Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Trip report, my duck breasts could have used some improvement but it was still the first dish to be polished off the table by the group. I went with 135 F for 2 hours; next time I'll go for longer since they wanted it more tender.

The skin wasn't as crispy as I wanted, so I'm guessing I didn't pat it dry well enough; some tips for doing that properly (I used paper towels) would be helpful, if there's a right way to do it. Should I have gone lower than 135 or is it pink enough?

It was also slightly oversalted, but the orange sweet and sour sauce I served with it (not pictured) neutralized the saltiness quite well.

Subjunctive posted:

What about just hitting the seal button earlier?

When I do that there's still pockets of air left afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argue posted:

When I do that there's still pockets of air left afterwards.

Hmm. If I'm bagging a single piece of regular-shaped meat, I always have some time between "air pretty much gone" and "juices removed". Odd.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

Trip report, my duck breasts could have used some improvement but it was still the first dish to be polished off the table by the group. I went with 135 F for 2 hours; next time I'll go for longer since they wanted it more tender.

The skin wasn't as crispy as I wanted, so I'm guessing I didn't pat it dry well enough; some tips for doing that properly (I used paper towels) would be helpful, if there's a right way to do it. Should I have gone lower than 135 or is it pink enough?

You might want to try a higher temp actually, maybe 145. The meat will be more cooked, so it's easier to chew and feels more tender. But it won't be much drier. It will also render out more fat, which can make searing easier and the meat better (more tender, more flavor). I haven't tried pan searing duck breasts, because the shape is so irregular. I've done duck and chicken this way: Cool down in bag, debag and pat dry, salt skin side, blast under broiler. The meat goes in cool and you can keep the oven door open, so the risk of overcooking is low. Actual core temp at serving is hard to predict if you don't have a temp gauge to check with. But if the skin is well seared and the sides are warm, chances are it will feel fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Helps to try and SV the breast skin side down and pressed flat to help with the rendering of fat. I wouldn't go higher temp.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just spent half a benjamin on 2 steaks. I am excite.

One is a 21 day dry-aged New York.

The other is a Wagyu called Akaushi. It was kind of pricey. But it sounds fantastic. Lots of marbling. MMMM....

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Argue posted:

Vacuum sealing is a pain; the juice keeps getting squeezed out before the seal is finished. Will my idea work, or has this been done before:

Put the stuff in the bag, then seal the opening of the bag like this (o is open space, -- is sealed):
|ooo-----------------|
|-----------------ooo|

Then I hit the vac button which sucks the air out, but now the juice has to go through a long passageway before it can reach me, so I have plenty of time to seal it up before it hits the opening. I haven't tried this yet!
have you tried putting the bag with the food into the freezer for a bit so the liquid freezes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if you're not getting all the air out you're using too small of bags 2

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Herrrre we go!

[Edit] done!

Wagyu Akaushi

21 Day Dry-Aged NY Top Loin

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 14, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Feenix posted:

Herrrre we go!

[Edit] done!

Wagyu Akaushi

21 Day Dry-Aged NY Top Loin

So which one tasted better?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Feenix posted:

Wagyu Akaushi

:stwoon:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

nwin posted:

So which one tasted better?

Close call, but I’m leaning ever-so-slightly to the Wagyu. Both were the best steaks I’ve yet cooked, and the dry-aged was soooooo tender, but the Wagyu was pretty tender too, and had a more buttery feel to it.

( the Wagyu alone was 31 dollars but it was 1.25 pounds of pure awesome.)

130 degrees for 120 min. Pat dry, MAPP torch sear. Finished only with a sprinkling of Maldon flake salt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sous Vide to rare and then cooking it to medium mostly worked, but I used a tenderizing process that featured a lot of salt. That wound up not being sous vide friendly. And I forgot to grill the steak for color before searing it.

The coloration was no big deal, but it was like eating a steak made of salt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does grilling before searing help? I’ve only done one or the other, not both.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just hoping to give the whole steak some a color other than "grey" before charing it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What colour would you get from grilling that’s different from searing, and why are you charring it?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm using the words the wrong way. I want the grill marks and want the rest of the steak to have a browned color. So it would be browning it on a pan, then using an electric grill/griddle to add the grill marks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RandomPauI posted:

I think I'm using the words the wrong way. I want the grill marks and want the rest of the steak to have a browned color. So it would be browning it on a pan, then using an electric grill/griddle to add the grill marks.

Ah, you want grill lines but not gray negative space. I mean, if it were me, I'd give up on the grill lines and just pan sear for coverage. Or MAPP torch.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Vacuum sealing is a pain; the juice keeps getting squeezed out before the seal is finished. Will my idea work, or has this been done before:

Put the stuff in the bag, then seal the opening of the bag like this (o is open space, -- is sealed):
|ooo-----------------|
|-----------------ooo|

Then I hit the vac button which sucks the air out, but now the juice has to go through a long passageway before it can reach me, so I have plenty of time to seal it up before it hits the opening. I haven't tried this yet!

For most of my sous-vide cooking that has any liquid in the bag, I don't even seal it. I make the bag longer than necessary and clip the open top end over the lip of whatever container I'm using.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

RandomPauI posted:

That's an awful lot of extra effort and probably extra doneness for some stripes. It might actually be more practical to buy and use a branding iron.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paint them on like fast food places do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Use a charcoal chimney and do two steps at once

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Paint them on like fast food places do.

