Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That's not really Hilda, it's more like a Shadow version of Zelda or something

what do you think Hilda is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Daisy is just the Peach Waluigi.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Oxyclean posted:

Daisy is just the Peach Waluigi.

That's Rosalina

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Daisy is Luigi's ex

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dizz posted:

That's Rosalina

Rosalina is cool and good, she was made for a mainline game. Daisy is just sports game roster filler, much like Waluigi. Yeah I know she gets some off hand mention in some game or some retcon "oh that was totally Daisy in that one game." But c'mon.

This isn't to hate on Daisy or say she isn't worthy of being an echo, just need to speak some truths because I see some motherfuckers dissing on Waluigi and treating Daisy like she's something different.
e:

Kurtofan posted:

Daisy is Luigi's ex

Adding her to the roster seems like a perfect continuation of the Smash/Nintendo tradition of dunking on Luigi endlessly.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Oxyclean posted:

Rosalina is cool and good, she was made for a mainline game. Daisy is just sports game roster filler, much like Waluigi. Yeah I know she gets some off hand mention in some game or some retcon "oh that was totally Daisy in that one game." But c'mon.

This isn't to hate on Daisy or say she isn't worthy of being an echo, just need to speak some truths because I see some motherfuckers dissing on Waluigi and treating Daisy like she's something different.

Daisy was the princess in Super Mario Land, sorry this fucks up your narrative. But you are correct in that Super Mario Land wasn't made by the "core" team and isn't a mainline game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxyclean posted:

e:

Adding her to the roster seems like a perfect continuation of the Smash/Nintendo tradition of dunking on Luigi endlessly.

Daisy debuted in Super Mario Land as a main character and appeared in several mainline titles. Waluigi has never appeared outside of the sports games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zore posted:

Daisy debuted in Super Mario Land as a main character and appeared in several mainline titles. Waluigi has never appeared outside of the sports games.

He’s in the dance dance game

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I still can't believe the west memed Ridley into existence. He looks sick as hell, though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't really process the new knockback speed until I went back and watched some Smash 4 videos right after the tournament. Comparing them side-by-side, Smash 4's knockbacks feel slow as heck.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

He’s in the dance dance game

dancing is a sport.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The main distinction is that Waluigi was invented by Camelot for sports games, whereas Daisy was invented by an internal Nintendo team. It's dumb and petty, but Nintendo doesn't want to acknowledge Waluigi as a "real" Mario character for that reason.

Which sucks, because I would instantly buy an adventure game where Wario and Waluigi are lovely private detectives together.

edit: I typed "Wario" where I meant Waluigi lol

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 13, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
^Too late!!!

deadly_pudding posted:

The main distinction is that Wario was invented by Camelot for sports games, whereas Daisy was invented by an internal Nintendo team. It's dumb and petty, but Nintendo doesn't want to acknowledge Wario as a "real" Mario character for that reason.

Which sucks, because I would instantly buy an adventure game where Wario and Waluigi are lovely private detectives together.

This got posted from an alternate reality where Waluigi and Wario are switched

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My credibility is in shambles, just like Waluigi's status as a canon Wah Brother

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alright, fair enough, I thought Daisy was just some off hand mention in a manual, and that the Princess in that game was just sort of vaguely not peach, sort of like Pauline from Donkey Kong. But it's not like she really did anything to set herself apart from Peach.

I apologize for besmirching Daisy's cannonality.
e:

deadly_pudding posted:

but Nintendo doesn't want to acknowledge Wario as a "real" Mario character for that reason.

edit: I typed "Wario" where I meant Waluigi lol

Your typo isn't totally incorrect. I don't think Wario has shown in a mainline Mario game since Mario Land 2 - and in Smash he gets his own franchise logo.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 13, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zore posted:

Clearly you're forgetting the masterpiece of a game known as Waluigi's Taco Stand.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Oxyclean posted:

e:

Daisy had her own game too, it aint her fault that shigeru forgot about her and decided to not check existing characters when making a new game!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So the site is laid out in a way that makes me think they're gonna go back to the Smash Dojo thing of doing a daily update where they show a new item or stage or fighter or something each day. Which would be SICK. It was kind of sad not having that for the WiiU one

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

daily update

Sakurai is only running on arcane magic at this point. He died years ago.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So the site is laid out in a way that makes me think they're gonna go back to the Smash Dojo thing of doing a daily update where they show a new item or stage or fighter or something each day. Which would be SICK. It was kind of sad not having that for the WiiU one

God I hope they bring back the Dojo, checking that thing and getting to read Sakurai.txt every day was a joy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:siren:STAGE HAZARDS CAN BE TURNED OFF NOW!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YOtEJBlBw

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can't watch the video right now - what exactly is the deal?

