Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Jamcreek posted:

This game looks interesting enough.

I basically grew up in Asherons call and been looking for a simillar game to fill the void since AC was shutdown.

My main concern with this game is the player population. Is it even a decent amount of players online?

Or will i for the most of my time wander around in a empty world?

Off topic but there are a couple of decent AC emulators up and running. Currently the state is somewhere around Dark Majesty with the intention of bringing it up to live status before shutdown.

On topic, as a huge AC fan Project Gorgon has some of the cool elements of an early MMO but it is not like AC, so if you go in expecting it to be a replacement you'll be diappointed. It is still an awesome game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I haven't been paying attention since the shutdown, but I would like to know more about how far along the new AC projects are.

It probably wouldn't hurt to post them here since it's low activity, but starting a thread would be better.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Full moon's been cool so far, it really brings the wolfbros together. Was grouping for the quests like 10 hours straight after I woke up. The most challenging part in Dark Chapel went pretty well with two groups of dogs rolling through and collectively humping the Scion.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jesus christ this game.

To be clear I find it funny that the game has it's own trackign method for 'fell of the world' and goes so far as to give you bonus exp for it. Falling off the world in the first place is just another in a long line of janky but forgivable things.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 4, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Wall collisions and mob knockbacks play ball together really poorly in this game. I've died more than once because the undead casters in windy cave throw me into a cave wall and I get stuck there, and once a Rakshasa laborer in Rahu literally gave not a single flying gently caress, kicked me through a hillside and off the world.

Granted, that latter event was hilariously awesome.

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
Hmm, so you pay for this now? I was itching to get back to my yodaspeak bat psychic, but did they also do a character wipe?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sotsa posted:

Hmm, so you pay for this now? I was itching to get back to my yodaspeak bat psychic, but did they also do a character wipe?

no character wipes

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Favor, items and money are getting wiped on release, that's about in a year or more, skills will remain(*).
*In AMA they specified they reserve the freedom to change skills, meaning one skillset might move to another one, players are speculating that Industry and Retail Management are definitely getting a wipe.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

There's a new dev blog post

It's mostly many, many words on the technical side, but there were other tidbits I found interesting.

Next update will most likely have priest class and offhand knife fighting skills:

quote:

Off-Hand Knife
We now have some basic animations for wielding a knife in the off-hand, and off-hand knives should be in the next update!

The Knife skill can still be used by wielding a Dagger in the main-hand (and all existing knives will be considered Daggers). We'll also be adding new off-hand knives (called just "Knives", or maybe "Shivs" or "Stilettos" or something similar, to easily differentiate them from the main-hand weapons.) You can wield a main-hand knife, an off-hand knife, or both -- and I may add a few tricks for people who want to wield two at once.

The more interesting thing to me, though, is the number of other skill combinations this opens up, such as Sword+Knife or Knife+Ice Magic or Druid+Knife. Lots of synergies to explore! Knife was always meant to have both off-hand and main-hand options, so this will help it reach its full potential.

quote:

New Skill: Priest
The next update will also introduce a new core combat skill, the Priest. This is a support skill that focuses on group healing and recovery, with a smattering of other things for variety.

We call it "Priest" for short, but the skill is specifically "Priest of Arisetsu". Arisetsu is the Goddess of Hope and Warmth, and she will be the patron deity of anyone that uses Priest abilities. Becoming a priest involves making a vow to Arisetsu that you will help her in the direst of times, "when all hope is dying in the world"... but practically speaking, that's not a day-to-day occurrence. Unlike "druid emergencies", there won't be any "priest emergencies" except, perhaps, during special events -- maybe a weekend event, or something like that.

Arisetsu is a well-liked and easygoing god, and anyone can become a Priest of Arisetsu. The only thing Arisetsu refuses to tolerate is the undead, and you can't use the Necromancer and Priest skills at the same time. Other than that, you can pair it with anything.

Priest has the most targeted healing potential of any skill, but some of the Priest's heals have a short "channeling time." If the priest is attacked while channeling, the spell aborts. In other words, Priests work best in a group, where they don't have to be on the front lines. But like most skills, Priest has versatility and room for customization. There's some unique debuffing abilities, some potent undead-killing tools, and a couple of fiery attacks related to Arisetsu's "warmth" aspect. These should allow for some interesting skill combinations. In fact, I'm excited to see someone try to make Fire Magic+Priest work as a deadly solo offensive combo! ... But in general, Priest is a support skill.

And he mentioned that he wants to create player hubs for current mid levels between Serbule and Rahu, guessing mostly so that people would gently caress off from lagging Serbule. Elf and dorf cities incoming. My bet is on the gay elf tree forest because there's just no way this dude is making a mountain zone without weatherraping it so players will shun it.

quote:

So I think we'll need to prioritize adding another hub town between Serbule and Rahu, a home base for players after they get past the Serbule levels. There are two upcoming areas that might work: the elven city past Sedgewick Forest, and the dwarven city hidden in the mountains. These areas are currently slated to be mini-hubs (not much more elaborate than Amulna, another mini-hub), but we can expand one of them into a full city, and start reducing the game's emphasis on Serbule.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 8, 2018

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have heard this game has bards that can annoy the poo poo out of everyone around them.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Not really since you can disable bard music in settings separately from ingame music.

