Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also light farming takes loving forever and I was doing it off and on with a bunch of parties doing nothing but that. I don't know if many people are even still running A1S for light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Umbrite stage was a mistake.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh yeah... I forgot that you need to FATE grind crystals in the HW areas for Anima weapons. I have AST at 51 (my only pre-60 job right now) so I can probably go through and collect crystals while getting some extra EXP.

I'm also finally going to scoop up all the sidequests I skipped in HW and beyond. Gotta get me that tasty lore.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I just finished the BLM anima lux and the light stage was probably the most tedious. Mostly grinded light off unsynced solo Wanderer's Palace and Void Ark. The latter seemed to give a bit more and might be faster if your queue times are good, but Wanderer's is a really short dungeon that's easy to spam so it's hard to tell.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

Hmm, might be worth doing on the side as something to keep myself busy.

The stages that are about delivering a bunch of items/poetics, and particularly the unID and Umbrite stages are perfect for this, since you can just dump beast tribe tokens/poetics/GC seals and (very) slowly progress in the anime stage while eg. playing alt jobs.

Light farming sucks, on the other hand, because it has to be specific content with the specific weapon/job you are doing the anime for, so you can't do it accidentally while leveling alts or doing your level 70 chores.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DizzyBum posted:

tasty lore.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Heya folks

I hate to be that poster, but I didn't see it covered in the OP, so I hope you don't mind my asking

- Is leveling soloable/questable/etc the same way WoW is? Furthermore, is leveling fun at all?

- How's the dress up dolls?

- What's the level cap loot grind like? Is it like with WoW where there's tiers that act as a stepladder along the way? Tokens to turn in?

I'm interested in checking this game out!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
You'll be following the main story for levelling. That's all solo but there will be dungeons and trials that require a party that are absolutely mandatory. The game will match you up quick tho and nothing in the main story is much to stress about except one or two fights near the very end

Dress up dolls is world class, best in the genre.

The game alternates between patches that introduce new tiers of gear* and savage raid content and "catch up" patches that adds a new 24-man raid that makes getting to the cap easier. You will be doing a variety of content for tomestones for gear, along with doing various trials or raids.

*crafting and gathering gear works different and is complicated

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Heya folks

I hate to be that poster, but I didn't see it covered in the OP, so I hope you don't mind my asking

- Is leveling soloable/questable/etc the same way WoW is? Furthermore, is leveling fun at all?

- What's the level cap loot grind like? Is it like with WoW where there's tiers that act as a stepladder along the way? Tokens to turn in?

1) Leveling is very gentle and you can do it solo with no problems, though you will have to group up for 4 & 8 man content at various points. Dungeon matchmaking makes this really easy. The game puts a big emphasis on its main story questline, and that will do the vast majority of the heavy lifting as you level up your first class. As for whether leveling is enjoyable....eh? I enjoyed the story early on, though the gameplay is notably slower than WoW and doesn't really come into its own until later. The game keeps the kid gloves on for longer than is probably necessary and treats you like you're new to MMOs, though having dealt with the playerbase for years now, this is probably a good thing.

2) Dress up dolls is good. Real good. The transmog dresser is a lot less sophisticated than WoW's "you touch it, you have that appearance forever anytime" system, but it's functional enough. Lots of cool armor and stuff to wear.

3) There are a couple ways to get loot at the level cap. 24 man raids let you take an item out once a week, there are 8-man trials that you get tokens from to trade in for gear, and there's a currency that drops from just about every instanced content you do (and lots of non-instanced stuff) that you can spend on loot. Crafted stuff is also pretty drat good at endgame, so that's nice.

Game's got an unlimited-time free trial up to level 35, so it's worth a try. Take your time and rejoice knowing that there's no need for alts; one character can be every class, which is pretty drat convenient. And yes, that does mean you could level every non-expansion class to 35 before paying a dime, if you're some kind of crazy person.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

worth noting is that the storyline takes forever to get anywhere, but it's charmingly written the whole way through and a lot of the later stuff depends on you giving at least a bit of a drat about the early bits so it's not a waste of time or anything

also it cannot be emphasized enough that the music owns, you'll be pumped up to fight basically every boss

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Heya folks

From the perspective of someone who just hit endgame:

-Leveling is soloable, but the path to do it is the main story, which does contain required group content (up to 8 people). The story starts off pretty weak, but it gets good, and there are a lot of moments that really captivated me once you hit the expansions. Once you're out of story quests, there are other options to level other classes, like repeatable "levequests", a Hunting Log of mobs to kill with each job, and stuff like dungeons giving out good xp and loot. There's also Palace Of The Dead, which is sort of a roguelite dungeon sort of thing you can do to level classes. I think the biggest drawback to leveling, because it's almost synonymous with the main story, at least on your first job, is that you're required to play through ALL the Main Scenario Quests, and after the end of the 2.0 storyline, there are a ton of filler quests before hitting the first expansion. There's some great stuff in there, like new Primals and dungeons, but there's also "run around town and talk to x npcs, walk back to the base". The pacing greatly improves from there, though.