I remember hearing one of the commentators mention something about stage hazards being off (and I noticed no pokemon popping out on Saffaron) - I just assumed it was some E3 thing,

I thought it was cool they added Battlefield variants of stages, but was still disappointed because it's not much different from the problem Omega had where it still made a lack of variety of legal stage layouts. This is perfect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is super cool. I watched a video of Shofu react to Cloud's announcement, and I remember how hyped he was when they showed the stage, but then they showed the summons and he was like "oh nevermind that stage is banned as gently caress". I can just imagine how many stages people were excited for to be see at tournaments that were banned because of the hazards. The Pokemon League stage, Midgar, Green Hill Zone, Wily's Castle, etc.

And then on top of that not only are they doing both final destination and battlefield versions of the stage, but it looks like they also listened to feedback about the bottoms of the stages being different casue they all look to be the same shape (from what little the showed)

It looks like they've actually taken into account a LOT of the feedback people have had with regards to tournament play and stuff like that, which is quite cool. Too bad they didn't listen to the most important feedback: Shovel Knight and Captain Toad being in Smash

Oxyclean posted:

I remember hearing one of the commentators mention something about stage hazards being off (and I noticed no pokemon popping out on Saffaron) - I just assumed it was some E3 thing,

I thought it was cool they added Battlefield variants of stages, but was still disappointed because it's not much different from the problem Omega had where it still made a lack of variety of legal stage layouts. This is perfect.

Yeah he said in the video that they didn't mention it in the direct at all but you can now turn off stage hazards

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxyclean posted:

It's Nairo confirming that stage hazards can be turned off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Sakurai is only running on arcane magic at this point. He died years ago.

Masahiro Sakurai is an elf. Tolkien style, immortal and ageless and a master of arts unknown to humans.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

But like, any detail on how it works? Toggle in settings, or something you do at stage pick?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

If anything bill said they are planning to unveil more as time goes on

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Snake in Smash Bros. suffers from genetic memory leakage. Sometimes the mannerisms and memories of his father will leak into his consciousness and he'll suddenly gain a craving for fresh (Yoshi) meat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I really can't wait for Snake to ask Otacon about Mega Man and come away from the conversation believing that Mega Man is a metal gear.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I really can't wait for Snake to ask Otacon about Mega Man and come away from the conversation believing that Mega Man is a metal gear.

He just throws metal gears, Snake. No, not Metal Gears, just

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I just want Dixie Kong and K Rool. Come on Sakurai.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

I just want Dixie Kong and K Rool. Come on Sakurai.

K Rool is ugly as all hell, I don't ever want K Rool. On the other hand, I'm baffled Dixie hasn't been added yet after all this time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxyclean posted:

It's Nairo confirming that stage hazards can be turned off.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder what they had to give konami to be able to use snake again

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Macaluso posted:

K Rool is ugly as all hell, I don't ever want K Rool. On the other hand, I'm baffled Dixie hasn't been added yet after all this time

Ugly as hell is exactly why I want him.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Things aren't over yet. We could still see Dixie.

I only want K. Rool if it's Kaptain K. Rool. He's the cool one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

slev posted:

I wonder what they had to give konami to be able to use snake again

"Hey we're Nintendo and this is Smash Bros, don't be idiots about this like everything else you fucks"

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I still think they should add another Pokémon trainer, with their own three Pokémon to switch between. There are quite a few prominent trainers from the games at this point, like Blue, Giovanni, Cynthia, et al.
I'm procrastinating work right now, so here are some hypothetical teams for them to have:
Blue
-Eevee
-Rhyhorn
-Alakazam

Giovanni (Nidos would be alternate colors)
-Meowth
-Nidorino/Nidorina
-Nidoqueen/Nidoking

Cynthia
-Riolu
-Spiritomb
-Garchomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I just want to play as Gengar. He's my boy but Pokken isn't my game.

By the by, Treehouse is looking at Smash U again right now. They're going over the new mechanics like short hopping and the onscreen radar.

Macaluso posted:

"Hey we're Nintendo and this is Smash Bros, don't be idiots about this like everything else you fucks"

Even evil morons like Konami recognize the power of Smash. People are asking for Simon Belmont, but Dracula would be infinitely cooler.