Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'd say Koudelka's psychic powers have proven so far to be pretty strong, but yanking someone else into her visions is new I think. Then again, it could be the Emigre Manuscript being that much of an unholy clusterfuck. And I'm starting to think that if James went all the way in some other timeline, he'd rationalize to Bacon that his hypothetical dabbling with the occult is a step up on a partially completed process. He would never stoop to mass murder and kidnapping. His buddy Patrick already completed that for him. No use in throwing out the accursed corpse with the bloodbath. All he needs to do is bring the soul back. Can't be hard, right?

Still, ignoring the spirit of a woman who explicitly said not to do this and shunting her essence into an abomination of what it once was is just asking for trouble. Every SH main villain so far despite ranging from wacky to pants shittingly evil has still been human, give or take a few demons to sell your soul to, with the crazy animalistic monsters being variants of mindless to enthralled by some higher level warlock. An eldritch abomination on the loose that can think would be scary as poo poo.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nimsant posted:

No objection. I am sure someone can compile the text better than me. For example, use monster-alias portrait instead of Alias portrait maybe? Use bold and italic for intonation?
Maybe it is best to make subtitles for the Youtube video.

I also want to note that it is never explicitly stated that that monster was Alias. I just guessed that from the context.
And someone mentioned aiming for the head.. If I judge from the sounds he makes while transforming and general motives in the Shadow hearts design, it is possible the monster does not have an appendage that resembles a head.

For the last part of the Drama CD I am going to need the portraits for young students James, Patrick and Elaine

Will these do?

As a really big ask, (if you don't want to I'll understand :) ) would you be able to do your earlier CD Drama posts in the same format as your current ones?
Like:
: Blah blah blah
: Blah blah blah

Thank you, again.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXX: Nope... Nope! NOPE!

OK... Let’s try that one more time. This time holding onto Koudelka’s Pendant to avoid a face melting fate normally only reserved for Nazis.

Previously steady, it suddenly picks up pace until it feels as though the plant will explode.

I’ve suddenly got quite a migraine. It is making my skin crawl.
<shakes head> For once I feel like punching isn’t going to help here...
<sassy pose>

In this timeline, Koudelka is having absolutely none of this evil rear end plant’s bullshit.

Just as before, a very gooey Elaine reveals herself in the Tree of Life flower bloom. Has she just been chilling in this thing for the last year or so? Or was her flower house a recent development? The answer to this and more... won’t be elaborated upon and doesn’t matter.

Events proceed much the same way they did earlier. Only this time...

Hey, did you know Koudelka’s Pendant was actually an extremely powerful magic ward capable of blocking even face melting blasts from an unholy abomination? That’s the reason we needed that thing. You’d think Koudelka would have been slightly more upset she lost it climbing on the roof or had I dunno... any reaction when she retrieved it again.

In any case, the gang succeeds in keeping their flesh intact this go around. So that’s a marked improvement on their situation over last time.

Elaine just cannot BELIEVE this bullshit going down. A magic pendant the importance of which is never mentioned or discussed at any point? Garbage! So what’s next for the naked slimy lady? Well...

What if she cracked her limbs backwards and started running around on the ceiling like some kind of hosed up model swapped Licker mod?

Edward Plunkett is having absolutely none of this freaky The Exorcist spider walk bullshit and immediately opens fire on Elaine as she clatters along the ceiling. For once that’s probably the best course of action.

After quite a few missed shots, Eddie finally manages to peg Elaine and she immediately falls twenty feet, lands square on her neck and flops over dead. Well, then...

Hah! That was easy. I don’t know what all the fuss was about.
Don’t go near that thing, Edward.
Why not? There’s no getting up from a spill like tha—

Oh HELL!
gently caress. That!

<already running for the exit>

Welp. It was never going to be that easy, was it? Here on the Church Fifth Floor we have the very final temporary save point of the game. Despite Elaine being hot on the gang’s heels, we do have a moment to catch our breath and prepare for what’s to come.

That’s because this game engine is very limited and they couldn’t actually animate Elaine chasing after us in-game. So instead, at a predetermined point at the top of the stairs, the narration will announce our pursuer has caught up to our bumbling trio.

New Music: Patience
(Hey there’s actually a third battle track in this game and it’s pretty good! If not really appropriate for the body horror adversary it accompanies. You should probably listen to it!)