I'll treat this post as an excuse to dump my img folder I was using to lure more people to play this game
https://imgur.com/a/U8K8FCv

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Strotski posted:

Not really since you can disable bard music in settings separately from ingame music.

I'll treat this post as an excuse to dump my img folder I was using to lure more people to play this game
https://imgur.com/a/U8K8FCv

That's why I love this game.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
So, just yesterday I was lamenting the loss of bizarre stuff and interesting stats in MMOs, and now I find this thread. I used to love Anarchy Online, as bad as the game was in many ways, it let me play a bureaucrat, and had character model scale as a stat. This looks just like all the weird stuff I loved from old games, and I can be a psychologist?

I had a couple questions before I shell out money: does the game has soloable content or if it is completely group focused? (I like to solo stuff and just chat with people sometimes.) and can I switch my combat skills around as I play? It sounds like it, but I am unsure.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Game is soloable for the most part, groups are easy to find for other parts like dungeons. You have 2 different skill hotbars that you can put any combat skills on and switch them on the fly, i.e. cow psychology, cow is considered combat skill and an animal form.

Here's a skill compatibility chart

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Cow necromancer was fun for the absurdity, but I liked cow mentalism the best. It's such a good tank.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MrAptronym posted:

So, just yesterday I was lamenting the loss of bizarre stuff and interesting stats in MMOs, and now I find this thread. I used to love Anarchy Online, as bad as the game was in many ways, it let me play a bureaucrat, and had character model scale as a stat. This looks just like all the weird stuff I loved from old games, and I can be a psychologist?

I had a couple questions before I shell out money: does the game has soloable content or if it is completely group focused? (I like to solo stuff and just chat with people sometimes.) and can I switch my combat skills around as I play? It sounds like it, but I am unsure.

I'm an AO vet too and you can solo all you want in this game, it's like AO in that regard. You have to pull small and 'twink' a little by micromanaging your gear more, but it can be pretty rewarding. Most grouping is automatic anyway, there's no instances so you just see others running around and join in.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Man I got this today just to check out and somehow ended up playing for 6 hrs straight.

It's amazing. I'm also a level 20 poetry appreciator now.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

So I got the game last night and played for a few hours. I love a lot of what it is doing, so many small gameplay systems that add a lot of fun to the world. Mixing and matching skills is fun, items are interesting, and I love the almost adventure-game like questing so far. I always feel like I am progressing, which is nice, and the hangouts system is cool. Its lacking a lot of the stuff I hate that other modern MMOs do as well.

That said, the game really makes a bad first impression. It is easily the ugliest game I have played in 15 years. The name sounds like a placeholder as well. (Which, as I understand it, it was? They got stuck with it due to inertia?) both of these make me feel like the game will be a hard sell for a lot of people. On the starter island you're fighting skeletons, giant spiders and dinosaurs, it is really weird and feels like a collage of nonsense. As I understand it, the game is being primarily made by 2 people, so it is understandable that the presentation is lacking, but it definitely the strongest mark against the game

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

It is placeholder graphics and even a reason for world building due to said placeholder graphics, like how the only models of elves in Unity shop were elves in high heels in 2012 and that's how they're all sex addicts. There was a ton of posts about it on devs blog which he since disabled.

It's placeholder graphics combined with game for niche audience, and in my opinion it's fine once you get used to it because mechanics and depth far outweigh everything else.

If they don't for you and if 2 hours aren't up - just refund the game. It's undoubtedly ugly and wonky in oh-so-many aspects and that's not gonna get fixed anytime soon.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Strotski posted:

It is placeholder graphics and even a reason for world building due to said placeholder graphics, like how the only models of elves in Unity shop were elves in high heels in 2012 and that's how they're all sex addicts. There was a ton of posts about it on devs blog which he since disabled.

It's placeholder graphics combined with game for niche audience, and in my opinion it's fine once you get used to it because mechanics and depth far outweigh everything else.

If they don't for you and if 2 hours aren't up - just refund the game. It's undoubtedly ugly and wonky in oh-so-many aspects and that's not gonna get fixed anytime soon.

No need to take offense. I don't plan on refunding, I knew what I was getting into from screenshots before I purchased it. Graphics matter to me, though I can certainly overlook some pretty bad ones. I am quite enjoying the game so far, and I like it's design principles. I am just posting my opinions on the game as a new player. The graphics are definitely a point against the game, the level designs haven't been fantastic either from what I've seen. Just because I criticize a part of the game, that doesn't mean I think it is bad.

First impressions are important, and I honestly would have skipped over the game entirely based on the name and appearance if I hadn't blindly stumbled into this thread. The game has a lot of great mechanics in it, but presentation gets people through the door.

