Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mef989 posted:

Unless you are Dark Angels and draw the card saying everything over 12" is -1 to hit. Plasma was super fun to use that game. :smithicide:

And at that point you're no worse than if you were in a regular game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

Unless you are Dark Angels and draw the card saying everything over 12" is -1 to hit. Plasma was super fun to use that game. :smithicide:

Conversely, how excited would you be if you're Raven Guard

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I really like the Star Wars legion squad movement (though the bendy movement stick is completely lame and stupid for infantry imho). Not quite sure how it'd interact with the rest the 40k rules, but it's so simple, intuitive and most importantly fast as hell, to just move one dude, and the rest have to be around him within a couple of inches - literally impossible for 40 man squads though and it seems a little gamey to scoot the normal guys as far forward as possible and so on, but so is 40k movement, so whatever.

You could just have a set of radii for different squad sizes. 10 man and below is 4", 10-20 man is 6 inches, 40 man is 8 inches (or whatever, those sizes sound really big to me).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The most distant models in the same unit can be no further than X" away from each other.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The most distant models in the same unit can be no further than X" away from each other.

That can require a lot of measurements.

The Warmahordes way of handling squad coherency is pretty good. It also ties the maximum distance from the squad leader to leadership value, which gives it a lot more meaning than it has in (most editions) of 40k.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Maneck posted:

That can require a lot of measurements.

The Warmahordes way of handling squad coherency is pretty good. It also ties the maximum distance from the squad leader to leadership value, which gives it a lot more meaning than it has in (most editions) of 40k.

What happens when the squad leader dies first though, I assume you'd have to make it so you can't do that?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The main change I'd like to see in squad cohesion is that if you are daisy chaining multiple objectives and you remove stuff from the center to keep the objectives but break cohesion, that unit can no longer score objectives until it regains unit cohesion.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

What happens when the squad leader dies first though, I assume you'd have to make it so you can't do that?

How can the enemy force the squad leader to die?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

NovemberMike posted:

How can the enemy force the squad leader to die?

The enemy can't, but the defender can when allocating wounds

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

Wound allocation rules mean that you could very easily make a rule that states "the squad leader must always be the last to die".

I really like the idea of making squad leaders the focal point of each unit. It gives you opportunities to significantly speed up movement while also abstracting a lot of the more finicky bits of 40K.

- Change all aura effects so that in order to affect an entire unit the Squad Leader must be within the aura range. Model-based auras still stay the same.
- Movement and charges are based on the squadron leader. If a squadron leader gets within 1" of an enemy model then the unit is considered engaged. Consolidation and sweeping advances all apply to the leader, with aura movement applying beyond that.
- Within assault all models must maximize the number of models they are engaged with while staying with the command range of their leader.
- At the end of every movement phase all models must maintain coherency while remaining within a radius equal to the leadership of the leader.

Zuul the Cat posted:

The main change I'd like to see in squad cohesion is that if you are daisy chaining multiple objectives and you remove stuff from the center to keep the objectives but break cohesion, that unit can no longer score objectives until it regains unit cohesion.

Since wound allocation is based on the player, I'd rather see a rule that states that any models that are not in coherency with the rest of the squad are destroyed at the end of the Movement phase. If the squad gets split into two groups then you have to pick one to remove.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

Then who cares? If the squad leader dies let the squad die or something similar.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Giant Isopod posted:

In legion the squad leader has to die last, if by some weird miracle he doesn't die last, by a weird rules-interaction or something, another model else becomes the leader (you replace the model with the leader model).

Every system has downsides, but (again, aside from the stupid movement-stick for infantry) I think legions version is really elegant, simple and fast, while still retaining a lot of tactical nuance and so on.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wound allocation rules mean that you could very easily make a rule that states "the squad leader must always be the last to die".

I really like the idea of making squad leaders the focal point of each unit. It gives you opportunities to significantly speed up movement while also abstracting a lot of the more finicky bits of 40K.

- Change all aura effects so that in order to affect an entire unit the Squad Leader must be within the aura range. Model-based auras still stay the same.
- Movement and charges are based on the squadron leader. If a squadron leader gets within 1" of an enemy model then the unit is considered engaged. Consolidation and sweeping advances all apply to the leader, with aura movement applying beyond that.
- Within assault all models must maximize the number of models they are engaged with while staying with the command range of their leader.
- At the end of every movement phase all models must maintain coherency while remaining within a radius equal to the leadership of the leader.

Since wound allocation is based on the player, I'd rather see a rule that states that any models that are not in coherency with the rest of the squad are destroyed at the end of the Movement phase. If the squad gets split into two groups then you have to pick one to remove.

Apparently AoS 2.0 does this after the morale phase. Models not in coherency with the main group are removed.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

In Warmahordes, a new model becomes the squad leader. This can mean the troopers find themselves out of coherency. They can't do anything but move to get back into coherency.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

Apparently AoS 2.0 does this after the morale phase. Models not in coherency with the main group are removed.

I like this.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

I like this.

Incentivising the practice of checking coherency for 40 cultists. Per squad. Each turn. :yikes:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I like this.