Elaine’s freaky naked horrid affront to God rear end is here and she wants to rumble. She even brought her own music track. Elaine comes packing a respectable but not too daunting 11811 HP.

Elaine has a fairly limited moveset. And by that I mean she has exact two moves. There’s a physical strike with her all mondo hosed up limbs which either inflicts poison or will steal some HP. We don’t need to worry about that since Edward is a stout boy and will tank that just fine.

More pressingly is Elaine’s minty fresh Mentos breath which no longer melts all the flesh off our unprepared party. But it will inflict fairly significant magic damage to all three party members. But mostly to Edward and his neglect in learning the dark arts of wizardry in favor of being tough and punching/stabbing/shooting stuff.

This can be remedied fairly easily by casting that Reflect spell we obtained back around the time we chatted with Elaine’s spirit. Reflect in Koudelka naturally has bizarre calculations to its mechanics. Instead of just reflecting magical damage full stop like in many RPGS, Koudelka’s Reflect runs a calculation of how much damage that magic spell would inflict were it cast with the party member in question’s stats. So Reflect cast on Edward does extremely piddling damage because of the poor magic based stats we’ve given him. Meanwhile, if Reflect were on Koudelka or James it would deal some decent damage back from magic attacks.

Gotta have one more esoteric quirk to this awful battle system before we wrap, right? The biggest boon of Reflect is regardless of our character’s stats, it will negate all magic damage. Indeed, a strategy to taking on the Gargoyle is to just load everyone up with Reflect casted on them, have someone out front to tank physical damage and just use items to heal ‘em while Gargoyle slowly kills itself with its own magic attacks.

That’s a lot of talk about preserving Edward considering there is another little wrinkle to this fight -- Elaine is completely immune to all physical damage. Ignore the fact Edward just shot her in that previous cutscene and she completely ate poo poo from it. She’s no-selling anything Edward can dish out for the duration of this fight. So he’s just relegated to a punching bag for this bout.

That’s OK. We’ve got magic to make up the gap in damage output. But ONLY certain spells are allowed during this fight. Elaine is immune to Earth and Water elements. Only Fire and Wind work for this fight. That suits us just fine. Koudelka has gotten very good at burning things lately and James has a blooming pyromaniac streak.

Elaine eventually falls... For now.

Music: ENDS

Naturally, we didn’t unceremoniously slay the final boss in some random stairwell. That’d be a touch anticlimactic. No, we’ve got to keep climbing upward to the top of this... burning clock tower. Guys, did you think this one through very well...?

No time to worry about how the hell we’re getting off the top of the largest building in all of Aberystwyth. Elaine’s back and she’s still pissed. Or an emotionless husk that only has some primal urge to murder. There’s really very little difference, honestly.

New Music: Patience ~ Live
(Yeah... the concert version of this doesn’t fit at all.)

"Pupal form of Elaine. Her skin hardened against magic, she possess no intelligence and works only on animal instinct. Her presence is anathema to humanity."
Apparently a lot of enemies had overly elaborate descriptions in the Japanese guide for the game. It’d be neat if they had incorporated that into some kind of database in-game. Maybe with a model viewer of some kind. Maybe I’ll LP a game that does that again someday...

Elaine Round 2 comes packing the exact same stats and HP. But she’s remixed her immunities this go around. Regardless, we’ll still immediately cast Reflect on Edward to keep him healthy. He’s at least useful beyond soaking up damage this go around.

That’s because Elaine is now vulnerable to physical attacks and since we’re two fights from the end of the game, I felt it a good time to equip him with the Soul Edge Sacnoth Sword. Which does a pretty decent job dishing out the damage. Time to redeem yourself from that last poor showing, Edward.

This go around Elaine is invulnerable to both Wind and Fire, so we’ve got to have our remaining mages delve into their Water and Earth Bending abilities to get the job done. Those two spells aren’t quite as leveled up with Koudelka because... well... we got them later and they’re further down the menu when casting magic.

But that’s no big deal! Edward could probably handily solo the fight himself. Once more Elaine howls and vanishes from the field. Quite the awkward reunion with a lady James wanted to bone back when he was young, eh?

At least, one more flight of stairs and we’ve reached the top of the clock tower. Be on the lookout for Pirate Grandpas or dancing serial killer spirits.

So uhh... there was a plan, right? Climbing up onto the top of the tower? Like using the bells to stun her or something, maybe? Surely you chucklefucks didn’t just start running in a random direction and whoops! We’re on the roof!

