Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Uhhh, yeah, debating giving up football on moral objections kinda already took care of that (also Texas has sucked for a while), NFL was all I was really following.

These are the jokes, man. They ain't good but it's all I got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ahh I gotcha.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

weird Asian candy posted:

Tbf there is a lot of time and Blank has already said Julio will be a Falcon for life so I dont think he is going anywhere and they will rework his deal to give him some guaranteed money and be done.

The nfl is weird tho so anything is possible, I just really dont see it happening.

It seems less mercenary than what I'm used to with the EPL though

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

I'm kinda not interested in football anymore I think. With the concussion poo poo already and now the NFL throwing its hat into the ring on political policy it's making me feel pretty uncomfortable supporting or watching the NFL in any way. Will see if I can hold out past preseason though. An entire lifetime of behavior is hard to change.

The CFL is right over there, and they even have JFF these days...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Y’all could watch college football instead

lol, giving up the NFL because of concussions and censorship to watch slaves earn money for rich, old, white men while still getting concussed and censored sure is a thing a person could do.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I'm kinda not interested in football anymore I think. With the concussion poo poo already and now the NFL throwing its hat into the ring on political policy it's making me feel pretty uncomfortable supporting or watching the NFL in any way. Will see if I can hold out past preseason though. An entire lifetime of behavior is hard to change.

I'd like to see the NFL ownership butt itself out of speech issues. It won't happen, because it affects their bottom line.
I'd like to see the NFL leadership actually hold players accountable for domestic abuse. There's a chance that happens now, but we'll see.
I'd like to see the NFL fully guarantee contracts. Maybe have an injury pool between all of the ownership to fully pay the contract of any player whose career is upended by injury or illness,.
I'd like for any player who ever signed a contract with a team and put on pads to be given life-time health insurance to be paid for by the NFL.
I'd like to see the NFL stop the ban on weed immediately, because it's an effective pain manager and dozens of states approve it's use in managing pain.
I'd like to see the NFL continue to change the rules to protect players from concussion, but... it's never going to be 100% effective. The people most impacted by CTE are lineman, they've done nothing to protect those guys.

You're right, football might be beyond redemption and while those above things would certainly improve my outlook on it, even I admit my concerns aren't going to be completely alleviated.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

lol, giving up the NFL because of concussions and censorship to watch slaves earn money for rich, old, white men while still getting concussed and censored sure is a thing a person could do.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Guys...in these trying times...all we have is eachother...

*he says as he hugs That Works and tapes a "Kick Me" sign to his back*

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I also didn't watch much NFL last year outside of the playoffs. A lot of that is because there's a parade every loving Sunday in New Orleans and that's awesome, but it's hard to watch since I don't have cable and I feel bad whenever anyone gets hurt. Mostly I followed the Saints in the news after the games.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Y’all could watch college football instead

:lol: Yeah it's all the same moral objections you already had, plus the players are completely unpaid and treated like poo poo by millionaire coaches and administrators.

Edit: I guess I'm just explaining the joke everyone already got. I'm a bad poster.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 12, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I also didn't watch much NFL last year outside of the playoffs. A lot of that is because there's a parade every loving Sunday in New Orleans and that's awesome, but it's hard to watch since I don't have cable and I feel bad whenever anyone gets hurt. Mostly I followed the Saints in the news after the games.

:lol: Yeah it's all the same moral objections you already had, plus the players are completely unpaid and treated like poo poo by millionaire coaches and administrators.

Edit: I guess I'm just explaining the joke everyone already got. I'm a bad poster.

UGH

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I used to watch any and all football I could but over the last few years I’ve stopped playing Fantasy Football and only watch Saints games now. Just between Bountygate and then all the stuff that has came out since I’ve just kind of stopped watching and started getting into the NBA heavily. So don’t worry about it and just enjoy whatever you want as the big corporations don’t really care in the slightest.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm just gonna watch the games illegally and post here. All those complaints are correct and accurate so I'm going to have as little to do with the NFL as possible beyond watching these amazing players do their thing. I feel you though, poo poo seems really really dark this offseason. But what can I say I'm addicted to the game

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Play posted:

I'm just gonna watch the games illegally and post here. All those complaints are correct and accurate so I'm going to have as little to do with the NFL as possible beyond watching these amazing players do their thing. I feel you though, poo poo seems really really dark this offseason. But what can I say I'm addicted to the game

That's where I been at since before last season, no more money for the league from me. Might continue to do the same but just kinda getting more and more meh about it all as poo poo keeps stacking up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The NBA has gotten really good, despite one team winning the title 3 of the last 4 years.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

PostNouveau posted:

The NBA has gotten really good, despite one team winning the title 3 of the last 4 years.

