Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, I was thinking of getting into Shadowrun more, is there any advantage to physical books, or should I just look for the cheapest pdf copy on like drivethrurpg or similar sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

numerrik posted:

Hey, I was thinking of getting into Shadowrun more, is there any advantage to physical books, or should I just look for the cheapest pdf copy on like drivethrurpg or similar sites?

Unless you plan on passing the book around the table or the pdf is remarkably low quality (lacking in useful bookmarks, for example) I'm not really sure there's an advantage to the physical book. Or I guess if you just hate reading pdfs.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In the US at least, game rules are not subject to copyright. It's a bit tricky. Specific phrasing and terminology are.

I literally wrote that backwards.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Physical book pros:
  • It's somewhat easier to flip back and forth through a physical book, which is handy for a reference text.
  • You don't need a laptop or tablet to have the text at the table.
  • They're generally easier for your other players at the table to use, since they don't have to be computer literate to use the text.

Cons:
  • They're more expensive, obviously.
  • PDF readers have nice built in search and bookmark features and whatnot.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Haystack posted:

Physical book pros:
  • It's somewhat easier to flip back and forth through a physical book, which is handy for a reference text.
  • You don't need a laptop or tablet to have the text at the table.
  • They're generally easier for your other players at the table to use, since they don't have to be computer literate to use the text.

Cons:
  • They're more expensive, obviously.
  • PDF readers have nice built in search and bookmark features and whatnot.

Pro: you can beat your gm over the head when he decides to use some dumbass rule that makes everything slow down for 4 hours.

Con: you have to look at it on your bookshelf and know the abomination of a system that lies within

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Another con: I'm running out of places to store actual books.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought another set of shelves. :blush:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m probably going to use both my physical book and my PDFs for my game tonight, personally.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh man sorry to bring tank chat again but I found this Soviet record and it's bad rear end. A T-34 crew got stranded and out of fuel so they were ordered to use all their ammo on the enemy before retreating. They blew up eight German tanks, one AA gun and killed like a hundred dudes before blowing up their tank. Brad Pitt BTFO.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2014/12/fury.html?m=1

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Books are also much easier on your eyes. I work on a computer all day and don't want to read on a screen if I can help it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The only thing I use physical books for (besides decoration) is if I'm sitting by myself committing stuff to memory for a game I'm going to run. I don't think I could ever go back to referencing them at the table vs. using a PDF with a search function.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
drat, I guess I'm just oldschool. I find it extremely hard to grasp a new RPG rule-set if I don't have a physical book to reference. I'm a frequent flipper, and it's just more difficult to reference several things and go right back to where I was.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have never owned a physical rpg book and I probably never will

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I tend to retain stuff I read in physical form much better than stuff I read on a screen, so I pretty much need physical books. I use both when GMing though, I'll bookmark stuff I know I'll need in a session in the physical book, or bookmark stuff I know the players will want/need to reference, but then I tend to use pdf search functions to find stuff that comes up unexpectedly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If it's a game I really like or hope to play I'll grab physical and pdf. PDFs are easier to read on the go via tablet and search through to quickly re-read something. Physicals are nice for irl plus, and I might as well give a bit of extra money to the creators.

The only challenge is finding a tasteful bookshelf that doesn't break from the weight of textbook-sized crap

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I mostly read and use PDFs and treat buying the books as a way to give money to the author.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I feel like some RPG PDFs have been getting better about good bookmarking and otherwise using the strengths of that format to make them a better reference. That said, I don't have a real strong tablet so opening big books and turning pages is kinda slow and that aggravates me a little. I also really like having books as cool objects I want to own but like many others I need more shelves.

That said, having both options has basically given us the RPG market we have with all its highs and lows of crap and innovation so I'm glad PDFs are pretty accepted RPG things now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mostly read and use PDFs and treat buying the books as a way to give money to the author.

More than you gave for the PDFs, you mean?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

More than you gave for the PDFs, you mean?
Yeah - it's typically significantly more and hey I get a donator trophy for it. I still read the PDFs even when I have the book. (Though I have no idea what sort of margins the authors get on things like this.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Even with good bookmarks, PDFs are way more of a chore to use in play because you can't just flip back and forth between two different sections like you can easily do with a physical book by using your finger or bookmarks or an eraser or whatever. Stuff I'm going to run once I'm fine with getting a PDF for, but if there's going to be a long-term commitment to it I'd rather buy a physical book.

Otherwise I just end up having 7-10 copies of the PDF open at the same time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Even with good bookmarks, PDFs are way more of a chore to use in play because you can't just flip back and forth between two different sections like you can easily do with a physical book by using your finger or bookmarks or an eraser or whatever. Stuff I'm going to run once I'm fine with getting a PDF for, but if there's going to be a long-term commitment to it I'd rather buy a physical book.

