Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Well now we know how the sea drained away in Mad Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
If it's anything I learned from the Mars trilogy it's that geoengineering and terraforming always work

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Direct carbon capture literally means nothing until we're already zero emission. Y'all grasping that?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

StabbinHobo posted:

I can't wait till 2050 when exxon is running nuke plants in international waters to capture carbon and pump it back into ultra-deepwater wells to bring up their pressure and pump more oil out of them
Joking aside, did you know Exxon actually used to be involved in the nuclear industry? :science:

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/24/business/company-news-exxon-plans-sale-of-nuclear-unit.html

My knowledge of history stops there.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

call to action posted:

Direct carbon capture literally means nothing until we're already zero emission. Y'all grasping that?
I'm not, please explain.

The way I see it, there are some energy demands that are most efficiently filled by fossil fuels and that additional efficiency is worth more than the cost of carbon capture. The market currently does not recognize the cost of emissions but when it does (or is ideally regulated to be so), I think there will still be fossil energy consumption with CCS. Plus it's much easier to capture carbon from high concentration streams (like combustion flue gasses) than it is from the air.

I could be wrong!

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

I guess it depends if the carbon capture system, powered by the carbon emitting power plant, could capture as much carbon as the plant emitted, but the plant still produced surplus energy.

Stated that way, it sounds like a perpetual motion machine. Genuinely curious if it's thermodynamically possible.

e. Within realistic efficiency limits.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 13, 2018

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think it's more realistic that the emissions generated during the process of refining liquid fuels are captured using renewable energy- basically big compressors compressing the CO2 into liquid form and pumping it under ground, with the compressors driven by solar/wind+storage. That still leaves the emissions generated by burning the liquid fuels which would have to be mitigated for via some other pathway. Perhaps scrubbing equivalent emissions out of the atmosphere.

I don't mean to imply that liquid fuels can continue b.a.u. but I think there will still be liquid fuels in the future whose convenience/efficiency makes them worth still using after accounting for the cost of their emissions mitigations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Someone pointed this out in the CSPAM doomsday economics thread...
Giant African baobab trees die suddenly after thousands of years: Demise of nine out of 13 of the ancient landmarks linked to climate change by researchers.

quote:

Between 2005 and 2017, the researchers probed and dated “practically all known very large and potentially old” African baobabs – more than 60 individuals in all. Collating data on girth, height, wood volume and age, they noted the “unexpected and intriguing fact” that most of the very oldest and biggest trees died during the study period. All were in southern Africa – Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, and Zambia.
:thunk:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQz008BGJ0Y

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh sorry I forgot I was in D&D's Pedantrystan. What I meant was that there isn't literally zero place for CCS, there is a infinitesimally small sliver of a place for it when and if we get to near-zero emissions, which will never happen. Sorry.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

spf3million posted:

I'm not, please explain.

The way I see it, there are some energy demands that are most efficiently filled by fossil fuels and that additional efficiency is worth more than the cost of carbon capture. The market currently does not recognize the cost of emissions but when it does (or is ideally regulated to be so), I think there will still be fossil energy consumption with CCS. Plus it's much easier to capture carbon from high concentration streams (like combustion flue gasses) than it is from the air.

I could be wrong!

In that case (say Jet aircraft) it would make more sense to create "solar fuels", fuels derived from hydrogen produced from solar electricity (and wind for that matter).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1006944673976512512

Last chance to visit Miami cats.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Pour one out for all the municipalities that thought their 1m tolerance sea barriers would do poo poo.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 13, 2018

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Good, it can't come soon enough!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Given that Florida's Governor made mentioning Climate Change a firing offense for state employees, I'd say that Alanis has a new verse to add.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Big glaciology drops, lotta bathroom reading this week. Good overview thread:

https://twitter.com/LaurenceDyke/status/1006976355886620672

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

call to action posted:

No. Before carbon sequestration gets us net-negative it's mitigation. After that it's drawdown. Reducing net carbon emissions is not "nothing".

