Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
Like a game of Monopoly, which everybody hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

As is customary, South Korea and the Pentagon learned that we were ceasing joint military exercises with South Korea through Trump's Twitter feed and watching him say it on TV. China, on the other hand, knew in advance.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Man, I'm sure Mattis is extremely thrilled right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

I’m on mobile so I don’t have the link handy, but some German market intelligence firm took appart some Model 3s, and they figure they cost about 28k to build.

They retail for 35k. I don’t know what kind of overhead and distribution costs Tesla has, but um... that’s not a great ratio.

They would cost 28k to make on a properly tooled assembly line being built by experienced and familiar auto workers.

Tesla is reinventing every single wheel they come across so they can get nowhere near that 28k/per.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Didnt they invest heavily into automation and end up having to use mainly manual methods to assemble?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Didnt they invest heavily into automation and end up having to use mainly manual methods to assemble?

Yes. Automation is great, but it's still over blown. It only started getting a lot of press when people started talking about $15/hour.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

Yo I'm sure that information could still cause catastrophic harm to national security more than 60 years after it happened, 45 years after we lost the Vietnam war, and almost 30 years after the collapse of the soviet union.

Not to ruin the classification hating party or anything but it seems plausible that there might have been laotians involved with that still living that they might not want to expose.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Not to ruin the classification hating party or anything but it seems plausible that there might have been laotians involved with that still living that they might not want to expose.

At the very least it seems dumb they had to keep three dead CIA officers under wraps for 50 years, especially since the stars are anonymous.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

smashing our foundations of foreign policy to own the libs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Yes. Automation is great, but it's still over blown. It only started getting a lot of press when people started talking about $15/hour.

Cars are very complex things that still take a lot of manual labor to produce. The pieces of the process that are getting highly automated are much higher up the supply chain, specifically individual parts and raw materials.

Tesla's goal is to do all of that itself without using third party suppliers, which is monumentally difficult to just start from the ground up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jarmak posted:

Yeah I get why collaborators might want to not be exposed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tesla could have been a really nifty concept and maybe made some really great cars one day if the son of apartheid emerald baron hadn't bought them and ran them into the ground.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It'll be cool if Musk's Tesla meltdowns don't also ruin Space-X with even more toxicity than it already has.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tesla could have been a really nifty concept and maybe made some really great cars one day if the son of apartheid emerald baron hadn't bought them and ran them into the ground.

But flame throwers!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

But flame throwers!

You mean cheap little propane roofing torches with extra plastic? Cause those things musk is trying to sell as "flame throwers" aren't.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
No, Musk has made it very clear that they are NOT flame throwers and are legally distinct from flamethrowers for liability and shipping purposes. Any resemblance to a flame thrower is in your head, man.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Automation is what you do after you've worked out all the problems in the process. It isn't where you start.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Automation is what you do after you've worked out all the problems in the process. It isn't where you start.

Elon Musk is smarter than years and years of experience that the big three had therefore...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mlmp08 posted:

No, Musk has made it very clear that they are NOT flame throwers and are legally distinct from flamethrowers for liability and shipping purposes. Any resemblance to a flame thrower is in your head, man.

They don't resemble one at all. They're the equivalent of a roofing torch which is not a flamethrower at all.

This is a flamethrower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQYK5ZMbWY

If you notice it throws flame a long drat ways. The boring company's flame thrower is just a handheld roofing torch. It has a 3-6' flame at max. Proper flame throwers are throwing poo poo 30 feet.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sergg posted:

As is customary, South Korea and the Pentagon learned that we were ceasing joint military exercises with South Korea through Trump's Twitter feed and watching him say it on TV. China, on the other hand, knew in advance.

