Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

Well I guess this solves the mystery of how the NRA is so effective

He is definitely obsessed with his 4-5 hobbies (guns, exotic fish/aquariums, craft brewing, hockey, and distance running) to an insane degree. I'm pretty sure that whales like him are where 80% of the donations come from.

His grandfather got him a lifetime membership to the NRA and he still voluntarily pays monthly membership fees to support the organization.

He also has really bad impulse control about any of his hobbies.

- He bought a $2,500 fish from China because there was a wait list and someone cancelled, so he had to make a decision RIGHT NOW or someone else might buy it.
- Every time there is even a hint of gun control talk at the state or federal level, he will just get on his phone and give the NRA and the GOA $500 each or whatever he has sitting in his checking account.
- He spends a ton of money to fly across the country to participate in marathons once a month.
- He told me that if they passed an assault weapons ban in our state, that he would immediately put his house on the market and keep his guns hidden until he could sell his house and move somewhere without one and bring his guns.

He is totally normal; until you get on the subject of guns, beer, running, fish, or hockey and then it's like someone flipped a switch and he will not be able to talk about anything else for an hour.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While he seems like a rather loony gun person, on the other hand I envy that he has the time and money to spend on things he loves. I can't count how many goofy hobbies I daydreamed about getting into that get stymed by the fact that I have neither the disposable income nor spare time to devote to them on that level.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Panfilo posted:

While he seems like a rather loony gun person, on the other hand I envy that he has the time and money to spend on things he loves. I can't count how many goofy hobbies I daydreamed about getting into that get stymed by the fact that I have neither the disposable income nor spare time to devote to them on that level.

All you have to do is have you parents own a large regional business and put you on payroll. Pretty simple.

He is getting "cut off" now, but is still spending like he's making ~115k, which is what is triggering his financial "crisis." He's still way better off than 90% of people, but I think he is having a ton of trouble going from "Never have to think about money for 30+ years" to learning how to budget.

He's in his mid-30's and has just been hanging out in a well-paid position at the company, but only learning exactly what he needs to do for his current job. His parents want to retire and are going to give it to his little brother instead.

He is a loony gun person, but until recently his gun enthusiasm was a lot more quiet. It's only in the last 3 or 4 years that he got very loud about.

He has always been very loud about fish and beer, though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$500 in Anime/Netflix and $500 for "decent clothes," because you can't wear your polo shirts and jeans to community college.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8f555t/22_years_old_and_have_about_125k_in_my_savings/

If your sex life only costs $500 a year that's pretty good I guess

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

He is getting "cut off" now, but is still spending like he's making ~115k, which is what is triggering his financial "crisis." He's still way better off than 90% of people...

99.93%, but don't stop to fix the ledger or we'll get behind on our guillotining quotas

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trustworthy posted:

99.93%, but don't stop to fix the ledger or we'll get behind on our guillotining quotas

He doesn't make that anymore.

He's down to around 55-65k depending on commission, but is spending like he makes 100k+. Like I said, I'm not crying for him. Some people just have terrible impulse control and combining that with 30+ years of never really having to think about money results in terrible decisions.

There is some mental block in 90% of people that prevents them from ever downsizing their lifestyle because it is some mental admission of failure.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Oops, yeah, I misread. Welp, too late now! :thermidor:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There is some mental block in 90% of people that prevents them from ever downsizing their lifestyle because it is some mental admission of failure.

It's just a hard thing to do even if people don't feel like they're failing. Most people don't even know where all their money goes, or they've locked themselves into structural lifestyle stuff that's painful to give up and take from their families. I've been on unpaid medical leave since January, and I don't see it at all as a failure, but it's been hard to figure out how to materially claw back where I spend money (especially while I'm sick and often too tired to cook and so forth).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Subjunctive posted:

It's just a hard thing to do even if people don't feel like they're failing. Most people don't even know where all their money goes, or they've locked themselves into structural lifestyle stuff that's painful to give up and take from their families. I've been on unpaid medical leave since January, and I don't see it at all as a failure, but it's been hard to figure out how to materially claw back where I spend money (especially while I'm sick and often too tired to cook and so forth).

Temporary medical leave is a different scenario than a permanent 50% pay cut.

