Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s always kinda weird when I have to explain the Star Wars films to fans.

Dude, you don't have to explain anything to me. I get it.

Emporer Leia loves the Empire, that's why she's always killing imperial troops with her own imperial troops, whom she hates with a passion that defines her character.

We're just gonna have to agree to agree because we are totally in sync on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leia believes that the Empire is a different entity than the Republic - or, rather, that the Republic was an entity that was not doomed to transform into the Empire.

There's room for disagreement on that issue.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Leia believes that the Empire is a different entity than the Republic - or, rather, that the Republic was an entity that was not doomed to transform into the Empire.

There's room for disagreement on that issue.

No, not really.

Leia’s specific issue with the Principate system is that one particular senator has too much power. She’s specifically trying to gradually reduce Palpatine’s power over the rest of the Senate and (in the broader context of the series) restore things to roughly the way they were at the end of the Clone Wars.

Leia is not in support of any major change, because she’s a fuckin princess. The Senate is made up of the wealthy. Most of the damage she does is accidental.

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
A while ago, it was stated, possibly by SMG, that Nute Gunray and the rest of the Separatist leadership, save Count Dooku, are essentially libertarian.

It was also stated by SMG that Star Wars fans are also essentially libertarian.

Of all the factions in all the various Star Wars, it seems that the Separatists are the least popular among the fans.

I'd like to hear the reasoning for this discrepancy, to further my own understanding.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Counteresperanto posted:

A while ago, it was stated, possibly by SMG, that Nute Gunray and the rest of the Separatist leadership, save Count Dooku, are essentially libertarian.

Of all the factions in all the various Star Wars, it seems that the Separatists are the least popular among the fans.

I'd like to hear the reasoning for this discrepancy, to further my own understanding.

Star Wars fans are predominately liberal, and they are okay with libertarians and feudalists so long as they are ‘on our side’.

Dooku is a feudalist who opposed the liberal Republic, so he’s a bad guy. Leia is a feudalist who stands for pretty much the exact same things, but she’s an ally of the liberal New Republic and therefore a good guy.

Under this same logic, Lando is a good libertarian, while Nute Gunray is a bad libertarian.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No, not really.

Leia’s specific issue with the Principate system is that one particular senator has too much power. She’s specifically trying to gradually reduce Palpatine’s power over the rest of the Senate and (in the broader context of the series) restore things to roughly the way they were at the end of the Clone Wars.

Leia is not in support of any major change, because she’s a fuckin princess. The Senate is made up of the wealthy. Most of the damage she does is accidental.

Right, but my point was that she thinks that the situation she wants to return to is qualitatively different from the present situation. Otherwise it would be the contradiction of the thing she was trying to destroy and the thing she was trying to create being the same thing according to her own perception. There's no contradiction, despite what PostNouveau was asking about.

The character distinguishes between the government before the Supreme Chancellor declared himself Emperor, and the government after. This is not obviously true: as you have demonstrated it's very straightforward to think of those conditions as continuous and of the same essence.

Leia herself never personally experienced the pre-Imperial period, and she was raised by the person who was the runner-up in the last election Palpatine won. So she's got plenty of opportunity to mythologize that past.

Counteresperanto posted:

It's natural for people to have a negative response to a caricature of an attribute they identify with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Counteresperanto posted:

The Trade Federation were the true heroes of the Star Wars, to be honest.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, but my point was that she thinks that the situation she wants to return to is qualitatively different from the present situation.

Well yeah, she’s not a cynic. But it’s important to stress that A New Hope is nonetheless about a Krennic-style power-play where Leia uses a shitload of political trickery to sabotage her competitors within the organization (e.g. Tarkin and the other regional governors) and benefit herself.

Like even in the opening scene, Leia’s gambit is to claim that they’re a consular ship - which is basically declaring herself a mobile embassy.

Leia is brazenly lying because this should make her untouchable. Vader is attacking an embassy. But then Vader outsmarts her by sending a fake distress call, presumably claiming that everyone died in some kind of accident.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
You're making a lot of assertions unsupported by the text. You've taken a single line where Leia tries to claim senatorial authority as proof of where her true allegiance lies, ignoring the context that the entire scene is her blatantly lying to Vader's face, and he immediately cuts through her bullshit and identifies her - correctly - as a member of the Rebel Alliance.