That’s totally the case, isn’t it? You goddamn bunch of buffoons! :argh:

AAAH! It’s hideo—oh wait... It’s just Koudelka’s CGI model. False alarm.

Oh hey, Elaine. You’re here too, huh? Can you believe these morons just set the bottom floors of the building they were on ablaze than ran to the top without thinking about what to do next? Ridiculous, isn’t it?

You’ve been kind of packing on the pounds since our last fight thirty seconds ago, huh? You’ve got to cut back on the carbs. They’re going straight to your thighs.

Elaine is not taking her recent losses well... Nobody likes a sore loser, Elaine. Take it down a notch!

Tentacles... It always has to be tentacles with the body horror, doesn’t it? Someone should really tell game and film makers that rowdy spaghetti noodles has been played out.

Now bug folk... not enough of that, in my opinion. Jeff Goldblum? Intensely creepy dude on his own. Jeff Goldblum as a BUG? poo poo’s hosed!

Meet True Elaine. She’s a large angry bug-human homunculi hybrid... thingie now. Why? Huh? Wha? Yeah, I got no answers for you. Don’t mess with alchemy. It is ALWAYS a bad scene! Without fail! If you see someone lose a loved one and they even look side-eyed at a flask or some occult text, smack them upside the head immediately and get them off that poo poo!

I’m not sure if True Elaine can summon lightning bolts or this is just an inopportune weather event common to the Welsh countryside. It could really go either way. Regardless...

The gang really should have thought this through harder. Tune in next time for the conclusion to Koudelka! Assuming they aren’t immediately crushed by falling rubble and a collapsing tower. No moral.

Video: Episode 30 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

Elaine and Patrick Manga Art – Good going, Pat. Nailed it in one!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 13, 2018

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah, I have a short teenager and a walking suit of armor who can attest that trying to raise the dead is a bad idea!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Seeing how far Elaine's corpse has mutated gives new meaning to James's heretical impulses to bring the soul back. It'd be like trying to put someone's human soul in a cow. Way harder than your standard mission to play God and zap a spirit back into their own body.

And I'd actually been meaning to ask about the bestiary in this game. Back when serial rapist Azure Horizon LP'ed this game, I think he included a monster list along with some brief descriptions, ala Shadow Hearts. So I figured there was an in-game bestiary here and you were just waiting to show it later. Did he manage to shark in some translated dummied out sections that just never made it here in the west?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Patience is a pretty good track. Granted, I like the track that plays in the battle after it a lot more, but Patience just has that... soothing quality, I guess?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Shitenshi posted:

serial rapist Azure Horizon LP'ed this game,

wait, what?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It helps the climax of this game a lot that Elaine is actually unsettling as hell.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Huh, thought everybody round these parts knew about that. He admitted that he would deliberately get his friends so shitfaced drunk that they couldn't consent and then take advantage of them. He even admitted that it would be awkward for a few days afterwards but hey, it's all good right? It doesn't help that I think he said some of them were straight guys he didn't have a chance with normally since he was gay, so this was way of getting some. I was so glad when his dumbass was banned. He wasn't even that good of an LPer now that I think about it. The only thing of his still up on the archive is that Suikoden thread which was apparently spared on the technicality that it was a collabo between him and White Dragon and his mediocre inputs are painful to read.

I know someone did an Koudelka LP awhile back though but now it's gone. It was Azure, right, and not somebody else?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

What if she cracked her limbs backwards and started running around on the ceiling like some kind of hosed up model swapped Licker mod?

Elaine's just really good at yoga. Quit being so judgmental.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Elaine has a fairly limited moveset. And by that I mean she has exact two moves. There’s a physical strike with her all mondo hosed up limbs which either inflicts poison or will steal some HP. We don’t need to worry about that since Edward is a stout boy and will tank that just fine.

That's right boys.... MONDO hosed up.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think Elaine kinda tops Goddess Furiae in the hosed up department

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Oh, goofy product placement photoshops, how I've missed you so.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I think body horror-wise, she's fairly evenly matched with Furiae(trade off for the eyes and the scream). Where Elaine gets more points is the extra animations due to having all this cutscene time.

The chase bit reminds me of that robo spider tank in the opening mission on FF8. Now I'm imagining that, but with some Hojo monstrosity, that frankly would probably look like Elaine here, chasing you down until someone opens up a heavy machine gun on it.

