Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I bought Mooncrash without realizing what it actually was, and it sure represents both things I hate most in gaming - time limits and inability to save - but damnit I am loving it a lot. If there's something you don't get much of in a long story campaign, it's the urgency and the adrenaline of surviving by the skin of your teeth, at least not the way I play them. Glad I erred into buying this, cause it's a fuckin roller coaster.

I just ran through the entire mining facility trying to find 3 hotdogs to save my life, and I may have found only one before the world ran out of juice, but at least none of the alien scum got the better of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

woodenchicken posted:

just ran through the entire mining facility trying to find 3 hotdogs to save my life

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well just wrapped the DLC up.
I enjoyed it. I did like that Basilisk ended up not being a huge piece of poo poo despite working for Kasma and genuinely was upset she couldn't get the spy extracted or have them not try to terminate Peter. Ending was pretty whatever but I hope this leads to more story DLC or Prey 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Loved the game but my question is did any of it actually happen, like i know its based on his memories and stuff and build empathy in the typhon morgan but it sucks that they build this whole cool world and then basicaly say "lol it was all a sim"

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 14, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ToxicFrog posted:

I would definitely like to see more games built around similar concepts, but I'm not sure I want bigger ones.

I guess I'd love to see more locations and more variation within said locations. More characters, more possible starting scenarios, some more variation. More possible weapons and unique ones.

:shrug: Just... more of the same to vary it up even further. I think. Its hard to put my finger on what I want exactly that isn't "Give me more variation."

If the gates of hell opened to me, I'd put it back on Talos, with you in charge of the crew that survived and escaped to one part of the station and fortified it. Now stray into it, save more people to have more "Lives", get the tools and weapons you need and find a way to get off the station.

Or don't. Because you probably shouldn't. :unsmigghh:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Loved the game but my question is did any of it actually happen, like i know its based on his memories and stuff and build empathy in the typhon morgan but it sucks that they build this whole cool world and then basicaly say "lol it was all a sim"

As I understand it, it is an extrapolation of the events Yu underwent. A "story based on real events" in which your choices further distort what actually happened.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Some of it can't have happened, at least not as presented. I think that all of the story memory missions took place (at the very least, the Spy's story mission and Director's escape had to have occurred), but other than that, I don't think you can come close to saying what's "real".

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well just wrapped the DLC up.
I enjoyed it. I did like that Basilisk ended up not being a huge piece of poo poo despite working for Kasma and genuinely was upset she couldn't get the spy extracted or have them not try to terminate Peter. Ending was pretty whatever but I hope this leads to more story DLC or Prey 2.
Has anyone tried butting any items in the Datavault Operator besides the Spy's KASMA key? Can the frame story character access any of them besides the key?

At one point, Basilisk gives you a clue, something about things carrying over between runs in ways you don't necessarily expect. At the time, I had just done Yu's story mission where you learn how to kill all the Typhon in the Crater. Was she trying to say that every character can detonate that? Or was there something else I missed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yes, it happened just the details might have been a little different.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's an open question how much is taken directly from Morgan's memories, how much is extrapolated from them to handle places where your actions diverged from hers, and how much is entirely fabricated to give Alex et al more information about your behaviour. And of course, the answers will be different depending on how you played, too.

I suspect disentangling those is effectively impossible short of asking the writers directly. We can make some guesses, though. Some bits, like the volunteer in psychotronics, seem a bit contrived, especially in conjunction with January's commentary, which imply that they were injected into the scenario. Alex is still alive, so if you kill him in the simulation that's a point of divergence, but on the other hand, even if you save him, we don't know that's how he was saved in reality. We know Morgan made it off the station, or Alex wouldn't have her memories to work with in creating the sim, so the self-destruct ending is definitely "non-canon", as it were.

The DLC, at least, confirms that the broad outlines are correct -- Talos Station did exist and was overrun by the Typhon; Typhon departed the station on shuttles before the main outbreak; Alex and Morgan Yu ran the station; Morgan created a series of operators based on her brain patterns to advise her and act as her proxies. It'll probably confirm other things as I keep playing, too, I haven't even unlocked all the characters yet.

Ravenfood posted:

Some of it can't have happened, at least not as presented. I think that all of the story memory missions took place (at the very least, the Spy's story mission and Director's escape had to have occurred), but other than that, I don't think you can come close to saying what's "real".

Pretty sure Dapper is talking about the base game, not the DLC.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
They changed Alex Yu's VA :negative:

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 14, 2018

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just realised you can double tap jump to boost forward with the jetpack instead of holding jump to float around slowly. Now I feel dumb.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

buglord posted:

They changed Alex Yu's VA :negative:

If we're proceeding under the assumption this DLC was the result of a modest budget, not surprised they couldn't get back an actor who's making Marvel money.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

How is the DLC implemented? Is it a part of the main game?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

haldolium posted:

How is the DLC implemented? Is it a part of the main game?