Later on, in the Death Star briefing, the generals discuss the possibility of the rebellion 'gaining support' in the senate - in other words, the rebellion has allies in the senate, but nobody considers them one and the same. Tarkin then announces the senate's disillusion, and it is never mentioned again. One would think that if Leia or the rebellion's goal was the restoration of the pre-Palpatine status quo, they would respond by creating a new senate-in-exile, or at least would discuss the impact of its destruction, yet all the textual evidence is that this power shift doesn't affect the Rebellion's ideology or power base whatsoever.

Your argument is unsupported by the text.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the part where the rebellion runs around like a headless chicken for three years between a new hope and empire suggests the dissolution of the senate did affect their ideology and power base

like, does anyone know what the hell the rebellion are doing on hoth except hiding from the empire? they've basically given up at that point. part of the reason TLJ comes off so badly is that they put the 'rebellion has given up and is hopeless' scene at the end of the movie instead of at the start, and then keeps talking about how good and important hope is

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Angry Salami posted:

You're making a lot of assertions unsupported by the text. You've taken a single line where Leia tries to claim senatorial authority as proof of where her true allegiance lies, ignoring the context that the entire scene is her blatantly lying to Vader's face, and he immediately cuts through her bullshit and identifies her - correctly - as a member of the Rebel Alliance.

Later on, in the Death Star briefing, the generals discuss the possibility of the rebellion 'gaining support' in the senate - in other words, the rebellion has allies in the senate, but nobody considers them one and the same. Tarkin then announces the senate's disillusion, and it is never mentioned again. One would think that if Leia or the rebellion's goal was the restoration of the pre-Palpatine status quo, they would respond by creating a new senate-in-exile, or at least would discuss the impact of its destruction, yet all the textual evidence is that this power shift doesn't affect the Rebellion's ideology or power base whatsoever.

Your argument is unsupported by the text.

You’re misunderstanding. Leia is obviously both a Senator and part of the Rebel Alliance. The question is, however, her motivation for joining the Rebels - and the simple answer there is that it’s advantageous to her as a Senator.

Leia’s exclusive goal in the film is to destroy the Death Star, because that would take power away from Tarkin and force Palpatine to become once again reliant on the Senate’s bureaucracy:

“How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?”

There is zero indication that Leia’s goal was to destroy the entire government. That’s an assumption - like when Aliens fans just assume Ripley wants to destroy the Weyland-Yutani corporation because she’s ‘the good guy’. The truth is that Ripley wants to protect the corporation from greedy Burke and the aliens, hopefully getting a job in the process.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABaU5YYGW0E

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Counteresperanto posted:

What we see of the Separatists is an industrial hellhole populated by literal drones building other drones, run by petty grifters and a couple stooges who think they're noble and heroic.

That's exactly what libertarianism is, but it's the exact opposite of what libertarians think libertarianism is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Angry Salami posted:

I liked that Rogue One added to this a bit since we see a kinda sorta not officially but really senate in exile in the rebel's leadership being a bunch of other royalty and political folks calling the shots and acting like they're the real deal revolutionaries while still trying to be under the radar and legitimate. It meshes with A New Hope really well because the generals correct in that the senators deciding Palpatine is bad isn't a problem, it's people like Jyn/Leia/etc. that spark off stuff that loudly rallies regular (relatively, I mean it's Star Wars) folks to their cause that would get the senators to openly support the rebellion. Tarkin and Palpatine see it from the top down in terms of a rebellion happening because some senators announce that Palpatine is bad, and therefore dissolving the senate and having the biggest gun will magically end all resistance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

What we see of the Separatists is an industrial hellhole populated by literal drones building other drones, run by petty grifters and a couple stooges who think they're noble and heroic.

That's exactly what libertarianism is, but it's the exact opposite of what libertarians think libertarianism is.

See also, people hating how incompetently the Jedi are portrayed throughout the prequel trilogy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"The Republic is the Empire is the Republic!" is provocative, but should be uncontroversial. SMG et al just recognize that the series is about an internal struggle within one society. (Notwithstanding that it's a very large, far-flung, advanced society, and really a loose confederation that calls itself a Republic sometimes.)

Because it's an American movie that features lots of imagery from WWII, people have tended to frame the conflict as multiple nation-states warring with one another. But Episodes 1-6 tell the story of the Republic dealing with a secession movement by becoming an Empire, which is then brought down by a revolutionary movement.

