Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The CSS will arrange the fighters by pokedex number until you catch them all, then they will be regrouped by their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
introducing echo fighter: fat pikachu

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, that Pikachu render is clearly a photoshopped Little Mac.

LOL brilliant

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kirby echo: Ditto

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

introducing echo fighter: fat pikachu

That's just Raichu.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicadas! posted:

That's just Raichu.

oh man now I want alolan raichu in smash :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Supercar Gautier posted:

One thing I happened upon: some characters' official renders have slightly changed, presumably after the demo was already finished. For instance, the campaign to make Pikachu slimmer continues apace:

Cursed

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

oh man now I want alolan raichu in smash :(

Buddy you're in luck, guess who's new to the pokeball items?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1006594331308724224

For extra fun, watch a bunch of Melee players fill their diapers in the replies.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think itd be better if they dont announce any new characters at all and let us discover them through playing the game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waluigi being snubbed again suits him, because his character is defined by infinite self-pity. Everybody cheating but Waluigi.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

For extra fun, watch a bunch of Melee players fill their diapers in the replies.

you don't understand

melee is the most profitable and popular esport on the planet

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The real answer is of course there won't be three Smashes at EVO because the Brawl community moves on to Ultimate, adding yet another game to their kill count.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Good.

Melee has needed to be taken behind the barn and put down for years. I love the game and it was one of my favorite games on the Gamecube but it's been 16 loving years. It's past time to let go.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Until someone figures out how to wavedash in Ultimate, I just can't see the Melee grognards moving on.

Though it looks like the next game is faster and may be a game both casual and competitive players can enjoy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
With the Pokémon trainer's Pokémon back to being a single character, do we know how are they're going to handle Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS?

I also really hope Peach gets a new Final Smash.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

With the Pokémon trainers Pokémon back to being a single character, do we know how are they're going to handle Zelda/Sheik and Samus ZSS?

Considering that Sheik still has bouncing fish and Zelda still has the Phantom Slash, odds are pretty good they're separate characters. I'd imagine that Samus and ZSS are the same.

Probably the only reason that the Pokemon team is back together is because it was the only way they could bring back PT, and since there's no penalty this time around you're free to "main" any of the three.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Christmas posted:

With the Pokémon trainers Pokémon back to being a single character, do we know how are they're going to handle Zelda/Sheik and Samus ZSS?

Sheik and Zelda and the Samuses are still separate chars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

With the Pokémon trainer's Pokémon back to being a single character, do we know how are they're going to handle Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS?

They're still separate characters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

The real answer is of course there won't be three Smashes at EVO because the Brawl community moves on to Ultimate, adding yet another game to their kill count.

Sorry I can't get with it. REAL GAMERS are still playing Combat on their 2600s

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do think it's pretty funny that Zero Suit Samus' final smash is getting in the suit and shooting a beam

like, just use the suit all the time you dummy

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Can c-stick move the menus around in smash 5? Whatever, the game's going to be trash compared to melee anyway

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

if they run 2 smash games next year (assuming 4 and ultimate) im wondering how many entrants are gonna be in 4 compared to 5. melee community doesn't move on to the next game but brawl smashers jumped ship to 4 and will definitely do so for 5. if anything they should just do it for ultimate

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

I do think it's pretty funny that Zero Suit Samus' final smash is getting in the suit and shooting a beam

like, just use the suit all the time you dummy

I don't get the change, her ship shoots a huge beam just fine, why doesn't she just use her ship.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Sorry I can't get with it. REAL GAMERS are still playing Combat on their 2600s

You should become a real gamer as well. Trying hard to master a skill is good and healthy.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bef posted:

if they run 2 smash games next year (assuming 4 and ultimate) im wondering how many entrants are gonna be in 4 compared to 5. melee community doesn't move on to the next game but brawl smashers jumped ship to 4 and will definitely do so for 5. if anything they should just do it for ultimate

I don't go to tournaments so my opinion might not be applicable, but I know for a fact that I am dropping 4 like a brick after this comes out. "EVERYONE IS HERE," and it seems to have good mechanics and crunchy hitsounds so I don't really see a point to sticking around.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Melee and Ultimate seem like they'd be the new primary Smash meta tbh. Melee dies hard (and i loved it back in the day too), but this game looks strictly superior to both Brawl and 4, i see no reason for 4 players not to migrate to Ultimate. Only 2 Smash games, idk what that other guy is even talking about.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
honestly as much as I like to make fun of melee I kinda agree, Smashu feels like Sm4sh but better in every way