Heck yeah! This offseason should own as well!

I just love football so gd much. I so want to pull away from it but it pulls me back in every drat time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Plus all the NFC South teams that matter also have NBA teams, so you can keep the rivalries going in the offseason (except they hardly play each other).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Plus all the NFC South teams that matter also have NBA teams, so you can keep the rivalries going in the offseason (except they hardly play each other).

Fuckin' Pelicans, amirite?

For real, though, the entire Eastern conference is a loving shame and even if the Hawks manage to make it into the play-offs most years it'll never amount to anything because no matter which Western team makes it to the finals, they are gong to win.

MAYBE if the NBA finals were single elim. MAYBE. An eastern team could steal a W, but as is? Nah, they can't win 4 our of 7.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Im going to keep watching football because I’m a bad person. I suspect my conscience will get the better of me right around the time Drew Brees retires, coincidentally.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lmao

https://twitter.com/GrahamGano/status/1006630448213233665

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Dude I was JUST coming to post this! I was dying! His kids reactions are priceless!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've watched it at least 10 times and it gets better every time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This loving owns lmao

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I am unashamedly addicted to football and will continue to watch it.

I will even have nachos.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Chris Godwin is going to be so good this year.

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1006672497893257216?s=19

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
You can still watch football. Shithead owners aren't going away in any major sport. Or outside of sports, for that matter.

You just don't give them any more money than you have to. Vote against city funding. Out their lovely behavior. Write and post in media outlets so that it becomes impossible to ignore. That's how we in Carolina finally got rid of Richardson, after all.

If your dumb team happens to do an occasional good thing or goes on a run despite your lovely owner, then by all means buy a ticket or jersey to support good players.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I am unashamedly addicted to football and will continue to watch it.

I will even have nachos.

Same fam

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm ashamedly addicted to it.

I would prefer my favorite athlete mans to not have brain injuries for my entertainment, but... are you not entertained?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
As a new convert I feel pretty drat obsessed with this silly sport already. I've just renewed my season tickets for the London International series.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

I'm ashamedly addicted to it.

I would prefer my favorite athlete mans to not have brain injuries for my entertainment, but... are you not entertained?

Solution: Esports every sport, give all virtual players 99s, then all we have are thumb and eyestrain injuries as our appointed player plays our official game of Madden 2025 to determine wins and losses. Stream it on Twitch as we all use our VR goggles to see the viewpoint of our favorite player, or to have virtual 50 yard line seats every time.

You can still have the stadiums if you want.

Bonus: You could bring back All-Star squads of your favorite team and play those too in an alternate eSports league, the ASFL. Bring back the Dome Patrol with Drew Brees? Yes please.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
We signed Terrance West.

2x NFC South championship clinched.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

We signed Terrance West.

Saints wanted DeMarco Murray in for a workout and he said no.

I always liked DeMarco!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see the Saints scoop up T-Cole and have the Kamara/Cole Train and storm all over the division next year.

:(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

We signed Terrance West.

I guess that fills that 4-game Ingram gap? Maybe sorta?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

I guess that fills that 4-game Ingram gap? Maybe sorta?

Personally, I'm hoping Boston Scott shows a lot during camp. I'd love to see him and Kamara on the field at the same time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

We signed Terrance West.

Transparent attempt to replace Ingram four 4 games that won't work. Although I'm glad there will be someone there to take some pressure off Kamara. Saints cannot afford to lose him early

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Drew Brees will take the pressure off Kamara

:smugdog:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Drew Brees will take the pressure off Kamara

:smugdog:

Brees is pretty good at not taking sacks for a slow old dude, but it would be hilarious to see him scramble for a first down.

I think this happened at some point last year to everyone's amazement? Maybe in a playoff game?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Brees is pretty good at not taking sacks for a slow old dude, but it would be hilarious to see him scramble for a first down.

I think this happened at some point last year to everyone's amazement? Maybe in a playoff game?

He scrambled for a freakin touchdown in that one game last season where the team ran for over 300 yards. Pretty sure Kamara, Ingram and Brees all got touchdowns on the ground that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

If Chad Pennington can do it, Drew can too.

• Locked thread