It's crazy to think that you don't have to alter your lifestyle at all when you are bringing in half of what you used to for the foreseeable future.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
These never get old:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qjzh7/question_about_next_year_taxes_for_ages_2336_is/

quote:

My husband is 36 and I am 23, we recently got in a discussion with my husband about taxes. He quit is job about 4 months ago and started computer certification courses (A+, Linux, etc). He was in the marines and had some money leftover so he used that for schooling and other expenses. His classes will be over by July/August. He says that now he wants to wait until January to get a job so he will not have to pay (back taxes from being unemployed for a while then suddenly working). I want him to get a job ASAP since he goes to school maybe 3 times a week and plays video games/sometimes study the rest. I do not know that much about taxes but is he correct in that if he goes back to work now then he will have to pay extra taxes?

I don't think you can possibly pay more in taxes than you earn. Get to looking for a job.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sock The Great posted:

These never get old:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qjzh7/question_about_next_year_taxes_for_ages_2336_is/

I don't think you can possibly pay more in taxes than you earn. Get to looking for a job.

But a year off?!?

(I'd get bored... Plus possibly less employable)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

My husband is 36 and I am 23...he goes to school maybe 3 times a week and plays video games/sometimes study the rest

So many women in their early 20s that marry men that are 10-20 years their senior, then realize why their husband was going for someone so young.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

But a year off?!?

(I'd get bored... Plus possibly less employable)

Took a year off to travel and hike in nature. Landed with a higher paying job than when I left. If what you take off for is cool or useful you can almost certainly leverage that experience come interview time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

George H.W. oval office posted:

Took a year off to travel and hike in nature. Landed with a higher paying job than when I left. If what you take off for is cool or useful you can almost certainly leverage that experience come interview time.
You make valid points. But because you wanted to video game and avoid math? Maybe he can sell it as honing coding skills but from that lady's post I doubt it!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

These never get old:

Maybe they could.. and I’m just thinking out loud here.. both get jobs? Plus then the OP would learn how taxes work!

(Jk thread. She doesn’t mention children though I’m sure they’re bouncing around neglected somewhere.)

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 13, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Dip into 401k?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qmpm4/dip_into_401k/

quote:

I need to buy a car for a new job that will pay significantly better. Only have ~6k in 401K. Does it make sense to use that money since I’ll rebuild it pretty quickly at my new job or should I just take out a small loan? I have very good credit.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Maybe they could.. and I’m just thinking out loud here.. both get jobs? Plus then the OP would learn how taxes work!

(Jk thread. She doesn’t mention children though I’m sure they’re bouncing around neglected somewhere.)
That is a crazy idea, how can she be a stay at home wife if she works?!?

Actually, I am looking at her post history and she has a bachelors degree and a job at (I think) a small real estate agency. With no PTO or 401k and garbage health insurance. Nice!

And her husband won't lock the doors of their house/apartment. That was a big thread in r/relationships lol.

This is from the husband doesn't like work thread:

quote:

OK. Before he quit he was making around 40,000 before taxes. He already filed for this year and he ended up paying 1,000 in taxes. He was saying since he quit and has been living off of GI bill (which will probably expire when the class is over in a month), then he should wait until 2019 to get a job since he thinks he will have to pay the government for the months he has not been working which by the time 2019 rolls around will be roughly 10 months if he does not work...

quote:

It is from mycomputercareer (I know. I told him and he said he could get up to 20 certs in the course if he takes the exam and passes all of them) So far those are the only 2 he has taken and passed (even though he can get more). He said he would look for work after getting those two but brought up maybe he should wait until Jan for work due to not wanting to pay more in taxes etc.. I just told him he should be working a full time job anyway and should start working. I don't even think he knows what he wants he just says he wants to work with computers (he thinks geek squad would be good for him though I worry about the pay for that job)...

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That post juxtaposes nicely with the comment about responsible stay at home dad's being getting hit on by the other moms.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Oh lulz.

Business owner with 70k in personally guaranteed biz debt from several accounts w one bank. Can't decide to try and settle versus declare the big B.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qk748/business_owner_with_70k_in_personally_guaranteed/

quote:

My situation in a nutshell:

(1) I had a business that did really well for three years, and terribly for three subsequent years.

(2) During the three terrible years, I took on debt to try and keep it afloat and keep my bills paid. I used personal funds to also keep it floating.

(3) I finally ran out of money four months ago. Even my tiny retirement portfolio is gone. (Which I will deal with the IRS on that one when the time comes) I was a renter who never owned property (The economics and inflexibility of home ownership always creeped me out), I have no personal loans other than a car which is current, always paid on time, and will be paid off in a year. I also have no personal credit card debt. I have close family to help keep a roof on my head, but my financial life and independence is officially over for now. I'm basically starting from zero. As I just reduced my business operations and closed my office, I am now looking for a job (which is where a Chap 7 type of situation spooks me). I realistically wouldn't expect a new job in my field to pay me more than 70-80k, which where I live would make paying back these loans on a salary quite difficult.