-Glamouring gear is a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it it's cool. You can't wear stuff outside your class, but there are a lot of gear sets for each of them, and most are pretty easy to farm by running old raids and such.

-The main "endgame" gearing routes are Raids that come in 8 Man or 24 Man. 24 Man Raids just drop stuff that you roll on. 8 Man is a bit more complicated. You queue for each boss separately (there are four in each tier, and currently two tiers available), and upon winning, they drop four tokens that correspond to different gear slots. You can roll on the tokens, but you can only get one token from a boss a week. That said, you can beat the boss as many times as you want and still be eligible for loot until you get a token. There's also Savage Raids, which are the super hard modes and I can't tell you anything about that, but I think that just uses the loot drop system like 24 Man. Getting the "pre-raid" gear at level cap is mostly a matter of spending Tomestones, which are just currency you'll get for doing dungeons and some quests, you'll pretty naturally stray into them.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I really appreciate it y'all; I'll deffo start the download tonight and give it a shot!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Game's got an unlimited-time free trial up to level 35, so it's worth a try. Take your time and rejoice knowing that there's no need for alts; one character can be every class, which is pretty drat convenient. And yes, that does mean you could level every non-expansion class to 35 before paying a dime, if you're some kind of crazy person.

Are there any gimped functions while you're in free trial mode? Or any reason at all (extra monthly funbux or special perks) to sub during that time?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are there any gimped functions while you're in free trial mode? Or any reason at all (extra monthly funbux or special perks) to sub during that time?

No trading (in person or on the market board), no joining Free Companies (guilds), no shouting or sending tells to people. None of it should really matter until you're sure you wanna play the game in earnest.

you can get cosmetics and poo poo for being subbed for certain intervals of time but you do have to purchase the game, not just sub, so it's definitely not worth it imo

edit: i guess the game's only slightly more expensive than a month's sub, and it comes with a free month of game time, but :shrug:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can't join a guild, trade or send tells but that's pretty much it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of chat / social restrictions designed to prevent bots from making a zillion trial accounts and spinning out of control. No whispers, no trading, and no creating a party (though you can use the dungeon matching services just fine) are the big ones. It sucks, but it's fine while you get a handle on whether or not you like the game.

Also worth mentioning that race/gender is completely cosmetic, so be whichever flavor of anime calls to you most. You get a free race change thing eventually if you decide that you've made a Terrible Mistake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you want to be a dragon you have to buy HW also (unless they changed that)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of chat / social restrictions designed to prevent bots from making a zillion trial accounts and spinning out of control. No whispers, no trading, and no creating a party (though you can use the dungeon matching services just fine) are the big ones. It sucks, but it's fine while you get a handle on whether or not you like the game.

Also worth mentioning that race/gender is completely cosmetic, so be whichever flavor of anime calls to you most. You get a free race change thing eventually if you decide that you've made a Terrible Mistake.

You can actually be invited to a party though, so if you've got friends playing you can do content with them perfectly fine. And as long as someone else instigates you can reply to whispers.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Arist posted:

If you want to be a dragon you have to buy HW also (unless they changed that)

Stormblood. They started including Heavensward in Stormblood So now, there's 3 things you can buy. The base game (2.x), Stormblood (gives you 3.x & 4.x) and the combo pack(everything).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

don't buy stormblood until you at least hit level 50, imo

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
One thing I love in this game over WoW is no faction bs and you can play any class on any race. No "oh orcs could never understand ~The Light~ enough to become a paladin" garbage Blizzard loves so much.

Play what you like with whoever you like and all on one character to boot and the lore doesn't suffer one bit for it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

Heya folks

Aside from the stuff others said, it's worth mentioning that you can put in a sort of referral code from another player to get some free goodies:

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

You get an item that increases exp gain by 20% at levels <25, a fistbump emote, a couple of free teleport vouchers and some tokens you can trade in for some early/mid-game gear.
You don't have to actually play together with the person who invites you, or even play on the same server as far as i know. But of note when you want to do this:

quote:

* The recruitment code cannot be entered after a subscription has been established. Please be sure that the recruitment code is entered before then.