Consider the English Civil War, which featured conflicts between parliamentarians and royalists, open warfare, invasions, sackings, persecutions of religion and of entire populations, uneasy regencies, and parliament being dissolved by intrigue or by force multiple times. But almost everyone involved recognized it as an internal struggle.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Star Wars fans are predominately liberal, and they are okay with libertarians and feudalists so long as they are ‘on our side’.

Dooku is a feudalist who opposed the liberal Republic, so he’s a bad guy. Leia is a feudalist who stands for pretty much the exact same things, but she’s an ally of the liberal New Republic and therefore a good guy.

Under this same logic, Lando is a good libertarian, while Nute Gunray is a bad libertarian.

Just to add to the conversation: I really don't think you can characterize Gunray as a libertarian. He's a neo-concervative/neo-liberal capitalist. technically, he has state backing even though he doesn't realize it. I don't think Libertarians would use the threat of all-out war to enforce their side of a trade negotiation.

Rand, whom a lot of libertarians idolize, was fiercely anti-war. At the 2004 Libertarian convention, a lot of attendees walked out on Neal Boortz, who had used his radio show as a platform to support the Iraq War.

Also, getting back to an earlier point, it's funny to think about Leia as someone just trying to get a better job but we know that's not who she is because this is a space opera, not a political thriller. I'd argue that, since she's a princess and a senator, the stakes are high and scale is large from the beginning.

We are actually probably correct in believing that she is fighting for a "better" system because that is the archetypal character we are seeing. Whether or not a bureaucracy could ever hold together a galaxy-wide government remains to be seen.

What we know from her quote to Vader, about systems slipping through the Empire's grip, is that she's in favor of the Empire losing ground. She doesn't really say that she needs all those systems to follow her form of government.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 13, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

tadashi posted:

Just to add to the conversation: I really don't think you can characterize Gunray as a libertarian. He's a neo-conervative/neo-liberal capitalist. technically, he has state backing even though he doesn't realize it. I don't think Libertarians would use the threat of all-out war to enforce their side of a trade negotiation.

If Naboo didn't want to get blockaded, they should have bought their own droid army! Bootstraps!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tadashi posted:

Just to add to the conversation: I really don't think you can characterize Gunray as a libertarian. He's a neo-concervative/neo-liberal capitalist. technically, he has state backing even though he doesn't realize it. I don't think Libertarians would use the threat of all-out war to enforce their side of a trade negotiation.

Rand, whom a lot of libertarians idolize, was fiercely anti-war. At the 2004 Libertarian convention, a lot of attendees walked out on Neal Boortz, who had used his radio show as a platform to support the Iraq War.
Every libertarian who actually comes into power behaves like this. Look at Gary Johnson's actual record as governor, for example.

(Ayn Rand argued that modern industrial nations have every right to pillage less developed ones and slaughter their people like animals.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Every libertarian who actually comes into power behaves like this. Look at Gary Johnson's actual record as governor, for example.

(Ayn Rand argued that modern industrial nations have every right to pillage less developed ones and slaughter their people like animals.)

I guess I'm not sure about Johnson's record or what Rand said specifically about that. I just know Rand said something about traders and warriors being fundamentally opposed.

I get that a lot of US politicians who call themselves libertarian or libertarian leaning have shown that they aren't when it comes to armies and wars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Without getting bound up in ephemera: the Separatists are fighting a war because they think government regulation and monopoly on the use of force is oppression. The Trade Federation proclaims the right for a corporate NGO to create a huge private army and use it as they see fit, carefully arguing that everything they're doing is legal. That's American style libertarianism. (The prequel trilogy kicks off with a corporate army forming a blockade.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tadashi posted:

Gunray had to be bullied into occupying Naboo and the Successions had reservations up until the Palpatine and Dooku manipulated the Republic to declare war on them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

New hot take from WaPo.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1006947687500050432

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean, like Trump and our nation Palpatine has no real plans or goals beyond making himself the center of everything and his plan only works because all of the checks and institutions in place that would have prevented someone like him from happening are run by at best centrist chucklefucks. I'll allow it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean, like Trump and our nation Palpatine has no real plans or goals beyond making himself the center of everything and his plan only works because all of the checks and institutions in place that would have prevented someone like him from happening are run by at best centrist chucklefucks. I'll allow it.

His plan was the Revenge of the Sith on the Jedi. The destruction of the Republic, the thing they protected and kept at peace for a thousand years, was just the tool to achieve it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Decius posted:

His plan was the Revenge of the Sith on the Jedi. The destruction of the Republic, the thing they protected and kept at peace for a thousand years, was just the tool to achieve it.