The reporting that follow one of Donald's surprise announcements about the military still twists my mind. Donald announces something wild, and then someone from the non-Fox News media publishes a report about surprise and confusion from the Defense Department. And then someone like Dana White (the Pentagon chief spokesperson) or sometimes even Mattis himself will make some kind of denial about being surprised. Of course the Pentagon has a deep interest in appearing to be in cohesion with the White House even when that's not true. There's usually just enough believablity and vagueness in the Pentagon's answer to be acceptable to a generous listener. Like this time Dana White says that Mattis couldn't have been surprised because he was consulted. Sure, Donald could have talked about it with Mattis. Mattis may have told him how and why that was a bad idea. Donald may have left that room agreeing with Mattis. Then, days later while sundowning, Donald makes up his mind mid-answer to end the military exercises.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They don't resemble one at all. They're the equivalent of a roofing torch which is not a flamethrower at all.

This is a flamethrower:

If you notice it throws flame a long drat ways. The boring company's flame thrower is just a handheld roofing torch. It has a 3-6' flame at max. Proper flame throwers are throwing poo poo 30 feet.

No need to defend musk and his thing that throws flames

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Betsy DeVos attempting to let predatory scam colleges off the hook for their crimes, and bqck to business as usual ASAP. Her and her brother ought to get the loving guillotine.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

At the very least it seems dumb they had to keep three dead CIA officers under wraps for 50 years, especially since the stars are anonymous.

*shrug* I wouldn't be surprised if it's some paperwork technicality, y'all act like you've never worked for the government before.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah I get why collaborators might want to not be exposed.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Third World Reggin posted:

No need to defend musk and his thing that throws flames

:lol: this was a good troll.

I'm shocked!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jarmak posted:

*shrug* I wouldn't be surprised if it's some paperwork technicality, y'all act like you've never worked for the government before.

:rolleyes:

Yeah the answer is definitely that nobody is auditing mounds of ancient classified papers to see if they qualify for declassification and public release. Nobody pulled out Agent Dipshit's top secret notes on Laotian hookers and decided they would cause exceptionally grave damage to the US after running the question up the chain for 6 months.

Not revealing living collaborators is totally a good reason but it's gonna be secondary to the bureaucratic answer imo.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 13, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08 posted:

It'll be cool if Musk's Tesla meltdowns don't also ruin Space-X with even more toxicity than it already has.

Uhhhhh.... am I missing something? I thought SpaceX was still the hotness.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

When you think about it, Trump has way more in common with Kim Jong Un than he does with the average American citizen

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

El oh el

Trump says that NK is no longer a nuclear threat

His brain is so smooth, the smoothest you wouldn't believe it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a flamethrower:

The Flametosser

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I dunno, I've been in the Tesla plant and it looked pretty automated to me.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
There's a lesson somehwere in there about paying a billionaire $500 for a sexy gadget that does the same thing as a $30 propane torch from Hobo Freight. The only thing that would have made it better is if they stuck a prpoprietary adapter on it and made you subscribe to monthly shipments of fuel. Truly the Juicero of flamethrowers.

I have one of those cheap torches for killing weeds and lighting charcoal BBQ/firepits in 30sec, and it's great. I want a cheap electric car someday that doesn't look like a plastic coffin too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It's too bad they'll very likely die in peace, but their grandchildren will be eaten by our grandchildren, inshallah.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a flamethrower:

the other important difference is the fuel isn't totally consumed by the time it (the fuel and flame) reaches the target

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: this was a good troll.

Thanks, I try.

you should of seen the one that got someone reposting "if you hate the south, you hate blacks" over and over again for a few months each time I posted

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

El oh el

Trump says that NK is no longer a nuclear threat

His brain is so smooth, the smoothest you wouldn't believe it

It's basically a friction-less orb now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
HOLY poo poo

COHEN IS ROLLING

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1006906514592890881?s=19

Needs more sourcing, but looooooool

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

HOLY poo poo

COHEN IS ROLLING

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1006906514592890881?s=19

Needs more sourcing, but looooooool

Like he has much of a choice. He got caught with everything in his hands and his pants down.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

And now for something different: the MPRraccoon is safe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44465587

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dubzee posted:

And now for something different: the MPRraccoon is safe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44465587

The real Mattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

North America won the world cup bid for 2026

Joint bid of canada/usa/mexico

Wonder if that's gonna hold

• Locked thread