Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Courtney Love is extremely aunt though, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's likely been posted before, but I just came across it again and it's always a nice :stonklol:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:randpop:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
That inverted y axis is almost as good as the FL stand your ground murder one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That graph isn't meant to be misleading, it's just trying to rip off this famous inforgraphic:

Unfortunately the authors have no idea why the original works.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

steinrokkan posted:

That graph isn't meant to be misleading, it's just trying to rip off this famous inforgraphic:

Unfortunately the authors have no idea why the original works.

I'll bet you my left pinky toe that it was also meant to be misleading.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

popewiles posted:

I'll bet you my left pinky toe that it was also meant to be misleading.

Eh, the framing makes it pretty clear that despite the inverted axis, you're meant to read it as the numbers generally being bad. It's "Iraq's bloody toll", not "Total deaths in Iraq".

With the "stand your ground" graph it really makes it look like gun deaths took a huge drop immediately after the law was introduced.

*edit*

Oh, yeah.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 14, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I read that as “it [The Gun Deaths in Florida graph] was also mean to be misleading [in addition to aping the Iraq graph]”.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Platystemon posted:

I read that as “it [The Gun Deaths in Florida graph] was also mean to be misleading [in addition to aping the Iraq graph]”.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for being unclear.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

frankenfreak posted:

It's likely been posted before, but I just came across it again and it's always a nice :stonklol:

I trust you realize it's fake though, right? It's a much-edited version of one more conventionally misleading.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Strudel Man posted:

I trust you realize it's fake though, right? It's a much-edited version of one more conventionally misleading.

This is applicable to about half of the graphics that Fox News broadcasts:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The Iraq one gets a pass from me for the blood-dripping theme, and the endpoint is 0 (the end of the Iraq "war").

The biggest tell on the fake Fox News one is that the header is Affordable Care Act, as if they would call it anything but Obamacare.

Then again, picking on Fox News graphs is a little too easy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adding a 3 in front of the 0% would fix it, unless there’s something else I’m missing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
People have figured out that truncating the y-axis is misleading, time to move on to making it non-linear instead.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

People have figured out that truncating the y-axis is misleading, time to move on to making it non-linear instead.

It’s pretty obvious when undergrads learn they can use logarithmic scales to try and make their data not look like garbage

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Adding a 3 in front of the 0% would fix it, unless there’s something else I’m missing

Well there's the fact that it makes "51%" approval look like "100%" by virtue of being at the top of the chart. It also doesn't add up to 100% although that is obviously just them not bothering to graph the "no opinion" answers so I can give that a pass (it still looks weird to not mention the missing % anywhere though). Plus the way the lines are drawn it looks like there's 6 data points they're using, but only 3 dates on the X axis, one of which is directly BETWEEN two of the actual data points on the chart, so who knows if it actually represents evenly spaced polling or what. With something like approval ratings dates are especially relevant because you can then tie changes in the graph to specific things that happened.

It's just one of those graphs that does a lot of little things wrong rather than one major "wow this is really bad" thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing that gets me most is that they're acting like a 51% approval rating on one thing right now absolves Trump of all criticism. They're deliberately ignoring the awful approval before or his dismal overall approval.

But a very slim majority says he's doing a good economy job best president ever mandate of heaven shut up libtards.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
51% of Italians approve of Mussolini's Train Punctuality focus.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://planetplanet.net/2018/06/01/the-million-earth-solar-system/

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That is.... wow.

Even though he's worked out the numbers, I can't help but think even the teensiest perturbation would set off the biggest multi car pileup in the universe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll loving destroy whoever made this.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

...why?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Roblo posted:

...why?

Because someone saw the "map" of the galaxy and though that it is actually mostly 2D-reduceable disk.

Also, because gently caress science because we will invent magic at some point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

What about the 3rd dimension? I bet he could get lots more in there by tilting some of those orbits.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If you click through, the guy is apparently capable of running the equations. And he does talk about working with an astrophysicist on the tidal disruption of 'Oumuamua, so it's not just some guy throwing lots of dots on a graph.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I feel like tilting those orbits would just make stuff less stable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrUnderbridge posted:

If you click through, the guy is apparently capable of running the equations. And he does talk about working with an astrophysicist on the tidal disruption of 'Oumuamua, so it's not just some guy throwing lots of dots on a graph.
At the end he kind of admits he is just throwing lots of dots on a graph because without an n-body sim with plastic bodies he isn't sure the rule of thumb he uses to justify the tidal locking works when there's that much mass local and ultimately hand waves it because he expects they could deform in a way to satisfy the rule of thumb and also because it's a fun what if essay for sci fi writers.

Aleph Null posted:

What about the 3rd dimension? I bet he could get lots more in there by tilting some of those orbits.
Intersection points would destabilize it. It's already multidimensional in the radial because each ring of planets is orbiting the opposite way of the next which let's him really pack them in there.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It’s an interesting idea. A bad interesting idea mind you, but still interesting

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, there's absolutely some hand waving, I just meant that he wasn't just some rando with a "Why not?" attitude.

A perturbation event would be, errrmmmm, "interesting" to watch. From outside the system. Interesting in a very different way to anyone on one of the planets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That was a pretty fun read

But I can’t stop thinking of how this weird super system formed

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
I wonder if you could set that up in that universe simulator thing somehow? That'd be fun to watch.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Maybe that's what quasars are. The First Ones thought they were all cool, until somebody farted and the whole thing fell into the central black hole, suns and all.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Aliens!

quote:

I can imagine super-advanced aliens creating a system like the million-Earth Solar System as a cosmic work of art. Kind of like the art of skyscrapers or painted icebergs. A way to say “look how fancy we are” on the grandest scale.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Either inflation or (if the chart is inflation adjusted) just general economic downturn making materials more expensive.

You got that backwards. An economic downturn usually makes materials cheaper, due to reduced demand.
This is why Keynesian economics work. In a price slump, it's a good idea to borrow money to invest in infrastructure or housing, which also helps turn the economy around by creating jobs.

What happened to the US cost of construction, I can't speak for, it's probably some other mechanism in play. You've had a major downturn followed by a major upturn.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Jun 27, 2018

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Settle down, Rimmer.

Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys—it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall—it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens as well!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Boiled Water posted:

how is system formed?
how is system formed?
how sun get plagnet

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You got that backwards. An economic downturn usually makes materials cheaper, due to reduced demand.
This is why Keynesian economics work. In a price slump, it's a good idea to borrow money to invest in infrastructure or housing, which also helps turn the economy around by creating jobs.

What happened to the US cost of construction, I can't speak for, it's probably some other mechanism in play. You've had a major downturn followed by a major upturn.

There is a long-term trend of construction costs escalating by 3.5% annually before adjusting for inflation. In real terms, it's generally more expensive to repair something >50 years old than it was to build it in the first place. It also means that a 10-year delay in a project increases its cost by ~41%, on top of whatever inflation occurs between now and then.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cichlidae posted:

There is a long-term trend of construction costs escalating by 3.5% annually before adjusting for inflation. In real terms, it's generally more expensive to repair something >50 years old than it was to build it in the first place. It also means that a 10-year delay in a project increases its cost by ~41%, on top of whatever inflation occurs between now and then.

Is this graph accurate regarding construction costs?
It just seems odd to have more or less stable costs during the sub-prime housing crash of 08. I could understand it some input prices like oil had spiked but it doesn't really correlate. Just wondering.
E: Actually now I think about it 08 was when us pump prices went way up, maybe that can explain some of it.

catfry has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jun 30, 2018