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4 could survive the release of Ultimate if Ultimate has some major systemic flaw, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bef posted:

From what I've seen, Smash 4 players are very ready to move away from that game. Down the line it'll probably be Melee and Smash Ultimate, but I'd also expect a transitional period.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah theres 0 reason to play 4 after this game is out. 4 looks sluggish compared to what we saw, kinda like how 4 was fast and refreshing compared to brawl

also, obvious this was coming but

https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1006991515745308673

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

bef posted:

I suspect 4 will die out the same way Brawl did. I'm struggling to think of reasons to play 4 over 5 other than sunk cost.

Melee will always be around because it's so different from the other smash games, and fans of that style of play have nowhere else to go, since PM is banned at many events. Rivals of Aether has more crossover appeal to Melee players than the later Smash games, despite not being a Smash game and having some pretty big differences of its own because of it.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 14, 2018

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ultimate also looks like it's a better transition game for Melee players to branch out into as well. It's still Smash 4's neutral play but its a lot more fast-paced and aggressive compared to WiiU's more defensive nature. There's a really cool blend of game design elements between the two that are coming together to make something really special and unique. Ultimate looks like its a genuinely good as hell game to practice for years and years.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think mr. wizard is a huge moron and an rear end in a top hat but also i think melee has gotten enough years at evo. they don't need it as much as some other games do, there's no shortage of smash majors through the entire year as it is. having multiple smash games headlining evo is just weird to me now. i'm sure ultimate will be there just because of the sheer number of players and viewers they get for it, hopefully it's entertaining to play and watch

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

Ultimate also looks like it's a better transition game for Melee players to branch out into as well. It's still Smash 4's neutral play but its a lot more fast-paced and aggressive compared to WiiU's more defensive nature. There's a really cool blend of game design elements between the two that are coming together to make something really special and unique. Ultimate looks like its a genuinely good as hell game to practice for years and years.

this is why, as a melee/pm preferred player, i am excited. i dont mind smash 4s neutral as long as i can be fast and smack things mindlessly. i'm not a patient man.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharrrk posted:

i think mr. wizard is a huge moron and an rear end in a top hat but also i think melee has gotten enough years at evo. they don't need it as much as some other games do, there's no shortage of smash majors through the entire year as it is. having multiple smash games headlining evo is just weird to me now. i'm sure ultimate will be there just because of the sheer number of players and viewers they get for it, hopefully it's entertaining to play and watch

:emptyquote:

a lot of melee pros aren't really flustered either because yeah, theres a shitton of tournaments as it is, and because mr wizard is a poo poo head

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

bef posted:

this is why, as a melee/pm preferred player, i am excited. i dont mind smash 4s neutral as long as i can be fast and smack things mindlessly. i'm not a patient man.

As another melee/pm player I like what I've seen so far. I'm not a "melee uber alles" kinda person. I don't think it's the end-all be all, I just prefer it to the other Smash games. I'm totally up for something different though. I quite liked brawl+ a lot and always felt something along those lines was the way the series should've gone. Keep the sick combos and fast pace but lower the tech barrier a bit, and maybe compensate by making special attacks deeper and more diverse.

Ultimate looks like a step in that direction, so I look forward to trying it out.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah there's no chance they're talking about ditching melee and keeping both 4 and ultimate. 4 players will migrate to ultimate basically no questions asked. if they only drop one, 4 will definitely be it.

that said i'm 100% cool with dropping melee as well and only keeping ultimate. i loved the hell out of competitive melee for a long time in my life. i still never quite liked competitive smash 4. but either way i've moved on. that game is so stagnant to me now. nothing ever changes. all the pros i liked to watch keep changing to the top tier characters. i know ultimate will never replace melee for the melee players but i'm ready for something new

edit: also all the fuckin CRTs you gotta lug around for the melee crowd lol

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 14, 2018

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Props to that catastrophic Star Fox game that nobody played for prompting the Smash devs to redesign Wolf's appearance. His new character design is crazy better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLG2LGY95f4

Too bad Fox still has that huge forehead!

My thumbs missed Wolf. My hands still 100% remember his moveset. In exchange they forgot the comforting warmth of my mother's grip.

Whatev fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

maybe mr wizard just hates hunting down crts for melee players to play on