Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
OSX is still the most stable operating system I have ever used. That alone makes Jobs better than Musk. Despite Jobs being a sociopath who made overpriced products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pro-click zone.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Zoran posted:

That’s unfair. Steve Jobs had at least a working understanding of what is physically possible, cared about actual product quality, and had the decency to devote most of his sociopathic power of self-delusion toward killing himself with juice cleanses.

imo jobs should have given himself worms to eat the cancer

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/MsKellyMHayes/status/1006957004034887680

This may have been posted already but I missed it

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phone posted:

teslas are explicitly cars for children

Power wheels for incels.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

check out this thread

https://twitter.com/forecasterenten/status/1007051416915963904?s=21

klobuhar vilsack and o malley lmao
https://twitter.com/davidagordon9/status/1007052848733945856?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Power wheels for incels.

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i know there's tesla to talk about, but tom perez is going to bar superdelegates from voting in the first round at the convention and a bunch of elected officials are pissed

i'd rather do away with them entirely but the chances we have an exciting convention just went up

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What does the "first" round consist of?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What does the "first" round consist of?

the bound delegates vote for their candidate, so we'll already know how that vote plays out. second round kicks in and people either unify or things go to poo poo

the 2020 field is about as open as we've seen sine 2004

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is this why the succ plan was called medicare extra for all [with cheese]

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all will unite behind Bernie if he's the leader going into the convention, right? I mean, we got behind Hillary (even though she didn't want us) -- it's just a shame she didn't want to be president enough to, you know, loving campaign for it and all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

the bound delegates vote for their candidate, so we'll already know how that vote plays out. second round kicks in and people either unify or things go to poo poo

the 2020 field is about as open as we've seen sine 2004

So what are the circumstances that require a second round? In 2016, did it go to a second round? I really didn't pay much attention to the actual convention.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A second round of delegate voting happens if no candidate gets 50%+ of the votes in the first round.

The last time this happened was 1952.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

So what are the circumstances that require a second round?

getting a time machine to go back to the 50s/60s when the primary process was an absolute clusterfuck compared to today's

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

emdash posted:

Not only that, thousands of people reserved their chance to pay 40k (or much more, practically speaking, because it's even more poo poo as a whole with no options and because Tesla says they're losing money on the base model) literally a year in advance

Is it just that the electric engine and battery cost a whole lot? I imagine most of the car outside of that shouldn't be fundamentally different from other cars, if not for the stupid decisions of Musk, so I'm not sure why it was so difficult for him to push the price point down from the higher end models to the Model 3.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

A second round of delegate voting happens if no candidate gets 50%+ of the votes in the first round.

So then this rule essentially removes super delegates?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Please tell me Rahm won't be reelected

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

barring some fantastical situation that results in a three way split, yes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Effectively, yes, barring a three+ way split.

But super delegates have never mattered in the floor vote, so it's something of a wash.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

actually even if that happens it still removes super delegates because all delegates become free in the second round

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

forgot, can a candidate go: "give all of my pledged delegates to biden" or something?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

forgot, can a candidate go: "give all of my pledged delegates to biden" or something?

after round 1, yes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Raskolnikov38 posted:

after round 1, yes

ok cool so its basically "whoever wins" followed by "absolute clusterfuck where chaos reigns supreme"

perfect

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

anime was right posted:

The way the rules work now: if the candidate drops out the delegates become unpledged.

I don't think Perez has clarified if, under his proposal, this would mean they couldn't vote until round two or (more likely) they just remain bound to their original candidate.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
CNN/MSNBC will still count the SDs in their charts regardless of the rule change.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Aliquid posted:

i know there's tesla to talk about, but tom perez is going to bar superdelegates from voting in the first round at the convention and a bunch of elected officials are pissed

i'd rather do away with them entirely but the chances we have an exciting convention just went up

Whoa

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so perez did a decent thing

still shoulda gotten rid of them entirely but eh good on him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Agean90 posted:

so perez did a decent thing

still shoulda gotten rid of them entirely but eh good on him.

I'm fairly content with this I guess

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

If super delegates still pledge and the media still reports it in delegate totals it does not practically change anything

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Matt Zerella posted:

CNN/MSNBC will still count the SDs in their charts regardless of the rule change.

I think this change might prompt them to at least keep two counts.

But they'll still do stuff like inaccurately report that the Iowa precinct caucuses bind delegates.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah the superdelegates' actual votes haven't mattered but letting them still be "delegates" is still going to lead to Biden having a "600 delegate lead" in September 2019.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah the superdelegates' actual votes haven't mattered but letting them still be "delegates" is still going to lead to Biden having a "600 delegate lead" in September 2019.

very doubtful. there won't be any push to clear the field, like there was for clinton, and most elected and dnc superdelegates will stay on the sidelines until they see how the first few primaries shake out and which of their friends is doing well.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Uncle Wemus posted:

Please tell me Rahm won't be reelected

when’s he up for re-election and is anybody substantial challenging him?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Aliquid posted:

tom perez doesn't have that power.

he can recommend it, but first the rules & bylaws committee has to pass it (june 30), then the delegates to the dnc vote on it in august.

and it's changed a bit:

quote:

After more than three hours of debate, most committee members seemed satisfied with a "third way plus" plan that would only let superdelegates vote on the first ballot for president if the outcome is already predetermined by the pledged delegates.

The proposal is based on the "third way" option introduced by committee member and American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten. Supported by Democratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez, it originally would have only given superdelegates voting rights if there was no nominee after the first ballot, something which hasn't occurred since 1924.

and there are still party cranks who are vociferously opposed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
anyway just looking forward to the dems whiging themselves somehow at the 2020 dnc

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
after that we can get our pesky civil war over with where mexico and canada help maybe idk and somehow drug lords become the president of new texas

that makes about as much sense as anything else these days

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

after that we can get our pesky civil war over with where mexico and canada help maybe idk and somehow drug lords become the president of new texas

that makes about as much sense as anything else these days

idk how the 2nd civil war ends all i know is that if if live through it its because i didnt do enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Y'all will unite behind Bernie if he's the leader going into the convention, right? I mean, we got behind Hillary (even though she didn't want us) -- it's just a shame she didn't want to be president enough to, you know, loving campaign for it and all.

the #resistance definitely won't

• Locked thread