As of right now, I'm holding several lines of credit, including two credit cards, all for the business, none of them personal. But I am the guarantor. The credit card debt is about 22% of that. Most of the accounts are in penalty (17% to 24%) with exception to one business loan of around 25k which has a low 7% rate. I've amassed about 4k in interest and fees this year alone as a result.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Lol like geek squad gives a poo poo about any technical skills. Probably right up his alley.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Parents want me to sign a mortgage for them

quote:

Throwaway for privacy reasons.

My parents want me to cosign a mortgage with my brother. They presented this as an investment opportunity and a way to help their children make money. Their plan is to gift us $20,000 and have my brother and I put down $10,000 each for the downpayment. Then we would 'rent' the house to our parents with them paying the monthly mortgage as their rent. They say we are welcome to sell the house when we are ready.

Some background on the family: -Parents filed bankruptcy over 10 years ago. Credit score is tanked. They live paycheck to paycheck and won't discuss where they are getting the $20k from (I am assuming from their 401k). -Brother works part-time with unstable income. Credit score under 650. Believes that this is a great investment. -My credit score is great which is why they need me to sign for the mortgage. But my income is $25,000/year. I can't afford the monthly payment if my parents fail to pay.

This seems like a terrible idea all around. My entire family is on board. My father attempted to apply for a mortgage in my name without my consent but got turned away because I was not present. How do I approach this situation without tearing the family apart?

How are there this many stories like this? I almost want to make a shittiest parent thread to find out because these stories make me cringe and there seems to just be more and more of them as I read /pf.

19 Year Old building credit but can't get a new car loan

quote:

I'm 19 years old, in the military with a steady paycheck and I'm wanting to buy a new 2018 Toyota Tacoma. the fee's are 4% of the final price plus $175 documentation fee's. Total price is around $35,000. I'm looking to put $2,000 down and pay the tax+fees with the rest of the money I have saved. Currently have a paid off car that's worth about $4k-$5k and I would sell that after I buy the truck.

I've tried getting a loan through the dealership and through USAA and I've had no luck. Problem is My dad and I have the same exact name even middle initial and so they are showing up with some of his credit cards, loans, etc and I think that's what's hurting it. My credit score is 710 but I only have 2 lines of credit and they were saying I should usually have 3 which surprised me but anyways...I even had my mom co-sign and even with her monthly of $35k Not a single person (credit union) picked up my loan offer. Salesman sent it out and told me companies could try and "bid" on my loan basically and tell me how much they will give me an APR but no luck.

I've never had any bad credit history, I have a secured USAA card that I've had for about 8 months now and payed it off right away and a military star card. I bank with both USAA and Navy Fed. I'm just not sure why I can't get a loan. Also what should I do with my situation?

[EDIT] I only have my car insurance payment, internet, and phone bill right now. I'm in military housing so I can 100% make the payments and I make $2200 a month.

This kid doubles down in the responses, absolutely refuses to rethink his choices.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 13, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cacafuego posted:

How are there this many stories like this? I almost want to make a shittiest parent thread
The r/relationships thread had a shittiest parent battle. It got real depressing real fast. Not even funny depressing, just... :smith:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

19 Year Old building credit but can't get a new car loan

This kid doubles down in the responses, absolutely refuses to rethink his choices.

Pack it up folks, we found the guy in the military who can’t get approved for a terrible car purchase.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

crazypeltast52 posted:

Pack it up folks, we found the guy in the military who can’t get approved for a terrible car purchase.

What a dipshit, he keeps saying “lol thanks I didn’t ask for life advice”.

Someone should really goad him into buying even more truck with worse financing terms.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What a dipshit, he keeps saying “lol thanks I didn’t ask for life advice”.

Someone should really goad him into buying even more truck with worse financing terms.

