holding back to hurt him more.

At the end of the movie, the main villain is still considered a paragon of virtue by the karate community. He is still, presumably, going to go ahead with his promise to build evil Kobra Kai dojos all over the country. The main characters never do anything to expose him as a bad dude, like I kept expecting them to do. This is a Karate Kid movie, so the only thing we are supposed to care about is who wins the karate tournament.

I also like how the main villain did everything he did out of pure unselfish love of the villain from the first movie, without any benefit to himself. He really is the best.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure Bosch is very well made. But what's the hook? A generic detective drama that's really well executed doesn't really interest me. Is the show more than that?

Not really, no. It’s very straightforward. I’d say watch the first couple episodes and if it doesn’t hook you then you won’t like it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

He is a loose cannon who breaks the rules to get results. Not the most original of hooks, but if it ain't broke...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SimonChris posted:

He is a loose cannon who breaks the rules to get results. Not the most original of hooks, but if it ain't broke...

You're off your case Chief!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SimonChris posted:

He is a loose cannon who breaks the rules to get results.

I was about to say "Except he never really does", but then I remembered that he watches that guy get murdered at the beginning of season 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The Rosa/Pimento thing is too cartoony even for this show

The show itself realizes that eventually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUCoxgIAXI

This looks like it could be really good. Who knew the crazy guy from the Police Academy movies would turn out to be a good director

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, I'm not sure I can get back in on Brooklynn 99 since The Mick is still dead

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUCoxgIAXI

This looks like it could be really good. Who knew the crazy guy from the Police Academy movies would turn out to be a good director

Bobcat directed Chapelle Show. He's a top guy.

His Joe Rogan podcast is amazing. Talking about his recently passed away brother was really sad and funny. He's done some crazy poo poo.
One of his best mates was Robin Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5NjiE98tQ

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like how Cinemax is finally going to show season 2 of Outcast, long after it was shown in the rest of the world and after it was not renewed for season 3.

Fuckers.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure I can get back in on Brooklynn 99 since The Mick is still dead

I'm really upset about The Mick being cancelled but these aren't mutually exclusive options that you have here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Those were the two best episodes of Ghosted. The scene of them writing on notebooks was well executed and had me laughing aloud. Also the PO box scene was WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The notebook joke did make me laugh a hell of a lot yeah. I’ll watch the rest of this 6-episode arc.