Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't think I was ever engaged enough by GSnM to be mad about any of the plot elements mentioned so far. It's like if every VN stereotype combined to form an 'ok' product. If you describe it to someone who knows about VNs but hasn't read any they'd be like "yup that's a VN".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

don't let my salt stop you. i've heard the other three side routes are very good.

Oh, absolutely not. Even speaking as someone who still likes the game the side routes are completely poo poo; they feel like they were written by a temp or something. The "common" route is the good part.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I've played G-Maou too and yeah. I was left with a "why is this so highly reviewed on vndb?" feeling. I love playing murder/mystery VNs and it's my curse because they very rarely satisfy me. I played Chaos;Head too but didn't finish and can't remember why I disliked it. But it was probably another one of those "this person can write anxiety/rising terror but nothing else".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't particularly like G-Senjou but I do think it's a lot better than Akabeisoft2's other big/notable game, Sharin no Kuni. That's really less praise for G-Senjou than it is a dig on Sharin no Kuni, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I liked both Sharin no Kuni and G-Senjou quite a bit, both were fun and had mostly interesting ideas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The ending to Danganronpa V3 is sure something

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cake Attack posted:

It's spectacular, isn't it?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Cake Attack posted:

I need to find a half decent LP of that cause I'm not going to buy it a 2nd time to see the ending.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Seems like Limited Run Games are doing a physical release of HiFM.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yo

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1006252980104880130?s=19

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is it the original vita port with the new stuff

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Is it the original vita port with the new stuff

I dunno what that entails but here's what novectacle said

https://twitter.com/Novectacle_EN/status/1006273006027456512?s=19

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool I might actually get round to playing it now I don't have to stare at my TV to do so

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like it is. Collected Edition included the original game, the fandisk that we just got, another new chapter set in modern day with voice acting (only that new chapter not the entire game), and also some short stories that were originally published on the website and in magazines.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool I might actually get round to playing it now I don't have to stare at my TV to do so

saku hooks his computer up to his tv lets make fun of hin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Radio Free Kobold posted:

god i feel exactly the same way about g-senjou no maou. the whole first half of the game is this crime thriller, it keeps hinting that your alter-ego is the main villain, even the other characters are getting suspicious. there's lots of suspense and drama and i really really enjoyed it. it's like the whole thing is the setup for this psychological character drama where the big reveal is that actually YOU are the bad guy and the main character and all the heroines have to come to terms with that, and what that means for the main character's Self and all their relationships...

and then as soon as you lock into the final route it just goes right down the shitter. suddenly a whole scene-long infodump about some guy nobody's ever heard of who is actually the main villain who is, i poo poo you not, your long-lost twin brother that was mentioned once in a "yeah he died when i was a baby" kind of way and never even referred to again and the player has no reason to care about this new fuckboy, and then the rest of the game is (presumably) about the MC and the main girl teaming up to git da bad guy in the most vanilla "hero wins" way. that all flies in the face of the entire rest of the story. god, i read it like, more than a year ago and i am still so triggered by awful-writing whiplash.

Oh man, this was exactly my reaction. I was so excited for the (I thought) inevitable drama when it was revealed that the protagonist was doing this stuff, and love interest's (forget her name) reaction to it. But then it just introduced this random guy.

What really bothered me is that a number of things don't even make sense in light of this revelation. Like, all the scenes where protagonist's memory loss just happens to perfectly coincide with Maou doing poo poo end up being some of the most absurd red herrings ever, and other stuff (like when the protagonist feels an inexplicable sense of accomplishment at love interest not catching Maou during chapter 1* - seriously, wtf?) makes zero sense unless the protagonist is also Maou.

Part of me thinks that the writer was actually planning for that to be the twist, and then near then end he figured out that he couldn't come up with a good way to resolve the situation and decided to choose the easy route of just having there be some other villain.

* This is really the worst, since it just flat-out literally has no other explanation.

NRVNQSR posted:

I felt GSnM dropped the ball in the last act too, but for very different reasons. The twist was a bit dumb and poorly handled but I didn't really have a problem with it; for me the problem was that I liked the main heroine, and the last act completely removes all of her personality and competence, becoming little more than a victim to be saved by the MC.

This too; I feel like the switch to her loving the protagonist was very abrupt. Like they went from having this interesting relationship where she was suspicious and never let her guard down to her becoming a typical VN waifu suddenly in the final act.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 11, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

it's like they had two different writers. one guy for the meat of the game who was pretty good, and some loving hack for the route.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I highly recommend it. It's an amazing VN

I'm going to buy Fata Morgana again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tsumihoroboshi in 2 days :siren:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

voltcatfish posted:

Tsumihoroboshi in 2 days :siren:

I'm really hyped about this and also very thankful to this thread, because Steam is such a pile of poo poo these days that when I go to the store page for part 6 of an eight-part serial where I own and have gotten all the achievements for the first 5 and it's all "Is this relevant to your interests? It doesn't look similar to other games you've played", come onnnnnn. I would have never known it was finally coming without hearing it here.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Alright could use some advice. I'm plowing through Clannad a second time, first was the fan translation a while back, this time on steam. A friend and I are amusing each other trading recaps, my Clannad to his Muv Luv. But I need a break from the schmaltz.