You choose it on the main menu, it's completely separate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just finished it. It was pretty fun. I thought I was going to be able to beat it in the same run I unlocked the 5th character but was only able to open up the test subject's objective mission and the 5th character's objective. So I had to redo the simulation again and clear it all again to do the last 2 characters objectives. I also was annoyed when I was doing the test subject objective and then found out the quest item was under a huge crate he couldn't move. Luckily I was able to physics the box away, it would of pissed me off so much if I had to rerun it all because a crate was in the way. I also died as the test subject during his objective because it seemed like when I attacked and killed typhons I would just die and his ending movie showed why but there was no warning at this at all. After the memory scene it instantly pumped corruption up to 4 and everything respawned so I just started fighting things. Then I was told I was a bad daddy and died instantly. So frustrated I just alt f4'd and it didn't actually save when I died so I could just restart the game and be right where I was.

I dunno if they could even implement a huge game with all the randomness. I guess it kinda links the events of prey to the ending of prey but it really didn't expand on it too much except the bad guys are really bad guys?

Story crap,
So they grabbed the launched operator right by the moon base and sent a hacker there to look at it? He didn't seem like a hacker because he was just like playing a vr game and they had their computers working on all the stuff. So when he finishes they just kill the guy. This seems like alot more effort than just collecting the operator and bringing it back. They could have just shot him at some base instead after he hacked the operator. He wouldn't of had the chance to mooncrash and get a shuttle and also fly back to earth with a mimic. It would have been a really loving interesting level if you had to then in reality work through the moonbase and everything was once again randomized.

And that operator with the copied Yu personality, wouldn't they also want that? Were they gonna just collect it later? cause now its on the moon. Wouldn't they had known that it had their company key on it because the spy mission had instructed her to place it on the operator? The same kind of key that could override controls on their hacker craft.

I guess it doesn't really matter. I just hope they make another game/sequel like this. I hope they let you have a pet mimic again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Had my first really good run where I unlocked the security character, escaped with the engineer, finally unlocked neuromod recipe although I didn't remember picking up that recipe at all, and told that loving shark what's what, at least twice in one run.

I need to do a couple of runs to unlock the final character and also grind some credits to buy more neuromods. Loving this, but a run takes a couple of hours so it'll have to be another time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Moon shark is a real gently caress head, huh. I've been starting the game with a disruptor pistol just to zap the gates so I don't have to lure it away.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Bogart posted:

Moon shark is a real gently caress head, huh. I've been starting the game with a disruptor pistol just to zap the gates so I don't have to lure it away.

I did this, found out crew annex had no power, turned around to leave and the moon shark was in the decontamination chamber and launched me into the ceiling and I died.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Voxx posted:

I did this, found out crew annex had no power, turned around to leave and the moon shark was in the decontamination chamber and launched me into the ceiling and I died.

I ran into this a lot doing the security officer's scenario. The biggest hint that a place is without power is that their gate isn't running, which is definitely better than loading in, realizing there's no power and there's no way in hell you're gonna platform up the inactive gravshaft, loading back out, dodging the shark, switching the power, dodging him again since power's back on and the gate's active, and loading back into the sector.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can check what places don't have power or if they are on fire or if a tram is down at any security computer. There's one in the command post in the crater.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This multiplayer mimic mode had better play like reverse prophunt

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Digirat posted:

This multiplayer mimic mode had better play like reverse prophunt

I feel like it might be someone needing to do an objective while mimics hide and harass. Prophunt will also be good.

Tenzarin posted:

You can check what places don't have power or if they are on fire or if a tram is down at any security computer. There's one in the command post in the crater.

Yeah after that I always go to central for the security terminal and fabricator there.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If I cant disguse myself as a post-it note saying "Not a Mimic" in Prop Hunt I'm canceling my pre-order.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Just finished it. It was pretty fun. I thought I was going to be able to beat it in the same run I unlocked the 5th character but was only able to open up the test subject's objective mission and the 5th character's objective. So I had to redo the simulation again and clear it all again to do the last 2 characters objectives. I also was annoyed when I was doing the test subject objective and then found out the quest item was under a huge crate he couldn't move. Luckily I was able to physics the box away, it would of pissed me off so much if I had to rerun it all because a crate was in the way. I also died as the test subject during his objective because it seemed like when I attacked and killed typhons I would just die and his ending movie showed why but there was no warning at this at all. After the memory scene it instantly pumped corruption up to 4 and everything respawned so I just started fighting things. Then I was told I was a bad daddy and died instantly. So frustrated I just alt f4'd and it didn't actually save when I died so I could just restart the game and be right where I was.