Are the graphics placeholders? Whenever the devs are mentioned, it's the husband and wife team, and neither are artists. Do they have plans to get some art updated for launch/post-launch?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

I never took an offense, sorry if my post came off that way?
All graphics are store bought unity assets, with few exceptions when they hired contractors, I've no idea what part of the project said contractors worked on.

Custom art is easily the most expensive part of any project, and they are really focused on that gameplay and depth aspect, and as a result the game does look like rear end. Dungeons design is inexcusable in 2018, and many of the things are wrong.
It's just after 600 hours into it I find its placeholder nature all charming like "hey this is 6 years in the making or more by 2 people, this is charming and admirable". I guess I look at it at less of a game and more of a fascinating experience of what one can do with so many man hours and dedication.

As a tangent I found some moderately serious bugs, reported them, then got contacted by devs themselves, and not only they fixed the bugs that were affecting only me at the time, they were really cool about it too.

Game has far too many downsides if you are trying to get into it after hearing glowing praise, but it's like seeing a shoddy tiny trailer and you step inside and it's actually really well put together tiny house made by a family who really cares about it and the end product. You just have to overlook far too many things for it to hook you I guess.
Art will improve with time, but it's on a lower priority list compared to all other things, and it's a shame.

Edit: I guess it's worth mentioning that I enjoy how placeholder-y this game looks in an ironic way and often go out of my way to find stupidest looking assets they bought, and it affects my judgement about the game. You're right it will never make it big with graphics this bad or placeholdery and as a result most will overlook it (again, shame but what can you do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Wirrxg0vo

Gives me an excuse to post this, this is what I enjoy in this game, seeing babby's first animation someone made in unity and then it implemented in an mmo people actually play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tek7tpdfskE

And to a lesser degree this, I enjoy schlock in my games.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticTalentedLaptopJKanStyle

Strotski fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 8, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
god drat mmos suck dino peepee nowadays. i cant believe i spent hours downloading TESO when its like a tenth interesting compared to this gem. im sorry for leaving you gorgon

e: yikes 40 dollars

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 10, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

buglord posted:

god drat mmos suck dino peepee nowadays. i cant believe i spent hours downloading TESO when its like a tenth interesting compared to this gem. im sorry for leaving you gorgon

e: yikes 40 dollars

that whiplash is :discourse:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I actually bought ESO and PG during the same day two weeks ago or so in an MMO mental crisis.

I've got 6 hrs in ESO and 41 in PG.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

that whiplash is :discourse:

Sorry everyone who had to witness that

40 bones is a hard sell

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did they make eso not play like an elder scrolls game.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did they make eso not play like an elder scrolls game.

i was mostly surprised they found a way to make combat even worse than an elder scrolls game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
so even with the financial barrier, whats the player population numbers like? Not like this game had a huge following to begin with, but I don't want to buy it if its a lonely ghost town.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

buglord posted:

so even with the financial barrier, whats the player population numbers like? Not like this game had a huge following to begin with, but I don't want to buy it if its a lonely ghost town.

The opposite is true. You’ll wish everyone else logged off so you wouldn’t lag in the main city anymore and people would stop stealing your cotton spawns.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Pop is around 250 avg and one would think it's a low number, but with only 7 zones in the game and some clever design (like how even high lvl crafting requires basic mats you get from lower zones) you pretty much go back and forth between the zones and see people everywhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zam Wesell posted:

The opposite is true. You’ll wish everyone else logged off so you wouldn’t lag in the main city anymore and people would stop stealing your cotton spawns.

Consider growing your own cotton, it's way more productive than running around eltibule for spawns.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
also are guilds easier to manage yet because I still want to join :(

ign buglord

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Can I max all the skills in this game or is there a cap?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you are insane and never sleep, yeah. You can max all the skills. Be advised that some aren't fully implemented (gender studies) and some are just excruciatingly difficult (poetry appreciation) while the combat stuffs are all pretty easy to max.

Although some skills like druid mean you can't be a lycan and vice versa.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
You can be both druid and lycan, you just can't use them together, unless that was changed recently.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

That Guy Bob posted:

You can be both druid and lycan, you just can't use them together, unless that was changed recently.

That was changed before my last hiatus unless it broke again. He put in a flag that was supposed to keep you from being able to do both (unless he went back on that or it broke)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
do we have a discord server for all 3 of us that play

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

buglord posted:

do we have a discord server for all 3 of us that play

If there isn't one, I don't mind making one.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Early Access sale. 29.99 until July 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I still wish this game was at least partially free so people could get a taste for it. I would have laughed and reflectively marked "Not interested" if I saw this MMO on my queue for 20 dollars, let alone 30 or 40. Paying 40 wasn't so bad for me because I played it quite a bit before it went paid, and its the only MMO that has given me that "new exciting world" feeling since Runescape 2. But the barrier of entry plus the piss ugly graphics make it hard to sell this to my friends :(

Either way, I hope this game succeeds. Are there more staff working on this now? Last I remembered it was one dude on the project, which seems nearly impossible for a MMO.