I'm not sure whether the free month that comes with buying the game counts as a subscription, but just to be sure, enter your referral before you buy the game.

by the way, here's one of those recruitment codes :ninja:
TKQ5323X

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Aside from the stuff others said, it's worth mentioning that you can put in a sort of referral code from another player to get some free goodies:

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

You get an item that increases exp gain by 20% at levels <25, a fistbump emote, a couple of free teleport vouchers and some tokens you can trade in for some early/mid-game gear.
You don't have to actually play together with the person who invites you, or even play on the same server as far as i know. But of note when you want to do this:

I'm not sure whether the free month that comes with buying the game counts as a subscription, but just to be sure, enter your referral before you buy the game.

by the way, here's one of those recruitment codes :ninja:
TKQ5323X

Ah cheers! This sounds cool

When do I put it in? I can't find where in the Mog Station it goes

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked up on it again (it's been a few years since i entered a recruitment code myself), and apparently the option to input a referral code only appears once you've actually registered a game code to your account, but before you've bought your first subscription.

So, whenever you get the game, during your first "free" month. Yeah it's a little bit clunky.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So I went to the Gold Saucer to get my Cactpot and apparently Yoshi-P is here?

wtf

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
He hops on the servers every now and again to say hi.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Also light farming takes loving forever and I was doing it off and on with a bunch of parties doing nothing but that. I don't know if many people are even still running A1S for light.

I'm able to do the light stage in 1-2 days of farming alliance raids, which I personally consider acceptable for grinding what are now top tier glamour items.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I went to the Gold Saucer to get my Cactpot and apparently Yoshi-P is here?

wtf

ask him when he's going to delete catgirls

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Truga posted:

someone hasn't played warframe

Heh. Since when is warframe fun :whatup:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Note Block posted:

I'm able to do the light stage in 1-2 days of farming alliance raids, which I personally consider acceptable for grinding what are now top tier glamour items.

Umbrite is the still the roadblock for Animas. At 70 you can plow through the rest unsynced.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

nier x ffxiv collab when??

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wacky Delly posted:

Umbrite is the still the roadblock for Animas. At 70 you can plow through the rest unsynced.

Just from doing normal roulette dailies I can get enough Umbrite through tomes in a couple days max. If I’m already farming something else, then I’m still earning even more tomes. I can cap on tomes like once or twice a day sometimes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Umbrite you can also plan ahead for and start working on before you even get to that step.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
god help me i'm back on my bullshit and leveling blm

flare seems underwhelming now though what with the damage dropoff stuff

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Umbrite you can also plan ahead for and start working on before you even get to that step.

I need to farm light for my BLM, umbrites for my SCH, unidentified crap for my SMN and aether oils for my... uh, i don't even remember.

There's not enough poetics in the world

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HenryEx posted:

I need to farm light for my BLM, umbrites for my SCH, unidentified crap for my SMN and aether oils for my... uh, i don't even remember.

There's not enough poetics in the world
Thankfully many of those have alternate ways to get them at least, beast tribes and alex for your unids, do the crystal tower weeklies for your oils. Umbrite is poetics only but you can grind leves for sands at least.

If anybody is starting a new anima I definitely suggest sitting down and looking at the entire process and making notes or a spreadsheet or some poo poo to organize and see how many things you can actually be working on simultaneously. Gotta make sure you spend those poetics as effectively as possible.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

god help me i'm back on my bullshit and leveling blm

flare seems underwhelming now though what with the damage dropoff stuff

Yeah, until you realize at 70 umbral hearts let you preserve enough MP after casting Flare to cast a second Flare. And then you can Convert for a third Flare. And pop a super-ether for a fourth Flare.

And then cast Foul. :unsmigghh:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Thankfully many of those have alternate ways to get them at least, beast tribes and alex for your unids, do the crystal tower weeklies for your oils. Umbrite is poetics only but you can grind leves for sands at least.

If anybody is starting a new anima I definitely suggest sitting down and looking at the entire process and making notes or a spreadsheet or some poo poo to organize and see how many things you can actually be working on simultaneously. Gotta make sure you spend those poetics as effectively as possible.

I don’t mean to empty quote this, but this.

Researching which anima you want ahead of time goes a long way to preparing for the steps. If you go into it with a plan, it can be an easy and even quick process.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Just gradually chip away at the Anima relic by buying the requisite parts gradually as you cap poetics. It should take around 2 months or so if you do roulettes consistently

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alder posted:

nier x ffxiv collab when??

Catgirl butts not powerful enough for this crossover.

Around a year ago somebody posted concept fanart of Nier: Automata crossover gear and it was all really well done. Their mount concept was to have a pod that you are hanging onto for dear life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

Catgirl butts not powerful enough for this crossover.

Around a year ago somebody posted concept fanart of Nier: Automata crossover gear and it was all really well done. Their mount concept was to have a pod that you are hanging onto for dear life.

https://twitter.com/HJZ_artemi/status/866202803269648384?s=19