This, but unironically. Maybe it could be a big thing. Some viscous, soy/balsamic concoction you paint on for added visual and flavor punch, while also being philosophically interesting post consumerist or something.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you theoretically "paint" grill lines with a powerul soldering iron?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mmmm residual lead

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well obviously with a new one never used for soldering.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not a solder but laser. Sorry about the dirty hands, and mentioning it so you notice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjgow_XHwI

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, why about 3d print the sauce lines mentioned earlier and the air frying the whole thing?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Now I need to try putting in grill marks with the plasma table at work.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I'm warming up to the heat gun. I'm used to using a heat gun to remove tablet screens and such, where leaving it in one spot too long is a bad idea, so I just had to ignore my compulsion to do that. :) Just leave it in one spot with the nozzle right up to the meat until it gets a decent sear and then slowly move on to the next area. My guinea pig guest and I prefer the texture this way over the charcoal chimney, plus I don't have to go outside to do it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use a towel and iron to melt screen glue :haw:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

poor light but drat this was good

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Did a 36hr @154f brisket this weekend. As a testament to my cooking vessel I woke up this morning after stopping the cook at 4pm Sun and the temp was still 95f at 7am Mon morning. This is why a cooler is the best container for cooks. I'm sure it helps me save a bit of energy too. Also brisket turned out amazing and allowed me to confirm one of my suspicions from previous cooks.

Perviously I'd take a whole packer season w/ salt & pepper and split in two. Cook half and freeze half. Then when cooking the 2nd half I'd just throw it in frozen and cook. This results in a more dry less desirable brisket. This time I thawed then cooked and everything came out as it does when fresh. Only took me 4 total cooks to figure out the cause of the dry-er briskets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d have thought a brisket too thick to SV safely. That’s why I don’t do whole pork shoulders. I wonder if I’ve been denying myself for nothing.

If you were to finish by smoking it, would you cook all the way to temp and then put it on the smoker for a couple of hours, or leave a couple of degrees to go?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sterster posted:

Then when cooking the 2nd half I'd just throw it in frozen and cook. This results in a more dry less desirable brisket. This time I thawed then cooked and everything came out as it does when fresh. Only took me 4 total cooks to figure out the cause of the dry-er briskets.

Hmm. Perhaps the change from frozen to quite warm, which isn't happening evenly at the exact same time across the meat, is tearing the structure more than otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I’d have thought a brisket too thick to SV safely. That’s why I don’t do whole pork shoulders. I wonder if I’ve been denying myself for nothing.

If you were to finish by smoking it, would you cook all the way to temp and then put it on the smoker for a couple of hours, or leave a couple of degrees to go?

Cook to temp will naturally happen because you're gonna do 48+ hours for something like brisket. Then smoke for 2 hours. Then wrap it and let it sit for a bit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Hmm. Perhaps the change from frozen to quite warm, which isn't happening evenly at the exact same time across the meat, is tearing the structure more than otherwise.

There was a thing earlier in the thread where the SV Everything folks testes different treatments of frozen food, and cook-to-temp-from-frozen came out worst.

Bottom Liner posted:

Cook to temp will naturally happen because you're gonna do 48+ hours for something like brisket. Then smoke for 2 hours. Then wrap it and let it sit for a bit.

Right, but do I cook to final temp, or lower than that and let the smoking take it the rest of the way?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I don't even care about the temp because it is cooked all the way via the SV. I'm only throwing it on my grill with wood to provide a very light smoke as already cooked meat doesn't accept smoke well. Additionally this is to create the bark. I'd say if you have the time and already smoke you may just want to keep doing that. I only have a gas grill and as mentioned it doesn't provide for a great smoky flavor. The SV aspect of it just saves me from burning gas for 8 hours

As for cooking from frozen I'm convinced it is possible but produces a inferior end product. I think that this goes across all proteins in my experience at this point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sterster posted:

I don't even care about the temp because it is cooked all the way via the SV. I'm only throwing it on my grill with wood to provide a very light smoke as already cooked meat doesn't accept smoke well. Additionally this is to create the bark. I'd say if you have the time and already smoke you may just want to keep doing that. I only have a gas grill and as mentioned it doesn't provide for a great smoky flavor. The SV aspect of it just saves me from burning gas for 8 hours

As for cooking from frozen I'm convinced it is possible but produces a inferior end product. I think that this goes across all proteins in my experience at this point.

I have a proper smoking setup, but it’s harder to time than SV. I wonder about doing an hour’s smoke, SV to done, then finishing back on the smoker for bark. I’ll have to do some delicious experimentation.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
If you care about smoke ring and having a deep smoky flavor you'd have to smoke, sv, smoke. Additionally, you can cheat a bit using liquid smoke or smoked seasonings in your bag/rub to help the smoke flavor but you miss the smoke ring. Smoke ring is only a visual thing though and if it really matters you can get some I think curing salt or something that will replicate the ring.

I'm just not convinced it's worth smoking, taking it off. SV'ing then throwing back on the smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

There was a thing earlier in the thread where the SV Everything folks testes different treatments of frozen food, and cook-to-temp-from-frozen came out worst.

Right, but do I cook to final temp, or lower than that and let the smoking take it the rest of the way?

Final temp because the smoking shouldnt go higher than you want anyways in 2 hours. You just want to put flavor and bark on the outside, not cook it at all in the smoking.