I don't really see the point of opposing CCS/NETs at this point. Last year Kevin Aderson and Glen Peters, (hardly techno-optimists), put out a widely-circulated report on CCS as a moral hazard, and they still concluded that we not only need to do it, we need to do a lot more of it, ASAP, because we might need it. I have no problem with people who want to emphasize the technical hurdles or the danger of allowing it to become an excuse to blow the carbon budget, but opposing it outright is pointless and spiteful.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Leaked UN draft report warns of urgent need to cut global warming

The article posted:

“This IPCC report shows anyone drawing from published papers that there are big differences between 1.5 and 2 degrees warming in both natural and human systems,”

Hare said. “Two degrees warming and the tropical reefs have basically no chance – 1.5 degrees, they have a small to modest chance of survival.

“There’s a range of commentary that comes out of the report that provides a stronger narrative for us to act than ever before.” He said it showed that if emissions continued on their present pathway, there was no chance of limiting global temperature rises even to 3C.“

Mainstream commentary is starting to hint that we're on track for well above 2C. Not toxxing over it, but I expect we'll see the IPCC itself start to admit the future looks more like 4C as a baseline by the early 2020s.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Wakko posted:

Mainstream commentary is starting to hint that we're on track for well above 2C. Not toxxing over it, but I expect we'll see the IPCC itself start to admit the future looks more like 4C as a baseline by the early 2020s.

I've tried to explain to people that if the climate scientists have erred, they have erred on the side of being too conservative on the eventual temperature rise and its consequences.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Wakko posted:

The ever-growing evidence that even 2C warming is substantially worse than 1.5C is concerning, given that the 1.5C "carbon budget" is likely expended within a decade. Napkin math suggests implementing NETs on the scale needed to keep warming to 1.5C would be the most expensive single endeavor in history, at least a trillion USD per year to sustain ~5GT annual CO2 sequestration. I get the sense there was hope that 2C (or 3C) warming wouldn't be sooo bad compared to 1.5C but the consensus seems to be going the other direction.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
As has been shouted into the climate void of this thread numerous times, the ingredients needed to reach something like 4C are not materializing.

4C would require massive CO2 growth and/or high climate sensitivity, neither of which appear to be the case.

If carbon growth is slowing and climate sensitivity estimates are getting lower, how is it that you think 4C could become a baseline?

In other news, following on the strong El Nino a year or so ago, we may get a second El Nino, which could again spike temperatures in the near term.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Arkane posted:

As has been shouted into the climate void of this thread numerous times, the ingredients needed to reach something like 4C are not materializing.

4C would require massive CO2 growth and/or high climate sensitivity, neither of which appear to be the case.

If carbon growth is slowing and climate sensitivity estimates are getting lower, how is it that you think 4C could become a baseline?

In other news, following on the strong El Nino a year or so ago, we may get a second El Nino, which could again spike temperatures in the near term.

Hitting 4C is possible if the feedback loops release large amounts of CH4 into the atmosphere.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Hitting 4C is not only possible, but likely. The question is when. Probably not while we're alive, but the earth has historically been 10C+ hotter. It's certainly possible.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is it alarmism when the alarmists are always right?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Can't wait to get some cherrypicked analyses when I ask what on Earth leads one to believe that ECS estimates are being revised downward.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Can't wait to get some cherrypicked analyses when I ask what on Earth leads one to believe that ECS estimates are being revised downward.

Arkane posted:

We've reigned in and lowered the bounds for climate sensitivity (again), and the high-end climate model will likely drop CO2 emissions projections as well due to the global deployment of renewables obliterating the IEA's projections together with the decarbonization we've seen across the globe, including specifically China.

A sampling of climate sensitivity studies since AR5, including "best guesses":

ECS 2.0 - https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo1836
ECS 2.0 - https://www.earth-syst-dynam-discuss.net/esd-2017-119/esd-2017-119.pdf
ECS 3.0 - https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160012693.pdf
ECS 1.7 - https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1
ECS 2.0 - https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-earth-060614-105156
ECS 2.8 - https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25450
ECS 2.0 - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304380014000404

If you think the scientists that have begun work on AR6 are going to deliver predictions for your much-hyped apocalypse, you're going to be sadly let down.

