Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

It seems like this Tesla company may be bad at business

And yet they're valued higher than actual companies that make actual cars at actual scale because we live in a nightmare world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

Just look at what a tesla looks like inside and you'll know that Musk's cars are real bad

Someone will pay $40k for this poo poo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Not only that, thousands of people reserved their chance to pay 40k (or much more, practically speaking, because it's even more poo poo as a whole with no options and because Tesla says they're losing money on the base model) literally a year in advance

e: I'm convinced that somewhere, somehow, in the last several years there was a critical point where but for the "grace" of god, Elon would've been an even bigger Elizabeth Holmes

emdash has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Jun 13, 2018

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

Dosen't Tesla have like hundreds more times reservations then cars they can pump out? You have upper middle class yuppies throwing their money at Musk, begging him to take it and all he has to do is fill the order. It seems like this Tesla company may be bad at business and people getting laid off thanks to mismanagement and thanking the boss for it is just prime suck at a level I can't comprehend. And I'm a middle class white suburbanite from suck zone central.

yes, Tesla is a huge ponzi scheme fueled entirely but Musk's uncanny ability to make investors think he knows anything

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Bersist

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

peter daou has confirmed that it was too warm for outdoor summer hoops

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/greg_oakland/status/1006283310216015872

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

Is this what rich people talk about when they try to express empathy with the poor?

"I know what it's like to have it rough -- the other day I sat inside a base-model Geo metro for thr-- oh, wait, that was my Tesla."

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

lmao this is how he got out of his staged arrest

lol they weren't even willing to arrest him in the first place

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1006976542940041216

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

I can't get over how your speed isn't in your peripheral vision. You have to look down and over to tell how fast you're going. Let alone stuff that someone who's serious about driving high end cars would care about, like RPM. Musk has never driven a car in his life.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rand alPaul posted:

40k to buy or 40k in damages after each car crash

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Rand alPaul posted:

I love it when doomsday economics converges with the succ zone

the impact is geometric

makes me doug hard

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: wrong thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rand alPaul posted:

There’s obviously a market out there for electric cars and id kinda like one but uhhhh maybe i can get a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt or something that dosent have a giant iPad in the middle

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Nastier Nate posted:

There’s obviously a market out there for electric cars and id kinda like one but uhhhh maybe i can get a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt or something that dosent have a giant iPad in the middle

teslas are explicitly cars for children

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hows a white guy supposed to get arrested by ICE anyways

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

And yet they're valued higher than actual companies that make actual cars at actual scale because we live in a nightmare world.
Fundamentals

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

That Ipad has to be on and functioning for the car to do anything, including changing gears and OPENING THE loving DOORS.
If you get in a crash and it breaks you can't get out of the car without the fire department using bolt cutters to sever some unmarked line in the back they don't tell you about and meanwhile you've burned to death.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stairmaster posted:

Hows a white guy supposed to get arrested by ICE anyways

plenty of undocumented Irish in crowley's district, and they do get deported though at drastically lower rates than ppl from latin america etc

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nanomashoes posted:

That Ipad has to be on and functioning for the car to do anything, including changing gears and OPENING THE loving DOORS.
If you get in a crash and it breaks you can't get out of the car without the fire department using bolt cutters to sever some unmarked line in the back they don't tell you about and meanwhile you've burned to death.

Please tell me this is a joke

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

It isn't quite THAT stupid, though it is stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8&t=631s

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Please tell me this is a joke

no that is true as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grondoth posted:

I can't get over how your speed isn't in your peripheral vision. You have to look down and over to tell how fast you're going. Let alone stuff that someone who's serious about driving high end cars would care about, like RPM. Musk has never driven a car in his life.

As I recall the early test drivers all complained about the lack of standard instrumentation in the dash and Musk threw a screaming fit about how they'd never miss it if they just gave the flat panel he'd kludged in a chance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1007018413657600000?s=19

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lol holy poo poo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

open your hood manually in three easy steps

for step three you need jumper cables and a 12 volt battery

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As I recall the early test drivers all complained about the lack of standard instrumentation in the dash and Musk threw a screaming fit about how they'd never miss it if they just gave the flat panel he'd kludged in a chance.

I was about to ask where the gently caress the dashboard was and what kind of moron would design a car without one, but suddenly it all makes sense again.

Nanomashoes posted:

That's literally the side plot to an Achewood storyline jfc

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Remember when those Amazon web servers went down like a year ago and people were complaining that all of their Internet of Things devices couldn't be controlled, including a guy who got stuck with his oven on full power that couldn't be turned off?
Teslas are that, but in car form.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

let's talk about the hundreds, if not thousands of 18650s powering the thing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Over Easy posted:

open your hood manually in three easy steps

for step three you need jumper cables and a 12 volt battery

lmao the conventional mechanical system was just so bad and needed to be "disrupted"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

zegermans posted:

yes, Tesla is a huge ponzi scheme fueled entirely but Musk's uncanny ability to make investors think he knows anything

I'll never understand where this idea that he's a genius came from, so people think he's designing all these things and not the people he hired?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1007021152760287233

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Weeping Wound posted:

let's talk about the hundreds, if not thousands of 18650s powering the thing

I'm not the biggest battery guy so I would say that the tendency of them to light on fire would not be as bad if this was also not the thing that causes the doors to stop working.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KomradeX posted:

I'll never understand where this idea that he's a genius came from, so people think he's designing all these things and not the people he hired?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6fv9UUlQ8

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I have no idea who this is. did she say something particularly stupid even by donut emoji standards to prompt this alleged "harassment," or what

edit: I did stumble across this gem scrolling through her timeline. absolutely something made by a real Bernie supporter and not an alt-right troll meme, yup

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1006309198706114561

Barry Convex has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Jun 13, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

I have no idea who this is. did she say something particularly stupid even by donut emoji standards to prompt this alleged "harassment," or what

edit: I did stumble across this gem scrolling through her timeline. absolutely something made by a real Bernie supporter and not an alt-right troll meme, yup
this stuff is so pervasive, odds are that most people engaging with "politics online" (whatever that means) are primarily engaging with fake versions of their enemies set up as psyop poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTVg2DjirMU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Rand alPaul posted:

Someone will pay $7,450 for this poo poo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I should have realized the obvious comparison would be Jobs. That cult of personality just moved on over to Musk. Because I get that same reaction when I tell people, especially nerds that I don't like Musk and that he isn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

KomradeX posted:

Yeah I should have realized the obvious comparison would be Jobs. That cult of personality just moved on over to Musk. Because I get that same reaction when I tell people, especially nerds that I don't like Musk and that he isn't great

That’s unfair. Steve Jobs had at least a working understanding of what is physically possible, cared about actual product quality, and had the decency to devote most of his sociopathic power of self-delusion toward killing himself with juice cleanses.

• Locked thread