I dunno if they could even implement a huge game with all the randomness. I guess it kinda links the events of prey to the ending of prey but it really didn't expand on it too much except the bad guys are really bad guys?

Story crap,
So they grabbed the launched operator right by the moon base and sent a hacker there to look at it? He didn't seem like a hacker because he was just like playing a vr game and they had their computers working on all the stuff. So when he finishes they just kill the guy. This seems like alot more effort than just collecting the operator and bringing it back. They could have just shot him at some base instead after he hacked the operator. He wouldn't of had the chance to mooncrash and get a shuttle and also fly back to earth with a mimic. It would have been a really loving interesting level if you had to then in reality work through the moonbase and everything was once again randomized.

And that operator with the copied Yu personality, wouldn't they also want that? Were they gonna just collect it later? cause now its on the moon. Wouldn't they had known that it had their company key on it because the spy mission had instructed her to place it on the operator? The same kind of key that could override controls on their hacker craft.

I guess it doesn't really matter. I just hope they make another game/sequel like this. I hope they let you have a pet mimic again.

Remember, Basilisk rerouted some of the O2 into that emergency helm and tank without Teddy's knowledge in order to give you an out. The key being in the operator was irrelevant to the plan since you'd just panic and suffocate before you could do anything with it if things went as intended.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm doing my second run as Director Yu. The first time, the data upload stopped partway and told me I needed to learn Phantom Genesis II, spawn a phantom from a specific corpse, and scan it. I did that, but died before I made it back to the upload chamber.

This time, the data upload succeeded first try. Is this one of the things it remembers across runs, or are the upload prerequisites randomized each time and I just got lucky?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The former.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

ToxicFrog posted:

So I'm doing my second run as Director Yu. The first time, the data upload stopped partway and told me I needed to learn Phantom Genesis II, spawn a phantom from a specific corpse, and scan it. I did that, but died before I made it back to the upload chamber.

This time, the data upload succeeded first try. Is this one of the things it remembers across runs, or are the upload prerequisites randomized each time and I just got lucky?

It remembers.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
arkane putting the time-granting item anywhere besides randomized caches and large enemies seems like a big mistake

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Getting lucky with an out-of-depth item is an exciting part of rogue-ishes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bogart posted:

Getting lucky with an out-of-depth item is an exciting part of rogue-ishes.

In this case you can buy them, which means once you have enough sim points you effectively have no time limit.

Personally, I'm ok with this. You can either be fast and clever, or you can just crush the sim with brute force.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

In this case you can buy them, which means once you have enough sim points you effectively have no time limit.

Personally, I'm ok with this. You can either be fast and clever, or you can just crush the sim with brute force.
If you find the blueprints, which I didn't until my very last run.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I found the blueprints early on and it kinda trivialized the game for me, since things don't really respawn between characters unless corruption goes up. Clear the base with the first character then walk everyone else through their things with absolutely no opposition. I regret leaning so heavy in on them. They honestly shouldn't be loadout buyable, or actually, only being able to buy like 2 per character would help. Gonna self impose that on myself next time I play methinks.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

If you find the blueprints, which I didn't until my very last run.

You can also reverse engineer it with the engineer character.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triarii posted:

...poo poo, I'm an idiot. Of course. I reverse engineered an elite shotgun and never looked back, but that would have been a much better item.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I assume the “Pardon Our Dust” signs with the caricature of Alex on them are an Easter egg that only show up on NG+? I don’t remember them

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Smith Comma John posted:

arkane putting the time-granting item anywhere besides randomized caches and large enemies seems like a big mistake

Its very easy to make a ton of them, once you get the plan, which you will pretty quickly..

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Triarii posted:

Aren’t those single use blueprints?

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Unormal posted:

Its very easy to make a ton of them, once you get the plan, which you will pretty quickly..

that's exactly what I'm referring to

e: to be perfectly clear: I think they should not be buyable or fabbable

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ymgve posted:

Aren’t those single use blueprints?

No, you can only have one reverse-engineered blueprint at a time, meaning reverse engineering a second item will replace the first one, but they're each infinite use.

Destroying an item to create a single-use blueprint of it would be, uh, of limited utility.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't think it's a problem. If you want to sidestep the food clock / timer of the mode, you should be able to do so, but at a significant offset of spending your bounty points on it. People should be able to play the game how they want. I ended up just sprinting through and not caring about the clock. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished the engineer run (but couldn't find the loving code for the computer in the office next to yu's office, next to the actual shuttle... I saw a note saying 'stop putting your password on your desk' and I ransacked the entire office. Then I tried to do the security guard run and died. Then I started off as director Yu and my right-click refused to do anything at all. Couldn't summon a mimic or do my psi power. I tried to remap the mouse key to be the same as it was, that worked. I paged out. Right click worked fine. I went back into the game and it did nothing so I died again.