I'm skeptical we'll reach much higher than 600ppm, if that. Renewables and batteries (storage/electric cars) are getting too good, too quickly for those high-end carbon dioxide scenarios to be realistic anymore.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Wakko posted:

The IPCC has RCP8.5 as its "business as usual" scenario, which corresponds to 5C average warming. This is not some frank admission from a conservative IPCC, it's an acknowledgment of the plain fact (which no one at the IPCC has ever disputed) that current emission rates need to fall rapidly to hit a 2C target, let alone 1.5C.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Arkane posted:

I'm skeptical we'll reach much higher than 600ppm, if that. Renewables and batteries (storage/electric cars) are getting too good, too quickly for those high-end carbon dioxide scenarios to be realistic anymore.

You're quoting a lot of studies that base estimates on observed warming, which tend to estimate lower ECS than model studies that project accelerated warming as longer-term feedbacks take effect, and lower still than paleoclimate studies which tend to show an even higher ECS than geophysical models. So I think R.I.M.'s prediction of cherry-picking is accurate. It's much better to say the range has been narrowed, to something like 2-4C, rather than that it's been revised downwards.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
trees

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Burn'em if you got'em.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

The IPCC has RCP8.5 as its "business as usual" scenario, which corresponds to 5C average warming. This is not some frank admission from a conservative IPCC, it's an acknowledgment of the plain fact (which no one at the IPCC has ever disputed) that current emission rates need to fall rapidly to hit a 2C target, let alone 1.5C.
RCP 8.5 is supposed to be the scenario made if all regulations on carbon emissions were dropped tomorrow - to 19th century standards.
That is not happening.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

RCP 8.5 is supposed to be the scenario made if all regulations on carbon emissions were dropped tomorrow - to 19th century standards.
That is not happening.

That’s not what RCP 8.5 was modeled to describe at all. RCP 8.5 describes a world where countries make Me-First choices, leading to increased coal use as global population rises.

Trabisnikof posted:

Here’s a more accurate description of the RCP 8.5 scenario:

quote:

The scenario’s storyline describes a heterogeneous world with continuously increasing global population, resulting in a global population of 12 billion by 2100. Per capita income growth is slow and both internationally as well as regionally there is only little convergence between high and low income countries. Global GDP reaches around 250 trillion US2005$ in 2100. The slow economic development also implies little progress in terms of efficiency. Combined with the high population growth, this leads to high energy demands. Still, international trade in energy and technology is limited and overall rates of technological progress is modest. The inherent emphasis on greater self-sufficiency of individual countries and regions assumed in the scenario implies a reliance on domestically available resources. Resource availability is not necessarily a constraint but easily accessible conventional oil and gas become relatively scarce in comparison to more difficult to harvest unconventional fuels like tar sands or oil shale. Given the overall slow rate of technological improvements in low-carbon technologies, the future energy system moves toward coal-intensive technology choices with high GHG emissions. Environmental concerns in the A2 world are locally strong, especially in high and medium income regions. Food security is also a major concern, especially in low-income regions and agricultural productivity increases to feed a steadily increasing population.8

Compared to the broader integrated assessment literature, the RCP8.5 represents thus a scenario with high global population and intermediate development in terms of total GDP (Fig. 4). Per capita income, however, stays at comparatively low levels of about 20,000 US$2005 in the long term (2100), which is considerably below the median of the scenario literature. Another important characteristic of the RCP8.5 scenario is its relatively slow improvement in primary energy intensity of 0.5% per year over the course of the century. This trend reflects the storyline assumption of slow technological change. Energy intensity improvement rates are thus well below historical average (about 1% per year between 1940 and 2000). Compared to the scenario literature RCP8.5 depicts thus a relatively conservative business as usual case with low income, high population and high energy demand due to only modest improvements in energy intensity (Fig. 4).