The Dark Id posted:

If you see someone lose a love one and they even look side-eyed at a flask

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Yeah, that's the guy, though someone else recently did a VLP of this game.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, that's the guy, though someone else recently did a VLP of this game.

Niggurath/discworld is all I read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWUtA6xMLb8&list=PLuoM6YEhavdzXwB9umJVrjJO2zts_cV4j

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

The Dark Id posted:

It’d be neat if they had incorporated that into some kind of database in-game. Maybe with a model viewer of some kind. Maybe I’ll LP a game that does that again someday...

Kingdom Hearts Franchise LP confirmed! :toot:

Yeah, this is giving me powerful Furiae flashbacks.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 13, 2018

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Oh, hey, it's getting positively Parasite Eve in here now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
In fairness to the game, this came out before the tentacle-monstrosities got all played out and done to death.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I love the gross crunching noises when Elaine picks herself up and starts chasing after them, spider-like. :allears:

I've got to wonder what Patrick thought about tattooing her corpse with the Sefirot. Did he think she'd find it really rad when she came back to life? Did he imagine she'd be "Thanks for bringing me back Patri- oh my, look at my rad tats!"

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

That's not how knees work! :gonk:

That's not either! :cry:

Nimsant posted:

Drama CD Part 5: Edward actually tries to punch a door, and James hasn't learned poo poo. Also him and Koudelka are now taking a most excellent journey through time.

Pesky Splinter posted:

<--- I'm going to use this edit for evil purposes

<swirling around in some magic portal dimension> This is some heathen bullshiiit aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh!
<swirling around as well> Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!

*the scenery starts to clear, settle, and become fixed*

Uh? Okay...? I don't see Bacon or any sign of the monastery anymore, but it's daytime and it seems like we're on some university campus. What the hell?
...No, it couldn't be... It's impossible!
What is? What's going on?
T-these are my old college days...!
Huh?
Perhaps if I study the ways of the blade Elaine will notice me.
Noooooo! Koudelka, please! Look away! For the love of God, look away!

(Also thank you for letting me know about the incorrect title on the Youtube video, I'm trying to fix that right now. :sweatdrop:)

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 13, 2018

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

That's not how knees work! :gonk:

That's not either! :cry:

<swirling around in some magic portal dimension> This is some heathen bullshiiit aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh!
<swirling around as well> Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!

*the scenery starts to clear, settle, and become fixed*

Uh? Okay...? I don't see Bacon or any sign of the monastery anymore, but it's daytime and it seems like we're on some university campus. What the hell?
...No, it couldn't be... It's impossible!
What is? What's going on?
T-these are my old college days...!
Huh?
Perhaps if I study the ways of the blade maybe Elaine will notice me.
Noooooo! Koudelka, please! Look away! For the love of God, look away!

(Also thank you for letting me know about the incorrect title on the Youtube video, I'm trying to fix that right now. :sweatdrop:)

Okay, the concept of a fedora wearing (and likely flame shirt wearing) chuunibyou James who “studied the blade” sounds so wrong! :getin:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

HR12345 posted:

Okay, the concept of a fedora wearing (and likely flame shirt wearing) chuunibyou James who “studied the blade” sounds so wrong! :getin:

Father O'Flaherty sighed as he drew his katana.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Something about PS1-2 CGI body horror works really well. Probably the already weird skin and extremely dead looking eyes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nohman posted:

Something about PS1-2 CGI body horror works really well. Probably the already weird skin and extremely dead looking eyes.

They're already halfway to Raiders of the Lost Ark's melting skulls.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXXI: Just In Your Memories

New Music: Kiss Twice
(It’s the final boss music, you should probably listen to it!)

Meet the final boss of Koudelka -- Elaine Heyworth: Freaky rear end Crazy Insect Final Form. Mrs. Heyworth comes packing 22801 which is around 9000 HP less than our old pal the superboss Gargoyle had but still puts her as the second beefiest enemy in the entire game.

Elaine has shed all her immunities this go around. She’s just sporting high enough stats that she’s fairly resistant to all damage. Edward equipped with Sacnoth , a sword that could one shot any common enemy in the game at this point (and probably a decent number of bosses had he had it) can only manage to dish out 2000-3000 HP of damage.