Tacoma? Nah bruh, you need a Ford F350 quad cab super duty with the diesel engine. Make sure you get all the dealer add-ons too!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Guy claims his mom makes 35k/month, and he joined the military....that has to be a typo or we have found the dumbest man in America (don't enlist. Don't enlist if you're rich, get a BS first from literally any school and be a noble).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Get a 2015 Tacoma for $20k instead. There, I saved you $15k.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Palladium posted:

Being a big bank is GWM. There's practically no real consequences to their actions when "bail us out or everybody else dies" always works.
Iceland took a hatchet to theirs and ended up better than fine, people should emulate them

e: whoops, this is way way old

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 13, 2018

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

It’s saving him now but being a Jr, III, etc of a BWM relative sucks. I’ve had to redirect bill collectors and remove so much wrong poo poo from my credit reports for my BWM dad. Just pay your cell phone bill damnit!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

howdoesishotweb posted:

It’s saving him now but being a Jr, III, etc of a BWM relative sucks. I’ve had to redirect bill collectors and remove so much wrong poo poo from my credit reports for my BWM dad. Just pay your cell phone bill damnit!

Or just stop being so vain as to name your kids after yourself.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Bhodi posted:

Iceland took a hatchet to theirs and ended up better than fine, people should emulate them

e: whoops, this is way way old

Yeah but we didn't nationlize the wealth of the capital class, so....

The 5 bankers we imprisoned managed to get their buddies in parliament to pass a special law that granted only those 5 probation out of jail, where one of them crashed a helicopter he had hidden through shell accounts while flying around visiting foreign wealthy, *while* wearing his electronic ankle bracelet. Hidden helicopter asset was not seized and no consequences have been handed for the event.

Additionally the capitalist are still firmly in control of both Rvk and Iceland as a whole. It was a nice PR stunt that was like 1/20th of what was needed, but not nearly enough to be anything sustainable.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

poopinmymouth posted:

Yeah but we didn't nationlize the wealth of the capital class, so....

The 5 bankers we imprisoned managed to get their buddies in parliament to pass a special law that granted only those 5 probation out of jail, where one of them crashed a helicopter he had hidden through shell accounts while flying around visiting foreign wealthy, *while* wearing his electronic ankle bracelet. Hidden helicopter asset was not seized and no consequences have been handed for the event.

Additionally the capitalist are still firmly in control of both Rvk and Iceland as a whole. It was a nice PR stunt that was like 1/20th of what was needed, but not nearly enough to be anything sustainable.

My man, have you seen how hard every other country has failed to do even one iota of what Iceland accomplished?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

crazypeltast52 posted:

Things must have really tightened up around the bases. When I was in the Army (do never enlist, yes I was enlisted) 25+ years ago you'd trip over terrible financing offers the moment you stepped off post. Cars, payday loans, strip clubs, I mean it was all there to drain your wallet. There were even a few (whole life insurance salesmen, I seem to remember) who had deals that allowed them on post and they'd walk around shilling in the barracks.

It was stupid easy to totally wreck your financial history for years to come, even for life (meaning you never learned). What is going on these days? An enlisted teenager with no credit and terrible decision making powers can't buy a new pickup he doesn't need?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Splicer posted:

The r/relationships thread had a shittiest parent battle. It got real depressing real fast. Not even funny depressing, just... :smith:

You could get even more depressed and see how many of the same posters end up in /r/raisedbynarcissists trying to put themselves back together after parental blackmail.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Sock The Great posted:

I don't think you can possibly pay more in taxes than you earn.

Fun fact: At one point in the 1970's Astrid Lindgren discovered that her tax rate was 102%.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Same with Ingmar Bergman.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qdth3/need_help_figuring_out_a_budget_for_a_working/

quote:

Need help figuring out a budget for a working class person with an expensive hobby (me)

hint: it's a truck

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I'm more interested in how he's only spending $450/ month on every other non-truck expense in his life combined including rent. Imagine living a monastic lifestyle because you love your rock-climbing truck and the places it can take you (on top of rocks, presumably).

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
pro reply

quote:

You are effectively working 83 hours per month to support your hobby in after tax dollars ($1500 / $18 hour).

If working half of each month to pay for a hobby that does nothing for your long-term financial health makes you happy, then I guess keep doing it.

Not pro follow up

quote:

difficult part is this truck is also my daily driver

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 14, 2018

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

GamingHyena posted:

I'm more interested in how he's only spending $450/ month on every other non-truck expense in his life combined including rent. Imagine living a monastic lifestyle because you love your rock-climbing truck and the places it can take you (on top of rocks, presumably).

He's got to be living with his parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My favorite soldier BWM story from a friend was one of his privates used his entire monthly paycheck for a Ford Raptor. He couldn't even pay for gas on the thing so he had to beg his friends to ride with him and pay for gas when he carted them around town. Enlisted soldiers are an absolute treasure trove of BWM stories.