My #1 thing in vns is the music. I've played Clannad, most of Air, Tsukihime, Ever17, Narcissu, Planetarian, Dysfunctional Systems if that counts, and about a fifth of F/SN from a fan translation of the first arc. Most of them years ago. My hobbies cycle around and I'm back to these for a bit. I watched the Higurashi anime as subs came out. It was strange and messed up and I still have the terrible engrish piano ED in my head eleven years later and a b side Dare so Kare in my mp3 rotation.

So where should I head for a break from key? Umineko? Thread favorite Fata Morgana? Doki Doki? Symphonic Rain looks promising but may be too similar for now. Steins Gate is on my list but I don't know much about it and may check the anime instead.

I don't have a PSP. Edit: or a vita.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

bagrada posted:

My #1 thing in vns is the music.

Read Fata Morgana. The soundtrack is my favorite VN soundtrack, hands down.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bagrada posted:

My #1 thing in vns is the music.

Umineko’s soundtrack is (rightfully) legendary

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

bagrada posted:

Alright could use some advice. I'm plowing through Clannad a second time, first was the fan translation a while back, this time on steam. A friend and I are amusing each other trading recaps, my Clannad to his Muv Luv. But I need a break from the schmaltz.

My #1 thing in vns is the music. I've played Clannad, most of Air, Tsukihime, Ever17, Narcissu, Planetarian, Dysfunctional Systems if that counts, and about a fifth of F/SN from a fan translation of the first arc. Most of them years ago. My hobbies cycle around and I'm back to these for a bit. I watched the Higurashi anime as subs came out. It was strange and messed up and I still have the terrible engrish piano ED in my head eleven years later and a b side Dare so Kare in my mp3 rotation.

So where should I head for a break from key? Umineko? Thread favorite Fata Morgana? Doki Doki? Symphonic Rain looks promising but may be too similar for now. Steins Gate is on my list but I don't know much about it and may check the anime instead.

Muv Luv :smug:

shitposting aside, the steins;gate anime is very good, the VN is also very good. i'd recommend picking one, mostly because my experience was watching the anime, loving it, but then not reading the VN because all it has for me now is side routes, more scenes, and figuring out the timefuckery myself (which can be done with a very convoluted flowchart). the anime does a very good job of covering the main plot and now the VN doesn't have appeal :(

doki doki is good for an afternoon or two, it's about the same tier as katawa shoujo. y'know, good for what they do but they don't really bear much talking about after the fact. really, doki just makes me wish totono was translated because the appeal seems similar. if you're in the market for short english VNs, consider Analogue: A Hate Story. it's a mixture of terminal commands and VN in a sci-fi setting where you try and figure out what happened to this ghost spaceship and who the hell this *Hyun-Ae AI is, she's not supposed to exist.

I've heard good things about Dies Irae, but I haven't played it. It's probably worth considering, some other goon might have more to say.

If you can stomach the ~50 hour windup to the 'main' game, I actually will unironically recommend Muv Luv (Alternative). Muv Luv is tolerable, I stomached it because Meiya is my type, but holy god is Alternative the best VN I have read. You can't just drop into Alternative however, then you won't have any of the emotional investment and even the poo poo you do understand you won't care about. You gotta inoculate yourself with waifuism to get the experience.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 13, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you love good VN music then by god play either Umineko or Fata Morgana, they both have excellent OST's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll also add that I personally thought Alternative was worse than Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited. It starts out better but gets bogged down in repetition pretty hard.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 13, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bagrada posted:

Umineko/Fata Morgana are going to be the best answers. Higurashi does feature some great tracks but it's almost entirely backloaded to the last four chapters due to reasons. It's been years since I played Symphonic Rain but I don't think it was ultimately that memorable in either the music or story aspects.

While the Steins;Gate anime is indeed great I feel like it's a bit of a waste if someone is willing to play VNs doesn't at least give the VN a try first; it does feature a better art style and there are some things the anime changes around or cuts that I don't necessarily think were for the better.

E: Probably worth revisiting FSN as well now that there are souped up PC Realta Nua versions with additional RN music (NOT that one patch that adds the Vita soundtrack though, since it's butt).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 13, 2018

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the tips, I will check out the first let's play posts of umineko and morgana and grab one of those next, and will look into the others mentioned.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

bagrada posted:

Thanks for the tips, I will check out the first let's play posts of umineko and morgana and grab one of those next, and will look into the others mentioned.