Speaking of Edward, our first order of business is once more to throw on a Reflect. But this go around, we’re not just limiting ourselves to only him. Everyone in the party needs to have protection from Elaine’s magic post-haste or this is going to go very poorly for everyone involved as our insectoid challenger is NOT loving about.

Elaine’s main attacks is an upgraded version of her death breath from her earlier form. It now comes sporting electrical effects to show you it’s gotten way meaner since her transformation. This still hits the entire party on cast. Edward can take upward of 3000+ HP of damage if he wasn’t protected by Reflect. Koudelka and James, despite their high PIE stats, still take 1000+ HP of damage as well.

Which is why we immediately cast Reflect on everyone our first turns. If everyone is reflecting that damage, Koudelka and James at least will instead do about 1500-2500 damage to Elaine whenever she gets saucy and summons a lightning storm. Someone should have told her I already did the 100 Lightning Dodges. I ain’t even dealing with that kinda poo poo again. :argh:

Final Elaine can also channel the spirit of Final Fantasy Cactuars and cast 1000 Needles. Apparently, spikes flung from some vaguely insect-like carapace constitutes magic because this spell also will get reflected back in Elaine’s direction if she casts it.

Really, our only worry with this fight is keeping up our Reflects if we want to stay healthy. Reflect WILL eventually wear down but I have no earthly idea what the calculation formula is for the threshold deactivating it. I had Koudelka cast Reflect on James then James cast Reflect on Koudelka and finally himself. For some reason Koudelka’s ran out way before either Edward or James. James got attacked more than Koudelka so it’s not that. He’s also got a higher PIE stat thanks to that magical girl Rod too, so it isn’t Koudelka’s resistance to magic. You got me! I’m past trying to figure this poo poo out.

Overall, Elaine was pretty forgiving this battle. She actually has an extremely nasty physical attack that can even ruin Edward’s poo poo and she also possesses a healing spell for around 1500 HP. But she chose to do neither of those this bout and instead ended up mostly kicking her own rear end with magic.

It’s a good thing we went vaguely out of our way to get some very nice equipment, grinded out our magic a bit and honestly got kind of lucky with RNG drops. This fight could go way worse if we were any more ill-equipped or under-leveled... But for now, the evil is defeated. And so...

:siren: VIDEO: Click here for the “Good” Ending :siren:

Upon her defeat, Elaine just starts bursting open at the seams like a big ol’ jam filled balloon. This and Parasite Eve just loved its warm gooey centers to its mutant abomination ladies.

Are you all SEEING this nonsense?
<hurk> Oh God... The smell... I think I’m gonna hurl!

Oh... Huh. She managed to hold it together surprisingly well. Or she’s getting Raptured right now. Or... perhaps exploded. To be honest, I’ve lost the plot on anything going on with Elaine’s body at this point.

Elaine’s eyes turn from blue to brown. Did her spirit return to her body to double die or something of that nature? That seems like a real bad scene if so. But wait, weren’t her eyes blue in that flashback montage Koudelka had in her psychic vision? So then...? Hmph. I dunno. Is this Elaine’s Nobody and if that and her Heartless are now dead, she’s back alive? No poo poo, that’s the wrong lore.

Regardless, for a brief instant it seems like Elaine’s body has returned to her senses and has something to say.

Yes, my love...?

BARF!

Hah! Wrecked!
Goddammit!

I have seen the most interesting happenings. It would be a waste to go back to sleep just yet. Hehehe!
Hehe... I wonder how long it will take those three to realize...

Hey, Koudelka... I wonder what she was about to say.
Why would you yell out the word “barf” before throwing up blood and dying... It doesn’t make any sense, ya know?

Dead people don’t speak. It’s just in your memories.

Huh...? Is that how you explain what we just saw?

<gets up and brushes herself off> I guess...
<blink> Wait, what are you even talking about? We spoke to her GHOST!
I don’t know, Edward. What do you want out of me? I’m still hung over and a building just exploded right in front of my pounding head. Can you just be quiet for once!?
Fine, fine... Geez. Forget I asked!

Memories... Someone told me after a loved one’s death, all we have is memories.

In these we maintain an eternal bond with the dead.

Hey, Koudelka?
I told you to shut up, Edward.
Yeah, I know but...
But what!?
...How are we getting down from here?
<deep sigh>
...Well, crap.
Hehehehe!

New Music: Ubi Caritas et Amor

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est,
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor,
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.

