Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

It is borderline cheating but the game can't use magnets to grab a card from you that you're holding. If you're running the risk of losing a run you've spent hours on you can just grab and hold a card until it burns up and the game can't do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Dragonturtle posted:

It is borderline cheating but the game can't use magnets to grab a card from you that you're holding. If you're running the risk of losing a run you've spent hours on you can just grab and hold a card until it burns up and the game can't do anything about it.

lmao

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wakefield: please give me that evidence

Me, not a cultist: No

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

genericnick posted:

Is there any good source of Knock or should I continue regretting my decision to found that cult?

For Disciples you can seek out influences from a few verbs. Exploring Moonlit Streets will give you 6 Knock influences, Glimmering, and Contentment, but also hit you with Fascination. Dreaming of the White Door can give you Restlessness and a 6 Winter influence, which both decay into Dread to get rid of the Fascination. When you have no Fascination you can Dream from the White Door to the Lodge of the Sage Knight to get 6 Knock influence. 2 lore + 6 influence gives you 8 to make anyone a Disciple.

For Exalts you only need 6 Knock lore and a bit further progress. Pass the Stag's Riddle. Dream of the Stag Door until you get a 10 Knock influence. 6 lore + 5 disciple + 10 influence gives you the 21 needed to exalt a Key.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lore prediction:

The Last achievement no one got is probably the one that restores the Sun-in-Splendor to life. Lore says there’s some special rote needed for it.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

If they didn't want me to abuse mechanics they should have invested in stronger magnets. :colbert:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like you probably arent supposed to spend two years of your life on the board at glover and glover but its better money than painting and should lock down that section of the game for me at least

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Presumably it’s viable to just build up that huge block of cash but I don’t find that I’m doing Rites 100% of the time, so I don’t need Work to be open all the time

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ya, but the board job gets worse every time you get demoted, so if youre gonna just grind out 500 funds or whatever you might as well do it efficiently. it counts as one notoriety absorbed - which makes it longer to execute. at least its 50s at the start and goes to 60s after you get caught/demoted and promoted once

its good though in that you can actually just juggle it and another thing

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 13, 2018

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I do hope when they add new content to the game that they get rid of some of the annoyances that bog down and slow the pace of the gameplay. Keeping a lot of plates spinning in mid-air can be fun but I hope that they add some longer internal cooldowns to a few of the random events that keep cropping up since they slow the progress of the player down to a glacial speed and they happen over and over again.

I am pretty sure at this point my character has had so many heart attacks that the hospital has set aside a special room just for him.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I feel like the sickness card should pop out of the verb automatically rather than sitting in (and counting down) - the only way I got decrepitude'd so far was when the verb was in some random corner I wasn't looking at, and it ticked down to 0 before I noticed a brand new decrepitude card.

Yes, obviously should have paid attention so it's on me, but I don't see why restlessness (for example) pops out automatically while sickness keeps festering in the health verb (although I guess thematic)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sickness should take a vitality from the board if you have one.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sandweed posted:

Sickness should take a vitality from the board if you have one.

This would be super convenient except I often just pay the money to recover so how would that work then

Magnets displace whatever else, and you can’t take something out of a magnet slot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my hand is stronger than any magnet

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Synthbuttrange posted:

my hand is stronger than any magnet

Unless you’re dreaming past a Door. Then you drop Notoriety and end in jail. :smith:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pirate Radar posted:

This would be super convenient except I often just pay the money to recover so how would that work then

Magnets displace whatever else, and you can’t take something out of a magnet slot

I mean when a heart attack or whatever starts if you have a vitality on the board it should grab a vitality and consume it instead of turning a health into affliction.

What is the rite for turning decrepitude into health? I managed it once but now I can't remember how i did it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sandweed posted:

I mean when a heart attack or whatever starts if you have a vitality on the board it should grab a vitality and consume it instead of turning a health into affliction.

What is the rite for turning decrepitude into health? I managed it once but now I can't remember how i did it.

Ohhhh, that’s what you mean.

I think that rite uses Forge as the main aspect, if it helps. I’ve never needed it so I’m not sure.