ProfessorProf's LP of Umineko is great. Unfortunately I had to stop following it 3/4 of the way through because I was reaching the end of PhD and it consumed my life, but it was a really fun way to experience the majority of that game at the time.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Higurashi is on sale on gog.com again looks like. $1.49 for chapter 1, or $16.45 for Chs 1-5. Is that all of it that has been officially translated so far?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

bagrada posted:

Higurashi is on sale on gog.com again looks like. $1.49 for chapter 1, or $16.45 for Chs 1-5. Is that all of it that has been officially translated so far?

Chapter 6 comes out soon. I think there's only 8 chapters of the actual story, not counting spinoffs and junk.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Which version of the original Fate do I want to read, because I'm interested but I assume it has a bunch of re-releases

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 14, 2018

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I know I'm probably super late to the Fata Morgana party, but this thing is really good and I'm not even that far in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

voltcatfish posted:

Which version of the original Fate do I want to read, because I'm interested but I assume it has a bunch of re-releases
Fate/stay night? You want the Realta Nua PC release that came out a few years ago, wherein each of the three routes were individual game installs (they all share the same save directory and thus only need to be patched once).

I personally recommend the vanilla/no frills TL patch as opposed to the Vita addition patch(s) because the latter IMO isn't implemented that well and the new music is a lot worse than the original.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Fate/stay night? You want the Realta Nua PC release that came out a few years ago, wherein each of the three routes were individual game installs (they all share the same save directory and thus only need to be patched once).

I personally recommend the vanilla/no frills TL patch as opposed to the Vita addition patch(s) because the latter IMO isn't implemented that well and the new music is a lot worse than the original.

Thank you!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Less than an hour to Higurashi Chapter 6 :supaburn:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Less than an hour to Higurashi Chapter 6 :supaburn:
It's here~

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I just finished chapter 6 of Higurashi. I think I figured out a large part of the mystery.

In particular Takano never died. Rather, she is responsible for orchestrating everything. Her remains that were found weren't actually her remains.. Rather, they were another body's remains with her DNA added to make it identified as hers. Perhaps it was a dead family member. She got access to that drug (parasite?) that makes people delusional and claw their own throat out. She uses it on her camera friend. She uses the keys that she would have as a nurse to kill Irie. She kills Rika, and does something to make the Great Himizawa Disaster happen.

On a separate note, I figured out that the reason the body was removed in chapter 3 was the same as the bodies were removed in chapter 6. The Sonozaki's figured out where the body was buried, and decided to move it to help Keiichi.

Some things I don't yet have answers for:

What exactly is the drug/parasite thing that we've seen on multiple occasions (the syringe)? There appears to be and antidote one as well (that Rika had)?
Why does Takano do the thing she does? In particular, why would she cause the GHD?
What is up with Keiichi and Rika remembering past timelines?
What is up wtih Rika in general? She seems to have another personality that she things is Oyashiro-sama, and has been through hundreds of timelines?
What is the catalyst for all of the descent into madness? I'm guessing it is generally the contents of the syringe, but when exactly were everyone infected? With Takano giving her notes? IIRC, Keiichi got in in Ch1, Shion in Ch2, and of course Rena in Ch6. Were Rika syringes always antidotes, and the notes themselves laced with something?

On a side note, I love Higurashi's music. I don't remember how much of it was new in Ch6 as it has been so long since I've played the previous chapters, but I have been getting it stuck in my head.

rvm
May 6, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

I just finished chapter 6 of Higurashi. I think I figured out a large part of the mystery.

<snip>

So, you didn't believe aspiring History Channel host Ryugi Rena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MegaZeroX posted:

On a side note, I love Higurashi's music. I don't remember how much of it was new in Ch6 as it has been so long since I've played the previous chapters, but I have been getting it stuck in my head.
By this point while one may not necessarily have the answers for what the solution IS, Tsumihoroboshi makes it pretty explicit what it is NOT. I really loved the way they framed the story in that it's an exact/explicit answer for what really happened during Onikakushi (Keiichi went delusional and murdered his friends unjustifiably) but with the roles reversed. All clustered around a rather humanizing/relable and downright :smith: story about a family struggling to keep itself together. I have not had a chance to get that far (I wanted to wait until the PS3 patches started floating around), but did they still do the thing where Rena's monologue starts out in pink text, only to get more and more crimson red as she descends into her delusions? I thought that was rad as gently caress when it started happening.

I think all of the tracks starting with Ch. 5 are new, but Ch. 6 has some really really memorable ones that play out at the end since they coincide with some pretty :hellyeah: moments.