Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the general idea seems to be that, given the relatively low population size and the size of the map, there will be trouble clearing it out before whatever timeframe lapses and the areas repopulate. i'm sure there will be relatively high-traffic areas that get cleared out pretty quickly. but i doubt you'll be finding the whole map picked clean of aluminum dinner trays or whatever you need to upgrade your laser rifle.

do we know where you spawn when logging in (or after dying)? That would surely affect things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I think when people said "This but multiplayer", they meant that. They wanted the same kind of experience Fallout and The Elder Scrolls was giving solo players, but now allowing you to play with your friends. Something more like Borderlands, or at least an MMO with towns and quests and a player-run economy. Fallout 76 isn't really that because it has no NPCs or other real settlements, so it's not even a proper MMO. It's a weird Rust-style dungeon crawler where the developers clearly still haven't figured out exactly what they want the experience to be or what people like.

I was expecting "this but multiplayer" as well and I'm not preordering or even planning to buy the game just yet until I hear more. No NPCs is a very strange decision considering that the engine needs to support them well enough to have the overseer. Even if they want to go 100% radiant quests with procedurally generated quest givers, they need someone to give the quests. I'm just not convinced that it's going to be a PVP front-and-center experience like Fortnight or Rust.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

are there any good project nevada style overhauls for fallout 4? I'm playing through New Vegas and dig the setting but the game is hideous and jank as hell but now I've got a hankering for some Fallout.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

do we know where you spawn when logging in (or after dying)? That would surely affect things.

In the documentary they said your base or a nearby safe area.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rinkles posted:

Help I logged out after sleeping in my bed but then someone nuked my settlement and now my character is gone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

In the documentary they said your base or a nearby safe area.

Not like there's an obvious solution, but that's another thing that breaks immersion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

nopantsjack posted:

are there any good project nevada style overhauls for fallout 4? I'm playing through New Vegas and dig the setting but the game is hideous and jank as hell but now I've got a hankering for some Fallout.

Nope!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

almost every quest in these games is just a way to force you to interact with a section of the world and are very rarely compelling in any way beyond the part of the world they make you explore. you don't need a questgiver for that.

Basically this. A fetch quest is only as interesting as what happens while you're fetching something. Locations, visual storytelling, world interaction, those are Bethesda strengths. Adding the madness of other players to it sounds like a good time. Fallout 4 tried a lot of new things with crafting and building, making that the focus is a natural progression. If players really take on those roles they've tried to phone in with radiant AI, that'll be an impressive trick. I don't think it's impossible.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 13, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This game sounds more like the new monster Hunter than rust I'm ok with that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Really not trying to be disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable, but the last thing I'd complain about for Bethesda games is that they don't have enough content. Honestly the best poo poo they do is when they work on a smaller area for DLC, like Far Harbor. I'm still interested in exploring this map at some point tbd, especially if I can have my own map that only people I invite to play with me can gently caress with, but I'd take quality over quantity.

If anything, the usual Bethesda style for Fallout is better for a multiplayer game. Black Isle and Obsidian crafted worlds that actually interconnected and made sense, while Bethesda created a sort of theme park version of Fallout where completely unconnected quirky stuff was placed all around the map to provide things to explore. Great for a multiplayer dungeon-crawler or MMO, bad for a roleplaying game.

My problem with Fallout 76 is that they don't seem to really have a solid concept of what the game is or whether any of their ideas will actually work, and some of the ideas (like no server wipes but nuked areas reverting back to normal to keep players from instantly and permanently destroying the map, and even the idea of nuking a whole area to turn it into a legendary dungeon) feel like half-baked stuff slapped together without thought as to whether or not it's appropriate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn't considered the implications of a Bethesda game without saves. Gotta be a bit more prepared before setting out into uncharted territory. And particularly wary of physics bugs. (not unlike FO4's Survival mode)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nopantsjack posted:

there really isnt a need for a project nevada overhaul for fo4 cause it already comes with a lot of the changes pn did in fnv

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rinkles posted:

I hadn't considered the implications of a Bethesda game without saves. Gotta be a bit more prepared before setting out into uncharted territory. And particularly wary of physics bugs. (not unlike FO4's Survival mode)

Doesn't seem like there is much to lose when you die though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nopantsjack posted:

Theres a lot of standalone mods that when mixed together make a decent alternative. Check out the unbogus series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Doesn't seem like there is much to lose when you die though

Dungeon or journey progress mostly. Depends on how fast travel works.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Dungeon or journey progress mostly. Depends on how fast travel works.

Yea did they say anything about fast travel or loading screens in general?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea did they say anything about fast travel or loading screens in general?

I haven't seen anything yet.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

Not me man, I love the lack of moral responsibleness the game provides while also making me a near good like entity. I still casually refer to what I do at corvega as murder and codsworth is fine as long as he can "find Shaun" or whatever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Corvega isn't that hard, just go in the front door, second floor. Clear out the right side by the beds, wait out the hostile timer, drop a safety save in either the little stair house beds or the sleeping bag by the roof hatch depending on how close things are patrolling, go kill the rest of the raiders on the other side of the building. Rails will intercept the molotovs and the solid floor around the entry saves you from getting shot to poo poo from below.