I'd actually really like this in conjunction with changing wound allocation for assault- ignore the fact that I was complaining about how it used to work yesterday for those paying attention. Being able to focus your assault troops on opening a wedge in the middle of a big group of enemy models to cause massive losses would be incredibly cool and would add some really interesting decisions related to positioning for both players. There would be very real advantages and disadvantages for spreading your unit out at max coherency.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd be pretty happy with "models in a unit most be within Ld" of the unit's leader".

Give high leadership models something to be useful for.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

I'd actually really like this in conjunction with changing wound allocation for assault- ignore the fact that I was complaining about how it used to work yesterday for those paying attention. Being able to focus your assault troops on opening a wedge in the middle of a big group of enemy models to cause massive losses would be incredibly cool and would add some really interesting decisions related to positioning for both players. There would be very real advantages and disadvantages for spreading your unit out at max coherency.

Wounds from assault must be allocated to things in base contact first, y/n.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Strobe posted:

I'd be pretty happy with "models in a unit most be within Ld" of the unit's leader".

Yeah this is a decent idea. Does Mob Rule increase leadership directly, or only for the purposes for morale checks? I guess there isn't much (Any?) difference in todays rules but obviously you would want to word it to not allow 30" daisy chains or the rule is moot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

And it makes -Ld effects more relevant.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Strobe posted:

I like it, but how would you modify that to work with factions that don’t take leaders in their troops, like Necrons? As it stands I can stretch out the full 20 Warriors.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like this much better than my idea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Merton Blask posted:

I like it, but how would you modify that to work with factions that don’t take leaders in their troops, like Necrons? As it stands I can stretch out the full 20 Warriors.

yeah I've been chuckling at all the "leader" talk in the thread because it's so space marine-centric

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah I've been chuckling at all the "leader" talk in the thread because it's so space marine-centric

See I see this as a potentially interesting way of making the more alien factions work in interesting, alien, ways. Like if little bug units were always in cohesion for Tyranids if they were within X inches of a synapse unit, and they can just relocated however they like in that bubble. Or if necrons aren't focused around any particular point so you pick one model each time you move the unit to be the leader, or whatever.

Obviously not finished rules and would need a bunch of playtesting but that could be enormously cool.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was wondering about this one. In theory if I have a squad of 5 hellblasters rapid firing and overcharging - technically shouldnt you roll two dice at a time for each model/roll the sgt seperately as if you fail that model is slain?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Soggy Chips posted:

I was wondering about this one. In theory if I have a squad of 5 hellblasters rapid firing and overcharging - technically shouldnt you roll two dice at a time for each model/roll the sgt seperately as if you fail that model is slain?

Yes, that's exactly what you're meant to do. Buy some different-coloured dice.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is a new rule in AoS 2.0

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

If only there was some way for the attacker to force which models are removed from play. Wouldn’t that be grand

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hixson posted:

If only there was some way for the attacker to force which models are removed from play. Wouldn’t that be grand

The trick is to kill them all in one go #justdarkeldarthings

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
'Bout to Necron-spread and flex on these Imperials :hb: wit dat LD10

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Yeah this is a decent idea. Does Mob Rule increase leadership directly, or only for the purposes for morale checks? I guess there isn't much (Any?) difference in todays rules but obviously you would want to word it to not allow 30" daisy chains or the rule is moot.

Mob rule increases leadership directly, which is dumb as gently caress. It does make a difference, because it means you can daisy chain mob rule. If you have 2 units of 30 boys and kill 20 from the first unit, they're still immune to morale since they're using the leadership from the other squad, which is increased to 30.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
There is a couple answers to the idea being 'space marine centric'. One could just be as simple as instead of distance from squad leader, simply make it max distance between any models to maintain coherency.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
death jester special rule is that the attacking player gets to pick which models are removed if i remember right too bad they are terrible.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Since we're asking for unicorns and rainbows I'd like some kind of alternating phases or delayed model removal or anything so games aren't won or lost by the seize the initiative die roll. Whatever mitigates one gunline army going before another and just straight nuking the poo poo out of the other guaranteeing they will never have to worry about return fire, making the rest of the game a formality.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Badcast:

I've never listened before. I just listened to your latest episode.

That was drat good. Thanks for calling people on their crap.

I'll listen from now on.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Since we're asking for unicorns and rainbows I'd like some kind of alternating phases or delayed model removal or anything so games aren't won or lost by the seize the initiative die roll. Whatever mitigates one gunline army going before another and just straight nuking the poo poo out of the other guaranteeing they will never have to worry about return fire, making the rest of the game a formality.

This is called terrain and deployment

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

There is a couple answers to the idea being 'space marine centric'. One could just be as simple as instead of distance from squad leader, simply make it max distance between any models to maintain coherency.

You could also apply that rule to any unit without a leader, or simplify it to say that measurements are always performed from the model with the highest leadership. That also works thematically with swarms.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Booley posted:

This is called terrain and deployment

In addition to their models, a wise player always brings a few large terrain pieces to mitigate against losing first turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Raphus C posted:

In addition to their models, a wise player always brings a few large terrain pieces to mitigate against losing first turn.

I realize you're being sarcastic, but fortifications are a thing.