And as far as the specific source energy mixes:

quote:

Coal use in particular increases almost 10 fold by 2100 and there is a continued reliance on oil in the transportation sector. This fossil fuel continuance does not necessarily mean a complete lack of technological progress. In contrast to most other technologies, there are significant improvements in existing fossil alternatives as well as the penetration of a number of new advanced fossil technologies, thus increasing their efficiency and performance in the longer-term. In the electricity sector, this results in a shift towards clean coal technologies from current sub-critical coal capacities. In addition, with conventional oil becoming increasingly scarce, a shift toward more expensive unconventional oil sources takes place by 2050 and the subsequent increases in fossil fuel prices also leads an increased penetration of “synthetic” fuels like coal-based liquids. The increase in fossil fuel prices (about a doubling of both natural gas and oil prices by mid-century) triggers also some growth for nuclear electricity and hydro power, especially in the longer-term. Overall, however, fossil fuels continue to dominate the primary energy portfolio over the entire time horizon of the RCP8.5 scenario (Fig. 5).

In terms of final energy, significant transformations occur in the manner in which energy is used in RCP8.5 (Fig. 6). Particularly electricity continues its historical growth and becomes the dominant mode of energy use mostly in the residential and partly also in the industrial sector. In the long term (beyond 2050) electricity is provided in RCP8.5 to a large extent from non-fossil sources (nuclear and biomass).

Source: Riahi, K., Rao, S., Krey, V. et al. Climatic Change (2011) 109: 33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-011-0149-y

While RCP8.5 was the worst case modeled by the IPCC it certainly is by no means the worst case we could take policywise.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

*information*
I still don't think we're going to reach that scenario as long as the price of renewable energy goes down and (indirectly) cuts down on emissions. Especially as a good number of energy companies start switching from oil/coal to wind/solar as the latter becomes cheaper and thus more profitable. Emissions are already decreasing in parts of Europe and parts of the US (since the EPA can't do much to repeal regulations), so there's already some precedent to this.

Here's another example from India for this: https://qz.com/1272394/cheap-solar-and-wind-energy-prices-are-killing-indias-coal-power-plants/?utm_source=reddit.com

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
If coal does get phased out by choice, then we'll start to see the true extent of warming we've baked in.

Cooling sulfates fall out of the atmosphere within weeks.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
We'd just replace them with our own sulfates.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

That’s not what RCP 8.5 was modeled to describe at all. RCP 8.5 describes a world where countries make Me-First choices, leading to increased coal use as global population rises.

I honestly think you're confusing RCPs with SSPs, or more likely the deprecated SRES framework RCPs and SSPs were created to replace. There are no socioeconomic narratives attached to RCPs. What you're describing here sounds a whole lot like SSP3 and SRES A2, whereas RCP8.5 is really just about describing an emissions pathway that gets us to a radiative forcing of +8.5 W/m2, with the defining feature being that there's no emissions reduction target, ever. So the original comment by Grouchio is correct, and this is wrong.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

We'd just replace them with our own sulfates.

Yeah, putting sulfates into the atmosphere is cheap and easy. And while people point out that it's dangerous, it's certainly not any more dangerous to do it deliberately and precisely than to do it accidentally and haphazardly (i.e. what we're doing right now).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Thug Lessons posted:

And while people point out that it's dangerous, it's certainly not any more dangerous to do it deliberately and precisely than to do it accidentally and haphazardly (i.e. what we're doing right now).

From a geoengineering perspective.

From a geopolitical perspective it's a loving nightmare.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

From a geoengineering perspective.

From a geopolitical perspective it's a loving nightmare.
Well how so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Arkane posted:

I've been reading your posts for like 4 years, and you've managed to slide from believing in 0 degrees to posting studies in an attempt to cast doubt on four degrees.

If I take as given that your belief in 2 degrees warming is in good faith, do you have any regrets about your previous positions which ended up being observably wrong?