The place is only hard if you insist on attacking via open hallways or stand on the metal stairs that the npcs can shoot through far more easily than you

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't think corvega is 'hard', it's just a lot of enemies in a cool environment that would be interesting to clear with my friends while bullshitting.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do. instead imagine that, instead of relying on npcs to tell you to do poo poo - which has never really been a very good way to play bethesda games anyway imo - it's entirely self-determined, even moreso than it is now. the most engaging stories in bethesda games are ones that aren't even told at all. do you remember hectic fights where you're quaffing potions and slamming dudes off of narrow ledges, or the time a poorly-voice acted slob asked you to forge him a dagger? do you remember Bleak Falls Barrow, or are your fond memories of that section of the game entirely around the dumbass breadcrumb quest that sent you there?

almost every quest in these games is just a way to force you to interact with a section of the world and are very rarely compelling in any way beyond the part of the world they make you explore. you don't need a questgiver for that.

Games as a service and the idea that games should be infinite treadmills of content feel foreign to me

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
okay well sorry grandpa i'm sure you can find a dos game to beat in twenty minutes but this is the future old man

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If I just wanted to play the Imagination Game I'd go outside and pick up a stick.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Donovan Trip posted:

Basically this. A fetch quest is only as interesting as what happens while you're fetching something. Locations, visual storytelling, world interaction, those are Bethesda strengths.

Well then they have no strengths I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do. instead imagine that, instead of relying on npcs to tell you to do poo poo - which has never really been a very good way to play bethesda games anyway imo - it's entirely self-determined, even moreso than it is now. the most engaging stories in bethesda games are ones that aren't even told at all. do you remember hectic fights where you're quaffing potions and slamming dudes off of narrow ledges, or the time a poorly-voice acted slob asked you to forge him a dagger? do you remember Bleak Falls Barrow, or are your fond memories of that section of the game entirely around the dumbass breadcrumb quest that sent you there?

Yes, I remember the freeform sandbox gameplay of Fallout and Fallout 2.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

Agreed, the solution to Bethesda's lovely plotting and character design is to entirely delete them instead of improving them.

Also gently caress, what did you do to find a part of that game difficult, did you try to get through the area with bare hands?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 13, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
despite posting about bleak falls barrow on my desktop, a meme about bleak falls barrow popped up in my Instagram feed on my phone. this is almost as troubling as the people not excited for multiplayer fallout.

also, 'helped' in that post means more like 'participate'. as a multi-celled organism it is literally impossible for any part of fallout to be challenging to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
also what the gently caress is bleak falls hollows, is it one of the hundred completely identical grindfest maps in skyrim?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Bleak Falls Barrow the one with the vampires or the one with the Foresworn where you can jump off a cliff into a two foot deep pool to impress a ghost? Or is it the one where a necromancer has been making ghosts into his personal army?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

is skyrim a grind now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh no, i hate when a game is an enjoyable experience with an endpoint and not an endless repetitive grind through procgen areas with no interesting moments, games that "run out of content" are the worst. i agree, gently caress every game except nethack,

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Like, bethesda games have already done an excellent job of producing enough exploration content, tempered with questing and self-driven objectives like the FO4 settlement system and finding unique equipment, that "oh but what if we got rid of most of that and replaced it with multiplayer" is not something I can imagine very many people wanting. How many people really play bethsoft games and complete all the plot or explore all the space in them already?

Unfortunately single player games are kind of a losing prospect in today's world. The kids of today don't want that stuff anymore. It's all multiplayer now. Why do you think two lovely TF2 Clones are pretty much the most profitable games in the world right now?

Getting back to Gamebryo. I don't understand why they don't just use something else. Anything else. Source. Id-tech, UE4, Cryengine, loving Unity for christs sake.

frugalmaster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 13, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

when i play doom i am upset because, since it has levels that are made by a human being, i will run out of levels. this is why doom is a bad game.

e: the people who say WHY DONT THEY JUST CHANGE ENGINES as if that's the easiest thing in the world always make me laugh. have you ever done any game dev?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Honestly, games without quests are generally pretty boring for players. People like goals, and they like unique content. Even games that focus on emergent gameplay like Eve or Minecraft quickly developed more structured modes for players that didn't just want to fight other players, grind mobs, or build forts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

also what the gently caress is bleak falls hollows, is it one of the hundred completely identical grindfest maps in skyrim?

it's the first dungeon the story points you towards. i think you get the first part of fus ro dah from it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao the most interesting parts in any of the fallout games are weird, off-the-track areas that you stumble upon that have entirely self-contained stories. the best part is going through a vault and figuring out what happened or experiencing it through holotapes or whatever, not staring at a dialog box while some lady tells you to go beat up some radroaches because of caps or whatever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how people don't get that this isn't a mainline Fallout game. This is a open world survival game set in the Fallout universe, if you don't like those kinda games then don't get this. They'll make another proper Fallout 5 after TES releases. Did anyone actually expect another Fallout so soon and at the same time as a TES game is in development?

Just look at this as not a Fallout game because that's what it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao the most interesting parts in any of the fallout games are weird, off-the-track areas that you stumble upon that have entirely self-contained stories. the best part is going through a vault and figuring out what happened or experiencing it through holotapes or whatever, not staring at a dialog box while some lady tells you to go beat up some radroaches because of caps or whatever.

but at some point there won't be any more vaults and you'll run out of content! burn it to the ground, give me my fallout roguelike

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i will never run out of content because i will shoot my friends with guns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frugalmaster posted:

Unfortunately single player games are kind of a losing prospect in today's world. The kids of today don't want that stuff anymore. It's all multiplayer now. Why do you think two lovely TF2 Clones are pretty much the most profitable games in the world right now?

I am fairly sure that Bethesda's normal style of singleplayer games are not a "losing prospect" as much as they are "generally wildly successful".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Dragon Age: Origins did world building better than any TES game. Has better dungeons too.