Otherwise I just end up having 7-10 copies of the PDF open at the same time.
If I ever made an rpg book and did a pdf release, goddamnit there'd be tons of information repeated instead of referenced and links to the start of every section on every page.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No thread that I'm aware of, but I know I'll be there for much of it.

It just occurred to me you aren't that far north of me. What's the gamestore situation like up in the Akron/Falls area? Down here it's mostly magic but I really want to find a group for RPGs since my irl friends have scheduling issues.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

It just occurred to me you aren't that far north of me. What's the gamestore situation like up in the Akron/Falls area? Down here it's mostly magic but I really want to find a group for RPGs since my irl friends have scheduling issues.

There's a pretty eh board game slash collectable place in Kent

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Even with good bookmarks, PDFs are way more of a chore to use in play because you can't just flip back and forth between two different sections like you can easily do with a physical book by using your finger or bookmarks or an eraser or whatever.
I have the exact opposite experience. It is so vastly more simple for me to flip between pages in a pdf just by swapping pages or keeping the bookmarks open and clicking them or just ctrl+f for the thing I need than it is to flip-flop between a bunch of pages in a physical book and skim/read through the whole page looking for the thing I need again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm not sure if this thread or the GM advice is the right one, but does anyone have ideas for running a game with the forums as an audience? I probably shouldn't post too many details until I'm ready to pull the trigger but I'd like to do something in GBS where anyone can participate. I want it to be a little silly but with at least some tension and possibility of folks getting killed. I don't mean a standard play-by-post game - I want something allowing for wider participation than that.

Someone suggested a game where 3 people play normal characters and everyone else plays The Goon, basically a fool who they have to keep alive for story reasons. (Maybe it's the king's inept nephew and they've been voluntold to take him on a grand adventure.) The players try to get through the adventure safely while the goon tries to mess with them and generally be goony, without overtly attacking anyone. Anyone can post and say what The Goon does and if a bunch of actions happen at the same time, I take the funniest one(s). If this idea sounds really dumb please tell me but I laughed at the suggestion and am interested in hearing what others think.

My own thoughts are that If a regular character dies, someone new can step up to join. The Goon will probably find a way out of most things, not sure how to handle that, but I definitely want the rest of them to be afraid of him dying and feeling like they gotta baby him.

I was thinking of using something like into the odd with it's bizarre but extremely simple character creation. I'd mostly abstract away combat anyway and do the rolling myself when it came up. Maybe I'll make a table of silly traits to roll on for anyone making a character. I'm open to ideas for setting, I might choose an adventure module or not. Something a little serious to contrast with the farcical party would end up being fun I think.

I've seen other people do this in a way where anyone can make a move for any of the four party members. That's a little more elegant but I think this will be more fun if it works at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ah, the problem is I don't know much in the way of RPGs since I play with a small personal group of friends I've had for a long time, mostly. Not that I wouldn't want to try something new, mind. It's a lot easier to find board gaming - there are some decent clubs around here.

Kenmore Komics & Games is the Akron mainstay. There's nothing too unusual - expect them to focus mainly on the mainstream - but it's been running for decades on that model. They don't have space for any play, though.

Underhill's Games is nothing too fancy, but probably has the most regular play going on in Cuyahoga Falls for a shop. Once again, most of that's going to be mainstream - Magic, Pathfinder, board games, etc. - but it often has regular events and games.

Jac Games seems to be the Cuyahoga Falls place for miniature gaming. I don't know too much about it other than that, I haven't played with minis in ages.

Warzone Matrix is up in Cleveland, and it has a tight-knit group but I mainly mention it for being the most awful gamer closet sort of store. The first time I walked in I accidentally walked in the "back" (just beside the main door) and nobody stopped me as I waded through a sea of garbage past people playing Starcraft flanked by towers of mini cases to the actual front of the store, which is neatly sorted garbage.

There have been a lot of new places cropping up I haven't gotten around to seeing yet. There's a small place up in Kent that I haven't been too much, and I know Hudson has a board game bar. There's the Boardgamers of Greater Akron who have regular meetings and Akron Tabletop Games which does board games at a Cuyahoga Falls Panera side room. Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow is the official Kent State board gaming crew, but they're only meeting unofficially now that summer break is started. RPGs is harder, though.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I did, too - and hot drat, this thing is gorgeous. Seriously, I can't wait to get the hardcover, and I'm hoping I can get my players to give it a shot. The art budget for this thing must have been absolutely enormous, because there's a lot of it, and it's high quality.