Exultemus, et in ipso iucundemur!
Timeamus, et amemus Deum vivum.

Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero!
Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero
Sincero

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est,
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

Congregamur.

And that concludes the Good Ending, for lack of a better term, of Koudelka. Yes, the Good Ending but not the CANON Ending of this game. Tune in next time for the actual conclusion of Longest, Worst Night in Wales – Autumn 1898 Edition!

Video: True Elaine Boss Battle

Video: Koudelka Good Ending
(It’s one of the two endings! Go watch it!)

Early Koudelka Iasant Concept Art – Kind of like those designs a lot more than the final one.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 15, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You'd think it'd be the opposite, but the PSOne cutscene incarnation of Roger Bacon, an ancient immortal creature, looks more ghastly than his PS2 self.

The Dark Id posted:

Sancoth a sword that could one shot any common enemy in the game at this point

Ff everyone is reflecting that damage, Koudelka and James at least will instead do about 1500-2500 damage to Elaine whenever she gets saucy and summons and lightning storm.

But for now, the evil is defeat.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Also, since it's almost the end of the LP, I might as well drop this here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y4jo_pCNxra2X1TCtXT-L6AA-8-wdZkOqjXSEO14ewk/edit?usp=sharing

For the first time ever, scans of the Koudelka light novel are available (with many thanks to a wonderful goon). Currently untranslated, but I've been working (slowly!) through it trying to transcribe it all. Come check it out if you're curious how the novelization looks!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I was surprised the Good ending wasn't canon, but then I remembered ps1 horror game trends...

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Another staple of the Covenant series: the bummer ending is canon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Another staple of the Covenant series: the bummer ending is canon.
That's only the case for SH1. FTNW strongly hints that Covenant's good ending is canon.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Tune in next time for the actual conclusion of Longest, Worst Night in Wales – Autumn 1898 Edition!

I figured you'd want done with this train wreck ASAP but you're really milking this last part for everything it's worth, aren't you?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Accordion Man posted:

That's only the case for SH1. FTNW strongly hints that Covenant's good ending is canon.

Covenant's good ending being canon means both SH1 endings are canon, if I recall an interview correctly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tallgeese posted:

Covenant's good ending being canon means both SH1 endings are canon, if I recall an interview correctly.
Yup, Yuri gets sent back in time to the very beginning of SH 1 with all his memories intact so he's completely prepared to save Alice this time around. FTNW hints that most of the events of Covenant still happen because Nicholai still unleashed all that Malice but because Roger claims that's never seen an Emigre Manuscript resurrection first hand then it proves that Yuri saved Alice because Roger and Yuri try and bring her back in Covenant.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 14, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm a big fan of that final boss music.

Feels kinda Okami-ish.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That final boss music was Kikuta as hell and it kind of rules. Also, of course the good ending isn't the canon ending. Of course.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GeneX posted:

I'm a big fan of that final boss music.

Feels kinda Okami-ish.
Agreed. And speaking of the music...

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: Kiss Again
(It’s the final boss music, you should probably listen to it!)
The youtube video says the music's 'Kiss Twice' so one or the other is a little off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Accordion Man posted:

Yup, Yuri gets sent back in time to the very beginning of SH 1 with all his memories intact so he's completely prepared to save Alice this time around.

Memories intact? As I remember it, Yuri stands around at the train tracks going. "Uhhhhhhhh, why was I here again? Oh well may as well fight some dudes on this train lol." Implying that his memory did, in fact, get totalled, and the entire thing is just going to loop more or less eternally for him.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

PurpleXVI posted:

Memories intact? As I remember it, Yuri stands around at the train tracks going. "Uhhhhhhhh, why was I here again? Oh well may as well fight some dudes on this train lol." Implying that his memory did, in fact, get totalled, and the entire thing is just going to loop more or less eternally for him.

Here's the update from the LP Archive. There aren't any spoilers for Koudelka, as far as I know, but fair warning anyway.

https://lparchive.org/Shadow-Hearts-Covenant/Update%20141/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It certainly makes some sense from a narrative point of view to use the bad endings as a jumping off point, since good endings tend to have things nicely wrapped up with no dangling plot hooks for a sequel to play with.

The Dark Id posted:

whenever she gets saucy and summons and lightning storm.

Or she’s getting Raptured right now. Or... perhaps explode.

• Locked thread