Trump's plan was the destruction of Obama's legacy in response to his humiliation at the hands of Obama at the White House correspondents' dinner. The destruction of our republic is just a tool to help him achieve his goal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tadashi posted:

Trump's plan
Nah.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Shouldn't they have started teasing episode 9 by now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Uncle Wemus posted:

Boyega did a tweet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have they even started shooting it yet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

Gotta let the dust settle from Solo bombing

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

It meshes with A New Hope really well because the generals correct in that the senators deciding Palpatine is bad isn't a problem, it's people like Jyn/Leia/etc. that spark off stuff that loudly rallies regular (relatively, I mean it's Star Wars) folks to their cause that would get the senators to openly support the rebellion. Tarkin and Palpatine see it from the top down in terms of a rebellion happening because some senators announce that Palpatine is bad, and therefore dissolving the senate and having the biggest gun will magically end all resistance.

It’s really more the other way around. The Rebels are specifically dangerous to Palpatine because they’re influencing and empowering the Republican side of the Senate. Palpatine needs the Senate on his side in order to maintain control, otherwise things will just slide back to the usual Republican oligarchy.

Once the Death Star is operational, Tarkin specifically blows up Alderaan as a message to the Republican worlds.

The Rebels are not enormously dangerous on their own. The base we see at the end of A New Hope is apparently the bulk of their forces.

Again, we should go back to Leia’s original plan before things went all unexpectedly crazy.

Her mission is simply to help her father, the King of Alderaan, in his struggle against Palpatine. To that end, she is tasked with finding and recruiting Obi Wan, then spreading word of Palpatine’s plans.

Leia doesn’t know that Palpatine has already dissolved the Senate, and she doesn’t expect them to find the Rebel base. She’s working to protect the Senate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It’s really more the other way around. The Rebels are specifically dangerous to Palpatine because they’re influencing and empowering the Republican side of the Senate. Palpatine needs the Senate on his side in order to maintain control, otherwise things will just slide back to the usual Republican oligarchy.

Once the Death Star is operational, Tarkin specifically blows up Alderaan as a message to the Republican worlds.

The Rebels are not enormously dangerous on their own. The base we see at the end of A New Hope is apparently the bulk of their forces.

Again, we should go back to Leia’s original plan before things went all unexpectedly crazy.

Her mission is simply to help her father, the King of Alderaan, in his struggle against Palpatine. To that end, she is tasked with finding and recruiting Obi Wan, then spreading word of Palpatine’s plans.

Leia doesn’t know that Palpatine has already dissolved the Senate, and she doesn’t expect them to find the Rebel base. She’s working to protect the Senate.

Do you mean her plans at the beginning of ANH? Because she was also planning on delivering the Death Star plans to the Rebellion, hoping they'd find a weakness allowing them to destroy it.

In Rogue One, I forget what her original plans were. Probably the Obi-Wan thing. But then I forget why she was at the Battle of Scariff so she could get the plans.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1007049232291950593

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Didn't they produce like 30 episodes of that and then Disney threw them right in the garbage?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Do you mean her plans at the beginning of ANH? Because she was also planning on delivering the Death Star plans to the Rebellion, hoping they'd find a weakness allowing them to destroy it.

That’s later in the film, after Alderaan is destroyed.

Of course they would certainly analyze the plans at some point or another, but Leia’s goal at the start of the film is to get Obiwan and the data tapes to the Alderaanian King so that the King can beg for help.

Implicitly, the King would present the tapes as evidence of the secret Death Star project to as many potential allies as possible - ultimately turning the Senate against Palpatine.

Things go wrong, however, because the weapon is already done, and the Senate is dissolved before Leia and her father can do anything. Then her dad gets blown up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't they produce like 30 episodes of that and then Disney threw them right in the garbage?

As I recall, what little we saw of this was insanely horrible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

As I recall, what little we saw of this was insanely horrible.

It's likely it just went over your head because you didn't understand all the deep political statements the laser sword cartoon was going for.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PostNouveau posted:

It's likely it just went over your head because you didn't understand all the deep political statements the laser sword cartoon was going for.

You understand movies about as well as Vince Young understood the wonderlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

You understand movies about as well as Vince Young understood the wonderlic

The wonderlic is culturally biased :colbert: