Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cabbit posted:

I can't follow the train. The train has mounts and aethernet access and is level 20, whereas I'm level 5, stuck on foot, and everything can one-shot me.

To be fair, people are very accommodating if you join a group, but it's still incredibly boring and you'll also spend upwards of 30 hours contributing absolutely nothing and only getting lovely eureka XP that's not useful anywhere else.

Eureka for gear is incredibly bad, so don't do it. I'd say run more dungeons with your newbie bonus to get tons of tomes and get gear super easy, but they cut 50% dungeons out of the game since ARR to put in poo poo like eureka, lmao

Get a goon to craft you some gear instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I can't follow the train. The train has mounts and aethernet access and is level 20, whereas I'm level 5, stuck on foot, and everything can one-shot me.

The guide said to just follow the train but I might as well be trying to keep up with an actual locomotive.

Realistically, you're looking at more like 2-3 weeks to get to level 9 and at least get Aethernet access before you can follow the train comfortably. My personal recommendation is to instead spend that time earning gil and buying a weapon off the AH, which is both substantially better than the Eureka weapon and doesn't require you to sit in a field killing loving rats and slugs for 20 hours.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh it's definitely bad for fast gearing up but as a place people really overblow how slow it is for just getting the stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No it literally takes 20+ hours just to get into the level range where you start getting ingredients for gear regularly in fate trains. If you run dungeons that time investment will net you over 10k tomes at the minimum, and you get to actually play the game and contribute with damage or heals and whatnot. In eureka, you'll have absolutely nothing to show for in those first 20 hours, as fates above your level don't even drop loving tomes.

It's really just awful awful design.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

No it literally takes 20+ hours just to get into the level range where you start getting ingredients for gear regularly in fate trains. If you run dungeons that time investment will net you over 10k tomes at the minimum, and you get to actually play the game and contribute with damage or heals and whatnot. In eureka, you'll have absolutely nothing to show for in those first 20 hours, as fates above your level don't even drop loving tomes.

It's really just awful awful design.

You are doing something severely wrong if it takes you 20 hours to get into train range.

I'm not talking about gearing up, but for getting the actual eureka items people are vastly exaggerating the time requirements.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It took me 3 lockouts to get to level 9, that's already 9 hours. All I did was follow the train and get gold on all fates by spamming aoe heals. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear about it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You are doing something severely wrong if it takes you 20 hours to get into train range.

I'm not talking about gearing up, but for getting the actual eureka items people are vastly exaggerating the time requirements.

It is 20 hours. It isn't 20 hours to just start getting resources, but I was in there 20 hours to finish my first weapon and armor set and be level 19.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eureka bad

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Truga posted:

It took me 3 lockouts to get to level 9, that's already 9 hours. All I did was follow the train and get gold on all fates by spamming aoe heals. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear about it.

Do the challenge log

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

It is 20 hours. It isn't 20 hours to just start getting resources, but I was in there 20 hours to finish my first weapon and armor set and be level 19.

Please document how you did this in exacting detail, because I very much want a dyeable version of the SAM gear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Please document how you did this in exacting detail, because I very much want a dyeable version of the SAM gear.
You get on the train and you follow it, from level 2 to level 20.

Now they've added challenge logs and you should do those too to make a little faster, but get on the train after you're done with them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I forgot about challenge logs. It's really stupid that you can't do them in the train until you're high enough level, too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

homeless snail posted:

You get on the train and you follow it, from level 2 to level 20.

Now they've added challenge logs and you should do those too to make a little faster, but get on the train after you're done with them.

Okay, well, this goes back to the "they have aethernet and mounts, I literally cannot keep up with the train" problem.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Okay, well, this goes back to the "they have aethernet and mounts, I literally cannot keep up with the train" problem.

You use sprint, the train will never be too fast on that front once you've joined the herd, and all the people ahead of you will aggro most of the mobs so you don't have to deal with them. I never had any issue keeping up with the swarm of mounted people.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cabbit posted:

That's not true though. You can sneak past the monsters, the train stays in one place for ahwile, they probably won't touch the aethernet more than once or twice per cycle, and many people have two person mounts and would be glad to give you a ride if you ask.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

homeless snail posted:

That's not true though. You can sneak past the monsters, the train stays in one place for ahwile, they probably won't touch the aethernet more than once or twice per cycle, and many people have two person mounts and would be glad to give you a ride if you ask.

Seemed pretty true whenever I tried it, but I guess I'll give it another swing.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Why are you assholes telling poor shadowpriest man to do eureka? HASNT HE SUFFERED ENOUGH?!

Tbh if you need to upgrade your weapon 'd say just buy a decent weapon from the marketboard, it should run you <1mil? If you don't have enough I've always made a good profit from running maps which I assume goons will be up for.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I saw an ADS mount identical to the Shatter one but it was glowing yellow. Where the hell do you get it?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I saw an ADS mount identical to the Shatter one but it was glowing yellow. Where the hell do you get it?

100 wins in the new frontline queue.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You use sprint, the train will never be too fast on that front once you've joined the herd, and all the people ahead of you will aggro most of the mobs so you don't have to deal with them. I never had any issue keeping up with the swarm of mounted people.

Pretty much this, although I will caveat and say I haven't set foot in that shithole since a week after it came out. At this time, maybe things are different.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, when are video game flamethrowers fun?

Ratchet and Clank

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Roepostin':

They're so *dinky*!

Regardless, in one month and a change of eyewear, I'll be able to go from Bohemian Librarian to Beach Bum, I can't wait.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The most important thing about being low level in eureka has nothing to do with having mounts and aethernet access and everything to do with knowing the different kinds of aggro. Almost every mob in eureka has a vision cone, and the ones that don't either aggro by sound (not sure this applies to any of the NM mobs, actually), by spells being casted near them, or by being low health in their presence. You can literally walk right behind a lv19 mob at lv1 as long as it's the kind that aggros by sight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sade posted:

The most important thing about being low level in eureka has nothing to do with having mounts and aethernet access and everything to do with knowing the different kinds of aggro. Almost every mob in eureka has a vision cone, and the ones that don't either aggro by sound (not sure this applies to any of the NM mobs, actually), by spells being casted near them, or by being low health in their presence. You can literally walk right behind a lv19 mob at lv1 as long as it's the kind that aggros by sight.

I don't think any are aggroed by sound. Most are aggroed by sight, the coffin arm guys in the north are aggroed by being low health (or just being hit? not positive, it's definitely blood related). Which ones aggro by spell cast? Haven't seen those before.

I feel like I need to grind out Eureka 20 before the next wing comes out or i'll NEVER get it done.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't think any are aggroed by sound. Most are aggroed by sight, the coffin arm guys in the north are aggroed by being low health (or just being hit? not positive, it's definitely blood related). Which ones aggro by spell cast? Haven't seen those before.

I feel like I need to grind out Eureka 20 before the next wing comes out or i'll NEVER get it done.

Anything with "sprite" in the name has magic aggro for sure. Not sure if there are any others.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xun posted:

Why are you assholes telling poor shadowpriest man to do eureka? HASNT HE SUFFERED ENOUGH?!

No.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Where in the Gold Saucer do I go for the gold dance and exclamation emote?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Which ones aggro by spell cast? Haven't seen those before.
The various elementals.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Skip Eureka, wait until they add the dyable gear in some other form (or overhaul Eureka). Neither is likely to happen IMO so just skip Eureka because it's awful.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Where in the Gold Saucer do I go for the gold dance and exclamation emote?

One of the vendors should have the gold dance, sadly the exclamation is mogstation only now.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I know about a Roe!

I think this might be the first time I've posted him in the thread actually.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thumbtacks posted:

The fans in the higher level cave areas are sound-aggro, that much I know for sure. As long as you make sure to walk and not run, you can stroll right past them and they won't know a thing. It's not super useful, but they exist.

Eureka definitely gets less painful once you're over level 9 (as more fates start giving you good exp), but it's kind of a bear to get there. I leveled myself to 20 before the challenge log, and powergrinded my friends to 15 or so recently through the power of challenge logs and the fact that an unpartied paladin can flash to take aggro but not ruin peoples' exp. If you were dedicated and had a high level friend to spawn a few lower level fates for you, level 9 could be done in a few hours no problem.

It's still faster to just go and get a lost allagan weapon or something, though. I dunno how the prices are on goonserver but where I play, 350 crafted stuff will run you 1.5m+ each, which just isn't feasible for some people. And clown crystalloids are still limited to one a week because reasons.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

orcane posted:

Skip Eureka, wait until they add the dyable gear in some other form (or overhaul Eureka). Neither is likely to happen IMO so just skip Eureka because it's awful.

Seems kind of lovely that they're putting the relics weapons this time around in there. I've never completed a relic and always regretted it, but goddamn trying to actually level up in Eureka is so boring and takes forever. At least with the older relics you could run different things to work on it I guess.

Speaking of, how easy is it to complete a HW relic at this point? I wouldn't mind having the WHM one.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ouhei posted:

I've never completed a relic and always regretted it

Never regret this.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

Seems kind of lovely that they're putting the relics weapons this time around in there. I've never completed a relic and always regretted it, but goddamn trying to actually level up in Eureka is so boring and takes forever. At least with the older relics you could run different things to work on it I guess.

Speaking of, how easy is it to complete a HW relic at this point? I wouldn't mind having the WHM one.

I never expected good things when they started talking about having SB relic stuff take place in their next attempt at making Diadem good.

The HW relics are not that bad anymore but they're still pretty grindy. You have the following stages:
  • FATE farming for crystals is okay, you only need one crystal per zone. Some zones might take a while but at least you'll complete a bunch of challenge logs.
  • Run a bunch of level 50 and then the HW dungeons up to Vault. You can unsync all of this now.
  • Unidentified items (4x 10) - this takes some farming. In poetics it's up to 6000 tomes + some GC seals or money for the crafted items. You can spend a bunch of other currencies on the unid items (like beast tribe currencies, hunt seals).
  • Bring 5 aether oils - either you have them from the Crystal Tower weekly quest, or you buy them for poetics (I think it's 350 per).
  • Umbrite stage. This is a pain in the rear end and takes a while unless you have tons of the right mats stockpiled already. You need to spend about 6000 poetics on Umbrite alone. Crystal sand requires turnins, there are a bunch of alternatives (GC seals -> moonstones, scrips, some items you can buy off the MB or up to 9000 poetics if you don't hate yourself enough yet). A pretty good, but boring way is farming chests in HW leves for amber encased vilekin.
  • Bring some guy 50 crystals. You unlock a weekly (18 crystals for running LLDR 3 times) and daily (1 crystal for running 50/60DR), and you can buy the crystals for a handful of poetics. This stage is pretty quick.
  • Light farming. You get to make some anime glass (forgot the mats) and then you run specific content (mostly HW, but not exclusively). Takes a few hours but it's mostly tedious.
  • Someone else has to tell you about the final step because light farming bores the hell out of me so I never finished :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Last step is just a victory lap, some unsynced trials or dungeons IIRC.
edit: that was it, thanks!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 13, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's all the ARR and HW primal battles in a row. And not even on Extreme so yeah it's completely trivial.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The relic should just go into your pockets and accrue points for doing group content, regardless of the class you're playing, with bonuses for helping first time donations and daily roulettes.

Eureka is bad, but I think it could be okay as a Timeless Isle style zone. You would have to strip out the obnoxious levelling system and make the events there more varied and interesting though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

orcane posted:

I never expected good things when they started talking about having SB relic stuff take place in their next attempt at making Diadem good.

The HW relics are not that bad anymore but they're still pretty grindy. You have the following stages:
  • FATE farming for crystals is okay, you only need one crystal per zone. Some zones might take a while but at least you'll complete a bunch of challenge logs.
  • Run a bunch of level 50 and then the HW dungeons up to Vault. You can unsync all of this now.
  • Unidentified items (4x 10) - this takes some farming. In poetics it's up to 6000 tomes + some GC seals or money for the crafted items. You can spend a bunch of other currencies on the unid items (like beast tribe currencies, hunt seals).
  • Bring 5 aether oils - either you have them from the Crystal Tower weekly quest, or you buy them for poetics (I think it's 350 per).
  • Umbrite stage. This is a pain in the rear end and takes a while unless you have tons of the right mats stockpiled already. You need to spend about 6000 poetics on Umbrite alone. Crystal sand requires turnins, there are a bunch of alternatives (GC seals -> moonstones, scrips, some items you can buy off the MB or up to 9000 poetics if you don't hate yourself enough yet). A pretty good, but boring way is farming chests in HW leves for amber encased vilekin.
  • Bring some guy 50 crystals. You unlock a weekly (18 crystals for running LLDR 3 times) and daily (1 crystal for running 50/60DR), and you can buy the crystals for a handful of poetics. This stage is pretty quick.
  • Light farming. You get to make some anime glass (forgot the mats) and then you run specific content (mostly HW, but not exclusively). Takes a few hours but it's mostly tedious.
  • Someone else has to tell you about the final step because light farming bores the hell out of me so I never finished :v:

Hmm, might be worth doing on the side as something to keep myself busy.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Last step is going through all the Primal Hard trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ratchet and Clank

The first game's flamethrower sucked poo poo, sorry to say