EDIT: found it, by the way, it’s Grail and Forge. Don’t need anything else.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 13, 2018

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Unless you’re dreaming past a Door. Then you drop Notoriety and end in jail. :smith:

I think if you pause fast enough after that you can grab it again before it gets sucked up.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I smugly tried to press the win game button, but Desire decays :mad:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New beta patch has snap to grid, configurable - you can choose how much spacing you get. Pretty good! Though it doesn't autostack like the mod does.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, God, look at those straight lines. LOOK AT THEM!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there another practical way to earn a living other than painting and glover and glover? i know you can do commissions and sell that stuff, but thats not really useful early game

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

One of the starts has you working as a doctor off the bat which is great funds-wise.

Unfortunately you can't access the job unless your first character dies.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 13, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I get the third Mark for Sensation?

And is there a summon who can teach me Vak? edit: literally my next trip into the peacock door gave me "scholar: Vak". Sun-in-Rags be praised .

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 14, 2018

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
misread

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Verviticus posted:

is there another practical way to earn a living other than painting and glover and glover? i know you can do commissions and sell that stuff, but thats not really useful early game

No, other than the doctor job, which is great—60 seconds for 2 Funds and it never decays. I would guess that more jobs or job paths might come along when they put more backgrounds into the game.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do I get the third Mark for Sensation?

Put your Ambition in the Work verb

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Finally got that mirror but I turned out not to need it, having grabbed a 12 Lantern reagent from an earlier expedition and enough Lantern lore to hit 12 as well.

It made me wonder about the 12 Secret Histories also on that summon, though. I wonder if you can use it and an Unresolved Ambiguity to grade up all the members of a hydra cult.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tehan posted:

Put your Ambition in the Work verb

Got it, with 6 marks, and then didn’t have enough Grail to ascend because I was Heart cult and didn’t have any items to use. Decided to give it all up for a life of doing clerical work. I’m surprised they took me back considering at that point I was about a foot taller with extra limbs and organs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Got it, with 6 marks, and then didn’t have enough Grail to ascend because I was Heart cult and didn’t have any items to use. Decided to give it all up for a life of doing clerical work. I’m surprised they took me back considering at that point I was about a foot taller with extra limbs and organs.

Glover and Glover is a refreshingly inclusive employer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Verviticus posted:

hard labor would let you keep your head above water, I guess

45-second run, generates 1g at a time (for 2.66 per time tick), exhausts health, generates vitality

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

“Don’t mind Carstairs, funny looking fellow but a whiz with a spreadsheet. If he asks you out to lunch, say no.”

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Verviticus posted:

Early game those two are the best. You can assign some cultists to tasks which can generate money or items which can be auctioned.

Commissions are great for money to be honest, the chits they give are worth a lot. A silver one sells for 12 gold.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's funny how different the cultist skills are in usefulness, moth cultists can get rid of evidence but they die if they fail while heart cultists can gets rid of notoriety with no downside if they fail.

Tips for combining tomes:

Have some glimmering and erudition on the board before you start. The problem is that the research can take so long that they expire before you need them. The trick is to generate some more during the process. For glimmering Moonlit streets, painting with passion, dreaming with reason or visiting the club works. Erudition is trickier but handing inn commissions and dreaming with health have been good for me, the club can also give it to you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I usually have 3 commissions ready to go for exactly this purpose when combining lores

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Bramble posted:

This game made me buy the Sunless Skies early access.
how is that these days, and how does it compare to sunless seas? i kind of worry about the writing now that kennedy is gone

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Oh no, did he take all his writing out of the game?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
har har. in the case of sunless skies i think it's more like he never put it in. i thought he left failbetter to work on cultist sim before that game really got off the ground (so to speak...)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So what do all of the cultists do?

Moth: Destroy evidence (Chance of dying)
Lantern: Search for inspirations (chance of going insane)
Edge: Abduct strangers (chance of notoriety)
Winter: Create corpse (chance of notoriety?)
Grail: Abduct prisoner? (chance of notoriety?)
Heart: Eliminate mystique/notoriety (chance of notoriety)
Forge: Create/repair items (chance of death)
Knock: ?
Secret History: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Knock cultists "Hoodwink" which gives you low-level items and gold.

Are there SH cultists? I don't think I've ever seen one.