Mechanics look to be clean 4e-ish in presentation with some 13A influences, which is fantastic. Character classes all have a resource to manage, with fun-looking and interesting ways to use and balance them.

I still have some of the same math concerns I did earlier - specifically regarding attribute boosts - but these are based in theory rather than in practice, and they should be easy enough to tweak if they end up being problematic. You get like 4 '+1 to an attribute' bonuses over your 10 levels. There's 4, and your class has a Core Attribute that almost everything is based on. So obviously, you will boost your Core Attribute, because there are no limits on it, and the system is center-weighted 2d10. So you could end up at the end with +7/+1/+0/+0 or whatever. This may be what the game intends you to do - in which case, no worries. If it doesn't work quite right, it's easy enough to either say "your core attribute can't be more than 3 better than your second attribute" or "your top attribute can be no more than 4 points above your lowest attribute" or - in the other direction - "you increase your core attribute and one other."

At this point, I'd recommend checking it out. I'm excited by the whole thing.

There's no way to check it out, as far as I can tell. There's pretty much zero information available after the Kickstarter started because all of the updates after it completed were backers only, with no information about any other kind of release. Pretty disappointing because it sounded cool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not sure if this thread or the GM advice is the right one, but does anyone have ideas for running a game with the forums as an audience? I probably shouldn't post too many details until I'm ready to pull the trigger but I'd like to do something in GBS where anyone can participate. I want it to be a little silly but with at least some tension and possibility of folks getting killed. I don't mean a standard play-by-post game - I want something allowing for wider participation than that.

people have been running CYOAs and impromptu "audience participation" play-by-posts for years. You'll be fine - to throw in an RPG just means you'd be using whatever mechanical trappings that the game has in order to resolve points of conflict and determine outcomes, rather than the OP choosing whatever result and outcome is the most interesting

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zarick posted:

There's no way to check it out, as far as I can tell. There's pretty much zero information available after the Kickstarter started because all of the updates after it completed were backers only, with no information about any other kind of release. Pretty disappointing because it sounded cool.

I dropped a message into the comments section to bring this concern up and ask when anything more public-facing will be announced. It's kind of weird that they haven't been more open about the process and also a little frustrating because it's really hampering word of mouth, and as Kickstarter games go it's definitely in the At Least Worth A Read bin. Hopefully the devs will get back to me soonish.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Warzone Matrix is up in Cleveland, and it has a tight-knit group but I mainly mention it for being the most awful gamer closet sort of store. The first time I walked in I accidentally walked in the "back" (just beside the main door) and nobody stopped me as I waded through a sea of garbage past people playing Starcraft flanked by towers of mini cases to the actual front of the store...

drat. Sounds like Warzone has really taken a dump since the early-aughts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*even more nervously than last time* What will happen with the goon games once the bandwidth ends for real due to extreme incompetence by the neck man?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1007310448394321920

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish it wasn't.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol Vox

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
voxsplaining smdh

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

*even more nervously than last time* What will happen with the goon games once the bandwidth ends for real due to extreme incompetence by the neck man?

In all seriousness, it probably wasn't very healthy for the forums to try to monetize its most hated posters in some bizarre findom scheme.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

In all seriousness, it probably wasn't very healthy for the forums to try to monetize its most hated posters in some bizarre findom scheme.
I think the kind of person who is gonna spend $100 to rereg 9 times is also the kind of person who would make 10 different accounts to dodge a ban on a free forum so it makes sense to make some money off them doing that poo poo anyways.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I think the kind of person who is gonna spend $100 to rereg 9 times is also the kind of person who would make 10 different accounts to dodge a ban on a free forum so it makes sense to make some money off them doing that poo poo anyways.

In practice, the way it seems to work is that you can dodge a ban by ponying up sandwich money while behaving like exactly the same tiresome rear end in a top hat that rpg.net or whatever the gently caress would have simply banned and been done with months before. I mean, both SA and free forums cull alt accounts by banned members all the time anyways, because they’re easy enough to catch, but only SA says that as long as they’re not permabanned for things like rape or ban/probe dodging, then they’re totally welcome to keep going as long as they give Lowtax bus fare.

I mean I’m hardly complaining given my rap sheet but in the long term it hasn’t exactly done much to elevate discussion or keep out weird assholes and/or sex creeps. Kind of the opposite, actually.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The constructive effects are there, they're just less visible than the ten rereg folks because they manifest as bad posts that don't get made. There's no reason not to post whatever dumb thing you want at rpg.net or any other free forum because there are no real consequences. Knowing that something costs $10 to say prevents most people from saying it and I think that's the best you could hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CI’s perma stuck, so the system works.